• Published 21st Oct 2014
  • 1,853 Views, 54 Comments

Their First... - Alchemystudent



a series of short stories about Twilight and the others many firsts.

  • ...
2
 54
 1,853

Her First Smile

The grey earth pony sat against the wall, a small emotionless sigh escaping her lips. Though she could never show it on her face, the truth was that she was worried. Her mother had been with the mid-wife, nurse, and her father in that room for hours, screaming in horrible agony. Worriedly, she looked up from a small pebble she was playing with to another sound of pain, along with another bout of, “Push, come on, Push.”

Emotionlessly, she turned to look at the pebble and said, “I hope she’s ok boulder. Father said sister was coming before its time and it might hurt her mother. She didn’t want any type of present that might hurt her mother. Looking back at the clock on the wall, Maude continued to wait as the sounds of pain and anger rocked through the farmhouse. While it was true she wanted a sister, a part of her was beginning to think if it was worth all of this trouble.

A few hours later, the screaming had stopped and there was nothing but an uncomfortable silence in the house. Calmly, the filly turned her head to the sound of the door opening and her father stepping out, “Maude? Your sister is here and she wants to see you.”

The three year old did not understand, ‘her sister is here?’ but how did she get delivered? She didn’t hear a cart roll in and deliver her, and that is how deliveries are made, by a cart. That is how her mother and father made rock deliveries so her sister should come by cart. With a shrug and a “Sure,” the grey walked into the room where her mother waited. Past the mid-wife and towards the bed, she caught sight of her mother.

Tired, worn, ragged, and mane out of place, her mother laid on the bed and held in her forelegs a small tiny bundle, “Maude, this is your sister Pinkemena Diane Pie. She wants to say hello to you.”

Curious as to this little bundle, the young mare leaned in to see the little pink thing. It did not seem to be much, just a tiner version of her, only pink and with a flat mane. Maude look a little closer to the new creature in her life, catching sight of her new sister lightly squirming in her mother’s grip and then opening her baby blue eyes. Looking up,she stared straight at Maude and gave a small little baby giggle. Which, as we all know, is basically baby for, “I like you, I don’t know what you are yet, but I like you.”

It was then Maude did something that few could say they've seen her do. Something that few have seen since.

She smiled.