• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,445 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,445

PreviousChapters Next
It's Not Easy Being Cheesy

The Noble Jury flew east.

It took minutes to clear the rest of the crater of Durandana. East D was an intricate, spiraling marvel of wooden architecture. Rainbow was amazed that she had never given herself the chance to lay her eyes on it before. There was no telling what things, creatures, and sights were left to be seen in that misty crater. Rainbow Dash briskly trotted below deck and didn't come out until the ship had cleared the Sky Stabs.

The world transformed into something frighteningly brighter by the time the Jurists had cleared the crater. With the mists and jagged topography gone, the continent appeared in all of its crystal clear glory. The landscape stretched green and beautiful as far as the horizon could reach. The air grew chillier, and the earth sloped down into sloping valleys dotted all over with fir trees and lush pine.

Floydien never looked so awake. Several crew members gave him double-glances, surprised at the bright luster in his eyes. When questioned, the elk conveyed in so few words that he was at his best when allowed to "glide, free from glimmer shimmer." Pilate sat by his side and the two discussed the finer mechanics of aeronautics for hours, until a melting sunset painted their healthy bodies amber.

Ebon Mane had a feast prepared for this latest leg of their flight. He sliced apart one whole cheese wheel for the occasion, which left Zaid an anxious, drooling mess. Props dragged the stallion into the mess hall where they joined Bellesmith, Eagle Eye, and Josho in felicitous conversation. Kera galloped all around, levitating Jerrio's feather over her head and pretending she was a pegasus. There was no shortage of giggles and warm breaths. As night poured darkness outside the portholes, the ship began to wind down as well. Soon, Floydien switched on autopilot and came trotting downstairs along with Pilate to enjoy the meal Ebon had prepared.

This was the scene that Rainbow Dash stumbled upon when she shuffled in from a nap in the observation room.


She waited in the crook of the doorway to the infirmary, catching her breath. Rainbow's teeth chattered loudly as she fought the last few waves of dizziness rocketing through her system. Then, with several solid breaths, she stood straight, feeling the blood rushing to the far extremes of her body. She flexed both forelimbs, and once she felt that she had completely recovered, she trotted bravely out into the hallway and marched into the mess hall beyond.

"...never go back to eating any other kind of sandwiches! I'm telling you!" Zaid rambled from where he sat at the long table, smiling. "The Durandanans were good cooks and all, but they didn't have the culinary skills of Sailbooty here." He pointed at the burgundy stallion hoofing sandwiches out one plate at a time. "I'm telling you, our mouths are gonna implode with cheesy goodness!"

"Jee, thanks, Zaid. I'm flattered." Ebon blinked. "I think."

"Heehee!" Props giggled. "No need for the preview, Zaidy Waidy! I had some grilled cheese the other night, remember?"

"Yeah. But this one will have considerably less of my hairs in it."

"Nnnnngh..." Josho grumbled, eyes rolling. "Must you ruin this before my colon does?"

"Sorry, Chins," Zaid said. "Whew! No offense to birds of a feather, but I'm super glad to be out of that giant stone bowl! It was starting to feel a little cramped, y'know?"

"No offense taken, Zaid," Rainbow said as she hovered to a chair beside Pilate and Bellesmith. "I know we all have things to do. It was... uhm..." She fidgeted, then took a deep breath. "It was really swell of you guys to let us stay in Durandana for as long as we did." She gulped. "It... really meant a lot to me."

"Awwwwwww..." Props cooed, blue eyes sparkling. "It's okies, Dashie!"

"Absolutely," Eagle said with a grin. "I enjoyed every moment of our stay." He glanced up with a smile. "And I'm not the only one." He winked.

Ebon blushed, biting his lip as he blindly placed down another piping-hot slice of grilled cheese.

"Gaaaah!" Zaid flinched, batting the cheesy mess out of his crotch. "Hot hot hot!"

"D'oh! Sorry! I'm s-so sorry!"

"It's okay..." Zaid hissed, eyes tearing slightly. He nevertheless sported a brave smile. "It's already been through a lot this week."

"Snkkkt—Heeheeheehee!" Props slapped the table, giggling.

Ebon gulped. "Okaaaaaaaaay..." He side-trotted. "I'm going to serve Floydien now..."

"Not too much of the yellow drip drip, sailboat."

"Yeah, yeah. Most of this is going to Josho anyways."

"Dayum straight."

"Mmmm!" Kera hopped into her stool beside Belle and Pilate. "Smells good!" She blinked, then glanced up at her guardians. "We're not gonna run out of good eats, are we?"

