• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 532 Views, 1 Comments

Soren The Alicorn Part 4: The Rift - KingNyroc15



Can a hero bring more harm than good?

  • ...
 1
 532

A Trapped Songbird

Author's Note:

Songs used:
"Diamonds" copyrighted by Rihanna.
"Falling Slowly" copyrighted by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova.

The watering hole was dead silent. Soren began to worry; he wasn't sure if these ponies wanted to rat him out or not. He wanted to teleport away or confront these mules, but before Soren could even consider a decision, a window shattered inside the building.

"There he goes!" the leader of the three big ponies exclaimed. "Get him!" The three ran out of the entrance and began chasing whoever just jumped through the window. Soren collapsed into a sitting position. He didn't realize he was holding his breath.

"You alright, friend?" asked one of the four ponies that helped with Soren's song.

"I'm your friend? You tell me this now?! I thought someone was going to rat me out," Soren exclaimed.

"I can't speak for everypony, but we sure weren't going to do that. You dodged a bullet there, son. What kind of singer thinks comin' here is a good idea anyway?"

"I didn't know ponies like those three even existed. Who were they?"

"They were part of the Gang. Their group ain't got a name. They been hasslin' this town for at least a year."

"And unicorns can't even stop them?"

"If a unicorn tries to mess with them, that gang will just attack the loved ones closest to that pony."

"This sounds like it can easily be stopped."

"Don't try nothing, except...Can you do me a favor since I helped you?"

"That's a good way to change the topic suddenly."

"Sorry, but this is more important. That mare that just left...she's an old friend o' mine. Her name's Sunny Star, and that gang has a bone to pick with her."

"You want me to check on her or something?" The stallion nodded. "Why me? I just met you!"

"Cuz she won't listen to folk like me. I bet she'll listen to a fellow artist. Plus, them ponies won't think twice about you walking around town. They shouldn't follow you."

"Shouldn't."

"Just do this for me, ya git." Soren sighed heavily. At least this gives him a chance to look around town for anything out of the ordinary.

"You can't expect me to gain her trust that easily. I need more than a common hobby."

"You're a singer. There's a particular song she likes, and I think if you sing it to her, she'll trust you."

"I hope you're right. I hate getting on mares' bad sides."

"You and every stallion on this planet. How fast can you memorize lyrics?"

"Fast enough."

"Good. Let me tell you what to sing and where to go."

----------------

The song Soren learned was actually well-known around this version of Trottingham. To his surprise, it has been passed down through certain families. What made Soren nervous was the fact that it's technically a love song. I can't believe I have to sing a love song to mare I don't even know! Celestia help me. The stallion also told Soren where Sunny usually hides while the Gang is looking for her. He said there's a small forest outside of town and that there's a waterfall somewhere in the middle of it. The colt himself has never been there, but he knows about it. Soren totally found that to be reassuring.

Soren had to use the sound of the waterfall to help locate the area. The forest was indeed fairly small, which probably helped him find the waterfall. It was maybe a few acres bigger than Ponyville. Landing in the brush that surrounded the open area at the base of the fall, Soren could hear a female voice. Assuming it was coming from the clearing, Soren poked his head out of cover. With the open area now in view, he could see a mare standing on a smooth, rocky platform at the base of the fall. The platform was a peninsula in a shallow, circular pond area.

Soren then looked at the mare herself. Sunny Star was a brilliant red crystal earth pony with an orange mane. Not only was Soren surprised to see another crystal pony, he was shocked to not see a cutie mark! Is this a recurring thing or am I just receiving major coincidences?

Soren's thoughts cut short when he hears a melodious voice vibrate through the air.


Shine bright like a diamond
Shine bright like a diamond

Find light in the beautiful sea
I choose to be happy
You and I, you and I
We’re like diamonds in the sky

You’re a shooting star I see
A vision of ecstasy
If you hold me, I’m alive
We’re like diamonds in the sky

I hope that we’d become one right away
Oh, right away
At first sight I felt the energy of sun rays
I saw the life inside your eyes

So shine bright, tonight, you and I
We’re beautiful like diamonds in the sky
Eye to eye, so alive
We’re beautiful like diamonds in the sky


Soren was beyond impressed by Sunny's voice. He couldn't remember the last time he heard someone sing that beautifully.


