• Published 4th Sep 2014
  • 1,700 Views, 13 Comments

Meanwhile... - WatchMeShadow



Three friends discover an old secret that eventually will change everything for ponies. Unfortunately, these three will have more to deal with than just that.

  • ...
18
 13
 1,700

In The Distant Past (Optional)

Author's Note:

So this is an optional chapter. I only have it to set up a character that will directly play an important role in the story, but will not exist in the story. I'm sure there's a word for this kind of character but it doesn't come to mind.

In a tall dense forest with creepy trees there lay an opening. It was a little after noon and the sun was bearing down on the trees making the forest unpleasantly warm and humid. Not many creatures were out and about at this time of day preferring to rest in cooler places, making it eerily quiet.


With a pop and a flash of light three ponies appear in the gap. One was a male Pegasus in black armor and helmet trimmed with gold he had a grey coat, a sunny yellow mane and tail and light blue eyes that looked ready to strike at any moment kind of like lightning. He was holding a sword's hilt in his mouth when he said, "Hat ose wose." (“That was close”).


Another was a male earth pony with a ridiculous helmet for the current situation: A flat straw weave hat with a large bowl of chocolate pudding on top. He had a shiny brown coat, a dark brown mane, and brown eyes.He looked at the sword carrying Pegasus and said, "Well at least I could have survived that, though not what would have came after."


No sooner after he said that, a distant explosion shook the earth beneath their hooves.


The Pegasus gave his attention to the earth pony and opened his mouth as if to respond but the third pony a female unicorn with a purple coat, white mane and tail, dark green eyes, and wearing a tattered fancy white and purple cloak interrupted, "We need to think of a way to beat her, and now. I don't have it in me to teleport another whole village to safety."


"But Platinum you didn't teleport an entire village to safety you only teleported the villagers," responded the Earth pony.


"oi ink oi oww ow oo opp er, ut ou ont ik it," the Pegasus said before Platinum could respond.

Platinum gave out an exaggerated sigh and said, “For the love of everything please talk without your sword in your mouth Hurricane."

Hurricane looked at Platinum blankly then sheathed his sword across his back. "Sorry, I do think I know how to stop her, but you're not gonna like it. Also I could have survived that if I had time to react Puddinghead," Hurricane said with a neutral tone.

"Anyways what's your idea another surprise attack but with a bigger attack?" Puddinghead said somewhat serious.

“Yes to both of those, but again you’re not going to like this plan…” Hurricane responded.

… … … …

“WHAT!?” Platinum and Puddinghead yelled at the same time.

“You have to be out of your mind! If we do that how can we possibly survive in this new land? Then again, if we don’t do something she will completely wipe us out,” Puddinghead continued while appearing to be in thought.

Platinum huffed, “Well Hurricane, you're right. I do not 'like' this plan of yours, but I see no other option. It's this or face extinction, though I can't help but feel we have somehow failed in resorting to this.”

“Alright Platinum you've convinced me, I also can’t think of any other way to kill her. We just have to be extra careful in how we go about doing it,” Puddinghead said while rubbing the back of his neck with a hoof.

Platinum brought up a major flaw that all present shuddered at. The possibility of another famine because of an irregular sun cycle was not something they wanted to live through again. Hurricane and Platinum then began to talk more in detail about the plan.

While Hurricane and Platinum were talking Puddinghead began to think ahead of time and how they were going to have an incredible powerful weapon that could easily fall into the wrong hooves. "Here is a good spot yes here is good," said Puddinghead while looking around him.

"What do you mean?" asked Platinum.

“After this is done we will need to hide the weapon. Some pony evil with evil intentions could take it and then they would do their evil deeds with nopony to stop them. fifteen feet directly under us is a good spot to hide it after we’ve killed her. We also must make sure nopony knows we ever did this,” Puddinghead answered.

"Yes... and our subjects would probably execute us if they learned we had to resort to this to beat her." Said Platinum in a conspiratorial manner.

"Ok Hurricane make us a hole and decent sized cave about fifteen feet below the surface,” Said Puddinghead.

Hurricane looked at Puddinghead with a blank face and then shot up into the air but still well below the tree line and dived headfirst into the ground. The ground exploded outward and dirt flew all over the area where Hurricane went through the ground. Puddinghead and Platinum were already backing out of the radius of the dirt debris when Hurricane was giving them the blank look having seen him tunnel through the ground enough times. After about sixteen seconds Hurricane came out of the hole he just made landed next to them "Okay it's done."

Puddinghead jumped in the hole. Just before he reached the bottom he threw three big green seeds below him, small dark blue seeds around them in a circle, and then he threw three golden seeds in the middle of them. Puddinghead landed on all four hooves but quickly got on his hind legs and pounded his front hooves on the ground. Vines exploded from the green seeds, rushing past the blue seeds which then sprouted into glowing flowers that lit up the area. The vines consumed all of the dirt around the cave and replaced it with lush green leaves and bark. Paying little mind to this Puddinghead focused on the three golden seeds he threw down for they were his most important task at the moment.

