• Published 4th Jan 2015
  • 2,997 Views, 20 Comments

Watching over us - FrostTheWolf



In order to get some the remaining community service hours she needs for the new wonderbolt tryout application, Rainbow Dash joins Scootaloo on a School Field Trip to Manehattan. Simple right? Well, what happens on the trip is anything BUT ordinary.

  • ...
4
 20
 2,997

Epilogue- Family

Epilogue- Family


It was a calm and beautiful evening across Equestria. As most ponies used the opportunity to retire to their homes to see their families, others would be staying up late for multiple reasons. For those in Canterlot, it would be late night Studying or the guards changing shifts. For others, it would be to simply enjoy watching the stars. However, for one mare in the clouds above, it was because her helpers ditched her in order to check on the rest of their team mates.

That one mare was Spitfire as she was going through numerous applications submitted to her for the upcoming Wonderbolt Tryouts. Earlier, Soarin and Fleetfoot were assisting her in looking through the applications and seeing who would be allowed to participate and who to deny. But the two later had to go check on some of the flyers after hearing about an accident that happened at the weather factory. Thankfully, nopony was hurt, but there were some very close calls. That was around sundown and Spitfire was fine about it then. It was now close to midnight and the Mare was now starting to regret that decision.

Sighing a little, she got up from her seat and decided to check look at the rest of the applications tomorrow. This week had already been a crazy one for the Wonderbolts with the preparations being made for the new arrivals, but also because of a strange incident that happened only yesterday. Something involving an explosion at a museum in Manehattan. Thunderlane was there when he was with his little brother Rumble on a field trip, but the strangest thing that the stallion told her was that Rainbow Dash was inside when it happened with the filly named Scootaloo and Princess Twilight’s assistant Spike, and they came out unscaved. When Thunderlane tried asking about it, the Cyan mare said that she rather not talk about it and was very insistent on it. Spitfire was worried that something like that might affect the concentration of a very great flyer once she found her application.

As the yellow mare made it outside the academy though, she began to hear something. It was the flapping of wings. Not hers, but somepony elses. Looking around, she couldn’t see anypony given how little light there was right now. “Alright, I hear you trying to sneak up on me. Come on out now before I get my hooves on you-.”

It didn’t come out yet, but when it did, what Spitfire saw made her eyes widen and her pupils shrink. In her mind, she thought that all of this was just some sick dream. Something that was casted as a dumb prank by one of the unicorn stallions back in Ponyville when she went to the market to buy a pie from Applejack to surprise Soarin with. It almost had looked like a nightmare from the past.

“Spitzy, it’s me.”

It was her old friend, Firefly. The pink pegasus mare wore her leather Wonderbolts jacket that was the same one Spitfire was wearing right now and had some kind of harness on with a glowing light blue core in the center. She looked a bit different with the new goggles she had and the grips around her front hooves, but it was still the same friend she knew. Spitfire was speechless. She couldn’t even muster a word yet without stuttering. It felt like she was seeing a ghost. A literal ghost.

“F-firefly!? Is t-that you?”

The Tracer’s only reply was a nod of the head as she now stood only a few feet from her dear friend. The Wonderbolt captain, in disbelief, raised a hoof to touch her face. It made contact, which surprised her even more. When she last saw Firefly in the flesh, Spitfire saw her phase in and out. Disappearing like a ghost. Now she was real, and her best friend felt happy. But the yellow mare still felt confused about something.

“It’s been fifteen years since I’ve last seen you and almost a year since you last replied to my letters.” Spitfire said. “To what I have the honor of being able to see you for?”

“Spitfire, I need to talk to you.”

“Talk to me? About what?”

“It’s about my daughter… I think it’s time she knows who her mother is…”

The statement almost made the pegasus’s jaw drop. Blinking a little, Spitfire looked back at her friend. “Are you sure?”

“Yes I am,” The Tracer told her. “I want to bring my family together again and with Rainbolt nowhere to be found, I need to start with Rainbow Dash. You know how important this is to me, Spitfire and how important it is to you as well. I just need help with a few things. Something I think somepony of your expertise can help me with.”