Hooves rise to the universe
As we moonshine and molly
Feel the warmth, we’ll never die
We’re like diamonds in the sky

You’re a shooting star I see
A vision of ecstasy
If you hold me, I’m alive
We’re like diamonds in the sky

At first sight I felt the energy of sun rays
I saw the life inside your eyes

So shine bright, tonight you and I
We’re beautiful like diamonds in the sky
Eye to eye, so alive
We’re beautiful like diamonds in the sky

Shine bright like a diamond
Shine bright like a diamond
Shine bright like a diamond


Sunny stopped singing; all that was heard was the pounding of the waterfall against the water below. Soren quickly realized that she sang a lot louder than the waterfall.

"You're quite the powerful singer aren't you?" Soren commented aloud as he stepped out of the brush.

"Wha?!" Sunny jumped. Seeing who it was, she kept her cool as she walked towards him. "What's it to you?"

"Nothing. Just keep those emotions with you." The two ponies met on the dirt ground surrounding the shallow pond.

"Why are you here?"

"To check on you. To make sure those thugs didn't find you."

"So you ran into them," she stated.

"Why do they hate artists? That's like hating life!"

"Somewhat recently in this town, artists were considered weak and worthless. They are constantly being sent away by that 'gang.' Once the artists leave, they are forced to fend for themselves. The only reason I'm still here is because of my ex."

"Can I meet the brave fellow?"

"I don't think you want to. He's the leader of that gang. I dated him before he became a son of a mule. Now I have to defend myself from them almost every day."

"Well I can help you defend yourself, and I would love to get rid of those colts in the process."

"Why should I even trust you? I don't even know why I'm telling all of my life problems to a pony I just met."

"Your words signify anger, but your eyes betray a different emotion." Sunny was taken aback. "Just give me a chance."

Soren clears his throat and begins singing. Of course, Sunny immediately recognizes the song and joins in on certain parts.


I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that

Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react

And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You'll make it now


Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black

You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now
Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing it loud


After the song eded, Soren and Sunny made eye contact with each other. She then lunged forward, wrapped her fore-legs around Soren's neck, and kissed him. He pushed her off.

"Never. Do that. Again," Soren said evenly. Sunny simply giggled.

"So what's a fine stallion like yourself doing in this dump?"

"I'm looking for Princess Celestia and Princess Luna."

"Who?"

Soren takes a very big inhale and exhale to calm himself.

"Please tell me that you're joking. Is there even a Celestia or Luna in this country?"

"Not that I know of. I highly doubt anyone else in this town would know anything either. I also doubt anyone would forget if there are princesses living in the country."

"Luna-dammit!"

"Woah, calm down, umm...What's your name?"

"Soren. Soren Melody. Just give me a moment. The past few weeks have been very straining on me." He sits down. Sunny sits next to him and brings him in for a half-hug. "Just let me calm down, please." She stops her hug.

Minutes passed before another word was uttered.

"If it's any consolation, I'm willing to accept your help," Sunny commented suddenly.

"If you are positive that you can trust your life in my hooves."

"Haha, this isn't that serious."

"If only that were true," he muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing. How can I help?"

"You c'n begin by sendin' Sunny over here, little colt," a new voice answered. Soren and Sunny turn towards the voice. A big pony, who Sunny commented was the gang leader, and two other colts were standing at the edge of the forest.

"Did you just call me little?" Soren asked irritatedly.

"Whatcha gonna do about it?" the leader stepped forward, chest puffed out to try and intimidate Soren. Soren, in return, got up close to stare him in the face.

"I'm going to give you a warning. Take heed because I'm not in the best of moods right now—" Soren was suddenly punched and landed on his back. The three stallions laughed at Soren, but they were soon quiet when they heard laughter coming from the pony on the ground. Laughing almost crazily, Soren picked himself up.

