• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,610 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,610

PreviousChapters Next
Episode Seven:Choices

Spike blinked, and then blinked again.

"Why would you want anything that psycho bitch wrote?!" Vinyl growled

"Because she has notes on Mareks Disease and a Beta cure!" Twilight argued.

"Mareks Disease? The one that took Rainbows father?" Spike asked. Twilight nodded, no longer surprised by Spikes knowledge. She was sure he knew everything about all of them at this point. Who knew how many spies he had? or who they were? The thought sent a shiver down her spine. But that wasn't what was important right now.

"That little girl, Scootaloo, she has it." Twilight choked out. Vinyl stammered and turned to Spike.

"You can't seriously be considering this."

"I know Twilight. She could take necromancy and save lives rather than raise the dead. I'm sure she can take those notes and find a better cure."

"Thanks for believing in me Spike..." Twilight smiled. Spike grinned, writing a quick letter to Celestia, swallowing it within his flames. Moments later he belched out a letter and a stack of papers.

"Ugh...theres gotta be a better way of doing that." he groaned.

Dearest Twilight

I must say, I was quite shocked when I saw what it was you were asking for, but I can understand your reasons. I only ask that you keep me updated on your research into this matter and that no harm comes to the girl. Take care and do not lose yourself Twilight.

"Lose myself? What does she mean?" Twilight asked.

"Eh, probably just worrying about you going science crazy like you did with that potato battery."

"It worked!" Twilight argued.

"You used it to power a machine that wrote books and nearly set the castle on fire." Spike deadpanned.

"You powered a death machine with a potato?" Vinyl asked.

"Where did you think we got the tech for BassOne?" Spike asked. Vinyl shrugged.

"Well, Ima hit the rounds and check on goons three and four. Stay sharp Spike." Vinyl winked, vanishing in a flash of light.

"Whats it like Spike? Your life beyond...babysitting me?" Twilight asked.

"Twilight, I don't babysit you. I get pampered around you. You feed me jewels, you read to me, you treat me like your son. And I love it. Life outside that? It sucks Twi'." Spike admitted, hefting the bundle of papers.

"Now c'mon, we got research to do!" he chuckled. Twilight smiled, following him inside. Scootaloo was passed out, held in Rainbows arms, the Skyborn resting her cheek against the girls head.

"Rainbow, I need to talk to you." Twilight said softly. Spike grunted as he set the stack of papers down. Rainbow didn't answer. Twilight sighed and sat in front of her.

"Rainbow. I'm going to cure her." Twilight said. That got her attention. She still held the girl tightly, but her eyes were focused on the Magian.

"I got access to your mothers notes...And I'm going to rework her spell. Celestia gave me some rules though. I'm not allowed to go crazy and I'm not allowed to cause her any pain." Twilight smiled. Rainbow felt her eyes water and sniffed to hold them back.

"T-thats awesome Twi'. D-Do you think you can really do it?" Rainbow whispered. Twilight looked down at the sleeping Skyborn.

"I have to. No one deserves this. Just hearing what it was like for you...if I can stop it for her...then I'll do everything in my power to save her." Twilight promised.

"Gods this is some awful stuff..." Spike mumbled, reading through a few pages.

"Hey Twilight, ya'll got somewhere we can put th' lil ones?" Applejack whispered, running her fingers through Appleblooms hair. Twilight nodded, leading them to the junior section of the library. In the corner was a nap area for younger readers.

"This should work just fine." Twilight said softly. Rarity and Applejack smiled, tucking in Sweetie Belle and Applebloom. Rainbow kept her hold on Scootaloo, fearing the girl would fade away if she let go.

"Rainbow..."

"I lost my dad...my mom...my life. This kid...she's goin' down that same road. I can't...I just can't..." Rainbow choked.

"Rainbow!" Twilight stomped her foot.

"I've got this." Twilight smiled. Rainbow nodded slowly, hesitantly standing and taking Scootaloo to sleep with the others.

"Sleep tight kid...we're gonna fix up everything for ya." Rainbow said softly. A smile lit up the young Skyborns face as she nuzzled into her pillow. Rainbow sighed, standing beside Twilight as the Magian tore through paper after paper.

"Are you actually reading?"

"Rainbow, Twilight reads an average of 475 words a minute." Spike said in passing

"And nothing snaps her out of the study zone." he chuckled, demonstrating by tickling her side with a quill, only to have her magic lift him away while she continued to read through the notes. Rainbow smiled slightly and plopped down on the couch next to Rarity and Applejack.

"So...yer a vampire..." Applejack mumbled around a bit of straw.

"Well, not like you're thinking, but yes. I receive a generous donation from a blood bank in Celamont to keep me healthy and from causing anyone undue harm."

