• Published 25th May 2014
  • 2,130 Views, 15 Comments

Dragon's Tale: The city of Darkrise - IMN



Abandoned, abused, and defeated, Spike is then saved by magic wielding dragons; only there is a catch... One that might just turn his entire world upside down

  • ...
3
 15
 2,130

Prelude: A very bad day: Spike

Author's Note:

And here it is, the latest version of Darkrise.

Unlike the previous story, this one is based on the events after Twilight's Kingdom.

Many thanks to my faithful readers who will bear with me with this unearthly transformation of the entire story line.

*BLURP*

Oh Celestia, this is going to be one of those days again.

I really hate when I wake up from burping a letter from princess Celestia, these days almost always end up badly. And today is going especially bad, considering that I just woke up from the most wonderful dream ever. You see, I was dreaming that Rarity and I were doing… uhm, stuff.1.

“Twilight,” I yelled, I have never missed the tree house as much as I do now. Don’t get me wrong, I like our new crystal tree palace of friendship, with rainbow power conference room, and I like that now I have my own room the most. But the practicality of living in the Golden Oak library is still unrivaled, At least we were an earshot away from each other.

As I trudged toward the kitchen, I noticed that Twilight hasn't slept since last night, she was however reading a book.

“There you are, I was yelling for you all morning,” I lied of course, I only yelled once, but she doesn't need to know that, “have you been reading that book all night, again?”

“Oh hey Spike,” she had puffs under her eyes, never a good sign, “I was just finishing this books about dragons that Celestia sent to me last night.”

“Princess Celestia sent you a book about dragons? Did it say how majestic and noble we are?”

With a giggle she say, “Yes and how you raid villages and pillage kingdoms, but it doesn't have anything new, just a bunch of speculations and theories, nothing we don’t already know.”

“Then why did you spend all night reading it?”

“Because Celestia told me that we are going to need it for today, I don’t know what for though, she sounded so cryptic in her note when the guards delivered it yesterday, she wanted me to focus on Darkrise and the Black Sun, both of which I found next to nothing on,” She finished with a disappointed sigh.2.

How odd, usually the princesses tell me about any dragon related literature they find, why did she kept this one from me? Maybe it's nothing, maybe I'm just overthinking.

“Oh that remind me,” I picked up the parchment and handed it to her, “This came for you.”

Twilight unfurled the parchment, her face turned into a scowl just like I expected, “Let me guess, Celestia wants us in Canterlot immediately.”

“No Spike, she wants you in Canterlot specifically.”

Huh, that’s new, "what does she want with me?"

"She didn't say, she only mentioned that you need to be at one of her hearings."

“Will you at least come with me?” I asked skittishly.

“Why do you want me there?”

“I…” What am I suppose to say here? Should I tell her because that letter woke me up from my sleep? “...have a bad feeling about today, it’s all.”

Twilight thought for a moment, “Alright I’ll join, but first.” She picked up a sapphire tart and placed it in front of me, dear Celestia I love that Twilight is a princess of a kingdom, “let’s eat.”

And I dove in the tart like it was going to be the last decent I will have in a long while.


Arriving at Canterlot palace, we were greeted by Shining Armor, and for some reason I felt a pit in my stomach the moment I saw him; it’s not like I don’t like him, Shining is more like a brother to me, but still, every time he had been around recently something bad had happened, so why should this time be an exception?

“Twily, Spike, so good to see you both.” His greeting was casual enough.

“Hey BBBFF.” Twilight, please, that was cute the first thousand time you said it,3. “What are you doing here?"

“Extra security,” huh why do they need extra security for? “Come on, let's go inside, better not keep Princess Celestia waiting.”

What? “What’s going on inside?” this day keeps eating away at me from this morning.

”You’ll see,” Did he just give me the all clear smile? Like the one before the changeling invasion? "Now come, we don't want to be late."

“No,” I made a face and sat on the ground, “I’m not moving until you tell me.”

“What’s wrong with him?” Shining asked Twilight.

“He just had a bad morning,” Twilight answered nonchalantly, “Just tell us already, so we can get this finished before noon," She seemed particularly irked as well, but suddenly her face brightened, "Maybe we can all have lunch together, just like old times.” She started jumping up and down at the prospect.

“Ok, Ok.” With a chuckle, Shining tried to calm his alicorn sister a bit, “yesterday we had a peculiar request in the day court; a bunch of teenage dragons came barging in demanding that we 'hand Spike over to them,' which of course Celestia made a quick work of by nearly blasting them out of the castle,” he nudged at me.

Teenage dragons? The only teenage dragons I know are…. uh oh, “Is one of those dragons a red scaled bully by the Garble?”

Shining nodded, “Yeah, how did you know that?”

“I ran into them during the dragon migration.”

“Might explain why they claim to know you so well.”

“So why am I asked to come here for?”

“Well, although there is no way in Tartaros of a chance that we'll send you away, it is regulation that you must be present for the Princess's decision, which will be given today.”

I don’t think I smiled so hard in my life before, I have to wonder why Celestia is always so cryptic about good news like that.

A little while later and we are standing in the throne room snickering, when Garble and two other of his goons were brought in, shackled. They look ridiculous.

Celestia was regal as always standing there as she faced them, “I do hope that a night in our dungeon have taught you a thing or two about courtesy.” She said all refined, while Twilight and I were about to burst into laughter as the teenagers quivered and shrieked at each of Celestia's words.

“Yes your highness,” wow, she must have smacked him real good to make Garble become so mellow, like a kitten.

“Now about your petition yesterday,” she pulled a scroll of paper in front of her, “you asked us to give custody of Spike the dragon to you, without giving us any reason for it, is that correct?”

“Yes.” Oh dear Celestia, he’s squeaking now.4.

“Due to lack or reason of doing so,” this is it, “I am going to have to refuse your petition,” now show me that disappointed face, “I am sorry.”

Why is he smiling?

“Your highness,”

Why does he sound calmer?

“I never said I don’t have a reason”

Where did that come from?

“I just didn’t think I needed it, until now.”

Oh no, there is that pit again.


1.he was kissing her, on the lips, STOP EMBARRASSING HIM >P

2.You can only imagine her disappointment for not learning anything new, the horror.

3.And yet Shining Armor enjoys hearing it every time

4.By now Spike isn't just rolling on the ground laughing, he is more like chocking on his last breath.