• Published 20th Apr 2014
  • 2,057 Views, 45 Comments

More than just a Feathered Friend - MittenPatty



Gilda has some trouble dealing with her new feelings for Dash. Meanwhile, Twilight learns about the magic of emotion.

  • ...
13
 45
 2,057

A Griffon and a Pony walk into a Bar

Author's Note:

3rd chapter is finally here!
WARNING: this one contains a scene of violence. You have been warned...
Muah ha ha...

Chapter 3

Gilda took a long sip from her glass. The bartender trotted over with a refill of cider ready for her. The griffon looked up at him.

"I- I can't afford it." The unicorn smiled and levitated the drink in front of her.

"Don't worry about it," he said as Gilda lifted the glass to her beak. "It's on the house." She drank the cold cider, feeling the liquid slide her throat. She put her drink down and looked out the bar window. It was dark. She glanced back at the glass. Am I really about to do this? Admitting her affection towards Rainbow Dash seemed so simple when she left the motel. Now it looked almost impossible. Gilda scooted out her chair and got up to leave. She dropped some extra bits on the counter as a tip before the griffon stepped outside into the cool night air. She checked the map the bartender had given her. Ponyville was only a few miles away. She could probably make it after being hydrated. Gilda took off heading South, hoping the flight wouldn't be difficult.

Soaring through the sky, the griffon looked for any sign of life down below. It was mostly grassland, and aside from a few trees there really wasn't anything. She checked the map again, squinting at it in the dark. She was getting closer. With her spirits raised a bit, Gilda kept on going.

As time went by the griffon tried to bide her time. She thought of jokes, enjoyed the scenery, and even attempted practice shots with her crush.

"Dash, I think I love you." Gilda shook her head. That won't do, it's too straight-forward. She tried again.

"Hey, Dash?" the griffon thought for a moment. "I've gone lesbo for you." She sighed. That one was stupid. Rainbow would just laugh at her if she said that. Gilda flew on, trying to forget about it.

____________________________________________________________________

Twilight frantically flipped through all of her books, searching for an explanation. How could this happen? I thought the griffon hated Rainbow Dash! She can't possibly be in LOVE with her! Groaning, the unicorn tossed her books aside and started pacing. What should I do? Should I tell her? No, I can't do that, Gilda has to say it herself.

Spike came in with a cup of tea. The baby dragon had been worried about the purple mare ever since she teleported back all worked up.

"Um, Twilight?" he interrupted her with a quiet voice. The unicorn glanced down at him. Spike waddled towards her and held out the cup.

"Here, I brought you some tea," Twilight levitated the drink out of his claws, studying it. The dragon twiddled his thumbs.

"Noticed you've been stressed out lately, so I got you something." The unicorn smiled and patted the dragon on the head.

"Thank you, Spike." she praised her assistant and took a sip. The dragon was right, after she drank the tea she felt refreshed and could think clearly again. Almost instantly, Twilight had an idea. She looked around library for the photo Dash had given her. She found it on top of a pile unsent scrolls. Using her magic, she carefully took the picture out of the frame. Spike watched her examine it closely

"What are you looking for?" he asked. The unicorn found what she wanted, and showed it to the baby dragon. On the back of the photo there was a message, presumably from Rainbow to Gilda.

Dear Gilda,
You're my best friend in the whole world!
I hope you keep this picture to remember me by.
I'll miss you when I'm in Cloudsdale!

Love, Rainbow Dash

Twilight figured they must've done some sort of photo exchange before Dash moved away. That must mean the Pegasus had one from the griffon.

"Spike, take a letter." she instructed her assistant. "But this time, send it to Rainbow Dash."

___________________________________________________________

Gilda walked into the all too familiar street of Ponyville. She had made it to her destination, and was now looking for somewhere to sleep until the morning. She strolled down the empty road, trying to find a place that would hide her from criminals.

The griffon eventually found a large cardboard box surrounded by newspaper. She didn't like being reduced to staying on the streets,
but she had no other option. The griffon slinked over to the trash, not wanting to be seen. Curling up into the box, Gilda pulled up a dry newspaper and covered herself with it. When was relatively comfortable, the griffon closed her eyes and began to drift off to sleep.

Gilda's eyes slowly opened. It was still very dark out, so she didn't know why her body woke up. Suddenly, she heard a voice coming her way. Shrinking into her box, the griffon sat in silence and waited for the pony to pass. But something wasn't right. The voice she heard was too familiar. Gilda swore she heard it before, and her eyes widened as she recognized the mare. Stepping out of her mini-home, the griffon peered around the corner to get a better view.

"Cuz all I really need's a smile, smile, smile," Pinkie Pie sang to herself. She didn't normally go out this late, but Fluttershy called her talking about a nightmare or something. As a good friend, the party pony promised she would come over and try to cheer her up. She was nearly at the edge of town, when she heard shuffling in a nearby ally way. Stopping her song, Pinkie stared at the empty place.

