• Published 20th Apr 2014
  • 2,057 Views, 45 Comments

More than just a Feathered Friend - MittenPatty



Gilda has some trouble dealing with her new feelings for Dash. Meanwhile, Twilight learns about the magic of emotion.

  • ...
13
 45
 2,057

Through Thick and Thin

Chapter 7

Rainbow Dash tapped her hoof impatiantly outside her home. The police had told her not to enter until Gilda had cleared out her things. This is stupid, they can't kick me out of my own house! She wasn't exactly mad at the griffon anymore, she was just, confused. Gilda has a crush on me. ME! But why? The cyan mare stared up to the sky, her emotions a mix.

"Miss. Dash, you can come in now." an officer tapped the Pegasus on the shoulder, causing her to jump with a squeak.

"Huh? Oh, right." she shook her head trying to rid it of the strange feelings. She trotted past the stallion with a flick of her tail.

"About time, too." RD tried to get her spunk back by acting incompetent, but just didn't feel it anymore. Entering the mansion, she looked around for a griffon. A gasp erupted from the staircase as the cyan mare walked in. Looking up, Rainbow saw Gilda standing there with two officers accompanying her. They just stared at eachother for what seemed like hours, until a stallion coughed breaking the silence.

"W-we should go." Gilda said softly. No, don't go! Dash desprately wanted to scream for her to stay, but couldn't bring herself to to it. As the griffon passed, the cyan mare swore she saw tears glistening in her eyes. An officer tipped his hat to the Pegasus, before closing the door leaving her alone. Dash just sat there, watching the entrance as if Gilda was going to burst through and say the words she had earlier.

"I love you." the Pegasus mouthed. It felt weird, talking about a girl like that, even more so due to the fact it was Gilda. As she flew to her room, Dash started to miss the griffon more and more. What's happening to me?

________________________________________________________

Gilda sat on the bus in silence. She sighed, listening to clanking of the wheels. A stallion to her side quietly read a newspaper, whil the mare next to her held a sleeping baby. The griffon peered over the unicorn's shoulder, trying to get a better view of the foal. It was a gray filly, snuggling close to her mother. The pony noticed Gilda peeking at her baby and turned to let her see. The griffon smiled as the tiny unicorn yawned and stretched her tiny legs.

"She's beautiful." Gilda said softly. The mare looked down at her child.

"Thank you." she whispered. The griffon sat back in her seat and closed her eyes. I wonder if I'll ever be a mom. The bus squealed to a stop, throwing Gilda out of her seat.

"Oof!" She stumbled to her feet and rubbed her head. Ugh, I landed on my face... She exited the vehicle and looked around. The landing bay looked as busy as it did when she first arrived. Glida walked up the crowded stairs up to her reserved spot. The griffon handed fer form to the ticket taker. He read it silently, glancing up frequently. The stallion nodded and gave back the paper.

"Wait here." he instructed and trotted away.

Gilda stood in her area, watching as Pegasi took off around her. They departed the platform gracefully, soaring higher and higher until they were hidden fom view.

"Ahem," a gruff cough sounded behind her. The griffon turned to see the ticket taker standing with some new objects. He handed them to her. A water bottle, a passport, and small bag. Gilda opened the pouch, to see it was full of bits. Her mouth gaped at the amount and looked up at the stallion.

"I-I can't take this," she stammered. "It's too much." the stallion smiled.

"It's okay," he reassured her. "You need it more than I do." with that he turned and trotted off, but not before he gave a small wave.

"Good luck!" he called back to the griffon. Gilda sighed as she watched him go, then looked down at her claw. It was still clutching the bag. She gulped and turned to take-off pad. She spread her wings and closed her eyes. Goodbye Ponyville, Fluttershy, Twilight. Gilda took off. Goodbye Dash.

___________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash paced back and forth, her pet tortoise watching in silence. The Pegasus groaned.