"Hmmmm..." Belle smiled. She reached over, straightening the filly's green bangs. "I doubt it, darling. Between Abinadi's generosity and the Durandanans', I think we're set."

"A welcome reprieve, if there ever was one," Pilate said.

"I gotta say..." Eagle smirked. "I'm liking this continent more and more with each passing day!"

"Enjoy it while it lasts, sissy saddles," Josho muttered, rubbing his hooves together greedily as Ebon reached his plate and started dishing out a solid stack of bread-and-cheese. "I'm sure the ugliness is waiting for us just a shout away."

"Ungh!" Props rolled her blue eyes. "Why is everypony on board this ship so paranoid?"

"Mrmmmfff..." Zaid gulped down a tasty morsel and murmured, "You seem to be doing just fine."

"I guess Nancy's womb shields me."

"Yes yes yes."

"Really, though, Rainbow..." Josho glanced across the table. "Shouldn't we be starting a game plan?"

"Hmmm?" She looked back at him.

"For Val Roa. I'm glad you got to peck it with the birds and all, but we've inadvertently given her one hell of a head start."

"Perhaps," Pilate said. "Perhaps not."

"Come on, stripes," Josho sighed. "You can't always be so dayum optimistic."

"Optimism doesn't necessarily signify ignorance." Pilate smirked slightly. "Chrysalis lost a great deal of power the last time we encountered her. I doubt that in all her eons of existence she's ever dealt with such a handicap."

"Yeah, but she's still got eons of existence. That's enough to make her a major threat. Never mind the ability to fart into whatever she wants to."

"Yeah!" Props blinked. "How will we ever find her!"

"We'd lose our heads from spinning if we even try," Eagle Eye said. "Best thing to do is approach Val Roa and seek audience with the royalty there."

"Heehee!" Kera giggled. "Yeah, that'll be rich!"

"For real!" Eagle Eye shrugged. "Every pony and turtle has been super friendly here! Is it too silly to expect the monarchs of Val Roa to be open to conversation with weary travelers seeking peace?"

"And just how is that going to go?" Kera stood up on her stool and cleared her throat. In a ridiculously eloquent tone she murmured, "'Allo Governor of Val Roa! Right fancy day for a stroll around the royal gardens! My name is Duchess Eagle Eye! Ya fancy helping us hunt down a bloody sod of a changeling!'"

"Oka-a-a-ay," Belle chided, nevertheless chuckling. She smiled through a blushing muzzle as she patted Kera's shoulders. "No standing at the table, darling."

"Ya see what I mean?" Kera sat back, smirking devilishly. "It's just stupid to expect the absolute best!"

Eagle Eye, meanwhile, slunked in his seat with a pout. "Only a duchess...?"

Ebon sat down beside him, leaned in, and kissed his cheek. "Muah. Just relax and eat, EE."

"Meh..."

"What about you, Rainbow Dash?" Kera asked. "What do you think we should do?"

"Mmmmrnngh..." Rainbow squirmed in her chair. Her wings were coiled tight as she stared a hole through the tabletop. "Really, it's just the first day of flight. Do we have to talk about it now?"

"Rainbow Dash..." Josho sighed.

"Less spit is fine for Floydien," the elk said, already halfway through his grilled cheese. "Mmmm... slime sublime..."

"It's not that I wanna overstress the issue," Josho said. He gulped and added, "I guess it's just the stubborn old soldier who refuses to die inside of me."

"And that's fine, Josho," Rainbow said. "I appreciate your focus. Really. It's just..." She sighed, clutching her head as she slumped against the dinner table. "My head's still spinning. It's hard to even sleep..." She felt a golden hoof on her shoulder. She looked up.

Belle was smiling sweetly. "It couldn't have been easy, Rainbow," she said. "Giving up what you did."

"Heh... yeah, well..." Rainbow shrugged. "I didn't have the sword for that long anyways, and it's not like I'm totally loss on the princess front—"

"Rainbow..." Belle squeezed her shoulder. "We all know that you sacrificed more than that."

Rainbow bit her lip. At last, her voice cracked, "I-I would have given up more if I stayed."

Pilate and Kera smiled.

Eagle and Ebon stared, rosy-cheeked.

"Unnngh..." Rainbow rolled her eyes. "When it rains, it pours." She leaned in and nuzzled Belle dearly.

"Awwwwwwwwwwwwww," Props cooed again.

"Eep! C-careful, Rainbow!" Belle shuddered as the plate before them rattled. "The cheese!"

"I always have my eye out for cheese."

"Heeheehee!"

"It's so great to have you with us, Rainbow," Pilate said. "It wouldn't be the same Jury otherwise."

