• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 532 Views, 1 Comments

Soren The Alicorn Part 4: The Rift - KingNyroc15



Can a hero bring more harm than good?

  • ...
 1
 532

A Town Called...

Author's Note:

Song used in this chapter: "Hey" copyrighted by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sanctum. The town made of what can be referred to as peace. It isn't a typical paradise like the other areas of Equestria, but it is home to many ponies, both settlers and travelers alike. Watering holes, casinos, and other means of entertainment can be found in this western-styled town. Quite often, one can find poor travelers sitting or laying around town. Some will even perform to earn some bits to get by.

A mare with a light grey coat, black mane and tail, and an orange stripe running through her mane loved to walk around town to help these travelers. Her name was Robin, and this has been her job for four years. Her goal was to save the life of one traveler some day. Robin likes to believe that she has already accomplished this goal, but there is no definite proof. It didn't matter, though; she loves to help them anyway. The sun was about to set as the light grey mare was just finishing her charitable run through Sanctum. Even though it was a relatively small town, sometimes it took a few hours to cover all the streets.

Robin walked away from a lone unicorn traveler after she was thanked. She turned a corner and noticed a group of ponies gathered around a shopping stand that she could barely see. As she walked closer to it, Robin heard the anger in the crowds' voices. Before she could proceed, Robin heard a new noise come from behind her. She heard a guitar being played. 'That's a first. What traveler brought a guitar?' she thought, amazed. Guitars are rarely seen in Sanctum. No pony knows how to play them, or any string instrument for that matter.

The lovely guitar sounds were on the same street as she was. Robin quickly saw the cloaked pony sitting against a building, using his hooves to play the instrument. 'He plays like he has done this millions of times...' Robin continued to walk closer, and she soon realized that the notes being played sounded sad. Not only that, the pony began singing.


Won't somepony come along
And teach me how to keep it alive?
To survive.

Come along and show me something
That I never knew in your eyes.
Take away the tournicate.

I used to be so full of my confidence,
I used to know just what I wanted and just where to go.
More than ever I could use a coincidence,
But now I walk alone and talk about it when I know.

Hey, oh yeah, how long?
I guess I ought to walk away,
Hey, oh yeah, so long...
What you gonna do today?


'He sounds so sad...like he's lost,' Robin thought as she stood near him and continued to listen to his song. 'His guitar skills are impressive.'


I don't wanna have to, but I will,
If that's what I'm supposed to do.
We don't wanna set up for the kill,
But that's what I'm about to do.


Let it on, I'll cut you over when you're screaming into my soul.
Hard to own.
Anyway, I wanna let you know that everything is on hold.
What you gonna do to me?

You used to be so warm and affectionate.
All the little things I used to hear my fairy say,
But now you're quick to get into your regret.
I'll take the fall and now you got to give it all away.

Hey, oh yeah, how long?
I guess I ought to walk away,
Hey, oh yeah, so long...
What you gonna do today?


I don't wanna have to, but I will,
If that's what I'm supposed to do.
We don't wanna set up for the kill,
But that's what I'm about to do.


Breaking was heard down the street from Robin. She turned towards the commotion and saw three ponies, who each had two saddlebags attached to their sides, running from the shopping stand that was hidden from her view earlier.

"Thieves!" shouted a random stallion. "Somepony stop them!" Robin wanted to comply, but she was no fighter. She heard the notes from the traveler's guitar increase in volume, so she looked at him. He was now standing up while using his magic to continue playing his song.


Hey, what would you say if I stayed?
Stayed for a while if I may.
Say it again and I'll come around,
But not for the last time.

Hey, what would you say if I changed?
I'll change everything but my name.
Play it again and I'll come around,
But not for the last time.


The traveler started walking towards the approaching thieves as he played a guitar solo that fit the song very well. What interested Robin was that as the traveler played, he created two clones of himself that also had guitars. In unison, all three of them played their guitars and sang. At the same time, the sound emanating from them intensified.


