• Published 14th May 2012
  • 2,743 Views, 121 Comments

A Lighter Shade Of Darkness - veteranO'awesome



2042. Some of us would have called it the end of days, but I called it a new beginning.

  • ...
4
 121
 2,743

Chapter 2

(A/N) Well, here's another chapter!

As one of my “examiners” turned the lights back on and the others left, I tilted my head so I could get a better look at my surroundings.

Giant screens circled the room facing towards the ground. Below them were keyboards, which I assumed to be the controls. The seemingly endless amount of computers was not what worried me. It was the fact that on the screens were what looked like maps to other worlds (It was the year, 2042, so we had discovered other planets that we could access).

I already knew Archimedes’ plan was to destroy Earth and go somewhere else, but according to these, he wanted to take over other planets and destroy them as well.

I knew I had to do something, but I was strapped to a damn table! I continued to get frustrated with my thoughts that I didn’t notice one of the what-I-assumed-to-be scientists walking over to me with a rather pointy syringe in his hand. “I’m going to clean out that head of yours.”

Elsewhere

“And…there! The trans-dimensional viewer is ready to go.” “Oh, I’m so excited! I can’t wait to see this.”

Earth

He was about a foot away from my face with the syringe before I came back to my senses. With in-human reaction time, I spit in his face which caused him to turn the syringe away from mine.

I then immediately lifted my head, pushing the syringe into his eye and hitting his brain. He fell over, dead, and I took this time to free myself.
“Jackie?” I asked. Jackie was my helmet’s AI. Even though the helmet was sitting on a table away from me, I could still talk to it.

“Yes, Shade?” It said.

“I need you to scan these braces and see what they’re made out of.” About a second after I said that, a red light shined on the table I was laying on.

“Your braces are made of leather.”

Jackie said. “Do you still have a connection to my suit?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Then expand the fibers of my suit for a few seconds."

“Yes, Shade.”

I suddenly felt a sensation in my chest, arms, and legs as my muscles tightened. I easily broke the straps and stood up. “Feels good to be ‘free’ for a while, huh Jackie?” I said as I put my helmet back on. “I guess so.”

Our lovely conversation was interrupted when a squad of APM’s showed up in the room. “And I thought I wouldn’t get to have any fun.” I said, cracking my knuckles.


Elsewhere

“Alright Rainbow, it’s ready. I just need another unicorn to help me out. Can you go get Rarity?” “Sure thing, Twilight! I’ll get her to ya in ten seconds flat!”

Earth

"Let me guess, I'm under arrest." I said. "Yes. By order of Archimedes." Said one of them. "Then bring it."

I ran at one of the guards and jumped in the air. While going up, I turned upside-down and grabbed his shoulders and lifted him up with me. I flipped him over my head, putting him into the ground and knocking him unconscious.

I grabbed his pistol from his holster and sent three bullets barreling into the rest of the guards' heads before they could even un-holster theirs. I reached down and grabbed a belt full of frag grenades, an assault rifle, and a load of ammunition for good measure. I walked out of the room and onto a thin bridge. "Fuck you, Archimedes. You may have already destroyed Earth, but no other world will suffer your reign." I said under my breath.

I tossed the grenades into the room, not even looking back. I continued to walk until the bridge started to shake. Apparently, the combined power of the grenade cluster and the super-computers made a very large and powerful explosion. The bridge crumbled and I fell off. I activated my rocket boots, but a chunk of the bridge fell and started heading straight towards me.

"I'll be damned. More bad luck!" I shouted to no one in particular as the piece of the bridge hit me in the head and caused me to fall into the black pit of unconsciousness.


Elsewhere

"Thank you for coming Rarity. I appreciate the help." Twilight said. "It's not like I had a choice." Rarity mumbled, glaring at Rainbow Dash. Rainbow just put on a sheepish smile and shrugged. "I am rather excited about seeing a new place, though. What do I need to do? I don't know any complicated spells like this." " All you have to do is channel your magic into the viewer to stabilize it. Rainbow Dash, would you count down for us to start the spell?" "Sure thing Twilight! 3....2....1....CAST IT!"

Sparks came out of the two unicorns' horns as they started the viewing spell. A large circle appeared in front of them and started to swirl. After what seemed like hours of getting the viewer ready, it finally presented something. In the square, a man in bluish-grey armor and a helmet was falling into the unknown.

(A/N) So as you can probably tell, the ponies are coming in on the next chapter. I will wait for a few comments before I make another chapter. I also need a proofreader. Comment and I will pick one!