• Published 20th Jul 2015
  • 2,295 Views, 108 Comments

Ponies Meet New York - Caddy Finz



You may recall the events of a few years ago when a reformed criminal from New York City found a way to Equestria. The human-turned-pony Vincenzo is back and he's here to set things right once again! This time, he gets to revisit his old home.

  • ...
12
 108
 2,295

Epilogue

One year later...

"Okay, that's the last of them!" Vincent said as he placed a box of Harshwhinny's belongings on the floor of our living room.

"Oh, thank you so much for helping move my things in, dear." Harshwninny said.

A full year had passed since I brought my son to Equestria and everything was truly going wonderfully. Harshwhinny and I have now been dating for the entire time and she and I had decided to take our relationship to the next level. It took some time but Vincent, Harshwhinny and myself are that much closer to finally being a true family. There's just one last thing I need to take care of.

"Hey, son." I said. "How are things going with Fluttershy?"

"Oh, it's going great!" Vincent replied. "She's such a sweetheart and I really like her a lot. Which reminds me...she and I actually have a date later. I've been sweating a bit so I'm gonna go freshen up and get ready. I'm planning on taking her to that ritzy place downtown so I wanna look good. If anypony needs me, I'll be in the shower."

"Alright son, if I don't see ya when you get out, have a great time!"

So here we all were. Myself, my beautiful marefriend and my son all living together and for the first time since I was a young boy, I was actually part of a happy family. Now that Harshwhinny and I had a moment alone together, I could ask her a very important question. I was more nervous than I ever was before. It'd been a while since I'd done anything like this.

"I'm so glad to be moving in with you two." Harshwhinny said before kissing me on the cheek.

"Same here, sweetheart." I replied. "So, um...can we talk?"

"You silly guy. You don't even need to ask. What's on your mind, dear?"

"Well...Okay, here goes...The past year you, Vincent, and I have been spending so much time together...I truly can't think of any other time when I've ever been happier. I have something I'd like to ask you and I got you a little something to go along with it."

"I couldn't agree more, Darling. I, um...I also have something I need to show you too though. It's...kind of a big deal."

"Oh, okay. Uh, how about this. Let's you and I show each other at the same time?"

"Ready, Vincenzo?"

"Ready, Harshwhinny."

At the same time, Harshwhinny reached into the pocket of her blouse and I into the pocket on my neck tie. I presented my marefriend with a small, black box and opened it up revealing a diamond engagement ring. As surprised and ecstatic as she looked to see the gift that I got for her, the object she was holding in front of me topped that tenfold. Clutched in Harshwhinny's hoof was a small, white, plastic stick that looked somewhat like a pen. I then took a closer look. The object in question had a small screen on it, kinda like one you'd see on a calculator. This little screen had a thin blue line in the middle and the word "positive" in blue text. Honestly, I couldn't think of any way this day could get better.

Author's Note:

*Takes a bow* Once again, a bittersweet end to my work on another somewhat decent story I slapped together. You know the drill by now. To those of you who read and comment on my work, you are helping me more than you know. Thank you so much. I love you all! :heart:

Comments ( 27 )

It was a good ride of a story, I like the happy conclusion, I still feel weird to see miss Harshwiny actually being nice to any one, and that his son has now his own life to live that has nothing to do with boos any more. Yet I feel that the epilogue could have be longueur and I would have liked to see how Vinny help his son get over with his addiction problem, as well as to see all the adjustment all three would have had to go thought with each other. I think it would have been a great time to show a more kinder side to Harshwiny that she would have had to develop with his son if she wanted stay with Vinny. Vincent would have had to adjust to his new life still and learn to shy away from alcohol for better things in life. Still it was a good story and I greatly enjoyed reading it.

Awesome end

7345765 I'm glad you liked it. This particular story is a lot easier to understand if one reads the original :rainbowhuh: For example, Vinnie quit smoking in the end of the old story because of a spell Twilight cast on him. Try to imagine that happening to Vincent when Celestia turned him into a pony so he could better fit in. :trollestia: On the other note, Harshwhinny basically felt a tug at her heartstrings when Vincent said she reminded him of his mother so try to think of that being how she developed her soft spot for him. About learning to fit in and live life in Ponyville...Well, let's just say that could be a story for another day. :raritywink: Thanks so much for being such a faithful reader to the end :heart:

Equestria is full of friendship, love, peace and kindness whereas New York has animosity, hatred, violence and corruption.

Lets stop and apply some critical thinking to this statement, shall we?

It's like the saying goes, if you ran into an asshole this morning, you ran into an asshole. But if you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole. Similarly, the problem isn't that New Your is full of "animosity, hatred, violence and corruption", it's that the main character is a completely unlikable piece of filth with no redeeming characteristics.

