• Published 25th May 2014
  • 2,130 Views, 15 Comments

Dragon's Tale: The city of Darkrise - IMN



Abandoned, abused, and defeated, Spike is then saved by magic wielding dragons; only there is a catch... One that might just turn his entire world upside down

  • ...
3
 15
 2,130

The grave keepers: Spike.

Ouch, my head.

Why does this keep happening to me? First I get foalnapped right in front of every pony in Equestria, then I get foalnapped again by a psychotic dragon who did stuff out of a horror story, afterward I nearly get killed by another psychotic hatchling who can turned insects into swords, then another crazy dragon tried to cut me in half, before finally a zombie dragon tried to serve me tea… Okay, that last one wasn’t half as bad, but still, a zombie? Aren’t those fiction or something?

It’s all his fault anyway, Starlight. That idiot was the cause of everything. And he had the nerve to tell me that to my face, what does he think he is? A king or something?

Where am I anyway?

It looks like a bed room, but… everything is so white.

White walls, white floor, white bed, white sheets.

I may be the only colored thing in this place.

With a groan, I leaped from the bed. Why does everything hurts? Now that I think about it, everything’s been hurting me for a while now, even before being taken. Is this normal?

I hear voices coming from the second room, “Hello?”

Okay that was stupid, haven’t I learned anything? It’s probably some insane dragon right around the corner about to try and eat me.

Well I’m sick of it, if I am going to get eaten by a dragon then at least I am going to do it with my dignity intact.

I puff up my chest, broaden my shoulder and walk into the next room, expecting to fight.

And I walk in.

“Ah you’re awake,” A very white dragon which I remembered him trying to slice me before I fainted, “You have been out for a couple of days, we were so worried about you.”

“Ehhhh.”

“Oh, don’t worry Wilfred, I’m almost done here, just be patient for a moment,” He then turns toward me, “So Spike, how are you feeling?”

….

“You do remember me right, I accidently tried to sheer you in half. My sincerest apologies by the way.”

I nod very slowly.

“My name is Weiss of the Angua bloodline, in case you forgot.”

I nod again.

“Eeeehhhh,” the zombie stated.

“A brilliant idea Wilfred, but I should finish strengthening your jaw first, I don’t want to find some unwanted lumps of meat in my tea again, wouldn’t I?”

“Ehh."

“Good boy, now turn your head to the other side.”

I think I’m seeing things, but I need to be sure, “Is that a zombie?”

“An astounding observation indeed, I was fearing your mental faculties may have fell in default.”

“Why are you stitching a zombie’s face?” I never thought I will ever say those words in that order in my entire life.

“He is my zombie, and as part of my hoard, I have to take care of him,” he stretches his wing so that they become more visible, is that supposed to mean something? “That is why I have these,” he said while pointing them out.

“I don’t understand,” I mumble, and he seemed to have noticed.

“I am the hoarder of the living death, Weiss Angua of Darkrise,” He said while cutting the string from the stitches.

Alright, I still don't understand what's he talking about, so let me just process the scenery first. Weiss, is about twice as tall as I am, making him another whelp. He is white though, I mean seriously white, white scales, white spikes, white teeth, white eyes… I think his tongue is white as well. He has small wings which by now I don’t think I need to state their color. And he just finished stitching the chin of a zombie dragon that is about twice his size.

Yep, not weird at all.

I want my blanky.

“Come now, don’t be like that,” He said while standing up, “It is very rude to judge a dragon on his magic.”

“I’m sorry?”

He sighed then walks toward me, “Look, I’ll give you a free pass, you can ask me anything, anything you want and I’ll answer it without hesitation.”

I point at the zombie dragon, “Will he try and eat my brain?”

Weiss stared at me like I have two heads, before chuckling, “No, but he will try and smother you with hugs, biscuits and tea.”

“Okay,” I take a step back, this place just got a lot weirder, I need to get out of here and fast. However my escape was not meant to be, when a loud gurgle came from my stomach.

Somehow Weiss seemed to have caught on my reservation, “I’ll prepare something for you to eat if you don’t want zombie made food.”

“Thanks,” Okay why do I feel ashamed all of a sudden? I mean these are zombies for crying out loud.

Damn it Wilfred! Stop pouting at me!

Okay, I need to stop swearing in my head, if Twilight were to ever finds out I learned that habit from them, I’ll be in big trouble.

Weiss motioned to me and I followed him down a hallway, I noticed other things about his house. It feels like I’m in a mausoleum of some sort, although the walls are white, but somehow have this intimacy feel to them, and the tables are set out like they have gravestones on them. Seriously what’s with the decor?

“Will it be alright if we traveled the yard to get to the kitchen?” Weiss suddenly said as he opened the front gate.

“The yard?” I walked toward the front gate and was greeted with a graveyard… with tombstones… and other mausoleums… and far too many zombies to care to count.
I quickly grabbed the gate and slammed it shut, my heart feels like it’s going to burst.

“What’s wrong?” Weiss asked innocently enough that I feel like punching him… okay I’m being too aggressive here.

“We are in a Graveyard.” I said bitterly.

“Well, of course we are,” What’s with his calmness, “My brother and I are the attendees of the graveyard of the temple district.”

The what now? “But aren’t you a necromancer?”

“Yes, we both are,” you know, I’m starting to hate being a dragon with all my heart, “but these zombies have been naturally reanimated when a disease struck Darkrise seven centuries ago, neither of us had any claw in making them.”

Well that explains… things.

“Then what exactly do you do here?”

“We make sure the zombie dragons don’t get out of control, and we make sure they are treated with minimum respect and a lot of kindness.”

Kindness? Really?

“It’s not the fault of the dead that they were reanimated,” Weiss continued, “they deserve at least a bit of compassion, don’t you think?”

“But you said you hoard them, where is the compassion in that?”

“Now that’s just a play of words, little one, a dragon’s hoard is his treasure,” why did he suddenly making a lot of sense? “He keeps it safe and guards it from any threat. These guys are my hoard, it is in my instinct that I want what’s best for them.”

“I think you’re being hypocritical about it, isn’t one of them your personal butler?”

Weiss laughed, he looks so sincere and innocent and yet… “Wilfred was a butler in real life, I didn’t make him my personal butler, be became mine on his own free will.”

I give him the stink eye, he just pats my head. What do I look like to him? A child?

“You don’t seem to know much about your own kind, do you? Otherwise, you probably would have known that almost all graveyard keepers are also necromancers.”

“I don’t have high regards to them either,” these past few weeks have shown me beyond any reasonable doubt that dragons are nothing but big fat jerks who bully anyone and everyone in front of them.

“Then I have my work cut out for me then,” What is he talking about? “Come with me, I think its time someone really taught you what being a dragon is truly about.”

Comments ( 6 )

do you have a picture of wilfred?

IMN

6194180

:rainbowderp::rainbowlaugh:

Unfortunately no, though I would be happy if there is one.

i hope more chapters are going to come soon

This story has certainly seized my attention. Spike's Suffering alone was enough to keep me reading.

Unfortunately I do have a problem with this story, which I'm probably going to get my bum handed to me for saying. While First Person Stories can be very good, when the First Person constantly shifts to different characters each chapter, sometimes without telling you who it is, it does get rather confusing. That's just me though.

IMN

9323345

Wow, I can't believe I was this green.

Unfortunately, this story is canceled; I haven't updated my tags in a while so thank you for pointing it out.

9324045
Well, that's very saddening. I was hoping to see Garble get his face ripped off :P

Login or register to comment