"Hello?" She called.

Gilda scowled as her suspicions were confirmed. It WAS the brat who had caused her so much pain. The griffon's anger only grew as memories of the cruel pranks that were played on her flooded back into her head. Gilda's mind was filled with so much hate for the pony, she couldn't think straight. Maybe she was in with love Dash, too. What if she's already dating her! Gilda could imagine the pink party pony sharing eskimo kisses with Rainbow at sunset. The twerp had to pay for even THINKING about touching her soon-to-be marefriend. Her lover. Her Dashie. And just like that, Gilda snapped.

With a huge roar the griffon launched herself at Pinkie Pie, who had made the mistake of wandering closer into the ally. Pinkie screamed as Gilda's huge claws dug into her back. With a grunt, the griffon picked up the terrified mare and flung her deeper down the musky hallway. A sickening crack was heard as the party pony crashed into the far wall.

Sobbing, Pinkie looked up at the outraged griffon, who had walked over in large strides. Gilda had all the time she needed. As the griffon came closer, moonlight shone on her face, revealing her identity. The pink mare's eyes widened with shock as she realized who her attacker was.

"G-Gilda?" she whimpered. The griffon lunged forward snarling, and picked Pinkie up by her neck. She squeezed hard, feeling the satisfying crunch of the pony's airways. Pinkie screeched with pain before going limp in Gilda's arm. The griffon's eyes glowed with pride as she dropped the lifeless body.

"Hey!" Gilda spun around to see a stallion galloping towards her. The party pony's scream must've alerted him of the attack. The griffon quickly spread her wings and took off, leaving the unicorn to deal with the bloody mess she left.

______________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash flew as quickly as she could to the downtown hospital. The Pegasus had just heard about the attack last night from Twilight, who was heading there herself. The unicorn was in such a panic she forgot to tell her who it was that got mauled, but she was in tears when she told her so the cyan mare figured he or she was important to her. Rounding a corner, Dash flapped her wings faster trying to gather more speed.

Arriving at the hospital, Rainbow noticed a huge crowd gathering at the front doors. This was no normal attack. The Pegasus located Twilight at the back of the crowd, along with her other friends. The cyan mare didn't see Pinkie Pie anywhere, which was odd. She should be here, trying to brighten to mood. She landed in front of them, and saw they were all crying. Rarity levitated a box of tissues that everyone was taking from. She trotted up to Fluttershy, who seemed to be doing the worst. The Pegasus was curled in a ball, whimpering in her long, pink mane.

"Hey, Flutters," Dash said trotting up to her. "You okay?" The yellow mare slowly looked up at her. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying, and her hair was sticking to her face. Rainbow winced. She wasn't looking so hot. The cyan mare tried something else.

"Do you know where Pinkie Pie is?" She asked. "I don't see her anywhere." Fluttershy's lip quivered. Without warning, the Pegasus began sobbing loudly. Leaving the pony to mourn, Dash went over to Twilight and asked her where her pink friend was. The unicorn stared at her, tears streaming down her face.

"Pinkie, is," she began. Rarity blew her nose and excused herself, not wanting to hear the answer. Applejack was off to the side, squeezing her eyes shut as she prepared for Rainbow's reaction. Fluttershy sat in silence. Twilight took a deep breath, and continued.

"Pinkie is up in that building,laying in a hospital bed connected to tubes and wires." Fluttershy let out a sob.

"She almost died last night, Dash." The cyan mare's heart skipped a beat.

"No," she murmured taking a step back. "Not Pinkie." Rarity put a hoof on her shoulder.

"Darling, you couldn't do anything to stop-." Rainbow shoved her off.

"I'LL KILL EM'!" She screeched taking flight. Twilight sighed and used her magic to restrain her. "NO, LEMME GO!" the Pegasus kicked and thrashed, powerless against the mystic force.

"Rainbow, ya need to calm down." Applejack soothed. "Pinkie's alive, and that's what we care about." Dash fought back even harder, now with fresh tears flowing down her cheeks.

"I WANT TO SEE HER!" She cried, "PINKIE!" As Twilight struggled to hold the screaming Pegasus, she felt a hoof on her shoulder.

"Let her go, Twilight," Fluttershy said softly. "If she wants to see her, don't keep her from her friend." The unicorn looked at Rainbow, considering Fluttershy's request. The cyan mare was fighting for her freedom, eager to get by Pinkie's side. She had began to cry, calling out for the party pony. Twilight sighed, and released her friend.

Realizing she was free, Dash stopped fighting and slowly descended to the ground. She turned and hugged Twilight, pulling her close.

"Thank you." she whispered, and took off towards the front. Pushing past reporters and civilians, the Pegasus pulled open the doors and ran up to the receptionist.