Next Morning,

It was 8:15am on a Saturday morning. The sun was shining brightly as it penetrated through Rainbow Dash’s curtains and into her room. She, however, was quite tired. Scootaloo was too, but still sound asleep. As Rainbow’s vision adjusted and she crept out of bed, the pegasus made it a priority to not wake up the filly. She even trotted over to the curtains to close the gaps that peaked open using an old clothes pin so the sun wouldn’t disturb the sleeping youngster. From there, she trotted over to the mirror in the bathroom to clean herself up. The mare’s mane was a complete mess and she really needed a shower. A quick fix with both of those and one tending to her wings later and she made her way to the kitchen.

Looking inside her fridge, she tried to make out what seemed like a good simple start for the morning. There was oats, a few apples, a muffin, some water, and other delectable foods inside the refrigerator. For today’s meal, some oats and a chocolate chip muffin she got from her last trip to sugarcube corner should do just perfectly. It was quick, simple, filling, and effective. Everything was going smoothly for the cyan mare so far this morning.

KNOCK!! KNOCK!! KNOCK!!!

Again, so far. Rainbow’s ears twitched a little after hearing the door and then turned to see the Wonderbolt themed clock she had on the wall. It had only been fifteen minutes since she had been up and somepony was knocking on her door? That was indeed weird. She trotted towards the door, having many thoughts race through her head right now of who could it possibly be. Could it be the Mailmare? One of Scootaloo’s friends? One of her friends? Twilight? The idea’s just kept bouncing off the walls of her cranium like they were rubber band balls bouncing everywhere.

It wasn’t until opening the door that she got a early morning surprise. One that blew all of her other ideas of who would be at the door out of the water.

“Morning, rookie. How are you today?”

It was Spitfire. Not drill Sergeant Spitfire or Wonderbolt Spitfire, but just normal Spitfire. She was wearing an old leather jacket from the early years of the wonderbolts when the flying team was first formed as well as some goggles around her neck. The real Spitfire was standing outside her door and Rainbow’s jaw was left hanging ajar.

“C-captain-!?”

“Rainbow, you don’t need to address me formally.” The pegasus told the cyan mare. “Can I please come in?”

“Oh yeah, Sure! Just keep your voice down though. Scootaloo’s sleeping.”

“Who?” The wonderbolt asked. Spitfire already knew who Rainbow was talking about. But in order to play along, the mare decided to act like she didn’t know.

“You know… Orange filly, purple mane, short wings… Rides a scooter all the time in Ponyville?”

“Oh, you mean Rumble’s friend?”

“Yeah, that’s right.” Rainbow replied. “She considers me as her big sister even though she lives at an orphanage. We both have had a busy week this week, so the owner of Tailchaser Homes allowed me to have her be at my place for the week after a school field trip we went too in Manehattan.”

Manehattan… The Wonderbolt had a feeling that might have come up at some point. With what Thunderlane told her before and with Firefly from the night before, Spitfire had guessed that whatever occurred there had somehow been bothering Rainbow. Looking at her now, she could see the cyan mare look a bit uncomfortable. When they sat down on a nearby couch, Rainbow’s hooves weren’t still all the time. Sometimes, they moved side to side like she was stretching them or wiggling them. It was the same thing too with her wings. They sometimes moved a little as well unexpectedly.

“Is something on your mind?” Spitfire asked. “You seem… nervous.”

“Nervous? I’m just a bit surprised.”

“Surprised? How come?”

“Well, you normally don’t see the captain of the Wonderbolts at your doorstep everyday unless you like at the academy.”

She was right about that. But to Spitfire, it seemed like something else was affecting her behaviour… And she had a good idea on what it was after seeing her surprise visitor last night. “Is something bothering you? I can read your facial expression rookie, theres no need to hide it.”

Things got quiet for a moment. Then Rainbow sighed. A deep sigh that told Spitfire that she was getting somewhere. “Yeah… Something… happened on our trip to Manehattan yesterday. Something that’s just stuck in my head. I’m even unsure myself if anypony would believe me if I tried talking about it.”