"Are you laughing about being knocked down?" the leader jokes.

"Yes...yes I am, but not for the reason you think. I'm laughing because you chose to act without thinking. I'm laughing because now I'm afraid I have to teach you a lesson."

"HAHAHA! You...teach us a lesson?" The three ponies laughed once again.

"He's not going to teach you a lesson...I am," Sunny warned. The stallions stopped laughing and looked at her with amused expressions.

"Oh really?" the leader replied mockingly. "My little Star is gonna hurt us?"

"Yes...really." Sunny's voice changed. Embers started swirling around her and her body became a bright, burning red. The embers soon turned into streams of fire and they enveloped Sunny. Seconds passed before Sunny Star transformed before everyone. Her coat changed into orange fire and her mane and tail changed into red fire. Her eyes were also red, as was the inside of her mouth.

"What the..." the leader began. Sunny sent streams of fire from her mane towards the colts. Although Sunny wasn't aiming for them, her attack was still stopped by a wall of water. Steam exploded from the wall, and the colts ran away. Sunny turned around and saw Soren, horn aglow with green aura as he glared sternly at the mare.

"Sunny...I don't know how this is possible right now...but what I do know is that no one deserves a fate like that. I've seen death...I lived it. It's not pretty, nor is it something you will be able to live with. Now tell me...how the hay are you made of fire?!" Soren voiced changed from serious to astounded as he asked the question.

Sunny changed back to normal then immediately laid on the ground. "Sorry...it's really exhausting to do."

"Sunny...you're not a unicorn..."

"I know, I know, it's weird. I just saw you stand up to them then you got hit and I felt guilty and I wanted to do something—"

"Sunny! It's alright. Just tell me why you can do that."

"The truth is...I don't know. I only found out about it two years ago. It only happens when I'm angry. It's hard to control when I'm in that form. Sometimes I'm scared to transform."

"Understandable. Hmm..."

"What?" Sunny stood up.

"This country...Equestria, is it?"

"Umm, yes?"

"Well it's not the Equestria I'm from, and I don't like that. Too many things are happening here, and I want to get to the bottom of it. That rift...it must have sent me to an alternate dimension or something."

"Whoa whoa whoa...other Equestria? A rift? Alternate dimensions?! What in Faust's name are you talking about?"

"There we go again with the Faust cursing. Is that the equivalent of Celestia or Luna in this Equestria? I guess it is. Anyway, you need not worry about those particular details. It has now become a goal of mine to piece together everything."

"Well we should get started then."

"We?"

"Can I go with you? I literally have nothing here. As of now, I'll probably be considered a freak, although I don't think the townsfolk will believe that an earth pony mare turned herself into a walking inferno."

"Can I call you Blazing Sun when that happens? You were as hot and as bright as one."

"Aww, you called me hot~." Sunny smiled intimately at him.

"Let's get one thing straight: I already have a mare that I hold near and dear. I had to leave her and as a result, I don't deserve her. At no point will I replace her. Understood?"

"You say that now~" Soren growled at her. "Umm...*whimpers*"

"I'm very shattered right now. Please don't pressure me. I may say or do something I will regret."

"Shattered?"

"It's a long story."

"You know, I don't think your 'shattered.' I think you're lonely. I'm not trying to be flirtatious right now. Can I join you so you can have company?"

"Maybe. It's going to be dangerous."

"As you can see, I can handle myself."

"You might die."

"I don't have anything."

"What about your life here? Your friends? Family?"

"They aren't really my friends. They just look out for me. As for family...I don't know where they are, if they're even alive."

"You're about as lost as me."

"So can I come?"

"Why not? You're right; I shouldn't be alone anymore. But I do have to warn you of one thing: I'm not a safe pony to be around. You'll go through things you can't even imagine. Also...I have no mercy."

"Obviously you do or else you wouldn't have saved that guy."

"I just saved him from you. As for me...I wouldn't hesitate to kill him."

"Then why save him from—" Sunny watched as Soren began walking away. She wasn't deterred by his vocalization of being around him, but she did find it rude that he didn't let her finish.