• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,445 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,445

PreviousChapters Next
A Whole Lot of Love

Rainbow Dash fluttered into the tight alcove, carrying the can of water.

The fettered changeling immediately jerked away, its fanged mouth warped into a sharp grimace.

"Shhhh..." Rainbow Dash murmured. She stopped flapping her wings, touching down softly on three hooves. "It's okay." She shuffled forward, sliding the cup of water towards the creature. "Here. I brought you some water."

"It'll just..." The changeling squeaked, its dragonfly wings twitching. "Just bleed out... j-just bleed out of me... forgive me, Mother. I d-deserve it... I deserve it all..."

"Hey." Rainbow Dash knelt down low, catching the creature's gaze. "Look at me." Her eyes narrowed. "Nopony deserves the kind of stuff that's happened to you. Do you understand me? Nopony."

The creature's shell rattled as it tilted its head up. "Do you really b-believe that?"

Rainbow smiled slightly. "Yes."

A hissing sound. The changeling grew chin hair while an antler and a horn protruded momentarily from its skull. "Liar." It immediately winced, drawing further back into the corner with a whimper.

Rainbow's smile faded. She glanced at the floor, clearing her throat. Nevertheless, she scooted forward and squatted right in front of the trembling specimen. Behind her, Aatxe shuffled around the corner, watching nervously from a distance.

"I was hoping that you might be able to help me," Rainbow Dash said. "You see, my best friends and I have been dragged here... into this trap. Some of us..." She winced, her voice wavering as she stammered, "Haven't been so lucky." She gulped hard. "The others—well—I don't know for sure whether they're alive or dying. But... I'm here, and I'm with you. And if there's anything you know that you can tell me... that can shed some light on what the changelings want with Stratopolis, then it would help me a great deal to know."

"Hit... it hits it..." the changeling whimpers as it took on Arcshod's facial tattoos. "It responds to the pain. It feeds off it. Dreit. Delivery more unto it..."

Rainbow slowly shook her head. "No. Not today. I've no pain to give you."

"None?" The changeling twisted hits head up at an angle. Red dragon scales flickered across its cheek while two rows of teeth formed in its mouth. "None whatsoever?"

Rainbow squinted at the creature. "How... do you do that?"

"It hits it..." The creature whimpered as its body fluctuated all over with a dozen different Xonan markings. "Hrakkan semnul drenna drensen zeminulien trennte!" It gasped sharply, raising its head up with regal unicorn eyes. "Blessed children of Xon know only how to curse." Seclorum's gray mane flickered across its scalp. "Spark's fire is everlasting."

"I don't bring fire and I don't bring curses." Rainbow slid the cup of water forward. "But I would still like to know more."

"You have all that you could want to know..." The creature fell over on its side, kicking its legs like a canine in labor. "Hrkkkk... bleed me. You know you want to."

"No. I don't."

A pair of fiery green eyes narrowed at her. "Why not?"

Rainbow took a deep breath. "Because I know what it's like to be a monster, chained up against her will."

Aatxe raised his eyebrow at that.

The changeling hissed long and hard, its face evolving into Aatxe's. "Somepony doubtsssssss youuuuuu..."

Rainbow smirked straight at the creature. "I didn't ask him, now did I?"

The changeling reverted back to its insectoid self, shivering awkwardly. It glanced back at Aatxe, then at Rainbow again. With a jerk of its forelimbs, it dragged the metal cup suddenly toward itself. Water sloshed out, but that was of no consequence. The thing lapped thirstily at the contents of the container, making tiny gurgling noises.

Rainbow Dash waited patiently. She fidgeted a bit until she was squating on folded limbs. Finally, she spoke, "Better?"

The changeling said nothing. It froze in place, hiding its face behind the emptied container.

Rainbow Dash's lips curved. "Bet it's been a long time since you ever felt the urge to say 'thank you.'"

"I will be cracked in half..." It batted the container away and curled up against the wall, turning its face away from Rainbow. "Mmmmfff... my insides sucked clean. The pulp will go back to Mother. Nnnghhhmfff.... supplement the hatchlings..."

"But why?" Rainbow Dash asked, leaning forward. "Why do you expect to be punished?"

"So sorry... so sorry, Mother..."

"Is it because you were captured?" Rainbow Dash asked. "Is she mean to the drones that get caught?"

"No..." It quivered, stifling a sob. "The flame burns both ways. They know. And we know. All is knowledge, and all is complete. Mother feeds and nourishes the young."

"The Hive Mind..." Aatxe stammered, his jaw agape. "Seclorum figured it was too injured to communicate back with its kind. But... but if—"

"Shhh!" Rainbow Dash insisted. She furrowed her brow and slid forward. "Did... your Mother want you to be captured?"