"Yeah, well..." Rainbow leaned back with a somber breath. "The you-know-what is still out on that one."

"Cute."

"Mrmmmfff..." Zaid muttered in mid-scarf, gesturing. "You know, Awesome Sauce... mmmfff... I was thinking..." He gulped a bite down. "There's no reason why you can't have another sword made for you!"

"Buh?"

"I've been told just how badflank you were with all the goonie slaying back in Stratopolis! Maybe—like—we can land in a town around here that has a blacksmith!"

"Unnngh... Zaid..."

"For real!" He grinned. "I've got experience in making some steel! We'll give you something new to bite between your teeth! Maybe something with a snazzier hilt. I mean, no offense to the righteously enchanted beacon connecting Durandana to Equestria, but that damn blade always looked a bit too plain to me."

"Really?" Pilate cocked his head innocently to the side.

"That's it! I'll get you one with a snazzier hilt! Bird wings and all that crap! It'll even match your eyes—"

"Look, Zaid, you want my opinion on that?" Rainbow droned. "Do whatever. For real. Knock yourself out."

"Pffft. Don't you care?"

"Not really, no." Rainbow sighed. "I'm just... through with fighting for a while." She slumped back in her chair. "I don't even feel up to kicking clouds at the moment."

"Nopony's going to force you to do any of the sort, Rainbow," Belle said.

"Yes, well, give it time," Rainbow said with a tired smirk.

"Now that's more like it," Josho uttered.

"Hrmmph... I think differently!" Eagle Eye stood up. "Let's enjoy this moment of peace and togetherness!"

"Ugh..." Josho rolled his eyes. "Somepony shoot me. Roarke?!"

"No! I mean it!" Eagle grinned wide. "How about a toast?"

"Erm..." Ebon fidgeted. "I-I didn't pour drinks yet."

Eagle tapped his chin, glanced down, and grinned wide. He raised a slice of grilled cheese. "Ahem...To peace! And Rainbow Dash living the dream!"

"Spkkkt... Ha ha ha ha!" Rainbow hugged herself, grinning. "You for real?"

"As real as I've ever been!" Eagle beamed.

"Snazzatron!" Kera hopped up on the table before Belle could stop her, levitating her own slice of cheese sandwhich. "To Rainbow Dash!"

"Heeheeehee!" Props hopped up and raised her slice. "To keeping things breezy!"

Pilate stood up, holding a plate out. "To continued civility..."

"Spark alive, beloved..." Belle stealthily replaced Pilate's plate with a sandwich slice and stood up beside him. "Hrmmm... To a warm reception in Val Roa."

"To panties!" Zaid shot up, grinning.

"Hrmmmf..." Floydien rolled his eyes and stood up. "To less of this boomer pooper pile."

Eagle Eye giggled.

Ebon glanced at his barren place setting. He hurriedly scooped up a slice from Eagle's plate and stood up.

"Heh... you guys are impossible..." Rainbow grabbed a slice and hovered up. "Just how do we do this?"

"We just do it!"

"To the Jury!" Ebon squeaked proudly.

"To getting this over with!" Rainbow shoved her sliced forward.

Everypony followed suit. With a loud squish, their cheesy sandwiches collided above the table... and stuck together.

"Whoopsies!" Props blushed.

"You've got to be kidding Floydien..."

"You didn't think this out, glitterbutt!" Josho grumbled.

"Sorr-rr-rr-yyyy!" Eagle Eye managed amidst a giggle-snort.

As the group struggled to unstick the sandwiches, Props suddenly glanced aside.

"Uhhh... Zaidy Waidy?"

"Rrrgh... Yeah, Blondie?"

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

"... ... ..." Zaid's ears folded back. "Megacrud!" He dropped his sandwich altogether and galloped out of the room. "Gang way!" He shot into the tunnel, took a sharp left, and slammed the lavatory door behind him. Seconds later, everypony could almost feel the airship rocking.

"Hrmmmf..." The elk frowned. "What did Floydien just say?"

"Oh goddess..." Ebon rolled his eyes and giggled.

"Hoo boy..." Josho slumped back in his seat with a dumb smirk. "How the tables have turned."

"And the seats, for that matter," Pilate added.

The whole mess room filled with chuckles and laughter.

Roarke heard it from afar. She stared, unseen, from the kitchen door. Chewing on her lip, the Searonese mare almost stepped out to join the group. She lurched in place, wincing. Her lenses reflected the colors of the rainbow—then nothing as they retracted.

With a seething expression, Roarke turned from the group. She brushed her scarlet braids back, sighed, and trotted lonesomely across the kitchen and into the stairwell beyond.

PreviousChapters Next