• Published 20th Apr 2014
  • 2,654 Views, 142 Comments

On The Wings of Wind - Chazonic



When an adopted pegasus stallion with no memories of his early colthood travels to ponyville in search of his place, will he find the friendship he never knew existed? or will his secret be the ruin to his new life?

  • ...
13
 142
 2,654

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28 - Lesson Unlearned (Lesson Zero)

As I slowly drifted back into the waking world, I became aware of two soft breathing noises to my right. When I open my eyes, I see Fluttershy curled up with Scootaloo in-between us, still sleeping peacefully.

I smile at the sight. Last time I woke up with Scootaloo in my bed, I was worried it would be taken the wrong way. Now that she's my newly adopted little sister, I no longer felt it was... wrong, in a way. Plus, I get to bask in the adorable sight that is seeing two sisters sleeping with one-another.

Shifting around so that I wouldn't wake them up, I check my watch. It was still early in the morning, about 7:15 AM. Scoots didn't have school until 8:30 and I felt it would be a waste if I didn't let her sleep as much as possible. I quickly got out of bed without waking them up and made sure they were properly tucked in before heading downstairs.

"Good morning, Sunshine." I look over to see my mom having a cup of tea at the table with dad. "How did your new little sister sleep?"

"Still sleeping, I didn't have the heart to wake her up just yet."

Dad chuckled quietly. "That sounds like something I would say."

Mom shook her head in amusement. "Of course, he's your son after all."

Thinking she still didn't consider herself part of the family, I quickly say, "Your still my mom as well!"

"Well no... at least not yet."

This confused me. "What?"

"Well... we didn't know when to tell you since everything has been crazy but I guess now is a good time. Your dad and I are dating."

I gaped at her, unsure what to say, which got an amused laugh out of both of them. "Wait, when did this happen?"

Dad spoke up this time. "I-it happened right before Equestria got hit by incredibly random weather. We wanted to tell you but, like Harp said, we couldn't find the time when everything crazy started happening."

"Ah... well... uh..."

Mom laughed again. "Are you shocked over the fact that your adoptive mother will eventually become your mother-in-law?"

She fluttered her eyes at me, which broke me out of my shocked trance and made me double facehoof. "Right, just be sure to let Fluttershy and Scootaloo know as well."

"Will do. Anyways, is there anything you want for breakfast? And before you say anything regarding that we're your guests, we're still your parents."

Her straightforwardness caught me a bit off guard, but I just accepted it. "How about your omelets? I haven't had one of those in forever, and there should be enough eggs for five of us."

She giggles. "Went right for the good stuff, huh? Very well, let me work my magic." With that, she went right to work. It wasn't long before the house was filled with the smell of her cooking. I pour myself a glass of milk before taking a seat with dad.

"Mmm, what's that smell?" I look over to see Fluttershy coming down the stairs with a half-asleep Scootaloo.

"Mom's omelets. Trust me when I say they're divine, and I don't usually say stuff like that."

Scoots pouted at me. "That's beside the point. Why didn't you wake me up when you got up?"

I chuckle. "How could I? You looked so peaceful." This got a groan from her. "Get used to stuff like that. It's baggage that comes from having an older sibling."

"Now now, you two." My mom rolled her eyes in amusement. "What do you two want in your omelets?" she asked while looking over at Scootaloo and Fluttershy.


After breakfast was eaten and things were explained, Fluttershy left for her cottage to feed her animals while mom and dad left for Cloudsdale once again. I took Scootaloo to school, much to her fellow classmates' surprise and to her amusement. I figured that Rainbow would understand me taking her to school before heading off to weather duties.

"So how was Squirt's first night with you guys?"

"She slept pretty well. Apparently she didn't like me waking up without waking her up." This got a snort of amusement out of her.

"Right well, letting you know now that Fluttershy and I are going to a picnic with our friends later on. Unfortunately, Rarity and Pinkie wanted to make it "girls only" or something."

I raise an eyebrow. "Don't think I'm insulted, Rainbow. You girls don't NEED to include me in everything you do. I mean, hay, I'm just the out-of-place male in your circle of friends."

She rolls her eyes. "If you’re sure about it."