The creature's wings twitched. It shivered and hugged itself with porous hooves.

Rainbow Dash spoke. "What kind of a loving Mother would do that to her child?"

"No..." The thing hissed. "Not loving. The ultimate cruelty would be to starve us."

"I... I don't understand," Rainbow Dash said.

"Love is weak," the changeling spat, its shoulders shaking. "It is a refuge of the days before the Migration. The plains are ripe with chaos, both light and dark. Only a fool would feed on love."

"Then... it is pain that you seek?" Rainbow asked. "Pain? Strife? Bad stuff?"

"Do not tempt m-me..."

"Well, what is it?"

"I said..." The creature spun, brandishing Collins' face, amber eyes flaring. "Do not tempt me!"

Rainbow Dash instantly doubled-back, wincing.

"You've prevented nothing!" Collins' face was replaced with Sam Rose's. "Saved nothing!" The creature jerked, gargled, then breathed out long and hard. Its features turned to a wrinkled coat. "Tell me, young filly," Cold Canter wheezed, looking sad and dazed. "Are you happy... are you fulfilled on your lonesome?"

Rainbow gritted her teeth. "You think all I am is pain and regret?"

"Snkkkkt...!" The changeling rolled upside down, laughing hysterically with Bellesmith's voice. "Shouldddddd a monster know anything else?!"

"You shouldn't have to fear your Mother punishing you." Rainbow's eyes narrowed. "Because she did. By giving birth to you."

"What's the matterrrrrr, Rainbow Crash?!" A stallion snarled before flashing a dark spectral mane and midnight eyes. "Doth thy temper betray thee? The worst kind of nightmare is the one thou liveth."

"And just who's keeping score, huh?" Suddenly, Rainbow flung her hoof forward and gripped the changeling's forelimb.

The creature instantly gasped, its green eyes billowing flame as it shivered from the grasp.

"Miss Dash!" Aatxe seethed, rushining forward to grab her shoulders. "What are you thinking?! Don't—!"

Rainbow spread her wings, knocking him back. "What's the matter?" she spoke firmly, keeping her eyes locked on the changeling. "Lost your spine? Do you bug ponies even have spines?"

"Please... don't..." The creature tugged and struggled to yank its hoof out of Rainbow's grip. "No... sh-she'll punish... punish..." It choked on a sob and clenched its eyes shut. "She hates... hates..."

"You know what I think Chrysalis does?" Rainbow Dash grinned. "She lies to you. There's something stronger. Something more potent than hate. She only hides it from you as a means of controlling her brood, making them think that hate is all that's worth foraging. And you know why?" Rainbow leaned forward. "Because she's a coward. Looking for love in the world? It's a lot harder. But it's also a lot cooler. And—believe me—you can't have pain without it. A life with nothing but agony on your palette is lame. Wouldn't you agree?"

"Please..." The changeling whimpered, crouching low and burying its face against the hard brick floor. "It's too strong. She will see... she will know."

"How can she?" Rainbow Dash asked. "Something tells me she hasn't had a good taste in years. Especially if her kids haven't."

The changeling shivered, continuing to hide its face.

Aatxe looked on nervously, his lips pursed.

"So..." Rainbow Dash took a deep breath, clutching the changeling's limb with a second hoof, kneading the rigid exoskeleton gently. "You hungry or what? Cuz this is all I'm going to give you."

The changeling trembled... trembled... then relaxed. Its body went limp. With a strong breath, it folded its dragon wings together. The gossamer material turned to gold, forming thick blonde fibers with a red hair-tie. By the time the orange coat had spread throughout its figure, Rainbow was already struggling to hold her ground.

Applejack looked up, her eyes teary as she murmured with a dazed expression. "It's a might bit warmer than I expected..."

Rainbow Dash clenched her jaw tight, struggling to maintain eye contact.

Applejack sniffled, rubbing her freckles with her other forelimb. Chains rattled as she sat up straight, squirming slightly. Her green eyes blinked, turning brighter and brighter—along with the sheen that made up her gorgeous coat. "Land's sake... I-I feel like I just gorged myself on a kitchen full of Granny's apple pies..."

"Yeah..." Rainbow's voice cracked. She cleared her throat and struggled to say, "You and me both..."

Applejack blinked curiously at Aatxe, glanced across the surroundings, then finally narrowed her eyes on Rainbow. "Sugarcube?" She gulped. "Reckon there was somethin' you were fixin' to ask me?"

Rainbow took a deep breath, then uttered, "Where is Chrysalis?"

PreviousChapters Next