• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 9,610 Views, 504 Comments

Discovering Friendship - Saro0fdemonz



Twilight Sparkle, aspiring student of Princess Celestia has been tasked with the most difficult challenge a Magian must face. Making friends. Along the way she will discover what it means to truly be a friend and uncover a power unlike any other.

  • ...
38
 504
 9,610

PreviousChapters Next
S2EP17

"I think we're lost," Scootaloo grumbled.

"We ain't lost! Ah jus' don't recognize this hallway!" Applebloom argued, shuddering and leaning against the wall.

"Uh...You okay?" Scootaloo wondered. Sweetie Belle clung to her arm, shaking worse than Applebloom. Scootaloo glanced around, feeling her hair stand on end.

"Okay...what is going on?"

"P-Powerful m-magic..." Sweetie Belle stammered.

"It's gotta be our sisters. T-They are fightin' with Nyx!" Applebloom realized, forcing herself upright.

"Shoot, ah can't figure out where it's comin' from, it feels like its everywhere!" she growled in frustration. Sweetie Belle pointed down the hall.

"It's there," she mumbled, letting out a squeak as Applebloom hugged her before taking off.

"Guess we should follow her, huh?" Scootaloo smirked, grabbing Sweetie Belle's hand and giving it a squeeze. The Magian gave a nod, clinging to her friend.

"Hold on Nyx, we're comin'"


"Wow," Rainbow scoffed.

"That's pretty damn deep kid,"

"It's true though. I should've just stayed in that bush. Maybe some creature of Everfree would've eaten me and none of this would have happened," Nyx sighed.

"I dunno how Twilight got out there Nyx, but if somethin' had come to eat you she woulda fought it off or died trying to save you,"

"And that's the problem Miss Rainbow. Twilight has been attacked, hurt, brainwashed, and almost killed, all because of me," Nyx lowered her head, the darkness creeping in, unable to reach beyond Rainbow's Bubble.

"You're beating yourself up kid, literally. Aren't you forgetting something?" Rainbow stepped forward into the Darkness, wincing as it wrapped around her.

"R-Rainbow!" Nyx gasped.

"I'm fine kid! I told ya, didn't I?! Any of us would die for you! So this is nothing!" Rainbow yelled, continuing her march forward even as the Darkness swallowed her. She finally reached the Other Nyx, throwing her arms around her in a hug.

Nyx blinked, finding herself in place of her other self and in Rainbow's arms, the bubble spreading around them. Rainbow panted slightly and smiled.

"I...What?"

"It's you, right? Both of them," Rainbow glanced over her shoulder, pointing to the other bubble where the first Nyx stood in a panic.

"She's a memory of that moment now. This is your main focus so this is your 'body'," Rainbow explained.

"Is she just going to stand there, forever crying out?" Nyx asked.

"She doesn't have to. You can give her a hand," Rainbow said softly. Nyx looked down at the Darkness that kept them apart. Rainbow grabbed her hand.

"I'm with you all the way kid,"

"R-Right..." Nyx gulped, and took her first step into the Darkness.


"That man is rather impressive sister. Nightmare would've reacted within an instant. To cast such a powerful seal in such a short time..." Luna murmured.

"There were reasons I trusted him..." Celestia sighed.

"It's funny. Applebloom said she thought he was evil...Ah shoulda said somethin' sooner but ah..."

"You didn't know Applejack. You couldn't understand yet," Pinkie argued instantly.

"No matter how much you care. This isn't something you just let walk into your life. It takes time," she continued with a weak smile.

"Rainbow seemed to take to it rather quickly," Rarity chuckled

"That's how Rainbow is...If you're her friend, nothing else matters," Fluttershy giggled, the Chaos seeming to dance giddily around her.

"Do you think she'll be able to help Nyx?" Rarity glanced over at Nightmare.

"I know she can. I was there for Rainbow's treatment. My father just guided her, she did all the work. I can feel the Chaos pulling back already," Fluttershy smiled.

"And, should she decide I must still perish?" Celestia asked. They glanced between each other, none of them having an answer.

"Then the two of you will Duel," Spike cut through the silence "the same way I and Morigan fought,"


Twilight let out a sigh as she found herself floating next to Magic once more.

"Is this always going to happen?" she groaned

"Unhappy to see me? I thought you couldn't live without me Sparkle," Magic teased with a wink.

"I...I'm grateful for your help, but I still have so many questions,"

"Sadly I can't really answer them. Think of it like an Exam, little Sparkle. Would it be fair if you started your test with all the answers? I think not,"

"What do tests and fairness have to do with the real world?" Twilight argued

"My girlfriend had literally everything taken from her! Her daughter lost her parents. LOVING parents! Applejack was forcefully taken in the name of all of this! And don't get me started on Nyx!" she continued to vent.

"You're right Sparkle. The world is unfair. It's full of shit and horrible things. Here's a thing you don't know Sparkle," Magic leaned in close

"How much has little Spike suffered for you?" she whispered before leaning back. Twilight's mouth worked, but no words came out.

"Since your conception, he has sacrificed every moment of his life in dedication to you. Is it fair to drag his life through the dirt for your sake? Sure, he's not even a real citizen, not even human," Magic continued, hovering around her.

"But let's move on. Vanesssa, the vampire. She was fooled into joining the Knights by your mother of all people. Forced to be a good little dog by the Princess you idolize, all for the sake of her sisters. Hell! Let's jump back before she was a dog! Did you know she had to kill her mother with her own two hands?" Magic laughed.

"I GET IT! Life isn't fair! That just further proves my own point!" Twilight shouted.

