• Published 9th Nov 2013
  • 7,193 Views, 10 Comments

Saving Derpy Whooves - Junster00741



Derpy was loved by many but soon that love turned into seething anger. Will she be able to stay in Ponyville or will the hatred of the other ponies force her to leave?

  • ...
2
 10
 7,193

Part 2: A Protector's Oath

When morning came we ate breakfast, tended to the animals and were on our way to Applejack’s since we had a long day ahead of us.By the time we got to AJ's place the Apples were already haulling the first batch of apples. Applejack, Applebloom, and Big Mac were working as hard as they could while Granny Smith was sitting on her rocking chair yelling out random things at the top of her lungs.

When Applejack noticed us she waved and galloped over to us, "Howdy y’all!” she said energetically, “ Whatcha doing here so early and who’s the new friend, did y'all want to help out with apple bucking?" she wondered.

We shook our heads and smiled at her energy, “Not right now,” I said happily, “we’ll help you later but we need to talk first."

"Why sure thing, what’s up?" wondered Applejack.

"Before I start, do you know this pony?" I pointed over to Derpy who was watching Applejack with terror filled eyes.

Applejack took a good look at Derpy before shaking her head, “Can’t say ah haven’t seen her, she does look familiar but ah can’t put my hoof on it.” she gave it some thought, mumbling every name she could think though they were all names of her cousins and somehow Big Mac was one of them, “Nope, got nothing.” she said plainly.

I explained Derpy's situation, how I came to this and how we’re approaching this so far. Applejack seemed pleased that I was taking to this my own matter yet I was seeking help, she said it showed I was showing trust, something she’s been working on with me yet I could never understand it. To trust someone is to not have no second thoughts when they give their word yet, I always have a second thought though, no matter who it is, even Fluttershy, I still have second thoughts. Maybe it’s because I overthink everything but Applejack always says i’m spouting nonsense. Funny how to this day, after so many years, I still don’t know what trust is but I’ve lived for so long it no longer bothers me.

"I’m glad y’all told me this,” said Applejack, “it’s horrible to go through something like this but what do you need my help for?”

“We’re not sure,” I said hesitantly, “really we have no plan but we’re going to gather the others up and see what we can think of.”

“Well it’s a start,” mumbled Applejack, “but you can count me in!” she kicked her front legs up excitedly and gave a mighty yehaa!

Derpy seemed grateful that Applejack was lending a hoof but she couldn’t help but to lower her head shamefully, “I guess I was wrong about you too...” she said quietly.

Applejack tilted her head up and smiled, "Don't worry sugarcube. Ah ain't mad or anything, we all make our own mistakes and no pony is perfect. Do you wanna help us with the apples?"

"Sure but what can I do?" wondered Derpy.

“Ya any good at bucking?” questioned Applejack, Derpy gave a doubtful nod, “Well if ya are then go with Cerulean, he’ll show you where ya need to go but make sure y’all have some apple carts with ya for hauling them back.”

"Ok I'll try my best." said Derpy.

"That's the spirit!" said Applejack as she returned to her work.

I took Derpy and Fluttershy to the barn where we took some carts out and went South of the apple fields. There I showed them how to kick the trees without hurting yourself but since this was Derpy’s first time, and Fluttershy was a fragile butterfly, they had some trouble but quickly got the hang of things. By the afternoon we brought back the carts and managed to impress Applejack and the others. We were then treated to some apple pie and pancakes which were out of this world thanks to Granny’s secret recipe.

As we ate I noticed Derpy was proudly smiling at herself, “Like the hard work don’t ya?” I asked simply as I gave her a nudge.

Derpy looked over and nodded, “It feels good,” she said happily, “i’m a bit sore and tired but I got to let some steam out today so i’m thankful for that, not to mention this food.” she mumbled the last part as she stuffed her face with pancakes.

I laughed at her joy, “Well if your mail job doesn’t work out, i’m sure Applejack wouldn’t mind hiring you.”

“Really?” wondered Derpy, “You really think so?”

“I don’t see why not, you were able to get the hang of things pretty quickly and you are a good bucker. I can’t guarantee that you’ll get a job here but if you prove yourself to Applejack then your chances will be pretty high.”

“Oh, right.” said Derpy as the realization came to her, “Well I’ll be sure not to let her down if I do work here.”

