• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,445 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,445

PreviousChapters Next
Another Testament of Rainbow Dash

Floydien had slowed the Noble Jury's approach with Props' help. The vessel was now cruising eastward at an easy glide. The entire crew stood on the top deck, peering into the spectacle before them. The closer they came to land, the louder the crashing surf pounded their ears from below, approaching an almost absurd volume. This was because the land didn't have any soft, sandy shores to be seen. Everything was sharp rock and jagged shoals. The earth didn't rise gently out of the surf. It jutted steeply and violently out of the ocean, forming a series of outrageously thin pillars that stubbornly resisted the tide. In fact, these needle-thin mesas stretched eastward for as far as the crew could see, rising gradually with taller and taller spikes—dark and gritty at the bottom but topped off with dewy frost and splotches of alabaster marble at the peaks. The air was cold, but not frigid. Constantly, the waves threw themselves at the jagged bluffs with such strength that the spray reached as high up as where the Noble Jury hovered, sprinkling moisture onto the timid flesh of the gazing crew.

The lighthouse that first alerted the crew turned out to be a far more elaborate thing as the vessel drew closer. It wasn't anchored to the ocean floor, but rather propped on the very top of the westernmost cluster of earthen spikes. Several of the jagged peaks had metal braces attached in a circle. These iron beams crossed over in a spiraling fashion, supporting a heavy vertical stalk in the center that erected itself high above the rest of the landscape. A skeletonous array of diagonal metal bars wound about the entire vertical length, encasing a spiral staircase that culminated in a singular black box of a room within the bars—located right beneath the brightly lit lamp that illuminated the lighthouse as a whole.

Down by the base of the "tower," several metal planks and walkways led to a cluster of humble little shacks—all crafted out of iron and aluminum—that balanced themselves perfectly atop an array of flat brass plates. Along the outer fringes and facing the ocean, a series of gardens and planted flowers rested in shallow troughs. A few spaces over, several windsocks and pinwheels faced the sea, twirling in the constant breeze. It was a strangely tranquil sight that precariously loomed a few dozen feet above cacophonous, crashing waves.

The sun had risen by the time Rainbow and the crew passed by the pulsating light house, and yet Rainbow's focus wasn't on the Sword of Solstice. She hovered in little hummingbird zig-zags around the ship, studying the landscape from every possible angle.

"It's... it's not abandoned, is it?" Ebon remarked.

"Who do you think lit the lighthouse?" Josho grumbled. "Cockroaches?"

"I can't imagine anypony having to constantly deal with this noise," Bellesmith said with Kera balanced on her shoulders.

"I don't think it is ponies, beloved."

"I can't see anyone," Rainbow Dash said. She glanced back at the ship from where she hovered alongside it. "Who would want to live out here?"

"I know!" Props nodded. "It's only an island!"

"I don't think so," Eagle Eye said from where he leaned over the deck near the bow. He looked north and west with a peering gaze. "Or, if it is, it's a large island."

"Do you see where the jagged bluffs end?" Ebon asked.

"Uhm... I think the jagged bluffs are what make this place."

"Neato keano," Props murmured.

"If this is the mainland, then we stand to be outnumbered," Roarke droned. She gazed over at Josho. "This might be a good time to grab your gun."

"Right—"

"No!" Rainbow Dash spun, waving a hoof. "We're here to be peaceful!"

"And how do we know that they are gonna be peaceful?" Josho muttered.

Ebon gulped. "Everywhere we seem to go, things are wanting to kill us."

"Come on, burgundy." Zaid smirked. "Have a smidgeon of faith for once."

"You're lucky I don't give you a smidgeon of arsenic."

"Pfft. You still on that, buddy?"

"I'm with Mr. Zaid on this one," Pilate said, then squirmed. "Partly." He cleared his throat. "Let's not jump to conclusions."

"Yes," Roarke nodded with glinting lenses. "Let's just let the local populace jump us first."

"Roarke..." Rainbow muttered.

"Hey." Kera pointed. "Look."

Everyone turned their heads to see.

As the ship passed over a cluster of jagged peaks, they spotted a round plate situated on the very top of it. A two-story shack was situated in the center of the plate, and the crew could see a figure shuffling slowly, slowly out of the front door. In the early dawnlight, a peppery turtle shell glinted. A reptilian head looked up, then smiled a beaked smile before waving limply at the Jury. As the shadow of the ship passed, the turtle continued his long stroll towards the first of several metal hanging bridges fastened between more plates resting atop more stone peaks.

"Well, they seem friendly enough," Props said. She adjusted the goggles over her eyes and blinked at the others. "Unless waving is a turtle's way of saying 'Die a thousand deaths in candle-time.'"

"So, is this it, then?" Ebon remarked. "Is this Alafreo?"

"All of it is Alafreo," Elma said. Everypony turned to her. She stood in the doorframe to the cockpit with a dull expression hanging off her chitinous features. "The province covers a good chunk of the northwest edge of the continent, at least until the land draws dense to the east, beyond the Churning Line."

Rainbow flew down and hovered before Elma. "We could totally use your help in getting around this place, Elma."

The changeling gulped and nodded. "I'm very much willing to do what I can."

"But still... if you're up to it, we could..." Rainbow Dash rubbed the back of her head. "You know..."

Elma nodded. "I've been thinking about it a lot. Especially... uhm... especially overnight." Her eyes fell upon the furthest edge of the group.

Eagle Eye avoided her gaze, fidgeting.

Elma glanced back up at Rainbow Dash. "But... b-but would you be willing to talk to the cityfolk first? I... I-I don't think I'm quite ready to see my family again. I mean..." She winced. "Elma's family..."

"Sure thing." Rainbow nodded. "We'll do whatever we can. So... uhm..." She cleared her throat. "What city is this and how do we find it?"

"Look for a large cluster of brass plates centered around a tall stone spire with pronged peaks. There'll be a bright violet torch burning in a cauldron hanging from the two promontories. It's... r-rather high up, and definitely north from here. There'll be some snow, but no blizzards. At least... hopefully not."

"Uhhh..."

"And the township's name is Abinadi," Elma said. "If you have a hard time finding it, you can ask any of the sentries."

"Sentries?"

"Peak Watchers on small dirigibles," she explained. "They're probably taking off right now as we speak. Eagle could easily spot them. They're always tethered to a rocky Sentry Station on the outlying spires."

"Well, alright." Rainbow nodded and flew out beyond the edge of the ship. "Watching for Peak Watchers. You got all that, EE?"

"Right. On it," the stallion said, peering.

"Is it a bad thing if I'm excited?" Props said in a bouncy tone.

"Speak for yourself," Roarke droned. She sat back on her haunches and folded her forelimbs. "Looks like I'm not shooting anyone today."

PreviousChapters Next