‘Bingo!’ The yellow mare said mentally. “Would you like to talk about it?”

“Wouldn’t Soarin or the others possibly need you?”

“Todays their day off. I’m not needed unless it’s an emergency.”

“Well, it’s a lot to explain-.”

“Go ahead.” Spitfire smiled, interjecting through her comment. “Take as much time as you need.” Rainbow nodded, sighing again. She used her mouth to pull out a bag she had tucked in a space nearby the couch. It was from the Manehattan Museum with the words “Free Comic Book day exhibit 2014” on the side. Opening it, she found what she was looking for and set it down on the nearby coffee table using her wings. It was a handout issue of a comic book that came with the bags and the Daring Do Comic she obtained yesterday.

“Scootaloo and our friend Spike wanted to check out a special exhibition the Museum had yesterday and when we were there, one of the many exhibits that they had was on this.”

Spitfire looked at the comic on the table. It was titled “The OverWatch” and the front cover showed a bipedal wolf like character and pegasus standing on top of a sheet of broken ice. “I’ve seen these before. Soarin has a collection of them in his room.”

Now that surprised Rainbow. Knowing Soarin for a while, the mare honestly did not expect him to be into comic books. Let alone, this one specifically. Looking back at Spitfire, she asked a new question “He does?”

“Yeah, he even got me a compendium of the first twenty issues for hearts warming last year as an extra gift. I thought it was a gag gift at first, but he insisted on me reading it. From his perspective, I kind of see why it’s popular.”

“Let me guess? Action, suspense, normal guy’s stuff?”

“Sort of like that…” Spitfire answered. “Haven’t had the time to read it though due to my ever so busy schedule with planning tour dates and preparing tryouts.” The captain noticed that she was getting a little bit off track and spoke again. “Anyways, you were saying that this was at the museum when you went there?”

The Cyan mare nodded her head as she began to speak. “Yeah. They had props in glass cases, huge TV screens to show video clips of the story and the characters and Touchscreen Tablets to interact with what characters were shown on the big screen. When Spike and Scootaloo did it, they showed… the two characters on the cover there.” Rainbow used her wing to point back at the Wolf and Pegasus on the front of the comic book to show what she meant. “The whole time though, I felt something weird. Like even though this was a comic book, I thought that everything from the characters to the story seemed… real somehow. Like they really existed even though they were portrayed as fictional… Then “it” happened…”

Spitfire raised an eyebrow at Rainbow’s pause. “What happened, Rainbow?”

The element of loyalty sighed again. The mare was unsure if she should continue with what she was going to say. Swallowing her doubts with a glass of water, she decided to press on. “The wolf on the cover here crashed through the glass ceiling, attacked by a sphinx that could cast very powerful and destructive spells and a bipedal bobcat that could create things with his mind. He wasn’t alone though. He was with a small breezie in some kind of special suit with the pegasus not far behind him. The pegasus though resembled Commander Firefly from the history books and even looked like her. Scootaloo was there with me as well as Spike when we saw them fight to protect us. Even when we found out that one of the props was actually a real weapon and I went after it to prevent the sphinx from taking it and then hurting Scootaloo, they were still on our side…… Even though we all saw the battle, I don’t know how to make heads or tails of it. It looked too real to be an act… I couldn’t sleep much last night because of it.”

Spitfire widened her eyes and just stared blankly, shocked at the story that Rainbow had told her. A story that seemed like one that nopony would believe. But, the Wonderbolt did believe it. She knew it was real. Why? Because a dear friend of hers told her the exact same thing in a different perspective.

“You must think I’m crazy after telling you this-.”

“Actually Rainbow…… I believe you.”

That response shocked Rainbow Dash. She never thought that Spitfire of all ponies would actually believe her story. But after a while, based on the calm expression on her face, Rainbow knew that Spitfire wasn’t joking.

“Why?” She asked, confused. “It sounds like a story a filly would make up to get attention at school.”