"So thats why ya'll wouldn't share yer wine." Applejack grinned, causing the fasionista to blush.

"Whats it like?" Rainbow asked, trying to get her mind off of Scootaloo.

"What do you mean?"

"Bein' a vampire, drinking blood, swinging that big freakin' sword like its a foam bat." Rainbow listed off.

"Its difficult to explain really. Its just who I am. The same way that flying is who you are, or that farming is what Applejack is. I guess thats a bad way of putting it...This isn't going to be weird is it?"

"You were already weird Rares, this just tops on a bit of cool to the weird." Rainbow chuckled.

"Um...Rainbow, I have something I need to ask..." Twilight gulped, staring at a chart.

"Yea?"

"C-Can I see one of your feathers?" She asked hesitantly. Rainbow paused for a moment before standing and spreading out her wings. Twilight hadn't expected such an immediate response.

"I'll need one from Scootaloo too...to compare..." she admitted. Rainbow froze.

"Is there a way to get one without hurting her?" Twilight asked. Rainbow thought it over for a moment and nodded.

"Yea, but you have to wait here." Rainbow said, marching to the Junior section. She knelt down next to the sleeping form of Scootaloo, drawing her finger over the marking on her back, watching her tiny wings appear. She ran her fingers lightly over them, searching for a loose feather and gave it a quick yank.

Scootaloo mumbled in her sleep and rolled over as if nothing had happened. Rainbow sighed in relief, silently thanking Fluttershy under her breath. As her friend filled her thoughts she came to a realization. Where was Fluttershy?


His boots clicked loudly upon the steps that led to his throne. He calmly made his way down towards his most trusted spy, smiling as he passed by her and grabbed a small wine glass. A snap of his fingers later, it was full of chocolate milk.

"Is that everything?" he asked her as he swirled his drink about.

"Yes. Every last detail." she spoke softly, head down and sitting on one knee.

"Good. Keep an eye on things for me and if anything...interesting happens. Let me know. I'm counting on you my dear." he chuckled.

"You...You won't hurt them...will you?" she asked out of nowhere. The question caught him off guard, but he was quick to recover.

"Of course my dear. A promise is a promise. You keep me posted and they keep breathing. That was our deal and though I am somewhat of a bastard I am not a liar. You know that."

"I-I know. I just..." she bit her lip, hiding behind her hair.

"Ahh, I see. Its him isn't it? That Dragonkin that has been training them. He's dug his pretty little claws into that heart of yours hasn't he?" he taunted.

"Its not like that!" she argued, the force of her shout causing him to take a step back and reminding him just what this girl was. It made him so proud.

"Theres no reason to get all fussy about it. I think he is a good match for you. In fact...I think you should follow your heart on this. Consider it a part of your mission, a way to learn more about him."

"I...really? I-Its okay?"

"Of course its okay!" Discord chuckled to himself, watching his daughter leave in a snap of her fingers. All was going according to plan, better in fact. Already the Elements of Honesty, Loyalty, and Generosity were ripe for the picking.

"Three down, three to go." he smirked. He sighed to himself as he swirled his drink about in its glass, shifting his gaze to his other minions, heads bowed and awaiting orders. It was too easy, but he did have an unfair advantage, so complaining wasn't allowed. He stopped in front of his first puppet, smiling down at her.

"You, go to Eravil, show them true magic, and see if you can take down the librarian."

"Of course! None can compare to the awesome might of the Great and Powerful Trixie! E-Except you of course!" she stammered, vanishing in a flourish of her cape.

"D'ya really think that airhead is gonna be anywhere close to her level?" his other minion asked.

"I highly doubt it. But it will make things a bit more entertaining, don't you agree?" he asked, sipping his drink.

"Yea yea. When do I get to have some fun?" she demanded.

"Soon my eager friend, soon."


"I don't like it, its too quiet." Vinyl sighed.

"Its Eravil, its a quiet place." an armored guard answered, her bright flame yellow wings keeping her at a brisk hover. Vinyl leaned against the rooftop she stood on and shook her head.

"Not lately. He's gotta be watching this place somehow. But how? Its shrouded in Harmonic Energy. Scrying would be impossible without a conduit." Vinyl mumbled.

"I see something, coming out of the woods. Its got a heavy dose of chaos clinging to it." a third guard called out, peering through a sniper rifle. Vinyl's eyes glowed for a moment, enhancing her vision as she stared out across the town. Fluttershy stumbled out of the woods, brushing leaves and twigs out of her hair, several animals surrounding her and helping her.

"Stand down, its just Fluttershy. She takes trips into Everfree to tend to sick animals all the time. She's bound to be cloaked in the stuff." Vinyl reasoned. The guard hesitated before obeying

"You have to admit its a bit strange. I don't remember seeing her at the party, or even outside the library during your duel." the Skyborn guard pointed out.