Now, lets look at the first part of the statement. Is Equestria really full of friendship and kindness and all that jazz? Superficially, it is. However, when you stop and apply some critical thinking, a very ugly picture emerges. The ponies remark that the Everfree forest is unnatural, simply because it runs on it's own, in essence, they dislike it because it doesn't need them to exist. This is an extraordinarily narcissistic attitude to have.

The inherent injustness of Equestrian society is evident from the first season. In it, one's social standing is based on one's species. Alicorns are automatic royalty. Unicorns, in addition making up the bulk of the nobility, have access to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, and if they're skilled enough, they can become her personal student. Pegasi can join the Wonderbolts if they're old enough. And earth ponies? They basically get jack. Even thorough pegasi and earth pony magic is vital to Equestria functioning, there isn't any interest in studying and advancing it. Moving further down the social scale you have non-ponies, and finally cattle, who are basically slaves. Said slavery is taken for granted. Nobody bats an eye over it.

Even the language reflects this. Terms like "everypony", and "somepony" work by denying the personhood of non-ponies. If two donkeys were injured in a building collapse, one could truthfully say that nopony was injured. Of course the protagonist fails to notice any of this as he had an IQ in the single digit range.

In short the protagonist is both utterly unlikable and a completely braindead imbecile. This does not make for a good story.

7362708 *whistles* Okay, way to be blunt and right to the point. So basically, what you're trying to get across is that there's not much if anything to like about Vinnie. Not sure about the other stuff but I'll think that over some more. Just out of curiosity, have you tried reading any further than the prologue? Have you read this story's predecessor by any chance? If not, would you be willing to? Though I do admit, I'm far from perfect as a writer and my stories are far from perfect as well, I'd like to think they aren't TOTAL rubbish. Thanks for your feedback. That might help me in the future with the development of other characters.

7364943 And I finaly have some spare time to sit down and compose a response.

If I am blunt, it is because after three years of lurking on this site, I have seen authors make the same assumptions, time and again.

I did not get very far into the story before my annoyance began rising. If there's one thing I detest in a HiE story, it's when the protagonist behaves as if the Equestria is a paradise while ignoring the numerous flaws. Consider that in Swarm of the Century, Celestia, in spite of being around for over a thousand years, failed to recognize a parasprite, while Zecora did. Furthermore Celestia was completely oblivious to the changes in "Cadance's" personality even though Cadance was her own (adoptive, if you go by the books) niece! Is this the sort of person you would trust with with absolute power? Not to mention that if you look at the villains from the show, all of them (well, except for Queen Chrysalis) originated in the past. One of them (or two, if you consider EQ as canon), Starlight Glimmer, was actually Celestia's former student. method of dealing with serious threats to the ream seems to be "let the ponies deal with it a thousand or so years from now."

Even Twilight, who did not end up as a villain, ended up brainwashing an entire town and got off with a slap on the wrist.

I am not saying that every HiE story has to highlight what's wrong with pony society. Probably the best HiE story that I've ever read would be Through the Well of Pirene, an epic adventure that focuses on the personal growth of the protaganist. In The Tale of Lord Barleycorn, the main character is working to improve the lives of the ponies of Hollow Shades, a town that's fallen on hard times. Not My Little Diamond features a human who comes from a world where everything runs on cartoon logic. It's brilliant. None of those stories feature much in the way of social commentary. But when I read a story that involves a human gushing of a place that plenty of flaws, my gorge begins to rise.

7385885 I certainly do see your point and taking that into consideration, that could help me write a better HIE in the future. Also, I bet after three years on the site you probably get people reacting negatively to criticism too. That's why it's been hard for me to get people to speak up and it's a breath of fresh air for someone to finally do so. Instead of just saying "this is cool" or "this sucks" you go deeper into it and that really helps. Anyway, feel free to give some of my other work a try :twilightsmile:

7449273 Glad you enjoyed :twilightsmile: Hmm, making this a trilogy? Maybe someday :trixieshiftleft: :trixieshiftright:

7449528 If you do let me know, and I'll like and fallow the story

7450485 Just in case I ever do, I did intentionally leave somewhat of a cliff hanger at the end. :trixieshiftright: Perhaps something involving Harshwhinny and Vinnie's new foal. :trixieshiftleft: Maybe use him/her to branch off into something entirely new...