I nod. "Yes I'm sure. Besides I need to visit my band mates as I haven't seen them outside of getting their help during the "Chaos Incident"."

"Right, forgot you were in a band. See you around then, I'm off to help Applejack with something." With that, she flies off.

I shake my head in amusement before flying off myself. On the way to the meeting place, I spy Twilight and Spike heading in the direction of Sugar Cube Corner, with the latter holding the longest scroll I have ever seen.

When I arrived and entered, I found Snare practicing on her drums, Burst tuning his bass, and Electron fiddling with her equipment. Burst was the first one to notice me. "Hey Zephyr, how have you been?"

"Pretty good. I just got myself a new little sister."

Electron looked up from what she was doing. "I was hearing a lot of hubbub at one point last night. Was it because..."

"It was her birthday and my family's gift to her was adopting her."

She cooed. "Aw, that's sweet."

"Yeah, yeah, gag me..." I look over at Snare who wore a look of irritation.

Burst rolled his eyes. "Snare's still a bit sour over you making her fly more than she's used to."

"Am not!"

I sigh. "Snare tell me, how was I supposed to know that all of our work that day was going to waste because of a mad spirit's power?"

"Wait, that was caused by a mad spirit?"

"Discord." She deadpans at me before whistling nonchalantly.

Burst shook his head in amusement. "Now that that's out of the way, do you have any plans for Nightmare Night, Zephyr?"

I widen my eyes in shock. "Wait, Nightmare Night's coming up? I don't have anything!"

I used to hate Nightmare Night when I was younger because I was easily scared and the other foals always alienated me. Now that I had a filly younger sister, it suddenly became something more that I had to worry about.

Electron patted me on the withers. "Don't worry too much if it's about your sister. Besides, we wanted to do something as a band... or at least between the four of us."

I look around. "Speaking of, where's Iron and Strings?"

"Strings hasn't returned from Canterlot and Iron went to Vanhoover to visit a relative." Snare spoke up this time. I guess she's over her little vendetta now.

"Hmm... I wonder..." Suddenly, due to resentment from previous years of my life, I came up with a very evil idea. "You know... seeing as it's going to be Nightmare Night and all, why don't we give the town ponies a scare?"

Burst raised an eyebrow. "You look like you have an idea."

"Whether you guys agree to it or not is up in the air. Here's the deal..."


I chuckle ominously as I left the building. I know this town never really did anything to me, but I was never able to fully enjoy Nightmare Night to it's fullest in the past. That included giving others a scare, but because I was more of a scaredy cat back then and that nopony wanted to help me, I couldn't.

I grabbed lunch at Sugar Cube Corner, where Pinkie reminded me that they were having a picnic. I told her the same thing I told Rainbow, though now I wonder if the girls were trying to tell me something. I couldn't put my hoof on it at all, so I just shook it off.

With nothing better to do, I decided to fly around the outskirts of Ponyville just to kill a little bit of time. I eventually see Twilight sitting on a park bench... talking to herself.

I flew down cautiously to check on her. Last time I saw her like this, she was not in the best of moods. "Uh... Twilight?"

She completely ignored me. "It will all be over! My time in Ponyville--"

"Wait what? Twilight, snap out of it!"

I shake her by the shoulders, which broke her out of her trance. "Oh what? Zephyr, I'm glad you came to see me!"

I went from completely concerned to half-concerned and half-confused. "What do you mean? And what do you mean by your time in Ponyville will be over?"

"That's not important! You came to me because you had a friendship problem, yes?"

"... Actually, yes I do. It's that my normally calm and collected friend is acting so spontaneous!"

She flinched. "Y-you have a problem with me?"

I chew on my cheek. "Don't twist my words, you know full well that's not what I meant!"

"He's just worried about you, Twilight." I look over to see Spike walking over with a box in his claws. "You shouldn't panic yourself so much."

I sigh in relief because he was here to help. "Look, Spike's right. You yourself told me that panicking won't help in most situations. If you’re uncertain about something, talk it over with your friends. I'm sure they’ll try to help."

Spike nodded. "That's right. You can talk it over with them at the picnic--"

"The picnic!"