"Keep tags on her, you know her better than I do." Vinyl ordered. The Skyborn nodded, her armor fading as she took off for a darkened cloud, a rifle strapped to her back. She took her position, keeping her scope focused on Fluttershy, watching her march into town with her animal friends.

"C'mon Fluttershy, please let this all be a misunderstanding." Spitfire begged under her breath.


Twilight held pens, papers, machines and test tubes in her magic, all of it flying about her lab as she examined the two feathers, a book on Avaros wing growth hovering beside her for reference. She needed a base line between the feathers, matching up everything with Nightgales' notes, she began to form a pattern.

"According to these notes, normal application of magical restoration leads to an enhanced decay rate, causing the opposite effect in an infected Avaros. But fueling the wings with mana from the air in the same manner a Magian calls to it reverses the adverse effects and strengthens the afflicted wings tenfold." Twilight mumbled.

"And in English?" Rainbow asked.

"Trying to heal her wings normally will make them break down faster. But doing what your mother did...it turns tiny wings into massive ones by using mana in the air to breath life into them." Twilight explained, putting a hand to her chin.

"But the process is broken, flawed, and inhumane." she sighed, pondering her own notes.

"There has to be a way to apply the same effect in a more humane manner without causing pain or death to either the Magian or Avaros in the equation." Twilight began to pace back and forth, her supplies following in her wake and mixing several concoctions.

Rainbow hovered above a cushion, her wings giving a light flap every now and then. She was always more comfortable when she was off the ground. Twilight didn't seem to mind, even though a sudden gust might blow away some of her papers. Twilight took hold of her beakers, glaring at the contents with a sigh.

"I'm missing something. Something important, a missing link."

"The Avaros-Magian theory." Pinkie said from a nearby corner, causing them both to jump.

"Huh?"

"The Avaros-Magian theory, a guidebook on magical links between races." Pinkie read, holding the book up in the air.

"Where did you find that?!" Twilight gasped as she grabbed the book.

"In the reference section!" Pinkie giggled with a snort. The Gaian showed herself out, giving a wink to Rainbow Dash behind Twilights back and mouthing something to her. Rainbow stared for a moment, unsure of what it all meant. Pinkie was hard to understand sometimes...scratch that, she never understood Pinkie, no one did.

"A link exists between the three races, as can easily be seen within the Celestians, a bond of Magic, Strength, and Speed, a perfect balance. All the three races lack is that link that makes a Celestian what they are." Twilight read aloud. She glanced over at Rainbow and then back at the book.

"How did I not see it before?!" she gasped.

"What?" Rainbow asked, watching Twilight fumble around the room, her paper ablaze with notes as she continued to read.

"I-Its unthinkable, but at the same time so obvious. Your mother stumbled upon the secret of the Celestians. Rainbow, you're the link in the chain!" Twilight cheered.

"I am? What the hecks that mean?" Rainbow demanded. She gulped as Twilight pulled out a needle.

"I need a sample of your blood."


The girls jumped as Rainbows scream filled the library from the basement.

"S-Should we check on her?" Rarity spoke up

"Ya'll wanna fight Twi'?" Applejack asked.

"If'n RD ain't fighting back, ah ain't going in there." she finished, flipping through a book on crops. Silence fell back over them, a knock at the front door drawing their attention.

"I got it!" Pinkie bounced to the door, pulling it open.

"Hi Shy!" she giggled, letting their friend in.

"I-Is everything okay?" Fluttershy asked nervously, hiding behind her hair.

"Fine is a strange way of putting it, but yes I would say so." Rarity answered, followed with a yawn.

"We should get some rest. Prolly got a big day ahead o' us tomorrow." Applejack chuckled.

"Quite right Applejack. Shall we meet back here tomorrow?" Rarity asked.

"Its a long walk home, 'sides, th' girls are asleep just over there. Why not jus' stay here?" Applejack pointed out. Rarity glanced over at her sister, seeing her suck her thumb cutely.

"It would be quite a shame to wake them..." she said softly. Pinkie beamed as she pulled a bundle of pillows and blankets out of one of the bookshelves and quickly built a pallet on the floor.

"Slumber party!" she whispered excitedly. Downstairs, Rainbow was rubbing her arm and grumbling under her breath.

"This is incredible..." Twilight breathed as she examined the sample under her microscope.

"Yea, its blood, whoop de freakin doo." Rainbow continued to grumble.

"Rainbow, take a look." Twilight said, stepping away from it. The Skyborn hesitated before peeking into the microscope.

"Okay, theres a bunch of stuff movin. Big deal." she remarked.

