• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 942 Views, 29 Comments

Shard: A Shining Visitor - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Shining Armor comes to visit his sister after a break-up

  • ...
2
 29
 942

A Stallion at The Door

Fluttershy sat at the table, watching the activity going on in the kitchen. Pinkie Pie stood on her hind legs, her pony disguise off for the time being. She had one of her front legs wrapped around a bowl, holding it in place, and held the whisk in the other as she mixed the batter. Next to her, the filly Princess Luna was trying to ice the cupcakes that had already been finished, the frosting similar to the color of her coat and the night sky.

"I appreciate what you're doing, Pinkie," Fluttershy said.

"No problem," Pinkie said with a grin, showing off her changeling fangs. "It is little Lulu's first slumber party after all. We want it to be fun and memorable. Right, Luna?"

"Right," Luna agreed with a grin, her wings giving a flicker of excitement. "And who better to help than the best party planning pony in the history of ever?"

Pinkie grinned wider, letting out a small chuckle at the filly's compliment. She moved as she stopped stirring, pouring the batter into the cupcake wrappers.

A knock at the door got the attention of the three ponies.

"I'll get it," Fluttershy said as she got up. "You two keep working on your cupcakes."

Pinkie and Luna nodded as they continued their work. Fluttershy smiled, glad to see her ward so excited, as she made her way through the living room and toward the door.

Standing on the other side was Rarity. Beside her was a small unicorn filly. The filly had a sheer white coat, same as Rarity. Her mane, however, was very different. Half of it was a pale pastel pink, with the other half a similarly shaded purple, and the entirety of it a small mess of curls.

"We're here," Rarity announce in a sing-song voice. "Sweetie Belle, this is my friend, Fluttershy. She takes care of Luna and will be watching you tonight. Fluttershy, this is my sister, Sweetie Belle."

Fluttershy leaned down to eye level and smiled (close-mouthed to keep her fangs hidden) before holding out a hoof.

"Nice to meet you, Sweetie Belle."

"You too, Miss Fluttershy," Sweetie Belle responded, shaking the offered hoof. "Thank you for inviting me."

Fluttershy moved aside, allowing the pair to enter, and shut the door behind them.

"Luna is in the kitchen with Pinkie Pie making cupcakes. You should go joi-"

Sweetie Belle shot off like a rocket and headed toward the kitchen.

"-oin them and introduce yourself," Fluttershy finished.

"Sweetie Belle can be a bit excitable," Rarity said, "but for the most part, she's a well-behaved filly. If you have any problems with her, let me know.

"Have fun, Sweetie," she called out toward the kitchen.

"You sure you don't want to stay for a little bit?" Fluttershy asked.

"Perhaps another time," Rarity replied. "There are still a few minor details to check on prior to opening for the evening. I want to be certain that Coco is capable of managing matters on her own before I need to let her do so."

Rarity turned and headed for the door, her horn glowing as she gripped the handle in her magic. She stopped as she opened it, eyes going wide.

"Oh, my," she gasped out.

Rarity had opened it just as a unicorn stallion was about to knock. He was taller than average, with a hint of toned muscle beneath his white coat of fur. By no means in the same size and strength category as Big Macintosh, but still a very well-built and handsome stallion. His multi-hued blue mane was short and a bit mussy. He stared at Rarity with his blue eyes wide and mouth hanging open.

"Oh my," Rarity said, almost whispering. She turned to face toward the kitchen.

"Darling. It seems you have a stallion caller."

Rarity turned her attention back to the stallion and grinned.

"A very handsome stallion caller at that," she added, licking her lips. "How can I ... help... you?"

"Am..." the stallion stuttered before coughing and straightening up. "Am I in the right place? My name is Shining Armor and I'm looking for Twilight Sparkle. I think this is where she's lives."

"You're at the correct house," Rarity answered. "Twilight Sparkle does indeed live here. However, I fear you may be quite disappointed. I sincerely doubt that you would be considered her... type, as it were."

Shining Armor's face scrunched up in confusion as he took in what Rarity said. His eyes then went wide with understanding, and wider still in shock.

"What?" he cried out. "You think that I'm here to... No. No! It's not like that. You see I'm..."

He stopped as Rarity laughed, his cheeks turning a bright pink color.

Fluttershy stopped as she reached the door, seeing her friend enjoying herself thoroughly for some reason.

"Rarity? Is everything o-" she noticed the stallion at the door. "-Oh! Lieutenant Shining Armor. What brings you to Ponyville?"

"It seems," Rarity said as she continued to chuckle, "that he has finally come to visit his little sister and see how she is doing."

Shining Armor looked from Fluttershy to Rarity and raised an eyebrow.

"You knew?" he asked.

"As soon as you told me your name," Rarity answered. "I have heard a bit about you from both Twilight and Fluttershy. It just seemed like it would be fun to tease you a little." She smirked. "And I was correct. Although I expected a little more self-control from a lieutenant in the royal guard."

Shining Armor blushed and shifted, looking away from the door and toward the ground.

Rarity moved forward and out the door.

"Well, as lovely as it was to meet you, I really must be going. Have a club to run and all. You should come by some evening before you return to Canterlot. I'll make sure you have a wonderful. And don't worry. I won't bite."

She grinned.

"Until we're alone," she added with a wink before leaving.

Shining Armor and Fluttershy watched Rarity go a moment before turning to each other.

"Is she always so... direct?" asked Shining Armor.

"I've never seen her do something like that before," Fluttershy answered, "but I haven't known her very long, so I can't really say.

"Anyway, would you like to come in? Twilight won't be back until tomorrow. We're actually in the kitchen making cupcakes and getting ready for Luna's first sleepover."

"Thank you," Shining Armor said as he stepped inside. He suddenly froze.

"Wait."

He turned to look at Fluttershy.

"Did you say Twily won't be back until tomorrow?" he asked. "Where did she go?"

"The library," Fluttershy answered.

Shining Armor looked at her a moment, then chuckled and shook his head.

"Guess I shouldn't be surprised," he stated. "Let me guess, doing research for some big project? Seeking legends and rumors about other long lost treasures? She must have made friends with the librarian to be able to stay all night."

"Uh...." Fluttershy let out, one of her ears twitching. "Actually... she knew the librarian already. It was her former dormmate, Trixie."

"Oh," Pinkie Pie (looking like a pink pony once again) cried out. "Are you talking about Twilight's marefriend?"

"Marefriend?!"