I'll be seeing that smile in my nightmares tonight...

"I should go see my friends!" She grabs the box from Spikes claws with her magic and runs off.

Both of us look at each other with a worried look. "I hope she came to her senses... enough to be coherent anyways."

I sigh. "As dark as this may be, I think that smile of hers gave me an idea for what I'm doing on Nightmare Night." I shake my head before looking in the direction she went. "I wonder what's gotten into her..."

Spike groaned. "Oh, today's the day she is supposed to send a friendship letter to princess Celestia. She's been panicking over it for half of the day, worried that this one time she misses a letter will end her."

"I forgot about that. Still, as much as I know that being a student under a powerful princess has it's own demanding requirements, I'm sure her highness would understand." Seeing Spike's inquisitive look I explain, "I met her right after the Chaos Incident when I was in the hospital for serious injuries."

"Oh, so that's how you got out so fast."

"Yeah... still I hope things turn out okay." He nods in agreement. There was silence before I sighed. "Perhaps, as a security net, you should inform the princess about this."

He blanched. "I was thinking the same thing but... what if Twilight thinks I told on her."

"Spike, it's better to inform somepony about a major problem than do nothing at all. Besides, if push comes to shove, Celestia may be the only pony Twilight truly listens to, as much as I wish for it to not be true."

"Alright. I'll head back now and send her a letter. Hopefully things turn out alright."

"I hope so too, Spike. I hope so too..."


I was waiting outside of the school when the bell rang, signaling the end of classes for the day. Scootaloo was surprised to see me there, though she quickly became happy about it as well. "You came to pick me up?"

"Of course. You think I'd just let you walk home by yourself?" She nuzzled me with a giggle. "Besides, we still need to discuss what you're doing for Nightmare Night."

Sweetie Belle gasped. "Oh right! Rarity did say she would help us with our costumes if we needed."

Interesting, I should see if she can help with mine.

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. "We can worry about that later. Anyways, I don't feel like crusading today, but I do want to enjoy the day outside."

Appleboom tilted her head. "Ya mean you jus' want to play today? Ah have a beach ball at home we can hit around."

"Of course. I want Zephyr to join us as well!"

I raise an eyebrow. "Oh? Here I was thinking you girls didn't want me to join this time."

Scoots gives me a look. "Come on, it'll be the first time I get to play with my new big brother!"

Sweetie Belle giggled. "You've certainly been happy about that today."

"Why not?"

I shake my head in amusement. "If you're certain then let's go get the ball, the day isn't getting any younger."

I saw Granny Smith while at the farm who told me that, because I took in a filly that needed a family, I've gained the Apple Family's respect and that I was now an honorary Apple. I asked Applebloom about it a bit later and she explained that the Apple Family puts high value on family ties and relationships, meaning my act resonated with Granny Smith when Applejack told her what I did.

I blew up the ball because of how much of a wind bag I am, which tuckered me out a bit but not enough to prevent me from joining the fun. "Why don't we make this interesting? Lets see how long we can keep the ball in the air."

Scootaloo scoffed. "Please, that'll be easy peasy."

I raise an eyebrow. "Don't jinx it."

Sure enough, she hit it awkwardly enough that none of us were able to reach it in time, forcing us to restart right off the bat. It was actually stressful in a way, how you’re pretending the ball is something precious and the floor is lava. It was the fun kind of stressful though.

Suddenly, when the ball was heading towards me, it suddenly started dropping faster like it gained weight. Thinking it was just the ball losing some air, I went to hit it again with my head, only for it to feel like a flower pot dropped on it. "Ow, what the?"

Scootaloo snorted. "Way to drop the ball, big broth--" She stopped herself short when the ball suddenly started getting bigger and looking like something was trying to break out.

The ball pops and in it's place is Twilight, looking like she desperately needs a mane re-style. "Hi, girls... and boy!"

Wow, way to make me feel like an afterthought, Twily...

Applebloom spoke up, sounding somewhat intimidated. "H-hi, Twilight. How are--"

"Gr~eat. Just great."

I roll my eyes. "Oh, yes? Then how was the picnic?"