“Not everything can be made up, Rookie. Do you remember Thunderlane? He and Rumble saw you three come out unhurt.”

“That doesn’t explain what happened inside the museum though.”

“Yes, but then there was somepony else who was inside the museum that told me the same story only last night after I finished working at the academy.”

Rainbow though, was now curious. The words of somepony else besides a colleague of Spitfire was making her wonder something. “Who?”

That’s when a light blue flash appeared behind Rainbow. The Cyan mare had her back turned and didn’t see it, but Spitfire did. She cracked a smile. It was the visual cue that she needed to see before she said anything. “She did.” The yellow mare told Rainbow, pointing a hoof towards the back wall.

Rainbow’s curiosity led to her turning her head in the direction of Spitfire outstretched hoof towards the left wall of her house. When she saw who the Wonderbolt was referring to, her jaw partially dropped and her eyes widened. She was beyond speechless now. The same Pink Pegasus that she encountered in the museum and who praised her for her bravery was now standing right in front of her. In her home no less! She still had the same gear and clothes as yesterday as well, with her goggles around her neck and the pegasus wore the same kind of Jacket that Spitfire was currently wearing. Rainbow jolted up onto all four of her hooves and trotted over to her, thinking that she must’ve sneaked through the open balcony if Firefly was able to come in here and not get noticed.

“Hello Rainbow.”

Even more shock set in right around now. Firefly knew her name?! “How do you know my name?” The shocked mare asked. All Spitfire did though was chuckle to herself as she got up from the couch and trotted over to where the two other mares were. The sly laughing though didn’t go unnoticed though.

“What’s so funny, Spitfire?”

“Firefly always knew about you, Rookie.” Spitfire replied. “Besides… why would she forget the name of her own daughter?”

That single sentence made Rainbow’s entire world fall apart and made it feel like it was crashing on top of her. When she was a filly, her father didn’t talk much about her mother because he told her that she would one day come home soon. That she had a very important job that required a lot of hard work and effort and it meant that she barely had any time to see them. But she never expected anything like this at all!

“Y-you’re… my mother?” The cyan mare stuttered, still in shock and disbelief. The nod of the Tracer’s head now made the Element of loyalty even more shocked as Firefly spoke again.

“Yes I am, My little Rainbow.” The pink mare trotted over to her daughter and put a hoof on top of her shoulder to comfort her for what she had to say next. “Just like Spitfire is your Godmother.”

‘Holy Crabapples, this is happening way too fast!’ Rainbow told herself. She never knew who her real mother was and now she just found out that her mother was the Commander Firefly and that Spitfire was her godmother!? Being told all of this made her feel like she was going to faint (even though she didn’t). But she still had a question that didn’t make sense.

“W-why are you telling me about this now? Dad always told me that you couldn’t come home because-.”

“Your father and I were concerned about your safety.” interjected the Tracer. “During the time the doctors and I discovered my condition, we didn’t know if what I had was somehow contagious and could transfer from pony to pony. I had to spend weeks to months in isolation to wait for a way to keep me in the present timeline. When my friend Songbird did find a way, the home we lived in was no longer where I thought it was. It drifted away with all the other clouds in the sky. I literally spent years trying to find you, only to be completely overjoyed when I saw you in Manehattan. I’ve really missed you Rainbow and now, I want to be here for you and be with my family again.”

Rainbow didn’t know what to say in response, but instead turned her head towards her bedroom door at the sound of it opening. The three mares in the room heard a loud yawn as they saw Scootaloo trot out of the room and look at Rainbow Dash half awake. She could hear multiple voices as her vision adjusted and could see her idol with two other mares. “Okay… what is going on?”

Firefly herself was the first to speak out of the small group. “Oh… you must be Scootaloo, right?”

When she heard her name and saw who said it, the filly’s jaw dropped and was beyond shocked. “Oh my stars, You’re Firefly!!” Turning back towards Rainbow as she trotted over to her, Scootaloo then asked a follow up question. “Rainbow, what is Firefly doing in your house?”