"No Sparkle, you understand nothing. Which is why I will tell you nothing," Magic mumbled, snapping her fingers. Twilight groaned in pain as she awoke, finding her friends around her.

"How ya holdin' up Twilight?" Applejack asked softly. She looked into the Farmer's eyes, gulping as she thought of all the woman had been through. Risking her life by following her lead; Her struggle in raising her daughter and the lies she had been forced to keep. Her eyes drifted over to Fluttershy.

Forced to be a pawn in her fathers game. Believing herself to be a monster. Trapped by her guilt for what she had to do and still fighting on.

Rarity, much in the same boat, hating herself for simply existing. Remembering all the people she hurt when the monster inside took over.

Pinkie Pie. Not even she knew what she was. Something that ate away at her everyday, and still she fought and smiled, worrying about the happiness of others over her own.

Twilight began to cry as her friends crowded around her, hiding her face behind her hands.

"Twilight!" they all panicked.

"I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry..." she muttered over and over again.

"Ya'll ain't got nothin' t' be sorry 'bout ya ninny," Applejack chuckled.

"You all...You all followed after me, risking everything just because I..."

"That's what friends do Twilight. We are there for one another, just as you have been there for all of us," Rarity argued gently.

"You always run ahead Twilight. You take the lead when none of us know what to do," Pinkie laid down beside her and squeezed her hand.

"That's right. If we hadn't followed you, you would've fought Nightmare on your own, even if you couldn't defeat her," Rarity pointed out.

"You could've left me for dead...All of you could have. You should've thrown me in the dungeons...But you said I was your friend, someone important. You protected me, protected all of us. So never apologize Twilight. Just be our friend. That's all we need," Fluttershy smiled, wiping away a few tears of her own.

"I...Thank you, everyone..."


Applebloom gasped and pressed herself against the wall, motioning for her friends to do the same.

"Ah made a mistake!" she hissed under her breath. They peeked around the corner, seeing Nightmare's guards enter a room.

"They really just let us walk in, huh?" one of them chuckled.

"Whatever. Nexus said the kid might break through, so if shit hits the fan we can just go in and kill them all," another laughed.

Applebloom grit her teeth.

"We gotta do somethin," she growled.

"Like what? we're kids!" Sweetie Belle argued.

"We're more than kids. We're Crusaders!" Scootaloo cheered as she jumped into the doorway.

"Hey fuckface!"


"Wow kid. I knew you learned fast, but this is nuts..." Rainbow looked around. It had started as several little white bubbles, each protected by Rainbow, until Nyx had managed to connect them. Now they stood in a small library.

"Took me a month to get my field going," she mumbled.

"S-Sorry...should it be a field?" Nyx frowned

"No kid, it's your happy place. I picked a field to fly in, because i'd been trapped and chained down for so long...Being out in the open air is the greatest feeling in the world when you've been stuck on the ground your entire life..." Rainbow chuckled, blinking as Nyx hugged her.

"Uh, kid?"

"You've been through so much..." she murmured. Rainbow rolled her eyes, returning the hug.

"I think that's enough for today kid. We can't get through everything in one session. Things start getting weird if you try too hard. Come on," Rainbow held out her hand, a door appearing.

"I'll see ya on the outside," she winked, walking through it. Nyx smiled and blinked, finding herself sitting with Rainbow and Luna. She glanced over at the Skyborn, seeing her a bit out of breath with Chaos sparking around her body.

"R-Rainbow!" she panicked. Rainbow shook her head.

"I'm fine kid. What about you?" Rainbow asked. Nyx looked down at herself, glancing over her shoulder.

"I...I'm confused more than anything else. I didn't get to really see what it was Luna wanted from me," she admitted.

"There's a lot of gunk to work through. I'll make ya a deal kid," Rainbow held out her hand, wincing from the Chaos.

"Gimmie a month. At your speed, we'll tear through most of it, and if you still wanna fight the Princess, I'll back ya up,"

"Rainbow!" Rarity yelled.

"But if you can't decide, then you've gotta go back to being that little kid Twilight loves so damn much," she continued, ignoring Rarity.

"You...You would fight your own Princess? What about your Loyalty?" Nyx accused.

"Listen kid, I'll tell ya a secret," Rainbow leaned back and sucked in a breath.

"FUCK CELESTIA!" she yelled, everyone staring in shock.

"Everything that tore my life apart leads back to the bitch standing over there and what did she do about it? She knew everything about us since we were born, tracked us all down an kept tabs on us. But when shit hit the fan she never stepped in to save us. If we were so damn important, why'd she just sit an watch?

She sends her own fucking student to fight her sister who she fucking pushed to the edge.

She adopts a dragon and trains him to kill and die for her.

She BRAINWASHED HER OWN FUCKING PEOPLE! So ya see kid, I am staying loyal. Loyal to the people who matter to me, Loyal to the people who have been there for me every step of the way, and Loyal to the people who deserve it," Rainbow grinned.

"I never knew you felt so strongly about me Rainbow Dash. It is true, I never interfered. But tell me, how well would your Element fare you had I stopped the things that motivate you?" Celestia asked softly.

Rainbow had no answer.

"So many times I wish it could be I...But it can't. If I could've prevented any of this, I would have. I suppose in your eyes, that makes me worthless. But if it makes you happy, then I will take all of that hate in stride, because that is my duty," Celestia finished.

"So, Nyx, child of Twilight Sparkle. What say you to this offer?" Luna asked softly.

"...A month. I'll wait until then," she grabbed Rainbow's hand, pulling her into a hug.

"And if it comes to that, i'll face Celestia alone."

PreviousChapters Next