Once we finished eating Applejack, Derpy, Fluttershy, and I spent some time on the farm, walking and talking about life and things. Applebloom and Big Mac would’ve been with us if Big Mac hadn’t gone to take a nap and Applebloom had to leave for her Crusader meeting.

"Now what are we going to do with Derpy's problem?" wondered Applejack as she looked over to us.

"Like I told you,” I explained as I kept a steady pace, “We’re going to get the others and see what we can come up with."

“And like I said,” replied Applejack, “at least it’s something but who are we going to see now?”

"Let’s head to Pinkie Pie since she's the closest from here."

"Uhh if we’re going back to town,” said Derpy abruptly, “can I follow you by cloud again?"

“By cloud?” repeated Applejack, “Why by cloud?”

"We don’t mind.” I replied as I turned to Fluttershy, “Mind going with Derpy?"

"If it's ok with her." said Fluttershy.

"I don't mind." said Derpy.

Fluttershy nodded her head as the both of them took shelter in the closest cloud and waited for our que.

“Mind explaining to me why they she needs a cloud?” questioned Applejack as she watched them confusedly.

“She’s scared of being seen in public,” I explained, “from what she’s told us ponies threw stuff at her and she doesn’t want us getting hurt.”

“I see...” said Applejack as she tipped her hat to Derpy, “Well, let’s hope we come up with a good plan then.”

"Any idea where Pinkie Pie is?"

Applejack shrugged her shoulders, "Beats me. Probably at Sugarcube Corner working or doing something only Pinkie Pie could do."

We nodded and signaled the others to follow, we took it nice and slow like since Derpy was afraid of speeding up. Luckily there were some clouds around that Fluttershy and Derpy could to blend in with, if there were anymore I would’ve stopped to check where they were every fives minutes.

We were silent at first until Applejack finally broke the silence, "So what do you reckon Pinkie is doing about now?”

“The usual,” I replied plainly, “either baking or doing something that defies logic at it’s core or bugging Rainbow.”

Applejack chuckled, “Sounds about right, my bet is on her bugging Rainbow but we’ll see.” she looked over to where Derpy and Fluttershy were before looking at me, “So how ya liking this world, is it any better?”

“I think you know the answer to that.”

“Well I wanna hear it from ya.” insisted Applejack.

I smirked a little, “It’s a million times better than my old world, I don’t miss a thing except for my brother and sister. The only way to make things better is if my big brother and sister and Grandpa were here instead of Celestia.”

“Heh, I guess that would make things better for you.” Applejack shifted her gaze to the ground now as her face began to dull, “I still can’t believe she did that, I never thought she was that type of pony. Really, like the rest of Equestria I looked up to her, I thought she was the perfect role model, a true leader but, what she pulled was just..just...so unlike her.”

“I guess even Celestia isn’t perfect after all...” I murmured quietly as my smirk was now gone

We were silent for a moment before Applejack stopped me in my tracks with a serious look now, “I know this is going to be out of the blue,” she said sternly, “but I want ya to remember that whatever happens, if Fluttershy isn’t enough help, come find me and ma family, we’ll do everything we can to help ya, I promise.” from serious to sincere now Applejack began to smile, “You’re part of the Apple Family now and we never leave an Apple alone.”

My eyes widened and filled with tears as she said those words, “R-really?” I muttered as I took a step back to contemplate her words, “I...Have a family now?”

“You’ve always had a family,” argued Applejack kindly, “when you first met Fluttershy, that was the start of yer family and ya best be doing everything in yer power to protect her, that is why your name has Protector in it, right?”

I struggled to get a laugh out, “T-thank you...Applejack, it means...A lot to hear that.”

Applejack only held me as I began to cry softly with joy, it worried Fluttershy and Derpy as they came down and asked if I was alright when they saw my tears. Applejack and I only nodded our heads as I tackled Fluttershy to the ground, I couldn’t express my happiness any other way but it made quite the scene for Derpy as she blushed a little. As for Applejack she merely patted back with her hat and urged us to get a move on since some ponies were coming our direction.

Once we were back on track we double timed it to Sugarcube Corner though Applejack and I accidentally left Derpy and Fluttershy behind so we decided wait inside since we could go for a snack.

"What can I get for you?" greeted Mrs. Cake as we walked over to her counter.

"We’re looking for Pinkie Pie. Know where she is?" Applejack asked.

"We sent her to get some ingredients for a cake we’re baking. Why not wait here. She won't be long." explained Mr. Cake who walked out with a batch of baked goods.