"We don't. Speak. Of the picnic!" That definitely tipped me off that thing did not turn out okay as I had hoped. She turns to slowly advance on the fillies. "Anyways, you three look like you're doing great too! Looks like three good friends who obviously don't need the help of another good friend."

The way she was advancing on them did NOT sit very well with me. "Twilight, maybe you should--"

She suddenly brings out a raggedy, old doll. "This is Smarty Pants. She was mine when I was your age, and now I want to give her to you! She even comes with her own notebook and quill, for when you want to pretend she's doing her homework!"

That made me facehoof hard. "Twilight, I hope you don't become a salespony."

She gives me a withering glare. "And just what do you mean by that?"

"The fact that you did not sound convincing. At. All."

"What's it to you?" She snapped at me.

"The fact that, if you're trying to do what I think you're trying to do, I am NOT amused." I don't know why, but the way Scootaloo and her friends looked borderline scared made me put venom in my voice.

"It's free isn't it?" She looked even more crazy now, but that didn't make me flinch one bit.

Applebloom spoke up. "Ah don't know... maybe Sweetie Belle should have first turn?"

The mentioned filly looked insulted. "No, I think Scootaloo should play with her first!"

"What, why me?"

I sigh while glaring at Twilight. "Girls, you don't have to accept it if you don't like it!" All three give me an uncertain look before backing away again.

"Oh? If the problem is the fact that you don't like her, then I'm sure you'll absolutely love her more than anything!"

I groan in irritation, the whole situation somehow putting me in a bad mood. "If you're going to try to pass it off again, then-- what in tarnation?" Foals were around, so I had to borrow a leaf from Applejack's book.

The doll in question suddenly looked like tiny hearts were going inside of the doll, which baffled me.

At least until Scootaloo suddenly gasped. "I want it."

What?

"I NEED it!" Applebloom suddenly said.

"I REALLY like her mane!" Sweetie Belle sounded off. They stared at the doll for a second before disappearing in a ball of violence.

I immediately turn to Twilight with a growl. "WHAT did you do?"

"Eh heh, the Want It, Need It spell. Works every time!"

"Yeah and if by it works you mean it causes foals to start beating each other up over a stupid doll, I'd have to agree with you. Now cancel it!"

She looked like she got off-put by my more aggressive tone. "Uh, right just... let me do something first!"

She went over and said something about a lesson to be learned, only be promptly denied by a no from Applebloom. She dived in as well, only to get rejected. I give her an unamused glare. "How'd that plan work out for you? Shouldn't you just, oh I don't know, CANCEL the spell?"

She whimpered. "B-but I don't know how!"

I groan. "You don't even have a counter-spell? Love of-- I guess if you want something done..." I leap into the dust ball myself and pushed Sweetie Belle and Applebloom away from each other with my wings while I held Scootaloo in one foreleg. "Break it up, you three!"

I briefly saw hearts in their eyes before they went back to normal with confused looks. Scootaloo took one look at the doll before hiding underneath me. "Eep! What did that doll do to us?" Sweetie and Applebloom joined her, much to my discomfort.

I once again glare at Twilight, who withered under it. "Congratulations, you just tr--"

I was interrupted by a red blur taking the doll. I look to see Big Mac, with the same hearts in his eyes. The way he came out of nowhere like that baffled me to the point of making me change my accent. "Aye... what just happened?"

It didn't take long before he was in a mountain of ponies who all fell under the doll's spell. I look to Twilight, now panicking. "Twilight, do something!"

"I'm trying! I can't seem... to--" Her attempts to get the doll were interrupted by the mayor taking the doll from Big Mac, who proceeded to knock everypony else away with a "nope" before pursuing.

"Will you be able to disengage the spell if I get you the doll?"

She gives me a worried look. "Won't you fall under the spell as well?"

"I was looking at it earlier just fine."

"A-alright. I don't know the exact counter-spell, but I'll try my best!"

I nod quickly. "That's all I ask!" I fly up to address the fillies. "You three head back into town and, whatever you do, don't look around!" I got a round of nods from them before they scamper off. I nod once more to Twilight before flying off myself.