"Keep watching, notice what happens when I do this." Twilight tapped her finger lightly against the microscope, feeding a bit of magic into the blood sample. One of the cells instantly died, shriveling up and dissipating into the surrounding cells which began to grow.

"Is that suppose to happen?" Rainbow asked as she stood up.

"The cells are feeding each other. When one is weak it gives itself up to the others to strengthen them. When you use magic it kills off a whole handful of these, but they keep you going by giving what is left of themselves to the rest of your body. Its built a self-defense mechanism beyond anything I've ever seen." Twilight rambled.

"Twilight. I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm a flier not a scientist." Rainbow stopped her. Twilight sighed, putting a hand against her chin.

"Okay, I'll explain it like this. How old do you think Celestia is?" Twilight asked.

"I dunno...5000 years?" Rainbow guessed.

"Okay, good guess. I actually don't know the answer...But thats probably not far off all things considered. Now, why does she look so young?" Twilight continued.

"She's a Celestian, aren't they immortal or somethin?" Rainbow questioned.

"Yes, and No. A Celestian is the combined force of a Magian, a Gaian, and a Skyborn. The magic of the three races is strong in them and its through these combined magics that they live for so long. Their bodies are a wonder of science, constantly refueling itself in an almost endless cycle." Twilight explained. She smiled and held up the blood sample.

"You're blood has entered the first stage of that." Twilight finished.

"Okay...so can you cure the kid or what?" Rainbow wondered, not caring much for the details. Twilight sighed.

"Well, with your blood, your mothers notes, my notes, and a bit of magic...I most likely can..."

"Okay, well lets do it!" Rainbow said, holding out her arm and shutting her eyes to avoid looking at the incoming needle.

"Its not exactly that simple Rainbow." Twilight sighed.

"Why the heck not?!" Rainbow fumed.

"One, your blood might not be compatible with hers. If her body refuses to accept it then we might end up killing her instead of saving her." Twilight began, counting off on her fingers.

"Two, the binding process requires Mana and Lifeforce. I have no idea how much is required to make it a permanent solution." she continued.

"And three, we only get one shot at this. If we mess it up...she'll die...or I will."

"Twi...I..." Rainbow stammered. The Magian only smiled at her. It was a smile Rainbow had seen before, the last smile her father had given her.

"I'll do it." Rainbow said quickly.

"Huh?" Twilight stared, utterly confused.

"The spell thing. I can use magic. You said so yourself, my body does that healing thing. I've got a better chance of surviving this." Rainbow argued.

"True, but you don't know the first thing about advanced spellcasting Rainbow. Sure, you can use magic, but you don't cast spells, you just fling mana through the air with no sense of precision or control!" Twilight argued back.

"Then teach me! I'm not going to lose you or anyone else Twilight!" the two fell silent, Twilight in mid-thought and Rainbow awaiting an answer.

"We'll do it together." Twilight smiled, cracking open a book on advanced spells. Rainbow groaned internally. She hated studying, more than anything in the world. But it would be worth it if she could save the kid.


Applejack was the first awake in the morning. As quietly as she could, she made her way to the kitchen.

"Ah hope Twilight won't mind if ah make some breakfast fer everyone." she murmured under her breath.

"Nah, she'd probably appreciate it." Spike said over a cup of coffee, causing the farmer to shriek and spin around.

"Shoot Spike, warn me next time ya'll decide t' scare me outta my skin!" she hissed under her breath. He only flashed her a monster-toothed grin and went back to his coffee. With a sigh she dug through the kitchen, humming a light tune as she mixed a few ingredients into a bowl.

"Say Spike?"

"hm?"

"Do ya'll think we can win?" she asked softly, still stirring the bowl full of batter.

"Without a doubt Applejack. I'm not gonna lie, it'll be tough, but looking at all of you, how hard you work and how determined you are. The Chaotician will be sorry he ever messed with you guys." he grinned. It slightly eased her nerves to hear that, but still she was worried. It seemed her worry was obvious, as Spike stood and smiled at her.

"Applejack, its gonna be fine. He was here, in this house. He had every chance to take me out, to take down Twilight and Rainbow, and he ran. When he bumps into the six of you, what is he gonna do then?" Spike asked. Applejack couldn't help but chuckle.

"Yer right Spike. ah guess ah'm jus' worried somethin'll go wrong."

"Thats what we're here for. To make sure things go right." he winked, relaxing back into his seat. With her mind currently at ease, Applejack set about making her famous Apple Cinnamon pancakes. The smell was enough to drag three young girls from their slumber, all three following the scent into the kitchen.

"Oh my gosh! Yer makin pancakes!?" Applebloom cheered.

