• Published 11th Sep 2014
  • 9,523 Views, 587 Comments

Always - Vlad



When Severus Snape died, he did so with many regrets. And we all know that death can do...funny things to those with unfinished business. And, stuck in a bright, garish world surrounded by creatures more infantile than any first-year, now so does he.

  • ...
44
 587
 9,523

Chapter Seven

"Elements of Harmony...Come on, there has to be SOMETHING!" Twilight searched through book after book at a frantic pace, only interrupted when Rainbow Dash nearly bowled her over.

"And just what ARE the 'Elements of Harmony'?" She glared at Twilight, eyes narrowed in suspicion. "And how did you know about Nightmare Moon?"

"Perhaps if you give her some space, she could enlighten all of us." Snape droned, eyeing Rainbow with thinly-veiled contempt. The sky-blue pegasus turned on him, magenta eyes glaring daggers at the lanky man.

"And you! You're even more suspicious than Twilight. The day before the Bogeymare comes back, you pop up out of nowhere! If anypony's a spy here, I'm betting on you."

"Ah reckon' she's got a point..." Applejack's glare matched Rainbow's in intensity, which Snape dutifully ignored. "Ya definitely don't act like no decent pony. An' yer covered in all black, jes' like Nightmare."

"See? Even Applejack says he's got 'lackey' written all over him!" Rainbow crowed. Both of Snape's eyes twitch.

"Girls!" Twilight shouted. "He looks strange, yes...And he's a bit mean...and smells funny..." Snape scowled. I will not curse the unicorn. I will not curse the unicorn. "But the fact remains he hasn't actually DONE anything to hurt anypony."

"Yet." Rainbow muttered.

"Actually..." Rarity started, looking a bit uncomfortable. "He saved me from a nasty fall earlier today. If he hadn't intervened, I could've been seriously injured."

"I don't think he's so bad..." Fluttershy nearly whispered from behind her mane.

"He's really good at Hide n' Seek!" Pinkie added, a wide grin on her muzzle and a large book balanced on her head. The book was levitated to Twilight, her eyes widening.

"Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide...Pinkie, where did you find this?"

"It was under 'E'!"

Snape and Twilight's eyes twitched simultaneously, identical thoughts running through their heads. That's NOT how books are organized...

Neither noticed the other's discomfort. Opening the book, Twilight cleared her throat. "The Elements of Harmony are six incredibly powerful magical artefacts, used by Princess Celestia to banish her mad sister to the moon. Only five of the Elements are known: Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, and Loyalty. The sixth is a complete mystery. The last known location of the Elements is the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters in..." Twilight gulped, the words stuck in her throat. "...The Everfree Forest."

"Then I suggest we alert the authorities and have these Elements secured, so we can figure out how to use them." Snape declared, looking over the assembled ponies.

"There's no time for that! I need to get them as soon as possible!" Twilight galloped away, leaving the library door hanging open. Snape tried to speak, but the other five had followed before he could get a word out.

Snape had a flashback of a young trio of Gryffindors wandering repeatedly into mortal peril. It's like Potter, Weasley, and Granger...but there's SIX of them. Snape refused to cry. But he really, really wanted to.

"Insufferable, aren't they? My sister," Nightmare's voice spat the word like a poison as she materialized from a shadow, "did them no favors by coddling them for the past thousand years."

Snape refused to turn and face her. "I didn't hear you come in."

"It's amazing how easy it is to move unnoticed when nopony is paying attention." Nightmare nearly purred, a predatory smirk adorning her face. Snape narrowed his eyes at hearing his own words thrown back at him.

"You've been in my mind." It was a statement, not a question. "I'd prefer you didn't." He was somewhat unnerved. He hadn't felt anything break through his Occlumency barriers.

"The mind has always been my domain, Severus Snape. You'd do well to remember that." She slowly walked a half-circle around him, until she could see his face. Snape gave an internal smirk at that. If she was accommodating him, that meant he could gain control of the conversation.

