• Published 18th Mar 2014
  • 655 Views, 5 Comments

Canterlot And Beyond - Starlight Shadow



Random stories that are usually less than a thousand words and are usually inspired by random stuff I don't even know why I'm inspired by.

  • ...
2
 5
 655

Little Gem

Author's Note:

Rarity and Applejack have fun with their foal, Jocelyn. Shares the title with a fic by The Princess Rarity.

Jocelyn stood in front of one of the trees in her mother's - well, one of her mothers - orchard, the wind blowing through her pale purple mane. This was the day. All or nothing. Make it or break it. The million dollar matchup.

Today was the day she would buck her first tree.

Rarity and Applejack stood on either side of her, beaming with pride.

"Are you ready, Lynnie?" Rarity nuzzled the young earth pony.

Jocelyn swatted her away. "I was born ready."

"That's our girl." Applejack bucked the tree next to Jocelyn's to demonstrate. "The second you saw me work for the first time you were all over it. Now, go on."

Jocelyn turned around so she was facing away from her tree. She lifted her back legs in a hoofstand, then slammed them against the tree. A good bit of apples fell out.

"One more time!" Rarity called. She had gotten the camera for the occasion.

Jocelyn was a little disappointed that she couldn't get them all down in one go, like her mother. One day, she'd be able to.

She slammed her back hooves against the tree again. More came down.

Applejack peered up into the branches. "Ah think that's all of 'em. Good girl, Lynnie." Both the older mares patted Jocelyn on the back, nuzzling her. An Apple's first buck was one to be remembered for the rest of their life, and its story to be told for many reunions to come.

Jocelyn had always been fascinated with the earth pony side of her family - the side she had gotten her right eye's color from. Ever since she had seen her mother work for the first time, slamming her back hooves against the trees, she had wanted to try it for herself, inherit the orchard one day.

For the first time out of many to come, Jocelyn felt one with her hooves.