"Well, its my first day bein a real mother t' ya an ya'll have some new friends. Ah figured it'd be a perfect time t' whip out an ol' family recipe. Ya'll three take a seat an ah'll have em ready in jus' a minute." Applejack smiled. The three kids hopped into their chairs, giggling between themselves. Applejack couldn't hide her smile as she placed three plates of pancakes before them, sliding a fourth over to Spike.

"Scoots, shouldn't you go tell the shelter mom where you are?" Sweetie Belle asked. Scootaloo sighed through a mouthful of the most delicious pancake she had ever tasted.

"Yea I gueth." she said around her food, taking another large bite.

"So ya'll are really an orphan?" Applejack asked softly. Scootaloo nodded somberly, digging back into her pancakes, frowning as she finished the last bite. Her eyes lit up as Applejack presented her with a second helping.

"Thanks Miss Applejack!" Scootaloo gasped, digging into her pancakes once more.

"Slow down Scootaloo! Yer gonna hurt yerself!" Applebloom laughed. Applejack watched the three friends chat away over their pancakes before glancing over at Spike, his plate long since relieved of its load. He was reading through a large scroll, but spared the time to return her glance.

"Ohmigosh do I smell pancakes!?" Pinkie gasped from the sitting room, zipping into the kitchen. Applejack however was ready for her, thwacking her nose with a spoon.

"Down Pinkie!" she barked, the baker whimpering and taking a seat.

"Ya'll always eat up everythin' 'fore anyone else gets a chance. Don't ya worry none, yer gonna get yers after everyone gets theirs." Applejack told her. Pinkie nodded meekly. One by one the others poured into the kitchen, accepting a plate from Applejack and finding somewhere to sit. Applejack looked around, doing a headcount.

"Where th' heck are Twi an Rainbow?" Applejack asked.

"Still downstairs." Rarity sighed, nursing a cup of coffee. It was definitely too early in the morning and her head was still pounding from the beating she had taken the day before. Applejack slid into the seat beside her weary friend and offered her a smile.

"Ya'll feelin alright Rarity?" Applejack asked softly. Rarity glanced at her friends bandaged hand, feeling her stomach tie up in knots.

"I-I will be...the real thing is a bit different from the package if you get my meaning." she mumbled over her coffee. She glanced over at her younger sister, happily chatting away with Applebloom and Scootaloo.

"I didn't want this life for her Applejack. She deserves so much more..."

"Ah hear ya Rarity, but if anyone can help her through it, you can." Applejack assured her. Rarity smiled weakly and in her tired state, rested her head against her friends shoulder.

"Ya'll ain't gonna bite me again are ya?" Applejack joked.

"Hardy har har. No, I've had my fill." Rarity threw back.

"...Whats it taste like?" Applejack couldn't help but wonder.

"Normally like one of Pinkies attempts at a drink, far too sweet but quite addicting. You taste like apples." Rarity mumbled. Applejack grinned smugly.

"Told ya Apple Farmin was in my blood."

"Shush before I decide to have a snack." Rarity grumbled, eyes closed and dozing. Applejack rolled her eyes, blinking as Twilight trudged into the kitchen, accepting a cup of coffee from Spike.

"Well howdy Twilight, hows yer research goin'?" Applejack asked.

"mmm...coffee..." she mumbled, sipping the drink like her life depended on it.

"Give her a minute." Spike chuckled. Slowly the Magians eyes opened, giving her a view of her packed kitchen.

"Um...Morning everyone..." Twilight greeted.

"So, 'bout that researchin'?" Applejack asked. Twilight blinked and gasped.

"Oh! The research! Yes, well. I've discovered some interesting facts and built a few theories, but its going rather well."

"So you can really help Scoots?" Sweetie Belle asked excitedly. The room fell silent as everyone turned their attention to the young Magian. She hung her head.

"I was pretending to sleep and listened in on everything." She mumbled.

"Belle, I told you. I'm fine!" Scootaloo argued.

"NO YOU'RE NOT!" Sweetie Belle yelled, glaring at her friend.

"I notice when you stop to catch your breath, I can see how much it hurts when you push yourself too hard. And I know you're just acting tough so no one will worry." Sweetie Belle continued. Twilight bit her lip as she watched them argue.

"I'm just giving everyone else a chance to catch up!"

"Thats enough kid." Rainbow said as she entered the kitchen. Scootaloo stared up at her idol, watching as Rainbow walked across the room and leaned against the counter behind her.

"Drop the act and listen to your friend." Rainbow ordered.

"I'm not actin'. I'm fine!"

"Kid, I had what you have. I know, okay? I know." Rainbow said softly. Scootaloo could only stare, looking Rainbow up and down slowly.

"A-are you gonna die too?" Scootaloo asked softly.

