• Published 13th May 2014
  • 2,376 Views, 32 Comments

Twilight's Magic - BubbleyBathTub



When Twilight eventually wakes up, she isn't in her library. She isn't even in Ponyville. With a more minor case of amnesia and lots of questions, it becomes more and more clear, that Twilight isn't sane anymore.

  • ...
17
 32
 2,376

Somepony I used to know

The night was chilling upon the filly's back. Her grey coat ruffled as her body shivered.

"Be patient, my dear one. Patience, is key." The alicorn responded.

"But... we have been in the air forever." Silver Spoon said.

"You exaggerate. For a pony such as I, forever is trivial." Her dark wings beat in the clouds. "Besides, we are minutes from our destination."

"Finally..." the filly sighed in relief. "We can land."

"You know, this entire time I have solely done all of the work. You simply rode upon my back." The filly smiled in embarrassment. "Look under you my dear."

The filly carefully peeked over the alicorn's back. Thousands of buildings were lined up, and despite the night, it seemed the buildings were alive. Tiny sparkles shone in the distance, illuminating the entire city. In the jagged mountains thousands of ponies had carved giant palaces into the stone. Something however... seemed off.

"You might have noticed my dear child," The alicorn started, almost reading the filly's mind. "The city is alive not with ponies, but changelings."

The filly's body froze in shock, for she had never heard of such a species. And of course coming from xenophobic society, she expected the worse. "Changelings?"

"You need not fear us. We do not prey upon pony's themselves." The mention of pony gobbling did not help the filly calm down. The 'alicorn' rolled her eyes. "We feed on love dear child. It is in our best interest to keep you happy."

"But... how come I have never heard of 'changelings'?" Silver Spoon asked.

"We are more of a secretive species, but we are harmless. We all live in our own cities, and we as long as queens go, we live on our own."

"Wait..." the filly started to think. "That means there are more queens, like you?"

"Yes. There are many spread across Equestria. We only sometimes meet up, otherwise we mostly attack one another."

"That's awful. Why can't you all work together?"

"It is just not our species way. Do lions work together as a team?"

"I guess so, but why do you need me?" The filly asked the changeling queen.

"Patience dear child, knowledge will come with time." The 'alicorn' laughed, her sharp teeth shining white.


"What?" Twilight said, raising her head from a deep sleep. She noticed Rarity's absence first, and then remembered what had recently happened.

"Twilight!" Fluttershy shouted, glad to see her dearest friend was still okay.

"Ow..." Twilight's head was thrumming to the beat of her heart, each one hurting more than the last. "Why....?" Still in a state of shock, she tried to stand, bringing her head even closer to the light. Wait, Twilight panicked as the very first rays of the sunrise were rising closer and closer to her hooves.

"Twilight." Princess Luna brought her muzzle to Twilight's. "You have snapped out of your ..." Luna paused, thinking of the correct terminology for such an incident. "transformation." she said, somewhat indecisively.

"Luna... I don't know what came over me, but, once I saw you my head just filled with... with this darkness..." Twilight's headache only worsened with the effort of conjuring up the memory.

"Twilight, my beloved friend." Luna embraced the smaller unicorn. "I can only hope that you will be alright." She added, barely above a whisper, "I'm sorry."

The moment was ruined when a sliver of sun landed upon Twight's front hoof. She screamed and jerked in the firm grasp of the alicorn. It was only a moment before the alicorn let go in shock, stepping back to see the unicorn curled up on the floor, shivering. Twilight's eyes did not stray from were the beam landed across the floorboards. Her front hoof was dark, as it was burned, and Luna stood back, wide eyed and scared for what this could mean.

"Twilight Sparkle..." her voice quivered, as Luna started to step towards the small unicorn.

"Oh dear," Fluttershy was already grabbing blankets and draping them over the windows. The princess blinked in the sudden darkness, only half-seeing Fluttershy grabbing some cold water to nurse Twilight's wounds. "Are you okay Twilight?"

Twilight only nodded, fearing that if her mouth opened, she would scream. Her hoof stung when Fluttershy put the damp towel on it, but she only flinched.

"Twilight Sparkle..." Luna started again, trying the think of all the things she could say, but her mind came up blank.

"Oh no..." Fluttershy tried to talk to Twilight. "I guess since the sun is up now, you can stay in my house for today, maybe we could have some tea..." she said quietly, making small talk with the injured pony. "We could have a tea party! I'm sure I could convince Angel to have it with us, and we could read books together. Maybe we could send somepony to fetch some books from your library! I'm sure that would be fun." Twilight's ears perked at the mention of hooks, which Luna responded with a chuckle. Even if she was minorly possesed and hyper-allergic to the sun, she was still Twilight Sparkle.

"Twilight Sparkle... I am so sorry." Luna finished.

"Sorry?" the unicorn managed to gasp out, "Is there something you weren't telling us?" she said, reading though all of Luna's attempts to remain innocent.

"Well... you see. It was along time ago. You know the story where I was saddened by my daily struggles, and confronted Celestia... and it ended with me turning to Nightmare Moon." Luna's eyes were filled with worry. "There is a part however, that you may never had heard. I had help in my plan to destroy Celestia. And I made perhaps the worst mistake of my life in trusting a certain pegasus. A mistake that without Celestia, would have ruined Equestria forever."

Author's Note:

I had been reading alot of changeling stories recently, to get 'ideas' to base the changelings off of. Not to steal ideas, but kinda help create a more common changeling. (that's my reason.) Anyway, I am going to be taking alot of things from Of the hive, it's wonderful and I thought it told the most facts about their normal lives so... It's not stealing. It's just helping the community make a image of changelings. Yep. Not stealing.