"What am I going to do, Tank?" she asked the reptile. "I'm so confused! Ever since Gilda admitted her feelings towards me, I just, I can't think striaght!" She plopped onto her bed with a sigh. Maybe I should go tell Twilight how I feel. No, that's stupid, she would just call me lesbian. The cyan mare scrunched up her pillow. I don't like Gilda back, right? She shook her head. No way! I'm into dudes! Rainbow then started to recall all the times she'd been confused about her sex interests. She would sometime catch herself staring at her friends flanks, or even wondering which one would be the perfect special somepony. Of course, she always blew it off like it was nothing, but now the Pegasus was unsure. She never really got into those pointless conversations with the other five about the cutest stallion in town, and how she hated going to the salon. All of the factors pointed to her being into girls, but Dash just wouldn't accept it. Maybe I SHOULD tell Twi. RD got out of bed and flew downstairs. she walked over to the front door and held out a hoof to open it. Suddenly, she froze, staring at the knob like it was a poisonous snake. Hesitently, she grabbed it and slowly turned. The door squeaked open revealing the quiet outdoors. Rainbow took a deep breath and stepped outside. She took off, heading towards Golden Oaks. She'll understand, right? That's what friends do, they accept you for who you are! Her mind was like a bumble bee, buzzing with emotion and fear. I don't know why, but I wish Gilda was here more than ever now.

_________________________________________________________

Twilight levitated a book into it's place. She usually organized the library on Sunday's, but had to put it aside for the trial. She picked up another novel and floated it up to shelf. Moving onto informational books, she saw something that caught her eye. Grabbing the hard-cover, she read the title aloud.

"Dealing with your Lesbian Friend." The unicorn sighed and shelved the book. She remembered how Dash had stormed out of the courthouse, saying she was going after Gilda. The purple mare had been using an emotional sensing spell, and Rainbow's auora had been anything but angry. She was confused, anxious, and scared, probably fearful for the griffon. She was out the door before anyone could ask her how she felt, so to most it was a mystery. The Pegasus hadn't been seen anywhere after that, considering she locked the door to her house and wouldn't let anypony in.

Twilight shook her head and sat down on a nearby couch. I wish she would just talk to me. Suddenly, a loud rapping noise erupted from the front door. The unicorn jumped with a squeal and fell to the floor. She got to her feet grumbling and headed to the knocking. This better be important. She opened the door to see Rainbow Dash, shuffling her hooves. Twilight gasped and threw her arms around the pegasus.

"You're okay!' she cried happily. Dash shoved her off.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" she snapped. The purple was taken back by her friend's sudden aggression.

"I was just worried about you, that's all," the unicorn said, hurt. "You don't have to yell at me." the Pegasus said nothing as Twilight spoke.

"Did you need something?" she asked. The cyan mare nodded weakly. Twilight could tell she was uncomfortable, and tried to be as nice as possible.

"Well, would you like to come in?" the Pegasus nodded again and stepped inside. The purple mare shut the door and trotted over to Dash, who was now sitting on the couch in silence. The unicorn sat next to her.

"So, what is it that you want?" she asked. The Pegasus sighed and looked up.

"Advice." she said solemly. Twilight beamed.

"Really? Well, I can totally help with that!" she smiled and levitated some textbooks."What do you need info on? Math, History, English..."

"Love." Dash interrupted without emotion. The purple mare dropped the books on the floor.

"What?" she asked, confused. "I don't think I heard you correctly." The cyan mare stared at her, her eyes filled with urgency and hope.

"I said I need advice about love." she repeated her request, this time more desperately. The unicorn rubbed her head, becoming panicked.

"Rainbow, I-I," she stammered nervously. "Why do you need to know about that?" Without warning, the Pegasus jumped from her seat and pulled the purple mare close.

"I think I like Gilda!" she cried, her voice cracking. "I always thought I was straight, but then she," the cyan mare paused.

"She said she loved me, and now I don't know what to think anymore!" Twilight was appalled. Could she really be attracted to girls? To Gilda?

"Look Dash, I," she tried to think of the correct thing to say."I have no idea how you feel right now, but," she stopped, seeing her friend was desparate for answers. "You should follow your heart, if you love her, no one will judge you." The Pegasus became frantic.

"That's the thing!" she cried. "Everyone thinks I'm into guys, but if I show up with another chick, what will everyone think?" The information from the book started to flow back into Twilight's mind, and she suddenly knew exactly how to handle the situation.