Spying the mayor and keeping my weakness to earth ponies in mind, I quickly swoop in and snag the doll from her mouth. It didn't take long before other pegasi tried taking it from me, which made me do the equivalent of an air-ballet in my attempts to dodge.

Sadly, I wasn't able to keep up the dodging long enough to get it to Twilight, as a pony managed to land a hit on me which made me drop it with an "augh" of pain. I saw where it landed briefly before it disappeared in the brawl below. I kept getting glimpses of it, but I wasn't able to get a lock on it.

When I finally did, I managed to snag it before it disappeared on me again, but I once again had afflicted ponies on my trail. I wasn’t able to take off in time though, as an earth pony leaped into the air to intercept me.

I knew I couldn’t get out of the way in time, but I tried to dodge anyways. As I did, my secondaries suddenly felt tingly and, all too suddenly, I whipped out from under the mare. The dodge was so unexpectedly smooth that I nearly lost my balance right after.

What… what just--

I couldn’t ponder it too much when another mare, this time a unicorn, tried ramming into me. Once again she was too close for me to dodge normally but when I tried to anyways, the same thing happened again, although this time I kept my balance.

Using the opening and the fact that any other pony affected by the spell was too far to try and do anything, I took to the air again. The same thing that happened on the ground happened in the air as well, with every single pegasus that tried tackling me too close for normal dodging gets dodged anyways.

My dodging spree was ended when a pegasus I didn’t see coming hit me in the head, causing stars to explode across my vision and making me drop the doll.

When I managed to recover after a few seconds, I saw the doll drop near Rainbow and, in a fit of panic, I dropped down as well to get it out of her sight. Twilight managed to save her from the spell by closing her eyes. "Don't look at it!"

Rarity walked over, confused "What do you mean?"

"Enchanted doll that makes you fight for it!" Was all I got out before the doll disappeared again.

Seeing the looks of confusion, Twilight covered for me. "I enchanted my doll and now everypony is fighting over her!"

Fluttershy spoke up this time. "Why would you enchant your doll?"

I covered Twilight this time. "Because she needed to solve a friendship problem for a letter to the princess."

She nodded. "I thought if I couldn't find a problem, I'd make a problem! Look at how THAT turned out!" She cowered on the ground. "Not only did I make Zephyr mad earlier, the day is almost over!"

"Not almost," Applejack managed to say before the sun dipped over the horizon and a white light ignited over us.

"Twilight Sparkle!" The voice of the princess made me drop to the ground in surprise. With the light from her horn, she cast a spell that made everypony stop fighting, seemingly breaking the enchantment.

I saw the ponies gathering around the doll with confused, annoyed, or embarrassed expressions before dispersing. I redirected my attention towards the princess, remembering that I told Spike to send her a letter. The feeling of dread suddenly welled in my stomach.

She landed in front of Twilight with a disappointed look. "Meet me in the library." Was all she said before walking off.

Twilight let out a heavy sigh. "Goodbye, everypony. If you care to visit, I'll be in magic kindergarten... back in Canterlot." Her words struck me as I suddenly realize--

"We're never gonna see Twilight again!" Pinkie said in an outburst, which drove my realization and feeling of dread home.

"Oh no no no, it's all MY fault!"

Applejack gave me a concerned look. "What do you mean, sugahcube?"

"I wasn't clear with her when I told her to talk it over with you girls. Then, when she was trying to make a problem, I started acting passive-aggressive with her when she confronted Scootaloo and her friends!"

Rainbow looked surprised. "YOU acted passive-aggressive? Why?"

"I don't know. But what I do know is that I should of tried talking her out of her plan instead of blowing her off! Now look what happened!"

Rarity put a hoof on my muzzle. "Darling, you shouldn't throw all of the blame on yourself. None of us gave her the time of day when it counted either."

"That's not--"

Fluttershy nuzzled me. "Please, Zephyr. We're all to blame for this one."

"Still, Of all the worst things that could happen, this is THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!" Rarity got weird looks from everypony but me. "What? I really mean it this time!"

I adopted a confused look. "Did I miss something?"

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "She did that earlier when she realized she forgot plates." That got a deadpan from me and an even more nervous smile out of Rarity.

Pinkie jumped up. "We can worry about that later. Twilight needs us!"