"What are you after?" He asked.

"Did you not hear me speaking about the 'Eternal Night'?" She raised an eyebrow, almost daring Snape to say something stupid.

"You're not an idiot, so you know plants need sunlight to grow. Seeing as ponies are herbivores, their food-source dying out would present...immense complications. Somehow, I doubt you would be content to rule over a massive graveyard."

Nightmare looked mildly surprised. "Clever colt..."

On a roll, Snape continued with, "If the day and night cycle has continued uninterrupted since you've been banished," Nightmare hissed lightly in warning, "that means Celestia can exert some control over both the sun and the moon. Assuming you two are roughly equal in power, it would be easy to say you can control the sun as well."

"And?"

"If you're playing up the Evil Queen act now, the most logical course of action to cement your rule would be to 'suddenly' show mercy and bring the sun out yourself. At that point, releasing Celestia would redeem you in the eyes of the populace while simultaneously proving yourself stronger and kinder than your sister, with the argument that you could have easily left her to rot for a thousand years like she did you...but you're better than that."

"...You are an interesting creature, Severus Snape. Don't move. I'll be right back." And with that, Nightmare dissolved into a wisp of purple smoke and darted off towards the forest.

Snape let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding. Bloody ponies...

Comments ( 62 )

HUZZAH!!!

Snape scowled. I will not curse the unicorn. I will not curse the unicorn.

Brb, getting new lungs.

NEW CHAPTER OH MY GOD YEEEEEEEEEES.

...Ahem.

6127434 Then have some. :rainbowkiss:

Damn. I didn't even KNOW I was still watching this. Good chapter. A bit short, but good set up and dialogue none the less. Looking forward to more.

Popped a huge chub when this updated. Damn glad to move it from Deadfics.

I hyperventalised when I saw this was updated.
Now onwards to read!

wow vlad is still alive, glad too see you back

Since this has finally returned, we must attune it with the most fitting piece of Potter-related memes out there.

Oh cool, I forgot about this one, glad to see it lives again, now it won't be one of the ones removed when I get around to cleaning my followed list.

Eh heh heh. Snape may have just changed the course of history with a single monologue.

That's just how epic he is :rainbowlaugh:

Snape and Twilight's eyes twitched simultaneously, identical thoughts running through their heads. That's NOT how books are organized...

They have something in common. :twilightsmile:

Neither noticed the other's discomfort.

...
Oh well. :ajsleepy:

"The Elements of Harmony are six incredibly powerful magical artefacts

Apparently that book is British

While I am just as glad as the others that this is finally continuing, the fact remains that Snape just improved Nightmare Moon's plan FIVE HUNDRED PERCENT. Nightmare Moon with Mr. Practical giving her advice. That is terrifying. He may very well prevent Nightmare Moon for actually losing.

6128845
While I agree with you, I think the intent here was that, in this universe, that was her plan all along. Snape is merely connecting the dots and using his understanding of how would-be evil overlords think to deduce her whole plan, not (inadvertantly) helping her make it better.

Write on,
Legion

6128845 Or you could look at the glass as half full and say he changed NMM's plan from 'kill everyone' to 'rule everyone'.

Happy subjects are loyal subjects. Far less likely to rise up against the Evil Overlord when the Hero tries to gather allies.

"Come, citizen! We shall topple this tyrranical regime and bring freedom to this land!"

"I hear ya bruh but dat free healthcare"

Completely forgot about this fic and how awesome it was.

6128845 I think it's a combination of both possibilities. It keeps with Snape's modus operandi: give the evil overload just enough help to convince him that you're on his side--or at the very least, think you're useful enough not to kill immediately. Snape's trying to get enough control over the situation that he'll be able to influence events to his benefit:

"The mind has always been my domain, Severus Snape. You'd do well to remember that." She slowly walked a half-circle around him, until she could see his face. Snape gave an internal smirk at that. If she was accommodating him, that meant he could gain control of the conversation.