"They won't care." she said sternly. The cyan mare stopped panicking and glanced back at the unicorn.

"W-what?" she whimpered.

"Many ponies in Equestia are homosexual." she explained softly. "Remember Braeburn, Applejack's cousin? He came out of the closet last month. No one minds." Rainbow stood there, staring at her hopefully.

"A-are there any lesbians in Ponyville?" she asked quietly. Twilight rubbed her chin.

"I think Lyra and Bon Bon are together now," she implied. "Why?" The cyan mare smiled and dove into the surprised unicorn.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she exclaimed over and over again hugging her friend tightly before bolting out the door. The purple mare groaned and struggled to her feet.

"Your welcome?"

_______________________________________________________

Gilda pushed the door to her apartment open. She threw her luggage aside and plopped on the bed with a moan. The flight had been horrible, full of regret and despair. The griffon wanted nothing but to hold Dash in her arms, having someone to love and call her own. She stretched her wings, feeling a satisfying crack. Gilda sat up and looked around. The room was dirty and unkempt, probably because she hadn't been there all week. The griffon sighed and got up to unpack. She dug around her bag, searching for her photo of Dash. It wasn't there. Frowning, Gilda opened the other briefcase and looked through that one. Nothing. The griffon became frantic and started to throw the contents out, hoping to see the picture frame.

"No, no, no, no, no!" she cried as the last item was tossed out. Gilda nearly turned the place upside-down trying to find it, all while screaming the Pegasi's name.

Eventually she gave up, and collapsed on the ground sobbing loudly.

Hours later...

Gilda sat silently on the shower floor, letting the water drizzle down her beak. She always felt better after bathing, and now she was in need of some relief. The only memory she had of Dash was missing, and she couldn't see the cyan mare in another year. Her tears mixed with the shower dropletts as they fell down the drain. The griffon wiped her eyes, only to have them fill with liquid again.

"Dashie, I miss you so much..." she whispered to herself. "I'm so sorry for what I did, I just want to see you again." The griffon gasped as knocks sounded from the other room. Grumbling, she turned off the water and grabbed a towel.

"Probably just the neighbors." she murmered as she dried off.

"Coming!" Gilda called and dropped the cloth. She walked over to the door and opened it with a gasp.

"Da-" The Pegasus cut her off with a kiss. Gilda's eyes closed as they're lips interlocked, returning the favor. They wrapped their arms around eachother, silently appreciating the warm embrace. Finally, Rainbow Dash let go. They both stared at eachother lovingly until the cyan mare whispered with a smile.

"Hey, Gene."

Author's Note:

The End!
It's been a long journey for Dash and Gilda, but the story is over.
I hope you all enjoyed my fic, and stay tuned for another!

Comments ( 11 )

are you going to write a story about the 3 pony or what ever that is in the cover art for this story

4337383
No, I don't think so. That was just one of the only images of Dash and Gilda together I could find. :rainbowderp:
Sorry!

4337412 ok and that ok

She never really got into those pointless conversations with the other five about the cutest stallion in town, and how she hated going to the salon.

I'm sorry but... well, how are either of these things any indication of her preferred bed warmer?:rainbowhuh:

I suppose because she didn't enjoy doing feminine things and was usually doing things a dude would do.
( like staring at flanks )

A sequel?

4339506
No, but you can imagine what happens next. :ajsmug:

4341710 Hey, that was a really great story! I love how you have almost written a script for the actual 5th episode from season 1, and the started developing your story from there, making it dramatic, intriguing and totally interesting to read. Thank you so much for writing it, it was a great experience.

P.S. If you're strictly against writing a sequel, you might at least consider including the couple of RD and Gilda in your other fics as the side characters. That would be nice.

It's a good story but the author omits so many words throughout the story like in this chapter "the purple was taken back by her friend's sudden aggression." I'm assuming the author waned to say purple unicorn/mare but left it out.

6349591

Lol, I don't know why I got confused like that. Thanks for the correction. :P

6349591
What would twelve blue moons be then?

Login or register to comment