I shake my head before nodding. "Yeah, we need to get there ASAP. Come on!" Four of us started galloping towards the library while Rainbow and I flew over them.

We reached the library quickly and suddenly flew towards the door in a burst of speed. "Battering ram!" I half-shouted.

Only for me to stupidly use my head and not my hooves to hit the door. Stars once again exploded across my vision and the pain followed shortly after, with Fluttershy tripping onto me with an "eep" of surprise. She managed to quickly shake it off and join our friends surrounding Twilight while I took a bit longer to recover.

When I finally joined the others, The girls were ringing out their arguments as to why it was their fault, ending with Fluttershy saying, "Please don't take her away from us just because we were too insensitive to help her."

I walked forward, still slightly disoriented. "Especially me. I treated her like total garbage and got too defensive against her when she needed support most! I got angry for no good reason and... and..."

She raised an eyebrow. "So that's why Twilight said you got mad at her." Seeing my confused look, she simply sighed. "I'll explain in a minute. So I take it all of you learned an important lesson today?" She got agreement from us all. "Very well. I'll forget Twilight's "punishment" on one condition.

"From this day forth, I would like you all to report to me your findings on the magic of friendship, when, and only when, you happen to discover them. That includes you as well Zephyr." That kind of came out of left field for me so all I did was give a shocked cheer, much to her amusement.

Twilight looked like she had a thought. "Wait, how did you know about--"

"Your troubles? I received a letter from Spike that made me aware. I commend him for taking your feelings seriously." I suddenly found the bookshelves very interesting.

Spike piped up. "Uh, while I did have the idea, Zephyr suggested it to me as well."

I flinch when all of the attention was on me. “I-I effectively helped tattletale on her and got her into trouble with you…”

“You still took her feelings into consideration when you told Spike to write to me about it.”

"B-but... in the end I still blew her off for no good reason..."

Celestia raised an eyebrow. "No good reason? Is acting like an older-brother with a protective instinct no good reason?"

I give her a shocked look. "But I've only been a big brother for... a week-and-a-half tops! How could I have--"

"My understanding is that you were a big brother to Fluttershy before your separation, correct?" I nod. "Some instincts never truly leave us, even after many long years of never using them. You were just... abrasive in your execution." I continue to look at her with surprise as she gives me a soft smile before flying out of the library.

Applejack whistled. "Well ain't that something? Granny Smith was right when she said she had a good feeling about you as a big brother. Anyways, Spike, take a letter!"


"A-are you sure I'll be okay?"

I was busy tucking in Scootaloo for the night after our letter to the princess was wrote. When I got home, I found her in a slightly scared state and it took much convincing to get her to go to bed.

I sigh before patting her on the head. "Don't worry about it too much, Scoots. If you need me at all, my room's right across from yours, okay?"

"O-okay..." She snuggled into her bed in an attempt to get comfortable.

I smile softly and give her a kiss between the ears. "Sweet dreams, little sister." She let out a soft hum at that and I left for bed myself, praying to Luna that she did indeed have sweet dreams.

If only I could help her more tonight...

Author's Note:

I should probably explain the mechanics behind Zephyr's immunity to the Need It, Want It spell, since some of you may get confused.

In regards to unicorn enchantments (not magic artifacts, those are another can of worms I'll be covering later), if the effects of the enchantment is to affect a pony within proximity of it, he will resist it like a normal unicorn spell, even with contact.

However, the enchantment doesn't cancel out when he touches the object, meaning in this case, he could hold the doll with no negative effects, but it can still make ponies fall under it's spell.

What he CAN cancel out is the effects of the enchantment on ponies through contact as well. This is how he managed to snap the CMC out of it so quickly when he broke up their fight.

If the enchantment was to be cast on him, his normal rules apply; he resists it unless the caster puts enough power into the spell.

I'll cover how his dodging 'skills' work at a later point due to spoilers.

Anyways, this might be a more... disjointed chapter because I didn't really have an idea as to where to go with it when I got into the crazy Twilight segment. I wanted to cover the morning after the birthday in some way that didn't feel even more disjointed than it already was, so... yeah.

PreviousChapters Next