• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 2,186 Views, 68 Comments

Ranger in Equestria - Midnight Blues



Will Treaty is not your average ranger, but when he stumbles into Equestria how will he survive.

  • ...
1
 68
 2,186

A Trip To Ponyville

The arrow flew true hitting its mark with a solid thunk. The pink maned pegasus toppled over and scrabbled away into the bushes. Will let out a sigh of relief. He wasn't sure if the equine would run or attack and had been hoping for the later. He started to make his way to the bunny but stopped when the bushes erupted.

The pegasus flew out and stared around angrily speaking with a raised voice. The pegasus seemed to be scolding the still unseen archer before it turned around and untied the rope with its teeth. Taking the bunny it flew off towards the east. Will sat there contemplating what had just happened. He'd fired an arrow scaring off the strange pony. Then it came back and reprimanded him. Then it'd processed to somehow untie the rope and proceeded to fly off on wings far to small. He wasn't sure what surprised him more, the equine speaking in a foreign language or scolding him.

He shook himself out of his stupor. It didn't matter, now he had a confirmed direction since the pony could apparently communicate it must have a colony or village of some kind. After collecting the rope he made his way back to his camp.

Packing the rest of the gear up he set out after the yellow pegasus. There where no tracks to follow so he had to hope her flight path stayed constant. He eventually came upon a path in the woods. One way leading east and the other west. Will headed down the eastward trail. Suddenly, there where no more trees ahead. Will stumbled and hurried back into the forest. The trees just ended on one side there where trees and on the other there where none. It was strange to say the least.

Will surveyed the area under the cover of the forest. A little further down the path he saw the most earthy home he'd ever seen. Watching the house he saw many creatures coming and going as they pleased. Entering and exiting through windows all manner of creatures went on their way, many seemed to have built their homes near or even in the house. Will had never seen such an abundance of creatures all in one spot.

As he watched the front door opened and out came the pegasus from before. She sang while she flew around tending and checking in on the animals. Looking down the road he could see the beginning of the most colorful village he'd ever seen. The coloring resembled what you might find in a human village but seemed more vibrant and alive with color.

Trotting through the streets where equines going about the day in the same way a prospering human village would. He'd stumbled upon an entirely new civilization. The archway must have taken him very far away indeed. He debated how to proceed, he had shot at the yellow one she hadn't seen him but she would recognize the arrow. He should avoid if at all possible.

There was an apple farm near the village, but farmers in his experience tend to be more prone to aggression towards strangers. He might be able to steal a few apples if he got hungry. That left the town itself. Just walking into town full of unknown equines probably wasn't the best idea. His best bet would be to wait till dark, enter the town, and look for anything to help him learn about this land and the equines deposition. With a goal in mind he set up his base of operations near enough to the edge of the forest to see anyone coming, but far enough to avoid detection to a casual observer. Someone would have to look hard indeed to find a ranger and his camp.

The night came soon enough and Will crept out of Everfree cloaked in shadows. Sparing a glance towards the sky he marveled at the beauty of the night. The stars gleams like gems in the sky. It would be a perfect night to go undetected. Will entered the town slinking from shadow to shadow. The ranger very much in his element going about the town silent and unseen. He started his search in the from the town square slowing moving in an outward spiral. Some of the buildings he stopped and stared at for a while, he'd never seen such 'interesting' buildings. There was a bakery shaped out of various sweets and baked goods. Another was oval in shape and had structure vaguely like a circus tent with a smaller tent on top.

Eventually he came across a house in a tree with a sign saying public library on it. This was his best bet if he was going to learn anything useful in his midnight walk. There were no lights on in the house. He tried to the door expecting it to be locked, it wasn't. Slipping through the door he found himself in the hollowed out center of the tree. There were shelves and shelves of books. 'perfect this is just what I needed, hopefully they write in the same language as me.'

He was in luck, they did write in the same language. Several books stood out to him and he began collecting a few. "Equestria and Its Neighbors", "Beasts of Everfree", and "A Brief History of Equestria". He reached for the next book, pulled it out and read the cover "Daring Do and The Temple of Huitzilopochtli".

Suddenly lights came on upstairs and a voice yelled "Rainbow Dash I've got you now. Sneaking books away in night cause you think its uncool to be seen checking out a book"

Quickly Will dropped the book, gathered up the three he managed to collect and ran for the door all manner of stealth gone. As he reached the door he heard a voice behind him. "What in Celestia's name... your not Dash, hey wait get back here."

