• Published 12th Apr 2012
  • 3,197 Views, 17 Comments

A Brother's Duty - WorldSmith



Shining Armor learns what it means to be a big brother

  • ...
0
 17
 3,197

A Brother's Duty

A Brother’s Duty
By World Smith

Shining Armor absentmindedly skimmed through an expired foal’s magazine while his father began to wear a rut in the hospital floor. The young colt looked up to watch his father’s pacing for a time before speaking up.

“Dad why are you so worried?”

“Worried? I’m not worried. Why would you say I’m worried?” Night Light gave a look Shining assumed was supposed to be a comforting smile but looked more like a wild eyed grimace. Shining stared blanking at his father until the dark blue stallion sighed and stepped out of the inch deep groove he wore in the floor to sit next to his young son in an uncomfortable chair.

“I guess I’m just nervous about being a Father again.”

“But why are you worried? You’re the best Dad ever!” Shining spoke with the enthusiastic belief that only a child can have that nopony could outshine his father.

Night Light smiled, “well then I guess I’m getting worked up over nothing again aren’t I?” Shining nodded and his father put a hoof around him in a hug, “thanks kiddo.”

Shining returned to listlessly flipping through the magazine. Night Light looked at his son for a moment a worried frown on his face. “Something the matter son?”

Where his father became frazzled and made a fuss when stressed, Shining took after his mother and just grew quieter until somepony got him to admit something had him worried. Shining put the magazine away and nervously plucked at a loose thread in his chair with a hoof, “I just don’t know what to do about being a big brother,” he mumbled.

Night Light smiled at the young unicorn and hugged him again, “Shining you are going to be a wonderful big brother, it’ll come naturally.”

Just then a motherly looking earthpony in a nurse’s uniform came into the waiting room. She smiled warmly at Shining before turning to his father, “your wife has just delivered a healthy baby filly,” she beamed, “if you’ll follow me you can come and see them.”

Night Light followed the nurse, his nervous energy prompting her to go at a quick pace that Shining had a small difficulty keeping up with his shorter legs. The nurse led them down a hallway and into a room where Shining’s mother lay looking exhausted but happy as she cooed at the small bundle wrapped in a pink cloth she cradled in her hooves. Night Light instantly rushed to his wife’s side where he immediately melted upon looking at the little bundle. Shining lurked nervously near the door, Twilight Velvet noticed her son and beckoned him over with a look of motherly love and understanding.

“Would you like to meet your new sister?” she whispered so as not to wake the new arrival.

Shining nodded silently and crept up to the bed, he propped his forelimbs on the bed so he could get a better look. Wrapped in a pink blanket and his mother’s hooves was a tiny lavender unicorn with a dark tuft of mane with a bright pink stripe, Shining stared at the newborn filly with a look of awe.

“What’s her name?” He asked in a hushed whisper.

Twilight Velvet smiled, “say hello to Twilight Sparkle.”

“She has the same name as you and Grandma Twilight?”

Twilight Velvet nodded.

“Hi Twilight,” Shining whispered, lightly touching his sister, “I’m Shining Armor, I’m your big brother and I’m going to teach you things and protect you because that’s what big brothers do.”

Shining’s mother and father watched the tender scene with damp eyes that widened with surprise when they noticed a subtle flash of white light on their son’s flank. When the light faded Shining Armor’s flank was adorned with a purple shield marked with a pink six-pointed star resting under three blue stars. The mark of a protector and a dedicated big brother. Happy tears flowing freely Night Light gently tapped his son on his shoulder to point out his newly acquired cutie mark.

Beaming Shining turned from his cutie mark to his sister, “See you got me my cutie mark! We’re going to be the best brother and sister ever!”

+++

“And that my little ponies,” Shining finished with a flourish, “is how I got my cutie mark.”

Shining looked to his audience to see their reaction, two of the flower girls (Applebloom and Sweetie Bell he thought they were named) were hugging each other as they made an ‘awe’ sound. The third (Scootaloo he believed) had a look of mild disgust.

“How can such an awesome cutie mark have such a namby pamby story?” the little pegasus asked.

“OK girls,” Twilight spoke up trying not to laugh at Scootaloo’s reaction to her brother’s story, “It’s almost time so go and get ready!”

“OK Miss Twilight!” Applebloom answered as she and the other fillies darted out the door.

“Namby pamby?” Shining muttered under his breath before suddenly getting hugged by his sister. “What’s this for all of a sudden?”

“Just ... thanks for being the best big brother ever Shiny,” Twilight answered looking at her brother with damp eyes.

Shining’s own eyes began to water a little, “well thanks for being the best little sister Sparky,” he replied hugging her tightly.

“Well!” Twilight said breaking the hug and wiping her eyes smiling, “it’s about time for you to be married, you ready?”

Shining grinned nervously as the butterflies in his stomach tickled him, “I ... I think so...”

“Well let’s get you married then!” Twilight ushered her brother out of the room towards the chapel.

Author’s Note

Once again thank you for taking the time to read my fic! This is only my second fic and it hasn’t been pre-read since it was just a little short thing I wanted to get out before Saturday. So please point out every single mistake you can find! If you think you’re nit picking you’re not. It’s the only way I can get better.

Comments ( 17 )

That was good...please continue!

I just see some capitalization errors, nothing else.
Great story, I hope to see more :D

Great story I like the way you portrayed Shining Armor

d'aww...a short, sweet one off that earned a fave and a thumbs up.

Good lord at this rate the pharmaceutical companies are gonna own my soul at the rate I'm having to use up my insulin :ajsleepy:..........But this has got to be one of the most dawwww worthy stories I have had the pleasure of reading. Keep up the good work, hope to see more from you, and you have more than earned the watch and favorite:pinkiehappy:

"Night light gave a look Shining assumed was supposed to be a comforting smile..."

This was the only mistake I noticed. Awesome story!

Author’s Note

Once again thank you for taking the time to read my fic! This is only my second fic and it hasn’t been pre-read since it was just a little short thing I wanted to get out before Saturday. So please point out every single mistake you can find! If you think you’re nit picking you’re not. It’s the only way I can get better.

Well that was a pretty silly rush then, it doesn't air for another 9 days! :pinkiehappy:

444470 Wow I feel dumb then, I haven't paid any attention to the air date I just assumed it was this weekend. :derpytongue2: Well whats done is done and everyone seems to think its ok anyway so it's all good :twilightsmile:

Also fixed capitalization errors in Night Light's name.

HOLY CRAP I HAVNT WATCHED THE NEW EPISODE YET BYE!!!

No wonder there's no dislikes. :twilightsmile:

445530 Awe that's so sweet thank you! :pinkiesmile:

What is this emotion I feel?

Sparky>Twili

Well done.

One of the greatest things about family

Login or register to comment