"No way kid. We're gonna get through this, see that nerd over there?" Rainbow pointed to Twilight, the Magian raising an eyebrow.

"She's workin' on a cure right now and I bet this time next week you'll be flying." Rainbow grinned.

"R-Really?" Scootaloo asked excitedly, her wings buzzing as she jumped up in her seat. Rainbow looked over at Twilight, seeing determination in her tired eyes and chuckled.

"Really. Now C'mon, I heard you need to go tell your 'mom' where you're at." Rainbow said, ruffling her hair. Scootaloo grumbled and sighed, following Rainbow out of the library.

"She seems rather attached to that little girl." Rarity remarked.

"She told me that girl reminds her a lot of herself at that age. They both suffer from Mareks Disease, both lost their parents, both were told they would never fly. But Scootaloo doesn't have a psycho mother to save her like Rainbow did. I guess thats where we come into the picture." Twilight chuckled over her coffee.

Eyebrows were indeed raised at the comment. Once the words were out in the open Twilight came to a realization. It sounded a lot better in her head.

"N-No thats not what I meant!" She quickly tried to argue, spilling her coffee, laughter filling the kitchen.

"We ain't judgin ya none sugarcube. It did seem an awful bit quiet down there." Applejack teased. Spike hid a grin as he coughed into his hand.

"Saw-it-coming." he said quickly, earning a smack to the back of his head.

"Did ah miss somethin'?" Applebloom asked. Sweetie Belle only shrugged, the two making their way out of the kitchen and to their unfinished board game. Laughter and arguments flew back and forth in the kitchen. Spike smiled as he watched it unfold and allowed things to be normal for once.


Scootaloo gripped the handles of her Scooter and Rainbow had an idea.

"Hey kid, how about a race?" Rainbow asked. Scootaloo stared up at her idol.

"Y-You wanna race..me?" she asked in shock.

"Sure, if I win, we'll go out for ice cream and you tell me about your parents." Rainbow held out her hand.

"And...if I win...you have to adopt me!" Scootaloo said quickly, grabbing Rainbows hand, giving it a quick shake and then snapping out her wings, the tiny nubs buzzing faster than Rainbow could see and sending the girl screeching down the street.

"...Hey!" Rainbow grit her teeth and took off at a run after the girl, flicking open her wings and soaring just above the ground, quickly catching up. Scootaloo glanced over at her, buzzing her wings hard and pulling out front just slightly.

Rainbow was barely even pushing herself, she could easily soar past the kid, but then what? She glanced over at the kid, teeth clenched, knuckles white, eyes focused. The kid wanted to win so bad, like her life depended on it.

What the heck am I thinking? I can't adopt a kid! Ugh, crap. she sighed to herself, letting up a bit, the girl pulling ahead and sliding to a stop in front of the orphanage. She leaned over the handles of her scooter, wheezing slightly with her eyes shut. Rainbow gave her a moment before landing beside her.

"You okay kid?" Rainbow asked softly. Scootaloo gave her a thumbs up and rested her scooter against the wall.

"Wait...d-did I win?" Scootaloo asked. Rainbow chuckled, crossing her arms.

"Yup, just barely kept ahead of me kid. You've got some pretty tough wings." Rainbow told her. Tears filled the little girls eyes as she tackled Rainbow in a monster hug.

"Whoa! Calm down kid!"

"I-I can't believe I won..." she sobbed against Rainbows shirt. Rainbow sighed, wrapping her arms around the kid.

"Yea yea, I'll win next time kid." Rainbow chuckled. She gasped as Scootaloo grabbed her hand and pulled her into the orphanage. The Shelter mom gasped as she caught sight of Scootaloo.

"Where have you been?!" she demanded. Scootaloo froze for a moment before standing tall.

"I-I was with my friends. We had a sleepover at the library." Scootaloo explained herself.

"You should've told me you weren't coming back last night Scootaloo. Go to your room."

"B-But Miss Taker!" Scootaloo argued.

"Now!" Miss Taker yelled

"Hey! You can't treat her like that!" Rainbow shoved Scootaloo behind her, glaring at the shelter mom.

"And just who are you to tell me what I can and can't do?" Miss Taker demanded.

"I'm her new mom, now wheres the friggin paperwork?!" Rainbow growled.

"You can't just march in here and demand I hand a child over to you! Especially after you have shown what kind of person you are. Now, if need be I will contact the authorities and have you removed from the premises!" Miss Taker threatened. Scootaloo whimpered behind her, tugging on her arm.

"I-I'll be fine Rainbow...I don't want you to get in trouble..."

"Its cool kid, I got this." Rainbow whispered, turning back to Miss Taker. The others were probably going to have a fit, but she needed to do this. Summoning her strength she called out to her armor, standing tall before the panicking shelter mom.

