• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 612 Views, 8 Comments

The Story Rain Tells - sweetiebelle5



After tough times Babs falls into a depression. Then a certain pink pony comes and teaches Babs how to smile again

  • ...
0
 8
 612

Babs key to life

You know it's not very fun when it rains. Everyone thinks this at some point in their life. Especially the cutie mark crusaders, or the CMC. The forecaster said it will rain for 3 days with little stop! The CMC felt disappointed. They wanted to go outside and do something. Not stay inside!

The CMC had three members in it – well actually four: Babs Seed. The cutie mark crusaders haven't seen their fourth member in years but they bet she was happy with the Manehatten branch of the CMC and probably upset with staying inside with all this rain. They had no idea how wrong that was****

Babs Seed was thrilled when she heard the news. Rain for three whole days! She walked upstairs to her room past her older sister. Babs sat down her saddle bag on her bed. School had been unusually tougher. At least it was Friday and now spring break!

She looked around her fairly large room with blue walls. She had a desk and on the opposite side a queen sized bed. Next to her bed was a built in chair sort of thing. It was right by the window and where she spent most of her days. Sitting on it looking out the window.

Babs loved looking out of her window. She had a perfect view of the garden her sister tends to. It was truly beautiful. But it was nothing compared to the beauty of rain. It was so inspirational. The way it dripped like silk or poured like a river. When it was loud it sounded like the waves of an ocean.

The best part of the rain though is it gives Babs an excuse. It gives her an excuse for hiding from the world. It gave her an excuse to stay inside.

Babs had no friends in Manehatten. The Manehatten branch of the CMC? It never existed. Ever. She was the only “blank flank” (as the mean girls called it) at her school. Even if she had her cutie mark no pony seemed to like her.

TAT TAT The rain started to drop. Babs rushed to her window not wanting to miss any of the show. Then ran to her desk. She had almost forgot! She pulled out her dairy and went back to the window and opened it up and began to sketch what she saw when the rain falls.

Her dairy was different than most girls. They write down life,stuff with friends, crushes. Not Babs's dairy. In fact it didn't have any words. Just pages with sketch after sketch after sketch. It was sketches of what Babs saw outside her window. Mostly they were of rain and the wonders it carried with it.

As Babs began to sketch her picture of rain falling off a leaf she heard her door began to open and quickly jumped up and hid her note book. “Yes?” She asked.

“Babs.” It was her sister Sunapple Seed. “You want to help me get gardening supplies at the store? You used to always want to come.”

“I am fine. In fact I am in the middle of something,” Babs said eager for her sister to leave so she could get back to the rain that was starting to slow down

“Babs. I am worried about you. You seem more spacey and off in your own world more than usual. Is everything ok?”

“Yes yes. Everything s perfectly fine now bye.”

“Babs”

“Yes,” Babs said getting fed up.

“I love you,” Sunapple said.

“I love you to,” Babs said as she shut the door. She looked out the window. It had stopped raining. Disappointed Babs looked out of her window seeing a strange pool like puddle the rain had left. Perfect! Babs took out her book and began sketching it. When she was done she looked at her drawing. It was a strange shape Babs hadn't noticed before: Three balloons. Strange thought Babs*****

Sunapple knew Babs was lying. She was depressed. Very. She didn't know why. And it also seems Babs thinks hiding can make it go away but it can't.

She wish Babs would smile. She hadn't seen the poor filly smile in weeks. This called for something dire. She had only one thought on who could help her. “The pink,” She whispered*****

Babs woke up to the sound of light drizzling against her window. Rain. She got out of bed brushed down her matted down red mane and slipped out of her silk pajamas. Then she grabbed her notebook, headed for the window and sketched.

KNOCK KNOCK! Startled Babs jumped off her chair. “Who is it?” She asked grumpily.

“Babs! You have a visitor!” Her sister yelled. A visitor? Babs gasped could it be Apple Bloom? Sweetie Belle? Scootaloo? Her heart skipped a beat as she opened the door.

It wasn't Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, or Scootaloo at all. Oh well thought Babs as she sighed. Instead of the CMC it was her sister and I strange pink from head to toe pony with a wild curly mane.

“HI! I am Pinkie Pie. Your Babs right? Hey I know you aren't you in the CMC? Weren't you in that golden apple float...” She began. Wow! She had like a million questions.

“Well nice to meet you I guess,” Babs said. She began to close the door when a yellow hoof grabbed it.

“Uh uh. We need to help our guest. She will be sleeping next door in the spare bedroom. Babs help her with her,um, cannon,” Sunapple said realizing what Pinkie had brought with her.

Babs grunted as she began to take the cannon. Boy was it heavy!

“I got!” Pinkie said with too much enthusiasm and hopped down to her room. Pinkie must be strong she was carrying it like it was nothing!

Sis! Why is she staying with us?” Babs demanded.

“When times come you will see,” Sunapple said as she walked away.

Babs shrugged and went back in her room to draw for it had started to rain some more.****

Babs was concentrating very hard on her drawing and didn't here the door to her room open. “Hiya!” Pinkie Pie yelled startling Babs half to death.

“AAH!” Babs cried “Knock next time why don't cha?”

“Cause then it wouldn't be a surprise!” Pinkie said. She eyed Babs notebook. It was a faded red and a tad raggy but Babs liked it that way. “Whats that?” Pinkie asked pointing to it.

Alarmed Babs stuttered “Oh its nothing all blank pages.”

Pinkie looked like she didn't believe her but didn't press on. “So what do you do all day?” Pinkie asked.

