• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 663 Views, 5 Comments

The Moon Worshiper Part 2: Knight of the Moon - CreatureofTheNight



The Sequal to The Moon Worshiper. Dark Sidewinder has been made an offer from Princess Luna herself!

  • ...
5
 5
 663

Fine Lines

Author's Note:

Ah finally some inspiration. I hope you all liked my Villain one shots probably gonna do more, they are really fun.

With the words of Princess Luna guiding him, Dark got up the next day and walked to Starnight. "Listen about last night..." Dark started to say, the guilt flooding his eyes.

Starnight smiled and said "Don't worry about it, Dark. You look like you had a good sleep" Dark nodded.

General said from the distance "All right maggots listen up! Obstacle course, five laps on the double right this very minute!" The recruits walked outside, and Dark followed as such. "All right maggots, time to show me what you can do" Dark nodded and, well it didn't go as well as he would have hoped would have been an understatement. He tripped and fell face first upon the starting gate. He got back up and kept running like mad falling again. He dusted himself off and then suddenly saw Starnight passing him on the lap. He grumbled and spread his wings defiant, and ran as fast as he could to the first obstacle, a rope and a wall.

He grabbed the rope with his hooves and started to climb up it, General looking on in silence. Dark got about half way and then fell down landing hard on his wings. He winced in pain as he slowly stood up. General said "Rookie, that wing isn't looking that good I'd call it a day" Dark ignored him and grabbed the rope. He felt his grip loosen again at the half way point again, he then gripped the rope with his teeth to keep his grip. He forced himself to grab the rope and pulled himself up and over and fell down the wall again on the hurt wing.

Starnight walked past him and said "Dark you're wing's not looking to good" Dark stood up silent and ran to the other obstacles clearly in pain, and started to run through the tires laid out. Dark's hoof got caught and he fell face forward, than got up and ran as fast as he could coming to a turn, he ran past it, doing something he hadn't done in the entirety of the time he was here, actually made the curve without falling and ran to the third obstacle, a rope swing for Earth Ponies and Unicorns or a bunch of aerial hoops for pegusai. Dark backed up and spread his wings, and couldn't help but cry out in pain as he saw Starnight swing past him in the rope.

Dark's eyes shifted to a look of fiery determination as he flapped his wings as fast as he could flying through the hoops before crashing on the ground below. At this point the other rookies including Starnight had to stop what they were doing to watch this. Dark stood up wobbling, and then limp ran to the final obstacle course which was a swimming course Dark paddled like crazy, but really wasn't going anywhere, not only that but the force of the water was rubbing against his wings and burned him as crawled out of the watering hole gingerly. He started to limp run again, clearly beat up to no regards and ran finally crossing his first lap. He prepared to go again, when Starnight and the General stopped in front of him. Starnight spoke first. "Dude, you're done"

Dark said "I have more laps left, I'm always last remember?" Dark said trying to move

"Dude, your pushing yourself to hard, you need to get that wing looked at this isn't smart Dark!" Starnight said blocking him off. "Listen to me, will you?" Dark still kept trying, but Starnight was faster, more agile and kept blocking him off every time.

Finally General said "ENOUGH!" Dark and Starnight both stopped. "Private Sidewinders, sidelines for medical attention NOW!" Dark looked at him as General said "That's an order rookie!" Dark looked at the sidelines as he walked to the bench, where some EMT's went to work examining his wing. They told him he was lucky he didn't break it with this little stunt, and that he should avoid flying for a little bit. General came to Dark after he ordered the rest to continue the course laps. He said "Son, what in Celestia's good name are you thinking?" He said to Dark as Dark looked away from him. "Well, answer me Rookie!"

"I just wanted to show you I can do this sir!" Dark said quietly. "I can't just give up because of a little injury" He looked down. "I'm never gonna give up or come close to it ever again" Dark said as General sighed.

"Son, there's determination and and there's idiocy" He said to him point blank "What you were doing was idiocy"

Dark looked at him "But...but I thought determination is what was needed around here" Dark said quietly. "I can't just give up because I got a little hurt" He then looked down "Princess Luna said to me last night that..."

"She wouldn't want you to be dead, boy!" General responded with venom. Dark looked away after that. "Look, you've got heart and at the risk of stroking your ego I think you got what it takes to be a guard more than anyone else here." Dark looked up at that. "However, you need to know something. There is a fine line between guts and being stupid" He then said "I'll give you an example, a monster attacks Canterlot, you stand up to the monster and fight it. That's guts because you are doing what you are in the way of a beast that will harm ponies and you are determine to save them regardless of what happens to you. That's bravery, that's honorable, and that's being a guard." He then said "You nearly kill yourself over an obstacle course...that's not being brave, that's being stupid" Dark looked away. "Look, I admire your drive, reminds me of a younger stallion in your position," He looked out and watched the recruits and sat next to Dark. "But remember from now, the differences between guts and brains."

Dark looked out as he sighed, it making sense. "I'll try to sir, I'm sorry" Dark stood up as Starnight walked to him, finishing first as always.

Starnight said "You gonna be okay?"

"I'll be fine, I was just being an idiot" Dark responded quietly.

Starnight smirked "I'll say" He sat next to Dark. "Apology accepted anyways"

Elsewhere in Ponyville the red mist had begun to cover the area again, the ponies of that area not knowing about it until it's to late, collapsing and falling asleep. Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and even Discord, sharing the same fate as Fluttershy collapsing into a deep sleep. As the mist kept spreading Twilight was in her library in her castle, frantically looking for what was responsible and how to stop it as fast as possible. Unbeknownst to her, the red mist kept seeping into the library. Spike, being with Twilight screamed in terror as he saw it. Twilight turned but the mist struck her and Spike. They fought against falling asleep for a while, until eventually they both collapsed falling into a deep sleep.

Outside the castle the red mist gathered forming a figure and finally subsiding, revealing a pony standing there with large feathered wings, red skin, a horn on her head, a long flowing red mane, and in royal garb all over her body. She smiled as her cold steel blue eyes opened and she said "Ah, it feels so good to be back and helping my ponies with eternal sleep. 1542 years, it's been far to long since I've seen my little ponies again" She flew up and landed on the top of the town hall. "Lovely town" She looked ahead and in the distance she saw the guard camp and smirked. "More ponies who need to feel dreams sweet embrace"