You used to be so warm and affectionate
I used to know just what I wanted and just where to go.
And now you're quick to get into your regret;
And now I walk alone and talk about it when I know.

Hey, oh yeah, how long?
I guess you gotta walk away;
Hey, oh yeah, so long...
What you gonna do today?

Hey, oh yeah, how long?
I guess you gotta get away;
Hey, oh yeah, so long...
What you gonna do today?


While he repeated the last portion of his song, the traveler and his clones created a strong sound wave with their guitars. It became so powerful that the three colts couldn't run against it and were flung onto their backs. A few ponies from the crowd caught up to the thieves and captured them. Awestruck, Robin could only stare at the traveler after he easily stopped three ponies by himself. Not knowing what else to do, she tapped on the traveler's shoulder. He turned around to face her, but she couldn't see under his cloak.

"Who are you?" Robin asked the stallion. He placed his guitar down and removed his hood. She gasped as she looked upon a white pony with a black mane. "Y-Y-You're..."

"Soren Melody, at your service."

"It all makes sense..."

"How I stopped those juveniles? I guess it does. Not many unicorns can perform feats of magic like that, especially the cloning spell. Twilight is just learning how to do it."

"You're the Elemental Guardian..."

"Are you alright, Miss...?"

"Robin. My name is Robin."

"Nice to meet you, R—"

"Excuse me," another voice interrupted. Soren and Robin looked at the older mare addressing them. "You're the traveler that stopped those kids, weren't you?"

"Yes...?"

"And aren't you the...?"

"Yes, I'm the Elemental Guardian. Please don't make a big—"

"EVERYONE! IT'S THE GUARDIAN SOREN!" Soren flinched; he really didn't want this right now.

"Quick, follow me," whispered Robin to Soren.

Before the random mare could turn around to face them again, Soren and Robin were already plenty of yards away from her. Stunned with confusion, the mare stood there as ponies ran by her, wanting to meet the famous Guardian and alicorn. Quickly gathering herself, she followed suit.


--------------


"pant pant pant I think we lost them," Robin commented, trying to catch her breath. Her and Soren had to run for ten minutes before finally losing the fans. They were now hiding in an alleyway in between a few stone buildings, the only light being created by the crescent moon. "I didn't think you were that famous. I only recognized you from your victory at the Battle of the Nyrs."

"Don't...mention that day again. Got that?" Soren turned his back to her and walked a few steps forward before stopping. He wanted a little space.

"I'm...I'm sorry. May I ask why?"

"Never." Robin sat down, ears back, and hung her head. Soren looked back at the sad mare; he sighed. He walked over to her and sat beside her. "I'm sorry I snapped," he apologized, draping his leg around her in a half-hug. "It's just that...I've been through a lot...more than anypony knows. Things...hurt me, and I can never forget them. I had to leave my home just to discover what it means to be a hero."

"How long have you been on your journey?"

"Couple of days. I don't even know where I am."

"You're in Sanctum."

"Sanctum? How far is that from Canterlot? By the way, what year is it?" Robin gave him a strange look.

"Canterlot? I've never heard of that place. As for the year, it's 1005." Soren's eyes widened, and he broke the half-hug.

"So Canterlot...isn't a city?"

"I don't know, is it? Is something wrong?" Soren just sat there, thinking about that rift that sucked in him and the TARDIS.

"Well that's not good."

"What isn't?"

"It's complicated."

"I'm smart."

"Very complic—"

"Shh!" Robin interrupted as she shoved a hoof into Soren's mouth. Soren scowled but quickly noticed that Robin was looking out of the alley. She was looking at a filly who was passing by. The filly was a crystal pony! She had a light red coat and a dark red, curly mane and tail.

"Who's...?"

"SHH!" The two ponies stood there and watched as the filly looked around. Upon seeing no one, she ran in a certain direction, out of sight of Soren and Robin. Soren removed Robin's hoof and both to the ground.

"Can you let me talk?" he asked irritatedly. "Who was that?"

"That was Ruby. Come on."

"But...I need to...what about...Ughh." Soren gave up and decided to follow Robin.