“I watch the rain fall,” Babs said. She couldn't believe she had just told her secret to a total stranger! But Pinkie Pie just seemed easy to be around and it just sorta came out.

“Doesn't that get boring.?” Pinkie asked

“Naw,” Babs answered. “This sounds weird but when it falls it seems like the rain is trying to tell me a story.” Babs looked at Pinkie's cutie mark and gasped. Three balloons!!

“So what make you happy?” Pinkie asked.

“Huh?” Babs said. Then it hit her. This is why Sunapple sent Pinkie Pie. She thinks this weird off the wall pony will make her happy?

“Nothing really,” Babs answered. She did like something (the rain) but Pinkie can't make her happy cause she wasn't going to let her.

“Something does,” Pinkie said with to much enthusiasm.

“No. Nothing does and if you don't mind I want to be alone,” Babs said not meaning for that to come out that harshly.

Taken back Pinkie forced a smile. “Oh ok. I don't mind at all. See you later,” Pinkie said flatly and left.****

Pinkie Pie was confused. How can a pony be so unwilling to smile? This is like Cranky Doodle all over! Though Pinkie exasperated. Still she had a mission and wasn't going to give up!****

The next day Babs Seed woke up and saw the gloomy sky. To her it was a ray of sunshine. She took her notebook and sighed. She didn't want Pinkie to see it again so she kept it in its hiding spot. Just then Pinkie came into her room. Man she is determined!

“Hello silly filly! Guess what the rain is stopping a little bit! So guess what that means?”

It means no fun thought Babs. Of course she didn't say it out loud though. “What,” She said flatly.

“We get to go fishing!” Pinkie said happily.

“Oh, um, no thanks,” Babs said.

“Who said I was asking?” Pinkie Pie said and grabbed Babs's hand. She ran down stairs and out the door.

“Slow down!!” Babs yelled but Pinkie didn't stop until they were behind Babs's house and by the lake.

“Come on hop in!” Pinkie Pie said jumping into a not-so sturdy looking boat. Hesitantly Babs stepped in. Pinkie Pie began to row the boat. She took out a fishing rod and handed it too Babs

“Watch and repeat,” Pinkie said as she threw her line into the blue, shimmering water. Babs did as she was told and casted out her line. For the first time since Pinkie was here it was quiet and peacful and Babs enjoyed it. After awhile Pinkie broke the silence.

“Babs, why do you refuse to be happy?” Pinkie asked

Babs looked at the bottom of the boat then said, “Why do you want to be and make people happy.”

“Well,” Pinkie Pie began, “Ever since I was a filly smiling and having fun and just pure joy made me feel happy like nothing can stop you happy. Ever since I first experienced that I wanted other ponies to feel that way so I went to every pony who need happiness and did the best I could,” Pinkie explained.

“Thats really sweet of you,” Babs said.

“I answered your question can you answer mine?” Pinkie asked.

Babs took a deep breath. It was time to spill. “I miss the Ponyvile CMC, I have no friends, everypony picks on me at school, and I am a blank flank,” Babs said.

“Anything else?” Pinkie pressed on.

“Ever since the move my parents are so busy they have no time for me and I feel so alone,” Babs said quietly.

“Well, I have got some advice for you,” Pinkie said, “One, you will see the Ponyville CMC ine day once more. Maybe not as soon as you like but you will. Next go out and make friends. Who cares if they have cutie marks? Also don't let haters bring you down. They are jealous of you in some way and have decided to be mean. The blank flank? For the last time YOUR TIME WILL COME!”

“What about my parents?” Babs asked. The advice Pinkie gave her was useful and she planned to use it.

“Darling. Listen. They still love you. The move has been hard for them but once stuff settles down everything will be back to normal. In the mean time hang out with you amazing sister,” Pinkie said in a soft gentle voice Babs didn't think she had.

Babs paused. Then a smile crept onto her face. Pinkie looked like she was going to burst. And for a moment she almost did.***

For the remainder of Pinkie Pie's visit everyday she would get Babs and they did an activity and Babs always enjoyed it. But Pinkie couldn't stay forever. When she was about to go she made Babs promise to make friends. Babs Pinkie Pie swore. Then held back tears as Pinkie left but refused to go back into a depression.****

Pinkie didn't want to go. She really didn't. But Pinkie Pie had friends and family she had to get back to. Plus she was afraid she would hold Babs back from making friends.

Pinkie Pie swore her suit case got heavier when she stooped down to hug Babs good bye. On the train she opened up her case to discover a shaggy, faded red notebook. She opened it up to see beautiful drawings page after page of nature-mostly rain. On the back page there was a note:

To Pinkie Pie-the pony who taught me how to smile again***

Author's Note:

Here is a sweet quick little story a decided to whip up. It was a challenge though tbh though.

Comments ( 8 )

Other than being in multiple tenses it's pretty good for a quick one

4244998 thanks I haven't really "mastered" the tenses yet

Neither have I but you just keep at it.

“Who said I was asking?” Pinkie Pie said and grabbed Babs's hand.
Hand? :rainbowhuh:

Eehh... This could use quite a bit of rework and a lot more details in certain areas. The writing is rough and I made myself finish the story. It's a good fic that starts out well but I quickly lost interest mid way into the tale. For a one-shot though it was alright and I can say that I appreciate reading this. Not gonna leave any kind of rating, but I will say that it could use some rework. Also, try to double space your paragraph breaks for a more reader friendly text on the eyes.

Comment posted by Jesse Coffey deleted Aug 17th, 2014

4249545 Jeez, you're a genius! You can make Pony Equestria look like Human Equestria in just one sentence!

Login or register to comment