"I am Rainbow Dash. A Knight of Celamont acting under the direct orders of Princess Celestia herself. And I demand you bring me the paperwork for this child." Rainbow spoke in her best military voice. Miss Taker, for her part, seemed rather calm on the outside as she fumbled for the mentioned papers.

"J-Just sign here ma'am." she gulped.

"You're the best Rainbow! Lemme go get my stuff!" Scootaloo hugged her leg before vanishing into the orphanage. Rainbow could faintly hear children congratulating the girl.

"Its about time Scoots. We were all thinkin' you'd be buggin' us forever." she heard a voice say.

"Hey, don't worry about that. I'll visit just to make sure someone is buggin' ya." Scootaloo threw back before returning with a bag slung over her shoulder. Rainbow looked over the papers, her armor vanishing as she handed them back.

"We um, we'll need t-"

"Check in on me in a few months, blah blah blah. I was adopted, I know the drill." Rainbow interrupted.

"C'mon kid, lets get outta here." Rainbow saved one last glance for the shelter mom before leaving with Scootaloo in tow. It wasn't until she stepped outside that she realized what she had done.

"Crap..."


"I win!" Sweetie Belle cheered.

"Crud, best out of 37?" Applebloom asked. Sweetie Belle shrugged and helped her friend put the game back together. Rainbow walked into the library, a more than excited Scootaloo on her tail.

"You girls aren't even gonna guess what just happened!" Scootaloo buzzed excitedly to her friends.

"You learned to fly?" Sweetie Belle asked. Scootaloo shook her head, practically vibrating in place.

"Diamond Tiara fell down a well?"

"Well that would be as good, but no. I got adopted!" she cheered.

"Thats great Scoots!" Sweetie Belle and Applebloom cheered together. Rainbow Dash plopped down in a chair, resting her face in her hands.

"Uh, by who?" Applebloom wondered. Scootaloo zipped over to Rainbow.

"The one an only Rainbow Dash!" she answered, the room falling silent.

"Do you girls mind giving us a minute to talk to Rainbow?" Rarity asked. The three friends shared a worried glance before nodding. Rainbow gasped as her friends yanked her into the kitchen, all of them staring her down.

"Rainbow, ya'll don't know th' first thing in takin' care o' a child. What'd ya go an do a stupid thing like that fer?" Apple demanded.

"Because...because she deserved it." Rainbow answered.

"Thats wonderful of you dear, really. But where is she going to sleep? You live in a cloudhouse, she can't fly!" Rarity argued.

"I'll carry her!" Rainbow argued.

"How is she gonna get down? Oh! we could build a ladder!" Pinkie snorted.

"A cloudhouse drifts Pinkie, a ladder would fall off eventually." Twilight tossed in her two cents.

"Well I can't take her back! This isn't like some slip-up at the store and you get a refund. Spitfire was there for me when no one else was. Theres no one out there for this kid, its gotta be someone who understands her, who can be there for her..." Rainbow argued.

"I think its a good idea." Spike said out of the blue, all eyes turning to him.

"Who knows better what Scootaloo is going through than someone who survived it?" Spike asked, making his way out into the main room and joining the boardgame.

"Well Spike approves, so I guess I do too." Twilight smiled, using her magic to wash the dishes.

"You girls kinda have a point...where is she gonna stay?" Rainbow sighed, slamming her forehead into the table.

"She could stay here." Twilight suggested.

"I would be able to keep an eye on her condition and the library door is always open. I've got an unused guest room, and this way we don't have to worry about her being stranded in your cloudhouse or unable to get home." Twilight smiled. Rainbow blinked, the other girls sharing a look.

"I should ask her first Twi'. She was kinda excited about me taking her in." Rainbow finally said, peeking her head out of the kitchen.

"Hah! I'm on a roll today." Scootaloo grinned as she won another game. Spike, Applebloom, and Sweetie Belle groaned in defeat.

"Hey Scootaloo, you mind comin' in here for a sec? Give them a chance to win, ya know?" Rainbow asked. Scootaloo shrugged.

"Heh, they need the practice." Scootaloo chuckled, making her way into the kitchen.

"Whats up?" she asked, looking up at Rainbow.

"I uh...we need to talk kid."

"Oh...am I going back to the orphanage?" Scootaloo asked quietly.

"What?! No! No way! We just uh...we gotta talk about living situations kid. Those wings of yours are tough, but they can't get ya off the ground yet. So you can't stay at my place..."

"Oh...right..." Scootaloo mumbled.

"But, remember that nerd?" Rainbow asked.

"I'm right here!" Twilight fussed.

