• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 947 Views, 29 Comments

Shard: A Shining Visitor - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Shining Armor comes to visit his sister after a break-up

  • ...
2
 29
 947

Confession of Feelings

"Good luck," Twilight Sparkle called out to Fluttershy before going to bed.

Thanks, Twilight, Fluttershy thought as she continued down the stairs, but I think I'm going to need more than just luck on this. She could still feel her stomach twisting with nervousness. This was outside her comfort zone. She had gotten pretty good at being brave and assertive-- in her own gentle way -- when it came to taking care of Luna, and Princess Temporal, Shining Armor, and her time around the castle had helped her become a little better about talking to other ponies (even if she still had a ways to go). Unfortunately, this fit into neither of those categories. This was her actually having to open up to another pony and express how she actually felt.

There was no need for her to actually tell him, was there? Twilight was in her room in bed, either asleep or reading. Fluttershy could slip back upstairs and into her room unnoticed. No need to say anything to Shining Armor. Just go upstairs and go to bed.

Except Twilight would probably ask about it in the morning. If that was the case, Fluttershy would either have to admit that she got too scared to go through with it, or lie. Neither of those really sounded appealing.

Besides, a little voice in the back of her mind said, if you don't do this, you will regret it. Do you really want him to end up with somepony else without at least knowing how you feel?

No.

Jaw clenching, she took a deep breath and straightened up. Pushing all of her doubts aside, Fluttershy stepped away from the stairs and moved toward the living room.

"Shining Armor."

At the sound of his name, Shining Armor sat up from his spot on the couch. His blue eyes turning to look at her caused Fluttershy to freeze up, her mind going blank.

"Everything okay?" Shining Armor asked.

Fluttershy's mouth opened and closed several times silently before finally squeaking out a barely audible "yes."

"Yes," she repeated louder. "Everything is fine." She moved forward, stepping closer to the stallion on the couch. "It's just... there's something I... I want to talk to you about."

"Does it have anything to do with the story Rarity made up when I got back?"

The question made Fluttershy tense. Her wings spread out as her eyes went wide, ears pulling back against her head.

"You knew?" she asked, the surprise at the realization temporarily overcoming the fear of the whole matter.

"Rarity was pretty convincing," he answered, shifting to face her fully, "but I've known you for years and my sister her entire life. Neither of you are very good liars."

For some reason, Fluttershy grinned, letting out a nervous chuckle. The news made her nervous and uncertain again. He knew that they were lying about the sketch, and was going to let them keep it to themselves. Or was he? Was he simply going to wait until he could talk to his sister alone? No. No, he was not like that. Flutteshy knew that. Either he was willing to let them keep their secret, or simply wait until they decided to come clean on their own.

Guess I should go ahead and come clean then.

"Yes," Fluttershy said as she moved closer still. "It has something to do with that. Do you mind if I sit down?"

"Not at all." Moving, Shining Armor set himself on one side of the couch, making sure their was plenty of space for Fluttershy. Sitting on the opposite side, Fluttershy wrapped her wings around herself and stared at the floor.

Several seconds passed in silence.

"Are you sure everything's okay?" Shining Armor asked again.

"Yes," Fluttershy repeated. "It's just... well..."

She took a deep breath then blurted out:

"I've had a crush on you since I was a filly and I would like to go out on a date with you."

She then closed her eyes and squeezed down, trying to make herself as small as possible while waiting for his reaction.

"Could you repeat that?" Shining Armor asked. "I didn't quite catch... well... most of it really."

With a huff, Fluttershy opened her eyes and turned to face him. She had already said it once. Now she felt like she could say it again while actually looking at him.

"I like you," Fluttershy stated. "I have since I was a little filly and had a crush on you. I never said anything because you were with Cadence and I was still little. But now I'm all grown up and your no longer with her. I still like and hope you feel the same way about me."

Shining Armor stared at Fluttershy, thinking about what she had said. He had known that she had been crushing on him when she was younger, but thought that she had grown out of it. Now, here she was, an attractive young mare, telling him that she still had romantic feelings for him.

"I..." he started, then paused before trying again. "I'm flattered you feel that way, and admire your courage for telling me."

Fluttershy frowned, her heart sinking. The way he was talking did not sound like the start of Shining Armor saying he felt that way about her too. Quite the opposite in fact.

"I like you," he continued, "a lot. But, I'm not sure if I like you in that way." He looked at his own hooves. "I always kind of saw you more as another little sister than anything. I'm not flat out saying that I don't have feelings for you. It's more of... I'm not entirely sure how I feel."

Fluttershy slid on the couch, moving closer.

"Can I try something?" she asked, looking toward him, but more down than forward.

Shining Armor turned and faced her, raising an eyebrow.

"I guess," he replied. "What is it?"

After moving closer, Fluttershy reached out with her front hooves and took a hold of Shining Armor's face. After taking a deep breath and steeling her nervous, she closed her eyes and leaned forward, pressing her lips against his.

Shining Armor's eyes went wide as he felt Fluttershy kissing him. Slowly he relaxed, eyes closing and ears pinning back as he returned the kiss. Wrapping his forelegs around Fluttershy, Shining Armor pulled her closer to him until their chests pressed against each other. The was a small thrill through his body as he heard a faint whimper of pleasure. Something rubbed against his sides and back as it wrapped around him.

The two broke the kiss, breathing heavily and their cheeks flush. Fluttershy's bat wings had wrapped around Shining Armor, holding him close against her.

"Sorry to ruin the moment," he whispered, "but you do know that I have to go back to Canterlot in a few days, right?"

"Then I guess we should make our time together really count," Fluttershy responded before leaning in to kiss him again.