“Yeah… The reason why may be a little bit hard to believe, Scootaloo.” Rainbow told her as a precaution before she said anything else. Then, the Cyan mare told the little filly. “But as it turns out, she is my mother.”

Now Scootaloo was just as stunned as Rainbow was moments ago when the Element of Loyalty first heard the news. Almost like if you were shocked by a huge plot twist in a movie or video game. “Y-you’re m-mother!!?”

“That’s right.” Firefly now turned for a moment to get some papers out of her jacket pocket. They were folded in half as the mare opened them up and handed them to Scootaloo. “Speaking of which, I think you should have a look at this.”

Scootaloo held the papers using her left hoof as she had a look at them. As Rainbow watched, she noticed that her eyes move from left to right across the page, but stopped at one point. The Filly’s eyes widened then as she gasped. She looked shocked and also… Overjoyed?

“Oh dear Celestia…”

“Scootaloo? What is it?”

“Read this…” The filly told her, handing the papers with her hoof. Upon first glance, Rainbow noticed that the papers looked like a contract or documents for a legal procedure. Looking at the top right corner, the cyan mare noticed the name and could recognize it instantly. It was Tailchaser Homes. The Orphanage that Scootaloo was staying at. Scanning the page, she too was surprised.

They were adoption papers. Papers saying that Firefly had adopted Scootaloo and was now part of her family. Looking back at the Tracer, Rainbow didn’t even have words to express what she felt. Her mother (who she had just found about today for that matter) had adopted the filly that saw her as her big sister?! Why?

“You two always treated each other like sisters, so I thought maybe that you two can really be sisters. I wanted to be with my daughter again and now, we can all be together as a family.”

Both sisters didn’t even know what to say. Instead, they just looked at Firefly and embraced her in a warm and tight hug. They were beyond happy now.

“Congrats, kiddo.” Spitfire told them. The pegasus was about to leave, until Firefly stopped her when she was at the door. Motioning her to come back to them, Spitfire obliged.

“I have one last thing to say before I can start to settle into my home again.” Firefly told everypony in the room. “Rainbow, theres something I want to give you.”

“Really?” The Cyan Mare asked. “What’s that?”

“An opportunity. Everything I saw from you yesterday were all characteristics of mine when I was your age. Remember when I told you yesterday that the world could use more heroes like you?”

Rainbow’s only response was a nod. Because what Firefly said next caught everypony in the building off guard.

“Well, now’s your chance. Rainbow Dash, My oldest daughter… Your skills, bravery, and loyalty to your friends have now brought you here. Would you like to be part of the OverWatch?”

Comments ( 15 )

This is a two part story that includes a small epilogue to the events that occurred. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Shouldn't this be complete, then?

Overwatch is not even out for beta-testing yet and there is so much out for it (fan-art, fan-fics, etc.).

Activision-Blizzard is going to make a fortune before players and buyers come to their senses, and then the game flails, flounders, and flops. :rainbowlaugh:

5464525 Thanks for pointing that out. Just Fixed it
5464549 Well, it's caught my attention xD

5502830 I have quite a few, but I try to focus on projects one at a time. Taking on too many things at once makes my brain hurt

i liked this.:raritywink: i hope you`ll make a sequel.:pinkiehappy:

Please be a sequel, that would be amazing.

7093320 I agree.
6864628 CAPITALISE YOUR 'I'S!

SEQUEL, SEQUEL.

5464549 honestly the game isn't bad, it just has little substance, but the promise seems to be 'bought full game? Most new added content is free'. I've had some good moments and am really enjoying Junkrat, mostly cause I played a ton of tf2 and he's similar to my favorite character there, Demoman

Are you considering on making a sequel? This story was really good by the way, curious on what it will be like if you continue it

7348365 xD. Wrong Esper. Still funny though

This was a fun read!

I enjoy overwatch crossovers, whether it's actual crossover or parody. Nice work here!

Sequel. PLEASE. I NEED MORE!!!

Login or register to comment