• Published 11th Sep 2014
  • 9,523 Views, 587 Comments

Always - Vlad



When Severus Snape died, he did so with many regrets. And we all know that death can do...funny things to those with unfinished business. And, stuck in a bright, garish world surrounded by creatures more infantile than any first-year, now so does he.

  • ...
44
 587
 9,523

Chapter Six

Snape couldn't sleep. Unwilling to cast a silencing charm for fear of being snuck up on, he was left trying to ignore the deep, thudding bass and dull roar of the party below. Three hours...They've been at it for three hours. Snape turned onto his side, his face a mask of pure loathing. It must be nearing morning now. Groaning, he sat up and stood up from the bed. With a wave of his wand (he always slept with it under his pillow) his clothes slithered over the floor and slipped onto his body. Fully clothed, the professor opened the door and descended down the stairs into the throng of still-noisy ponies.

As soon as he set foot onto the floor, a dreadful silence swept over the crowd. Snape looked out over the perfectly silent, still ponies, even the DJ silencing her speakers. Raising an eyebrow, Snape's lip curled in annoyance. "So now that I'm awake, you decide to shut up." Pushing through the crowd, he slipped through the door into the night.

Severus had been walking through the empty streets for nearly an hour, the warm night air and silence soothing to his senses. He furrowed his eyebrows, dark eyes glaring out at nothing in the relative darkness. In the silent, secluded atmosphere, he allowed himself to express himself. "Stupid, inconsiderate, infantile creatures..."

"Indeed...but they are still my ponies." Snape halted his angry strides, schooling his expression. Quickly turning around, robes twisting and fluttering about him, he glared at the tall, midnight-black equine standing before him. "They can be taught, if the teacher is willing to be firm."

Severus raised an eyebrow, crossing his arms under his robes. "And you are?" He noticed the ethereal, smoky mane and the lance-like ebony horn, in addition to the masive owl-wings jutting out of her sides. A moon and stars theme...This must be the princess I've heard so much about. "Princess Celestia, I presume?"

Snape's already severe expression soured further when the dark...winged...unicorn openly laughed at him, the powerful, deep yet undeniably effeminate voice cackling madly. "Ahahahahahahaaaa!!! Clearly, you are not from around here." The tall equine stifled her remaining laughter behind an armored hoof.

"Is it that obvious?" Snape delivered, his monotonous voice dripping with venom. "So enlighten me. Who are you?"

"I," She began, spreading her wings wide, "am the sole entitled ruler of this fine land. Back from an unjust banishment of one-thousand years by my own sister," At this her slitted eyes narrowed dangerously, her sharpened teeth grinding. "Princess Nightmare Moon!"

Snape raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. "Then you must be the one Sparkle was talking about."

"Who?" The princess blinked, frowning in confusion.

Snape rolled his eyes. "No one important. She said 'the greatest evil Equestria had ever seen' would be returning." Snape gripped his wand beneath his robes, outwardly relaxed but searching for any weaknesses or signs of aggression.

Nightmare Moon rolled her eyes. "That sounds like something my sister would use to poison the minds of my little ponies...A bit dramatic, don't you think?"

Snape snorted, still starkly remembering the princess' introduction. "Well...thank God you're above that."

Nightmare Moon glared sharply at Severus, before her head swiveled towards the Town Hall. A smirk spread onto her face, her exposed fangs unnerving Snape slightly. "It appears it's time to make my entrance..." Snape took a step back and ripped his wand free when the princess exploded into a purple fog, shooting into the air and arcing towards the building.

Is it too much to ask to NOT to involve myself with these kinds of people? Snape sighed, drawing his palm down his face. He turned towards the Town Hall and began quickly walking after the princess, not at all eager to get involved.
----------

Twilight gulped, ears plastered against her skull, watching the spiraling purple mist coalesce into a black alicorn. Nightmare Moon stood, staring down at the crowd of ponies with a confident smile. "Oh, my beloved subjects...It's been so long since I've seen your precious little sun-loving faces!"

"Give us back the princess!" Rainbow Dash shouted, flying up to meet Nightmare Moon eye-to-eye. In return, the princess only chuckled.

"What, am I no longer royal enough for you? Does my crown no longer count now that I've been imprisoned for a thousand years?!"

"Seize her!" Mayor Mare ordered, hoof pointing to the fuming princess, "only she knows where the princess is!"

Nightmare Moon's eye caught the three pegasi guards attempting to rush her, causing her face to twist into a snarl. "Get back, you foals!" With a brilliant white glow of her eyes, dark clouds materialized in the room and shot bolts of lightning at the guards, causing them to seize up and drop out of the sky with simultaneous shrieks of pain. "Honestly, I'm surprised...this is the second time tonight I've not been given a proper welcome. Do none of you even know who I am?" Her sharp glare scanned the crowd, most of whom were trying to duck down out of sight.

"I do." Twilight stepped forward, trying and failing to fake confidence. "You're the Mare in the Moon...Nightmare Moon." Her voice wavered at the end, betraying just how terrified she was. In response, Nightmare Moon gave a small, dangerous smile.

"Ah, somepony who remembers me...then you remember why I'm here, correct?"

Twilight gulped. "You're here to...to..." She shut her eyes and lowered her head, unable to force the last words out.

Nightmare Moon chuckled, "remember this day, my little ponies, for it was your last! From this day forward, the night...shall last...forever!" Her ethereal mane and tail flared, swirling around the ceiling in massive coils and storm-clouds as she cackled.

Twilight slipped through the crowd, keeping low. Once she was at the door, she bolted out towards her library, missing Nightmare Moon making her way over the Everfree Forest. Rainbow gave chase to the princess, but the wispy trail of purple was long gone before she even got in the air.

Twilight galloped hard as she could through the night, the pitch darkness blinding her. So it was an honest mistake when she ran headfirst into a wall of blackness, sending herself and the obstacle tumbling to the ground. Twilight gave an indignant squawk at the unexpected interference, while Snape only grunted in discomfort and irritation. Twilight shook her head free of cobwebs before glaring down at an equally annoyed Snape, his eyebrows furrowed and lips curled into an aggravated sneer. "Nightmare Moon refrained from attempting to trample me, I would appreciate it if you extended the same courtesy."

Hopping off Severus with a startled whinny, Twilight turned to glare daggers at him. "Wait...you saw her and you didn't DO anything?!"

Snape stood, dusting off his robes. "I'm not in the habit of taking unnecessary risks. However I did gather some interesting information."

Turning to continue galloping down the road, she called out, "tell me when we get to the library, come on!"

Snape sighed and made to follow at a more sedate pace. I'm getting too old for this...