7618160 Ooookay... :applejackconfused:

Did you enjoy reading? :rainbowhuh:

7618468 S͏̷̴̺̜̪̮̤̾͂ͩͤ̀̅̌͢͝͝UͩŖ̖̭̰̞̺͈ͣ̉̏̆̿͢E̴̱̭͗͐̎̓ͥ̌͐͜͡͡ ̫̺͒ͤI͏̷̡̯̗̭̩͇̖ͯ̅̐̀͜ ̡̽L͇̺̭̗ͬ͋̾͡Õ̢̫̻̭̍ͮ̍ͥͫͯͣͭ̀V͛̔̑E̝͎̓̌̃̆Ḍ̸̋ͮ̊̐͏ ̴̦̙͗Í̩̦̜͈̩͖̭̲ͭ́ͪ͘T́͌͑ ̧̢̯̗̳͊ͮ͒͂ͯEVE̞̮͕͈͎ͥ̏ͪ̇ͪ͌̚͡͞͞ͅN̴͖͙̞̝̣̭̟̖͈͇̭̱̑ͪ̿̀͟ ̧͇̲͍̯̘̉͊ͦͬ͝T̥̊H̊͞OŪ̻̮̤̲̠ͯͧͯ͜G͓̞̾H̝͈̙̤́̀͘ ̷̢̪̝̝̳ͪ̅͛͒͞I̸̛̺̰̗͙̗̲͈̬ͩ͊̒̿ͥ͛͐̅̚͝Ṱ̹̆̈́̇̀͠ ͩḬ̼͍͔̼̪̙̂̃ͫ̀͊͑̈́̊̐̈͠ͅŜ̡̱̜͎̒ͦ͛ͬ̚̕ͅ ҉̢̜͔͍̜̰̦͉̐̽̀̈́̐͐̎ͬ̈͘S̨̛ͤȀ̢̱̫̙̤͈̲͍̱͂ͨͦ̌͟͢D̠̲̞̽̒̓ͣ̉̍̀ͤ͠ T̴̨͉͍̼͛ͪ͠H̟̮͕͒ͭA͓͔͓̾̉̽ͦͨͧ̀͌̍̚͡T̸̨̩͍͎̤̻̞̀͑̆͒ͦ̌͂̾ͣ̓̇͝ ̸̙̠̙͉̫͇͕ͫ́̓ͧͭ̇I̶̸̖̮ͩ̓̌͊͌̏̚͜͞ ̵̰̤̤̗̙̐̐R̨̛ͨͮ͠E̪͕̳̜͈̮ͤͨ̂́̉̓̉͗̿A̠ͮ̓ͨͫ͗͝͞͝ͅD̢̩̲̽̎͜ ̤̙͙̓́̇́́ͅF̸͎̙̥̀̆́̀̉ͧ̌́ͤ͘͜͝ͅĄ̡̧̹͇̤͖͎̩̫̋ͬ̂ͩ͂̿ͯͩ̃̔N̸̟̩̍͐ͭ͐͑̉̂͠F̺͐ͅI͏ͯ̓͛͛ͨ̂͢͜͢C͈͇̪͖͔͙͊̀̓ͩ̍ͩ̈́̌͘̕͡Sͭͫ̋

7620103 Gaaahh! Did you just give my computer a virus!?!!? :raritycry:

7620116 :rainbowlaugh: You know what? I like your unique commenting style :pinkiecrazy: Feel free to do the same with my other work. No really, please do :derpyderp1:

Incredible story. As amazing as, if not better, than the first.

It's been a long time since a fan fiction made me cry. Even longer since I could feel the raw emotion and forethought put into a story. The character development was amazing, the characters were so well written and completely in character and with every chapter, I found myself loving Vinnie more.

I could picture every scene perfectly, from the torture scene, to Vinnie willing to stay on earth and give up his new life to be there for his son. The way you included depression, addiction, and emotional trauma was so well done, and I've dealt with many of those same issues myself. Your characters are relatable, believable, and lovable. The prequel to this story was silly and fun, but the change in tone was well done and, quite frankly, masterfully thought out.

I look forward to reading any other fics you write, and will give you a follow. You've more than earned it.

8558795
That's very kind of you to say, my friend. :heart: If you think this one was nice, you should check out "Broken Gene" which I'm almost done with. You and another fellow writer really made my day with your kind words of encouragement. Thank you for that :heart: :twilightsmile:

Is the NYPD an actual hindrance to the main characters or are they the butt-monkeys of this story? I mean, the cover art shows #2

9098551
Little bit of both to be honest :unsuresweetie:

9098563
oh.

That turned me off pretty quick.

9098564
Aww, that's too bad :rainbowhuh: Either way, I have quite a few works for you to choose from. Happy reading! :raritywink:

I wanted to ask if there is a chance for a sequel or if you already know that you don't want to add another story to this one here? If I like the story and depending on if your story has romance/adoption or whatever in it, I maybe have some ideas or wishes for a sequel. Of course it depens on how it turns out since I still have to start with the first chapter of the first story.

9100234
At this point, I really don't know if I will make it a trilogy or not. I do tend to get a good balance of a "cliffhanger but the most important questions have been answered" kind of endings in case I ever decide to take it further. By the way, I'm glad I could give you the info you seek in the prequel. I hope you enjoy both!

I just came across this site and this story and the earlier one. Loved them both, Five years later it's a great read!

Login or register to comment