• Published 14th May 2012
  • 2,745 Views, 121 Comments

A Lighter Shade Of Darkness - veteranO'awesome



2042. Some of us would have called it the end of days, but I called it a new beginning.

  • ...
4
 121
 2,745

Chapter 1

(A/N) The first chapter of my first fan-fic ever. I'm SO EXCITED. I appreciate any notices if there are any errors within my story. I will also need a proofreader. (Recently added note) It may look bad from the start, but in the third chapter, it turns into a story worth liking and/or favoriting. And if you already like the story, you'll love it as it progresses.

My legs felt like they were going to snap in half. I had run over a mile trying to get away from the APM (Archimedes' Personal Military (A/N: All will be explained, my children)). My current idea of keeping myself safe was sprinting though a park blasting off random shots with my gun, whilst holding a glowing helmet in the crook of my other arm, trying desperately to stop the armed mob coming after me.

As I ran, I looked at the dead trees and plants and started to remember what things were like when I was a kid, before the world died. I started to get lost in my memories and didn’t notice the twisting shape on the ground. “Shit!” I shouted as I tripped on a dead tree’s root. The helmet I was holding rolled out of my reach.

I laid on the ground, clutching my leg as the mob moved closer. My weapon had been thrown a few feet away, so I was defenseless. They stopped a few feet away from me as I lay helpless on the ground. Someone in a black suit similar to the one I was wearing, but nowhere near as advanced, stepped to the front of the mob and looked at me as I started to stand up. I put on the helmet I was carrying, hoping that he wouldn't recognize me.

“You cunning little prick, do you think you’d live long enough to see the ruler’s plan. Sadly though, you have to die.” I recognized this man. His name was Kyle and I had grown up with him before the beginning of the New World. He was also one of our 'ruler's, Archimedes, mercenaries and was never one to be nice or patient.

He lifted up his rifle and brought to the center of my forehead.

“Why should I have to die? I needed to know why Archimedes had his soldiers invade North Korea, steal a thermo-nuclear bomb, and make about a thousand more. I also know that he put them miles inside of Earth. Does that not peak your curiosity at the slightest? ” I said to him monotony. Even though I honestly wasn't scared of death, I needed to try and reason with him. Starting a fight would not be good right now.

Saying nothing, he brought his rifle down from my head and turned away from me. I sighed in my head and started to talk. “I knew you would see-“My sentence was interrupted as he quickly turned and bashed the butt of the rifle into the side of my head.

As I fell out of consciousness, I heard him say “You’re going to be on this sorry-ass planet when Archimedes makes it crumble.”


Elsewhere

“Come on Twilight! Let’s try this out!” “Hold on Rainbow, I’m still trying to calibrate the dimensional viewer. If I mess this up, who knows what could happen.”


Earth

I awoke to find myself strapped to a table and with dark silhouettes of people all around me.
“How this one remains alive, I do not know.” Said of them.

“He has hope for the resistance, a disgusting trait that will get you nowhere and is only a burden.” Said another one. I let rage take over and decided to spit in this one’s face.

“You little son-of-a-“He started walking towards me with his fist in the air, but was stopped by the arm of another one of the silhouettes. “It seems he is awake.” He said.

“No shit.” I said to him, with a huge grin on my face. At times, I try to look at the brighter side of things. If I didn't, I'd most likely be under under the freeway with a bullet in my head.

“Why are we going to keep alive? We have no use for him.” This one sounded female.

I shifted my eyes directly to her. "I beg to differ, madam." Even though it was dark, I could tell she was scowling at me.

I continued talking again. "You seem to have forgotten that I was a little side project of yours. You called me 'The Shade' and I am going to logically assume that you wouldn't want to waste the taxpayers' dollars at work by just simply killing me."

"Agent Shade." One of the scientists gasped. "We've been looking for you for a long time."

"Well...you found me." I looked down at the braces.

"I have a question though. How did you live for so long?"

"You know, normally I wouldn't answer crap for you guys, but your lucky I'm bored." I said. "I managed to hold my own in this trash-heap of a world even before I got the suit."

"I'm intrigued." One of them said.

I glared at him. "Shut the hell up and let me finish my story." I felt a jolt of electricity course through me as everything became blurry.

"We don't need your stories, we can figure out a way to get them out on our own. By the way, your optimism is useless."

I looked at him and said with anger showing in my voice “Not really, seeing as how I’ve been kidnapped by a few soulless slaves of 'Archy' and managed to piss you off to near-breaking point.”

“That is rather insulting.” He said as he walked to what looked like a control panel and turned the lights on. I turned my head to look around the newly lit area, but what I saw next made me want him to turn the lights right back off.


Elsewhere

“Come on Twilight! Is it ready yet?” “Not yet Rainbow. I still need to make a few preparations for the spell. Now be patient or we won’t do this at all.” “Fine. I just can’t wait to see this. I mean, peaking into a new dimension, SO AWESOME.”


(A/N) How'd you like it? Post in the comments. Be gentle with you criticisms.