• Published 6th Oct 2014
  • 947 Views, 29 Comments

Shard: A Shining Visitor - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Shining Armor comes to visit his sister after a break-up

  • ...
2
 29
 947

Awkward Morning

Twilight Sparkle laid in bed, opening her eyes. The morning sun shined through the window, bathing her room in gentle light. A new day was waiting for Twilight.

But the bed and blankets were quite insistent, and very persuasive.

"There's no reason for you to get up yet," they said. "Plus, feel how warm and soft it is. Stay here with us. You are already accept by us. Surely you can stay a little longer. Perhaps a week? At the very least, you can wait until lunch."

As persuasive and enticing as the offer was, Twilight decided that -- as much as she wanted to -- she very well could not stay in bed for an entire week. At the very least, she would have to get up to tend to biological needs such as food. Besides, she did have things to do today. Her brother was still visiting, and he had asked for her help to write a proposal. She could neither spend time with her older brother, nor work on said proposal, while curled up in bed under her soft, warm, comforting, inviting sheets and blankets.

Well... she could, but it would be kind of awkward. Besides, Daring Do would never just lie in bed. Although "not willingly" would probably be more accurate. Considering all that Daring Do had been through and how many time she has been injured, there were probably times where she was forced to stay in bed -- if not the hospital -- until sufficiently recovering.

The idea of not being able to get up was enough to encourage Twilight to do so herself. A quick stop at her dresser to brush her mane, and she was ready to face the new day.

Stepping out into the hall, she stopped, ears perking. She thought she heard something. Head shifting and ears twitching, she listened intently. It sounded to Twilight like she was hearing... snoring? That was unexpected. It almost sounded like...

No, she thought to herself, giving a shake of her head. It couldn't be.

After listening a little longer, Twilight moved back and forth, trying to find the direction of the sound. Once found, she followed it, making her way toward Fluttershy's bedroom door. Leaning close, she pressed an ear to it and held her breath.

Sure enough, the sound was coming from inside Fluttershy's room. After sharing a room and then a house with her, Twilight knew that Fluttershy did not snore. She did make this little squeaking noise from time to time, but no actual, full-on, snoring. So if it not Fluttershy, it must be somepony else. Which would mean...

No, she thought to herself as she took a step back. Walk away Twilight. Just walk away. Her horn started to glow with magic. It's none of your business. Even if he's your brother and she's your friend, they are both consenting adults. Her magic gripped the knob, turning it. Besides, do you really want to risk seeing your brother after... that... Pushing the door open a crack, she stepped forward and peeked inside.

Catching sight of something white and electric blue, Twilight shut the door, fighting the urge to slam it shut and disturb the sleeping ponies. Trying to push the sight and its implications from her mind, she made her way downstairs and toward the kitchen. She turned on the coffeemaker and tried to distract herself by making breakfast.

A few minutes later, the smell of fresh brewed coffee filled the air. Shortly after, the silence was interrupted by the sound of hooves coming down the stairs.

"Morning Twily," Shining Armor called out as he entered the kitchen.

"Morning," she replied. Her eyes flicked away from him to the coffee machine. Grabbing the pot, she poured herself a cup before adding milk and honey. Her gaze shifted to her brother who was getting mug for himself. As soon as he turned around from the cabinet, her attention returned to her cup. She took a sip.

She could feel her brother's eyes on her as she continued to drink. Her cheeks started to turn pink.

"Everything okay?" Shining Armor asked.

"Yeah," Twilight replied. She looked up at him and grinned, her eyes glancing off toward the window. "Why wouldn't it be?"

There was a pause as Shining Armor took a drink, still watching his sister.

"If you say so," Shining said as he put his coffee down. "Anyway, there's something I need to talk to you about."

"Unless it's about your pro... business proposal to the mayor and princess," Twilight stated, "no there isn't."

"Twilight, this is serious." He moved to face her and took a deep breath. "Last night after you went to bed, Fluttershy--" He was cut off by a hoof being placed over his mouth.

"I know what happened after I went to bed," Twilight told him. The statement made Shining Armor blanch, his eyes going wide.

"You did? I'm sorry Twily. I didn't think we were that loud.'

"No!" Twilight snapped. "That's not -- gah! I didn't want to know that! Ew. No. Ew ew ew! That's not what I meant."

"...oh..."

Twilight took a long, slow, deep breath, and let it out. She collected herself, pushing out the thought of Shining Armor and Fluttershy (Oh, Temporal! I swear I can hear it now). Feeling calm and in control once again, she opened her eyes and looked at her brother.

"Fluttershy told me how she felt last night before Rarity came over," She stated, "and wanted to be sure I was okay with it, which I am. I also had to encourage her to go and tell you how I felt before going to bed."

Before the conversation could go any further, the sound of another pony approaching reached their ears. They both turned to see Fluttershy coming in, who stopped and stared at the pair as she realized she was being watched.

"Am I interrupting something?"

"I was just telling Shining Armor that I already knew about you two," Twilight told her.

"Oh," Fluttershy responded, looking down at her hooves. "I'm sorry Twilight. I didn't think we were that lou-"

"NOT! LIKE! THAT!" Twilight shouted before slamming her head against the table with a groan.

Fluttershy moved closer. Reaching out a wing, she placed it on Twilight's back.

"Are you sure you're okay with this?"

"Honestly?" Twilight looked up, her gave focusing on Fluttershy and Shining Armor. "This is a little weird for me. I want you two to be happy together and hope it works out, but it still feels weird for me that my older brother is now in a relationship with my best friend."

Shining Armor shifted and let out a sigh.

"Twi-"

"No," Twilight cut in. "Look. I just need time to get used to the way things are. Don't worry about me, okay?"

"Okay," Shining Armor said.

"Okay," Fluttershy agreed.

"Good," Twilight replied before drinking the rest of her coffee. "Now, I need to go and check on what's needed for a proposal to a township as well as the princess." She got up and headed toward the door.

"While I'm gone, why don't you two get to know each other." She paused, turning to look at them. "Not in the way you did last night." With that, she continued to the door and left, heading off to the library.

Shining Armor and Fluttershy watched her go before turning to look at each other.

"Well," Fluttershy said, shifting, "that wasn't how I expected this morning to start."

"Me neither," Shining Armor agreed.

"Do you think she'll be okay?"

"Yeah." He moved closer, pressing his shoulder against hers. "You heard her. She's happy for us and needs time to get used to us. We probably do as well."

Fluttershy pressed back against him, her wing opening to wrap around his body. She looked at him from the corner of her eye and gave a half smile.

"So, you think we should talk like she said?" she asked.

Shining Armor lifted his head and narrowed his eyes, studying her.

"Did you have something else in mind?"

"Well it sounds like a good idea," Fluttershy admitted, "but... I was just thinking that maybe we could take a shower first. You know, together." She grinned.

Shining Armor returned the gesture as his horn started glowing. Picking up Fluttershy and putting her on his back, he started back up the stairs. Fluttershy held onto him, leaning up to nip at one of his ears.