"Which room is Pinkie Pie in?" She asked urgently. Nurse Snowheart looked at her blankly.

"Friend or family?" She asked glumly. Rainbow swallowed.

"Family." She replied. The nurse grumbled about something before pointing towards a staircase.

"Up there, third door to the left."

"Thanks," Dash said to her before flying up the stairs, where Pinkie was waiting for a friend.

_________________________________________________________________________

Gilda stretched and yawned. She felt like she hadn't had any sleep. The griffon felt around for the piece of newspaper she was under, but couldn't find it. She opened her eyes in confusion and found that she wasn't even in her box. Or the alleyway. Gilda looked around, astonished that she was now on the roof of a building.

"H-how did I get here?" she murmured.

Her heart rate began to quicken as the griffon began to the recall the events that occurred last night. She shuddered, remembering the feeling of the pony's neck breaking, of the sticky blood on her claws. Wait a minute.

Slowly, she raised her trembling talon to her face. It was covered in the dried, red liquid. As she stared in horror, Gilda began to hyperventilate, taking in sharp gasps of air. I killed her. I'm a murderer. She covered her face with her claws and sobbed. Pinkie was dead, all thanks to her. The griffon didn't know why she did it. I was just mad at her, I didn't want to hurt her!

Eventually Gilda calmed down. She wiped the tears from her face, spread her wings and took off. She flew above the clouds, going higher and higher. Soon she was at an altitude no pony could handle. She stayed there for a bit, enjoying the view and feeling the wind rustling her feathers. She sighed and looked down. Rainbow would never love a killer like her.

Then the griffon let go. She began to fall, speeding increasingly faster towards the ground. She closed her eyes.

"Good bye, Dash," she whispered. "I love you." As the griffon prepared for impact, she felt a sudden tug. She began to descend slower, feeling the brush of feathers against her back. Glancing up, she saw a flash of a pink mane before a yellow wing swat her in the face. The Pegasus whimpered.

"A little help?" She groaned, lifting the griffon's weight. "If you don't mind..." Gilda began to flap her huge wings, helping the mare hold her up. When they reached the ground, Gilda walked over to a nearby field and sat on the dirt. She stared at the green grass below her, recovering from what she was about to do. Suddenly, the griffon felt a hoof lifting her head, bringing her eye to eye with the pony who saved her life.

"Lets get you some water," Fluttershy soothed, stroking Gilda's feathers.

___________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash sat by Pinkie's bed, staring at her. She couldn't believe someone would DO this to her! Everyone on town adored the party pony. But here she was, laying in a hospital bed connected to a water bag and heart monitor. As Dash watched her friends chest slowly move up and down, sleeping peacefully, she remembered what the doctor had told her earlier.

"When she was taken in her condition was critical." Docter Stable informed Rainbow. "We're doing the best we can, but we don't know every detail." Dash sat in silence, stroking Pinkie's mane. She looked so soft and delicate wearing the brace around her neck. The doctor swallowed.

"She was beaten up pretty bad," He continued. "The attacker broke her spine and fractured her airways. She's connected to a machine that breaths for her right now." The cyan mare looked up.

"Will she be the same as before?" Dash asked solemly. Stable gulped. He was afraid she would ask that.

"W-well, no," He tried to lay this on her gently. "She'll probably be put in a wheelchair until her back fully recovers." Rainbow stiffened.

"How long will that be?" she started to panic. She couldn't imagine Pinkie Pie, the most energetic pony she knew, rolling around in a mobile chair. She was supposed to be active, bouncing around throwing parties!

"I imagine in maybe a few years," the Doctor said softly. Dash just sat there, unmoving. "I'll just leave you two alone." Stable walked of the room and shut the door slowly, leaving the mares in peace.

The Pegasus began getting teary-eyed, knowing her friend would have to sit on the sidelines and watch while the others carried on with their everyday activities. She collapsed on the bed sobbing, burying her face in Pinkie's candy scented mane.

"I'm sorry, It's all my fault!" She howled, "I couldn't get there fast enough, please forgive me!" as the cyan mare wept by her friend, she felt movement under the covers. The Pegasus bolted upright, and looked at the bed.

"D-Dash?" a small voice squeaked from under the sheets. Rainbow's heart nearly jumped out of her chest.

"Pinkie!" She cried hugging the party pony gently. "Y-you're awake!" In the commotion and reunion of her friend that had been asleep for the day, RD nearly forgot Doctor Stable's message.
"If she shows any sign of life, immediately ring the buzzer calling for the nurse," He instructed. "Too much excitement could damage her again."

The Pegasus fumbled for the button with tears of joy streaming down her face. She found it under the bed and pressed it repeatedly, overjoyed at Pinkie's revival.

"She's awake!" She hollered, "She's awake and she's alive!"