"Well, she offered to let you stay here until we get you flying." Rainbow said, ignoring Twilight.

"She's not gonna experiment on me is she?" Scootaloo whispered.

"Nah, not unless we say she can, which is gonna have to happen to get your wings in flyin' shape. But we'll wait til you're ready for that." Rainbow winked, ruffling her hair.

"So, what do ya say? Wanna hang with Spike and Twi' til I figure somethin out?" Rainbow asked. Scootaloo looked over at Twilight.

"Well...Spike is kinda cool...and he was gonna show me his comic books...I guess I can hang here for a while." Scootaloo bit her lip and twiddled her thumbs.

"Am I still gonna get to see you?"

"Of course you are kid. What kinda parent would I be if I ditched you?"

"A bad one." Pinkie answered, sucking on a spoon covered in pancake batter. Rainbow gave the baker a flat look before turning back to Scootaloo.

"Right, and that wouldn't be cool. So, you hang here 'til we get you flyin', and I'll try and figure out the rest of the details. Deal?"

"Deal!"


"Hey Spike? Whats Twilight doin' down there anyway?" Scootaloo asked, helping her 'roommate' clean up. Spike paused for a moment, thinking carefully on his words.

"Well..." he thought of lying, of coming up with some excuse like he always did. But what was the point in that? Scootaloo's life was on the line here, she deserved to know the truth, besides it wasn't anything terrible that needed hiding.

"She's working on a cure." Spike answered.

"Well, yea. Rainbow told me that. But, how? Those guys at the hospital worked for ages on my parents and got nothin..." Scootaloo sighed, hanging her head. Spike smiled, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Scoots, Twilight is a real brainiac, an on top of that, she's got Rainbow helping her. Heck, I bet she gets a cure before the week is over." Spike grinned.

"Yea, haven't heard that before..." she grumbled. Spike sighed, putting a hand against his chin.

"Hey, wanna see somethin cool?" he asked, looking back and forth. Scootaloo perked up slightly. Spike led the way outside behind the library.

He took a quick look around before shifting into his practice stance, flames slowly forming around his body. Scootaloo stared with wide eyes as he flowed through the simple forms, the flames dancing around along with him. She was practically jumping in place as he finished.

"Teach me! Teach me! Teach me!" she said quickly.

"Alright, but you gotta promise to not show it off." Spike chuckled, happy to have her mind on better things.


He carefully looked over the fragments of armor. All that remained of Nightmare Moon was within these few pieces, held in a special container to hold back and suppress any remaining chaos.

"What do you think Dr Accord? Quite a strange find we have on our hands hm?" Spell Nexus asked his colleague.

"Yes, quite a strange find indeed. Though we can't learn much by simply staring at the fragments through a box now can we?" Dr Accord replied, circling the clear container

"I agree, but until we know more we can't risk removing them."

"I understand, but how are we to know more without further study?" Dr Accord argued. Spell Nexus paused for a moment, tucking his hands into his lab coat and letting out a sigh.

"I suppose you are right, as you always are. Very well. I'll prepare. Be ready with the decontamination unit so I can get out and clean without any problems." Dr Nexus finally gave in.

Dr Accord hid a mischievous grin as he stepped out of the room. He watched from the observation window as Spell Nexus opened the box, his eyes glowing with a surge of magical power before he ran his hands over the fragments.

"This is...strange...its almost as if the armor itself were alive..." Spell Nexus murmured.

"I wouldn't take that as a surprise. It is riddled with a thousand years of pure chaos and hate." Dr Accord replied over the intercom.

"Wait...somethings happeni-AAAAAAHHH!' Spell Nexus screamed in pain as dark energy arched out of the armor, clinging to his body.

"Dr Accord! GAHHHH! Help me!" he cried out, seeing his friend grin at him from the window. His eyes widened as he watched the man snap his fingers and vanish. He had to think quickly, there were only a few precious seconds left before his mind was lost to the chaos. Summoning every last ounce of magic he could hold, he began to pull the escaping darkness into himself, his cries of pain echoing throughout the room. Piece by piece runes etched themselves into his body, as old as magic itself, the spell began to seal the darkness within him. Spell Nexus smiled one last time before collapsing in a heap upon the floor.

Author's Note:

Miss Taker taken from the Story - Spellbound Fireflies by Bats - Go read it! Its awesome and very twidashy
Spell Nexus is from Past Sins by Pen-stroke
Dr Accord has quite a lot on his agenda
And Trixie is coming to town!
Oh and for those of you assuming things are just wonderful and perfect for Scootaloo...I apologize for the coming chapters.
Links will be added to this AN later on. Its 5am and I has work to go to and needs some sleep. Will also add episode/chapter name later.

PreviousChapters Next