Clearing the door Will to cover in a nearby alley slowing down and muffling his movements. Quietly he crept out of town. He wouldn't be able to go back for awhile, but he got what he came for. Making it back to camp he was greeted by an excited Ebony who pounced and began licking him.

"Hey girl I missed you too, sorry I had to leave you here."

A wicker from Tug told him that he too had missed Will as well. There would be no fire tonight as that would be a dead give away to the now alerted town. The books would have to wait till dawn in order to be read with any legibility. Will fell asleep wondering what exactly he would find out about this equestrian race.

Comments ( 27 )

Sorry for the long wait. I've been reading loads of fanfics lately:derpytongue2:. I will try and get out chapters. It all depends on how I'm feeling that week. :twilightsmile:

YEEEES!!!! New Chapter!!

:pinkiehappy:

MOOOAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Why am I now just finding this great story. Keep up the great work and I look forward to see what happens next.

Well, this chapter felt more than a bit brief. It could be longer, looking on how many things happened in it.
Other than this, everything is really good. Also:

After collecting the rope he mad his way back to his camps

I believe, that you made a typo there. Also, there should be dot at the end of the sentence.

A question: are you going to keep this in lore i.e. he goes back to Araluen after the events of this fic??

other than that a good chapter, and not too cliche at the moment as well.

1478922 Fixed the error. I plan on making longer chapters. This one was to let you know I'm still writing I was just distracted. Kinda rushed a little.
1479077 I haven't really decided. I still have tons of plans for him in Equestria. Also, I haven't had time to read the next books in the series :pinkiegasp:. I plan on reading them all again soon though to re-immerse myself in the lore.

1476934
Any good fics you can think of off the top of your head that involve HiE?

I've been needing to find some good ones.

1481545 Yes I know several. got over 200 favs lol.
It must be Tuesday
Saiyan of Equestria
Do you believe in Ghosts?
Summoned
Over The Edge and Through the Wood
A Ghost Story
Retired to Equestria
Lyra's Pyro Predicament
Just to name a few good ones. A nice selection of HiE's. If you need more just ask.
Currently I'm reading The Oldest Crusader

You have combined one of my favorite series and shows together to make something truly amazing! I will eagerly be awaiting more. :ajsmug:

Oh man i can only imagine their reaction to will riding a horse (Tug).

A Ranger's Apprentice crossover? That is the last thing I expected to see... I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

In the mean time, please proceed. I am curious to see what happens next.

I love the Ranger's Apprentice series!:pinkiegasp:
This is genius!:rainbowdetermined2:

1711324
ty for the encouragement.

1752895 Well I don't see anything really to downvote for? Maybe a few grammatical errors or someone doesn't like how I portray Will? Any help you could give would be appreciated.

This is pretty dang good, can't wait for more :twilightsmile::twilightsmile:

I can't believe I never thought of looking for a Ranger's Apprentice crossover before. This story is amazing and I can't wait to read more.

To me, anything that involves Rangers are awesome. Military or good ol' fashioned kind. Will be watching you. :coolphoto:

This is relevant to my interests, go on :pinkiehappy:

Whew! That was a close one from getting caught by Twilight almost. :twilightoops:

Great story, probably the best crossover idea I have ever seen, I'm quite excited to see how it turns out. However the fact that you haven't updated it in five months lowers its greatness slightly, but just a bit ;)

2305763 I'm still alive just being extraordinarily lazy. As well as procrastinating. I been having loads of fun reading hundreds of fics on the site. Get on at least once a day :pinkiehappy:. Just haven't gotten the oomph(wow that's considered a word lol) to get going and start writing.

2306149 Get writing, I want to know how this continues! :pinkiehappy:

This earns an instant Read Later from me for just being a Ranger's Apprentice crossover.

A friend of mine suggested this fic to me, so I decided to read it.

While I must admit that it's good as a crossover, the thing that irks me is the grammar problems.

Call it ironic, but weren't you that person who critiqued one of my stories? Memory's foggy.

I digress. The bottom line is that it's decently written, but I keep bumping into a grammar problem here and there.

If this problem persists after this story becomes active again (if it ever does, that is...), I don't think I'll be coming back.

I hope more characters would come out :pinkiehappy: rainbow dash vs unseen archer!!!! 100 bits on archer!!!!!!

Holy h-hell, a Ranger's Apprentice crossover actually exists? Automatic yes! :pinkiegasp:

Just imagine if the Ranger Horses and the Equestrians met each other...

9525171
or just you know...

*snap*

Login or register to comment