While Platinum watched Puddinghead jump in, she began to think of a weapon they could use to bestow their collective races powers on. She immediately thought of the sword on Hurricane’s back. ‘A large broadsword that easily weighs forty pounds. However; do to pegasi magic it weighs next to nothing to most pegasi.’ Platinum shook her head ‘What was it I was thinking about? Oh yeah We could use the gem on the hilt of his sword it is a very very nice gem after all.’ She cleared her throat and asked “Commander Hurricane would it be ok if we use the gem on the hilt of your weapon to bestow the power to?”

Hurricane looked back at his sword blankly for a second then smiled with a child like face that was kind of creepy for a pretty much always serious pony. “You mean I get to say I owned the worlds strongest weapon ever created?” he asked hopefully.

“No” Platinum replied flatly as Hurricane frowned and went back to his neutral stare. “If you do that ponies will know it exists and that’s exactly what we don’t want them to find out, think of the scandal and the outrage, not to mention the possibility nefarious pony’s getting their hooves on it... it’d be a nightmare.” Platinum said in a I’m annoyed lecture way.

“Got it.” replied Hurricane, “how will we convince our subjects we lost the life force and magic they bestowed upon us?” Hurricane asked while looking at Platinum. Hurricane asked while looking at Platinum.

“Bah if we can’t think of anything better then she hexed us which then hexed every pony as a result of us being in possession of every ponies power right before we killed her, then we will use that excuse, anyways lets go see what Puddinghead has done down there.” She said looking at Hurricane expectantly.

Hurricane stared back.

“If you want me to teleport us out of that hole you will fly me down there I need to conserve as much energy as I can if you want me to be a good distraction during our surprise attack...” Platinum said finally.

“You know...” Hurricane said before being interrupted by Platinum.

“Yes I know, and no I’m not going to stop being a princess to become a hardened military dog, I may be excellent in battle strategy’s but it is a brutish profession that I only know of intimately because of necessity not because I like it.” Platinum responded quickly. “Now lets get down there time is wasting.”

Puddinghead heard them on their way down but didn’t pay attention he was focused on his task with the golden seeds. It took a dozen earth ponies to make one of them after a year of much dedication to a plant that seems to want to die in any environment after a month. Not many earth ponies would volunteer their time into making them even if they got paid a nice sum for the work if it made it the whole year. Somepony could mess up and on the last month and the others will have wasted their time.

At any rate Puddinghead was using these last three he had to make a magic suppressing aura plant which will stop most magic from leaking out or being spotted by outside searching spells. A undetectable plant that will detect anything around the cave and send a signal provided certain requirements are met to the final seed. It’s undetectable because it’ll flawlessly mimic the ambient immediately around it and beyond. The final seed will be a near indestructible trap door disguised as plain ground that will only open and close if it gets a signal from the previous seed along with a soft lily pad elevator to the top and bottom that will go up on request and down as soon as nothing is on it. Now he just needed to think of who he should allow in here.

“Woah you’re pulling out all the stops on this, using those of all things?” Platinum said as she got off Hurricanes back while looking at the three golden seeds.

“Ok so I have a magic suppressor aura plant, an undetectable detection plant, and a near indestructible trap door plant with a lily pad elevator, I currently have it enchanted to allow only the three of us in once and that’s after we kill her. So I need to know who should we allow in here once the weapon leaks enough of its power?” Puddinghead asked quickly.

Hurricane looked at Platinum and said “Sounds like you won’t need to teleport us out.”

Ignoring Hurricane Platinum looked at Puddinghead and tried not to laugh as she said, “well can you put a time on it? Because I think it’s going to take at least a thousand and a half years of magic decay before it can no longer be claimed as the worlds strongest weapon,” as she briefed a smirk at Hurricane.

Hurricane remained neutral. As Puddinghead responded “Actually yes I can do that though that is a long time I’ll have to use power from the weapon to power my enchanted plants, but that still leaves us with who we can allow in here once those years are up.”

“We should only allow three colts, filly’s or a combination thereof into here because if you think about it they’re less likely to be evil.” Hurricane said objectively.

“Hmm, yes and if there’s a filly or colt of each tribe all the more likely they won’t have evil intentions.” Puddinghead said agreeing with Hurricane. “Ok I’m going to do that. One more time; when she’s dead, a thousand and a half years of no entry, and three fillies or colts or a combination thereof of all three races and~ done.” Puddinghead said as he brought up his front hooves and down again. When he did a small pink translucent bulb plant came out of the followed by a green translucent bulb plant and then a giant lily pad appeared before them and unseen by them the trap door was slowly being made at the entrance of the cave. “Ok we have an ambush to plan” Puddinghead said as they got on the giant lily pad.

End Chapter 2