I think Nightmare Moon's doing the same thing, by the way. My theory on this will probably be jossed at some point in the story, but I don't think she's tried to read his mind at all yet. It's possible that she did it in such a way that he wouldn't have noticed, but from what we saw in the show, she seems to prefer eavesdropping to mind reading. She got most of her information by just hanging around in cloud form and listening to what the mane six was saying.

I think she's trying to determine if Snape is a threat or not. She might even be evaluating him as potential ally.

This looks interesting, I'll have to look at it later.

God d*** it, Snape! *smacks him upside the head* Stop giving the woman ideas!

6129031 Yeah, I hate it when stories are literally 95% retelling the premier. I'm hoping this starts veering away from that and won't take 20 chapters to do it. I can see a lot of potential for this.

This actually makes sense. Then again, maybe back in medieval times the justification was 'magic.'
Eh, is good. An update.

This so good and I can't wait for MOAR!!

PS: 999th like was mine.

I am greatly intrigued as to what Snape and Nightmare moons relationship will be in the future...........that is, unless she gets defeated of course, but she seems way to smart and cunning for that in this fic.

YOU'RE ALIIIIIIIVE!!!!!! Thank you

This is gonna be good :)

Snape! Of all people, I never even considered...

Oh, please do not waste this. There is so much potential here. :rainbowlaugh:

*begins reading*

Snape cries on the inside, Twilight

Someone write a TVTropes page already!

Holy shit it lives, and it's still amazing!

Dear Vlad.

V-Vlad? Is it you....is it really really you?! By Celestias third teat, I thought you were gone forever, sucked into the aether where you were busy fighting mutant space chinchillas whilst dining on the flesh of wolf potatoes. But low and behold, here you stand, back from your adventures and with you, a chapter for the only Harry Potter crossovers I bother to read. Huzzah!

Anywhozer, totally not insane rants aside. Good to have ya back amigo.

Sincerely Yours, The Cake Devil.

I spent a full minute staring at this fic in my updated section... :pinkiesad2:

Me when I saw this on my tracking list:
mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Friends1.gif
Needless to say I need a new rug.

6128907 And that is why I LOVE being the Villain With Good Publicity. Everyone knows I'm the Final Boss, the Biggest Bad, but my thralls all agree that I make things better for them so they allow me to be Obviously Evil.

ITS ALIVE!!! BY THE GODS ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

[youtube=TO5wryDdEI0]

Hey, you come back! I'm so glad I didn't unfavor your work. The other Snape crossover become kinda not-my-type story, so I hope you can give me nicer one.
Until now, it is:pinkiehappy:

Ohei, it's back! And as awesome as ever. Snape used logic, it was super effective! Let's see how efficiently you'll be able to alter the course of history this way!

6136016 Oh my god I knew someone would do that. I was debating whether or not to use that one, but it wasn't as sweet and short.

This is very good. I like this Nightmare Moon way more than basically all the others with her clever scheming. I love Snape in this. He's like the straight man to the goofy character but he's the straightest man and the goofy character is everyone around him.

6136016 Do you think I could've resisted that joke with all that Jurassic World hype going on?

Of course not, I am weak.

Gab! I love your Snake so much. I just can't stop laughing when I read your work. Keep it up!

6128809 Well, the Harry Potter series is :moustache:

Hmm it seems nightmare moon is the only pony snape "enjoys" for the most part that's odd.

Today on the 14th of January 2016, Alan Rickman has passed away from cancer. May he rest in peace, and let us fondly remember his wonderful performance as Severus Snape in the Harry Potter movies, as well as all the other roles he has played throughout his life. He will be missed.
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3d/81/35/3d813537cddc13f8f4aea6f3d4662f63.jpg

6356429
That, or he's keeping her from hurting the six ponies who just ran into the Everfree Forest by telling her how to gain her subject's favor...

Is this gonna continue?

Login or register to comment