• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 6,444 Views, 11,170 Comments

Urohringr - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and the Noble Jury fly east.

  • ...
40
 11,170
 6,444

PreviousChapters Next
The Worst Kind of Eclipse

"I love you guys..." Rainbow Dash took a shuddering breath and stood between Pilate and Belle on the top deck. "I love you enough to protect you no matter what. And I love you enough to leave you be when the time comes. But we all have to understand... th-that there are things that are simply out of my control." She inhaled heavily, eyes streaming with tears. "No matter how fast I can fly... no matter how awesome I am... the world is simply too dangerous for me to stop every signle horrible thing that happens. What happened in Lerris is terrible. What happened to you guys and Kera is unthinkably bad. But the only thing I can absolutely guarantee that I can control is my loyalty to you. And... and I-I've been so very bad about that, lately..."

She trotted up to Pilate, nuzzling him gently on the side of his head.

"I've left you in the dark. What I thought you needed was a protector. What you've truly needed is a friend."

She side-stepped over to Belle, planting her hooves on the mare's forelimbs.

"I wish you had told me what you knew about Imre, but you aren't the one who murdered her and you aren't responsible for making Shell the monster that he was. None of us are."

She shuffled backwards, hanging her head towards the top deck.

"You all went through something so... so bad... and I spent so much time blaming myself and thinking about my faults that I didn't think of preserving my strength. And that's my love and commitment to you. I felt that keeping my distance and focusing on the journey would be enough. But obviously, it's not. We're falling apart. Lerris happened weeks ago, but it could just as well have been yesterday or today. Nothing's healed, because I've abandoned it. I've abandoned you. And I'm sorry."

Rainbow lifted her head up, gnashing her teeth. "I'm so... so sorry. I love you guys too much to let it go on like this. But I'm not the only one." She clenched her teeth and spoke in a firmer voice. "You need to stop this. Whatever this is. It must go on no further."

Belle hung her head while Pilate kneaded his hooves against the top deck.

Rainbow took a firm step forward. "You both love each other. You're practically heads over hooves for each other! I don't know what it is about Lerris that's gotten you so worked up against each other that the miracle of your survival is like a speck of dust in the wind. You've been given another chance! This is your opportunity to make what's best of your lives, Kera's life, all our lives! Please... please... don't go it alone. Don't do what I did for so long in my anger, sadness, and hopelessness. It took my death at the hands of a massive dragon before I found what it meant to enjoy life again. Don't let something worse happen to you guys as well."

Pilate bit his lip. Belle stared off into the starry expanse.

"Please..." Rainbow murmured. She trotted forward, muzzle trembling. "Please. I want my friends back." She sniffled into the gathering wind. "I want my friends back. I don't want to seem them dead on their hooves when there's still time to help them..."

"Rainbow Dash! There's... something..."

The sound of Celestia's voice broke Rainbow out of her concentration. She blinked, realizing that a heavy gale was kicking at her mane and tail. Pilate gasped in fright, gripping onto the deck beneath him tightly. Belle tilted her head up and squinted towards the east horizon.

"...losing the connection... something... with the spell.."

"Huh?" Rainbow blinked. She glanced down at her neck. The pendant was flickering. What's more, the pale aura of moonlight around her and her friends vanished. "Princess Celestia!"

Her voice dissolved in the gradually building winds. Rainbow looked straight up to see that dark and gray clouds had blocked out the moonlight. Clenching her teeth, she ran towards the bow of the ship, having to stop two or three times to brace herself against the gusts of cold air.

"What is it?!" Pilate stammered frightfully. "What's going on?!"

"It seems like a storm of some sort!" Belle exclaimed.

"It's no regular storm!" Rainbow Dash said. Gritting her teeth, she hoisted herself onto the port side railing of the ship and stuck her hooves out.

"Rainbow, be careful!" Belle said.

"What the fuzz...?" Rainbow murmured. "This isn't right..."

"What isn't?" Pilate asked.

"The clouds..." Rainbow bit her lip. "The mist here isn't responding to my hooves."

"Aren't pegasi endowed with the ability to manipulate weather?"

"Normally..." Rainbow nodded. "It worked in Equestria, and it worked in Ledomare. But why not here?"

Belle gasped, then trembled. "The Strip of Flurries."

Rainbow Dash glanced back.

"Seems like we've made our destination sooner than was planned," Belle said.

"But how's that possible?" Pilate asked. "We had another two days of full speed at this rate!"

Rainbow looked at him.

The zebra's ears folded. "I may be blind, but I have a good memory."

"Could it be..." Rainbow thought aloud, fidgeting. "...that the weather of the Strip of Flurries has moved towards us?"

"You mean it's heading west?" Pilate stammered.

Rainbow said nothing, simply gazing into the thickening storm.

Belle gulped. "Perhaps we should turn around. We can make contact with Luna and Celestia again, then go about planning a way through this mess."

Rainbow Took a deep breath, watching as the mists grew denser and denser around the ship. "Something tells me this 'mess' isn't going away anytime soon." She dried her face with a forelimb and furrowed her brow. "There's no sense in postponing it. We have to pierce on through."

PreviousChapters Next