• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 943 Views, 29 Comments

Shard: A Shining Visitor - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Shining Armor comes to visit his sister after a break-up

  • ...
2
 29
 943

Disappointment and Understanding

"I tried to keep an eye on them," Rarity said after telling her story, "have their conversation to listened in on whenever a server passes, and be ready to intervene if anything seemed to be taking a turn for the romantic. For the most part, they were comparing experiences in their jobs as guards, so I was not too worried. Unfortunately, Torch Song -- who was supposed to sing later -- had a bit of an emergency that required my assistance. Before I came back, the two of them had left together."

Twilight and Fluttershy sat there, looking at their friend and thinking about what she had just told them.

"I wonder what they're doing now," Twilight said, getting the other two to look at her. Rarity raised an eyebrow.

"I thought somepony would have explained this to you by now," Rarity replied. "You see, Twilight, when two or more ponies -- in this case, a mare and a stallion -- find each other attractive--"

"I know about...that..." Twilight Sparkle snapped, her cheeks turning pink. "I just don't think my brother would do that with a mare he just met. So they must be doing something else."

"Even if he's feeling vulnerable after a break-up?" Rarity asked.

Twilight groaned and rubbed her head.

"I'm stopping this conversation now," she stated. "I really don't want to think of my brother doing.... that..."

Rarity let out a huff and rolled her eyes, but said nothing.

"What do you think they are doing then?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight considered it a moment, rubbing her chin.

"Well," she said slowly after some consideration, "they started talking after she sang, and Rarity did say that she wrote the song as part of a musical. Maybe they're going to create a rock opera about being a guard?"

"Really?" Rarity asked. She turned and looked at Fluttershy. Rarity did not believe what Twilight was saying for one moment, and really wanted to call her out on it. At the same time, it seemed like a bad idea to push the subject. Rarity wanted to be honest on the matter, but did not want to make Fluttershy upset more.

"That does actually sound like a good idea," she said instead. "If that's not the case, remind me about it later. It could make quite a show.

"Now if you will excuse me." She moved to get up. "As much as I would like to stay and chat, I still have matters at the club to take care of. Fluttershy, I apologize again for not being able to assist you in your plan..."

The rest of her statement stopped in her throat. She watched as Twilight and Fluttershy both had their eyes go wide, Twilight making a slicing motion across her throat and Fluttershy giving a rapid shake of her head.

"What plan?" the familiar voice of Shining Armor asked from behind Rarity, causing her to tense. Her mind worked rapidly to think of an excuse.

"Fluttershy...was... thinking about making a comedy sketch about being a batpony." She grinned. "Being in entertainment, she was wondering if I could help her out. Unfortunately, while I am quite capable of comedy, I am rather lacking in the skills required to teach others such as well."

Shining Armor blinked before turning to Fluttershy.

"Really?"

Fluttershy shuffled her hooves, feeling her face warm up.

"Yes," she mumbled. "I... I thought... well... uhm..."

"That by making something with batponies that ponies would enjoy," Twilight jumped in, "she would be able to also make them notice some of the problems they face, seeing as they are so insular. Plus, it might make some of the batponies that do interact with others to know that they aren't alone."

"Yes," Fluttershy agreed, nodding rapidly. "Yes, that's it exactly."

"I must say that I'm surprised to see you here," Rarity said, hoping to change the subject and distract Shining Armor before he could think about the excuse too much. "When I had heard you had left with Captain Heartstrings, I assumed you would be staying the night with her."

"Why would..." Shining Armor started. He then stopped, letting out a slight gasp as he realized what she meant.

"No no. Nothing like that. We were talking about what it was like being a guard, and Captain Heartstrings wanted to leave in case you planned on trying to get her to perform an encore."

Rarity grinned and let out a chuckle.

"I will admit to considering it, but not this time." She moved to step past him.

"As I was saying, I really do need to get back to work. Shining, glad you had a great time. Fluttershy, good luck with your project." She gave a wink that Shining Armor would not see. "Twilight, have a good evening." Giving one more smile, she quickly made her way for the door. As soon as she was outside, she let out a sigh of relief.

Shining Armor watched her go, then turned to Twilight and Fluttershy.

"Speaking of Captain Heartstrings, we could use your help tomorrow, Twily."

"Really?" Twilight asked. "What for?"

"Captain Hearstrings and I were talking," Shining Armor explained, "and we were comparing what it was like to be a royal guard to being a town guard. At one point, we were talking about basic and continued training. As we did, we both started noticing differences. Then, I had an idea. Maybe we could have a representative from one group visit the other and share some of the differences that might prove helpful."

"That does sound like a good idea," Fluttershy said.

"Thanks," Shining Armor responded, smiling. "But to do it, we need to write up proposals for the mayor and Royal Guard Command." He turned his full attention back to Twilight. "That's why I need your help. You probably have the best capabilities of writing the proposal properly."

"I guess I can help," Twilight said. "I might have to check a few things to make certain that everything is properly written."

"Well," Fluttershy said, "while you two discuss this, I'm going to head up to bed. I'll see you two in the morning. Good night Twilight, Shining Armor."

"Night," Shining Armor responded.

"Hold on," Twilight called out. "I'll walk up with you. Sounds like I have a lot of work to do in the morning, and I need to get my sleep. Night Shiny."

Shining Armor moved to give his sister a hug. After, she and Fluttershy headed for the stairs and up toward their rooms.

"Fluttershy," Twilight whispered once they were out of earshot, "aren't you going to tell Shining Armor about how you feel?"

Fluttershy shifted, her hair falling across her face. One of her ears gave a flick.

"Not tonight," she said. "I think it can wait. Besides, it sounds like he has a lot on his mind."

Twilight's horned began to glow. Using her magic, she took a hold of Fluttershy and turned her so the two were facing each other. Twilight then pushed the mane out of the way so that they were looking eye to eye.

"Now is not the time to get scared and put it off," Twilight stated. "From what I understand, if you do, it will just be harder to do next time."

"... I don't know..."

"Fluttershy, look at me. Now is the perfect time. He's here, he's still single, and he's in a good mood. You should go and tell him."

"But..." Fluttershy started, then stopped. She was uncertain what to say. At the moment, being so close to actually going through with it, she felt nervous. It felt like bats were flapping around in her stomach.

"Listen," Twilight said after Fluttershy had been quiet for over ten seconds, "do you want to end up having him meet another mare and get with her before you tell him?"

"...No..." Fluttershy conceded.

"Then get back downstairs, and tell him how you feel." Twilight released Fluttershy from her magical grip. "I'll be up for a few more minutes, so if you want, you can come and tell me about it after. Okay?"

Closing her eyes, Fluttershy took a deep breath then slowly let it out. She gave a nod and started to head back down the stairs.

"Good luck," Twilight called after her before going into her bedroom.