• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 663 Views, 5 Comments

The Moon Worshiper Part 2: Knight of the Moon - CreatureofTheNight



The Sequal to The Moon Worshiper. Dark Sidewinder has been made an offer from Princess Luna herself!

  • ...
5
 5
 663

Saved from the Brink

Author's Note:

Nice comments are nice :D

The following day was tough on Dark. General kept running everyone ragged, Dark being the slowest, and the weakest every time. General kept trying to encourage Dark, but it wasn't working. His usual optimism started to get replaced with self doubt. Dark kept failing every single time, and it started to get to him. General said "Private Sidewinder, you're getting better" General said to a frustrated Dark.

"Not good enough" Dark responded looking down. He struggled back up and somberly walked back to the cabin. He fell over on the bed, and looked down. Starnight came in and Dark muttered "Worst one, every single time" He sighed "I knew this would be a mistake."

Starnight said "Don't worry about it Dark, you'll get better. Trust me, you're gonna be a great guard for Princess Luna" He said with a smile. Dark looked away from him. "Trust me, I know you can do it"

Dark responded with "How would you know? You're the best in the academy, I'm the worst. What do you know about failures like this?" Starnight looked at his newfound friend hurt. Dark slowly began to notice, "I mean, I'm sorry that, that didn't come out right...I..."

"You need to be alone, I get it" Starnight said leaving Dark alone in silence. Dark quietly looked down.

He said to himself "Nice going, Dark." He sighed as he looked up at the Moon. "What do you see in me anyways? I'm pathetic" He started to close his eyes. He then heard footsteps outside and started to look outside. He started to try to go back to sleep, but he heard more noise. He opened the door slowly, and saw other thestrals looking directly at him. They were all glaring, eyes full of hatred. Dark started to notice that he was in guard armor. He ran into the room and gasped in horror seeing Princess Luna laying motionless on the ground, seeing Princess Celestia glaring eyes not filled with the usual kindness, just pure rage and hate. He backed away hitting a door, as those hate filled eyes kept looking at him. He backed away getting increasingly more and more afraid. A low growl rose from Celestia's lips and suddenly Dark fell out of an open window falling from Canterlot, to scared to use his wings.

Suddenly, he heard a loud voice go "Enough!" He then felt himself falling on the back of a tall pony. He looked to his side, and saw a blue swirling starry mane in his face. He looked down embarrassed as he knew right away this was Princess Luna. Luna flew into the air and landed him in the middle of a void of nothing but white space. She gave Dark a look of such disappointment which caused him to look at the ground not wanting to meet that look again. "Dark Sidewinder, please look at me when I'm talking to you." Dark's head did not move what so ever. Luna looked at her most faithful follower and asked "What was that dream about my loyal follower?" Dark suddenly got quiet. "Dark Sidewinder look at me" He looked away getting quiet. "You aren't doubting yourself are you?" Dark nodded, still as silent as a wall. Luna sighed quietly and said "I can't understand what's wrong if you do not tell me so" Dark said something quietly. "What was that?"

Dark said louder "I'm not worthy to talk to you. I keep failing you" Dark said quietly. "Every time I try, I end up being the worst one in the entire academy, I'm not cut out for this I keep on failing like crazy!" He said his volume raising. "I, I don't understand what you see in me Princess, I'm terrible" Dark said in lament. Luna was silent as Dark finally met her eyes. "Why do you think I'm worthy of this?"

"Because you aren't the strongest pony" Luna said quietly, which caused Dark to give her the biggest weird look ever. She said "You're stronger than you think you are, honestly seeing everyone else in this academy I truly believe you are the best student in this academy"

Dark responded with "I'm the worst one, I can't complete a single course in any place but last, I fail every time too" Dark looked down. "I'm barely improving, if at all. I'm not fit for this kind of thing"

Luna gave Dark a glare which caused Dark to shut up instantly, his mouth a gape in fear. "You're the strongest because you possess a heart unlike any pony here" Dark got silent here. "You've working harder and harder than any stallion I've seen in quite some time. Even if you are failing right now, you will not give up." She tilted Dark's head up, after he looked down again. "That's a noble quality to have, to never give up and to keep on trying no matter how hard you've failed" She smiled at him as the Princess of the Night walked with him. "Doubt like this, doubt on whether or not you are strong enough to have a noble purpose. It's enough to drive someone mad"

Dark asked "How do you know?"

"Did you ever the legend of the Mare on the Moon?" Luna responded.

"Yeah, of course, an old ponies tale about Nightmare Moon." Was Dark's response.

Luna responded with "That legend is true, I know because I lived it" Dark's mouth was a gape in shock. "I was filled with doubt that my subjects even cared about me,, after all most ponies sleep during the night missing how wonderful the night can really be" Dark was about to say something but Luna continued before he could. "So, my doubt consumed me, it filled me, making me a monster" She sighed "I ignored my sister who tried her best to reassure me, to calm me down, to save me." She looked up at the moon which was prominent in Dark's dream. "So, in the end my doubts turned me into something I wasn't, a cruel beast who wanted nothing more than to hurt the ponies I used to go to great lengths to protect" She sighed "Even though my friends and my sister saved me, there are days I doubt myself still, wonder if I really matter" She slowly smiled "But when I see my sister's smiling face telling me how much she believed in me, and how much she knows that I matter, it helps more than she can ever know" She looked at Dark. "I believe in you because you have the heart and compassion of a true guard. I don't think you can do this." Dark got quiet "I know you can"

Dark looked away at that. "Thank you, my princess but what if I'm not strong enough"

Luna laughed "I don't want the strongest guard in Equestria, I want the best guard" She patted his head. "You're not the strongest pony in the world, but I know that you can do this" She smiled and said "I believe in you, but you need to believe in yourself." She smiled "Trust me, Dark Sidewinder"

Dark looked down and said "You...really think I can be a guard?" Luna nodded. He slowly smiled "Thank you so much"

Luna smiled and said "Well a hero is supposed to inspire now isn't she?" Dark turned red at that comment. She giggled slightly and patted his head, then left Dark alone to get some rest.

Back in the awake world, the red mist started to slowly go into Ponyville, near Fluttershy's cottage. She woke up and saw the mist, but before she let out a sound she fell into a deep sleep.