"Alright we’ll wait. Hopefully Fluttershy and Derpy get here before she does. What’s taking them so long anyway?" Applejack wondered.

"We did leave them in the dust but I'll go check."

I walked out and flew up to see if they were close by. As I scanned the area I noticed a cloud slowly making its way to my area so I flew inside to take a peek. Luckily it was them but I accidently scared both of them and nearly made Fluttershy's wings lock up.

"Sorry, what took you so long?" I wondered as I helped Fluttershy with her wings.

"Derpy wanted to take it slow to make sure nopony noticed us. I didn't want to argue so I went along with it." explained Fluttershy as she gathered her bearings.

"Oh well come on. We're waiting for you and for Pinkie to show up."

"Where's Pinkie Pie?" questioned Fluttershy.

"She went to get some things.” I explained, “She'll be back in a bit but come on, Applejack is waiting on us."

We flew down and quickly entered the shop, inside we found Applejack with her back against the window of the shop. When she noticed us she motioned us over to a table where we sat down and took a moment to relax after a long walk. I actually almost dozed off since I put my head down to settle from the overload of emotions earlier.

When Mrs. Cake came over to greet us, she quickly noticed Derpy and her face changed from cheerful to seething anger, "What are you doing here?” she demanded as she slammed her hooves on the table.

I jumped from the jolt of the table and looked up slightly annoyed, “Ugh, what’s gotten your mane in a rut?” I mumbled as I rubbed my tired eyes. Mrs. Cake was only silent as she stared angrily at Derpy.

"H-hello...” muttered Derpy as sank down on her seat, “I’m here to see a friend with Cerulean and his friends.”

“Hmph,” replied Mrs. Cake as she looked over to us with glaring eyes, “well let’s hope your friend gets here quickly, I don’t want another accident.” she left without another word as she stormed into the kitchen.

“The hell set her off...” I wondered as I looked over to Derpy, “You alright Derpy?”

Derpy shook her head as she gritted her teeth in anger, "This is what I meant by them not liking me!" she yelled as she slammed her hooves onto the table, “I did nothing wrong yet they all give me the same dirty look and i’m sick of it!”

"I didn't think it was this bad." said Fluttershy.

"It’s ok sugar cube will figure this out." Applejack placed her arm over Derpy and brought her in closely as Fluttershy comforted her as well.

"I'll go talk to them." Derpy didn't say a word, she just continued to sulk in her misery. The way she looked reminded of me when I was little. No friends, always made fun of and always depressed. This enraged me so as I stormed into the kitchen, it caught Mr. and Mrs. Cake by surprise.

"What the hell was that about!" I shouted angrily towards them.

"We don't need another mess from her!" shouted Mr. Cake.

"Yeah, now go tell Pinkie what you want to tell her and just leave!" ordered Mrs. Cake.

I didn't know why they were acting like this, it was obvious this wasn’t like them but the time it took to figure out everything was longer than I could imagine, "I thought you were nice ponies,” I said begrudgingly, “but I guess I was wrong about the both of you."

They didn't reply back, they just ignored me and went back to cooking. It’s pointless if they’re going to act like this so I went back to the others who were still comforting Derpy.

"I’m sorry. I’m trying to be strong but this has been going on for so long and I just want to give up." said Derpy.

"If we give up then all this was for nothing,” I argued as I took a seat, “plus no way in Equestria would we give up on you.”

Derpy immediately snapped back at me, “Oh save it Cerulean, it’s only a matter of time until you tell me to just get lost so why don’t you save all of us the trouble and just say it!”

I wasn’t fazed in the slightest by her anger, merely because I was still mad over the Cakes, “If I wanted to tell you to fuck off I would’ve done so when I saw you in the alley.”

Derpy’s eyes widened from my words, her mouth opened but no words came out. Applejack and Fluttershy were in the same state as they looked around to see if anypony heard me, luckily they didn’t but I wouldn’t care all that much.

I leaned over to Derpy and looked her dead in the eyes before speaking, “I told you I would help you through this and I don’t go back on my words, I am a Protector and I protect those I hold dearly, that means you to Derpy. I currently hold you, Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle and Spike dearly. When a friend is in trouble, no matter how big or small, I owe it to them to be there for them because I know they would be there for me too and they would definitely be there for you too.”

Derpy’s eyes widen but grew somber from my words as she sank down in shame, "I’m...sorry." she uttered quietly.

"It’s ok I don't blame you. If I was in your position I would probably say the same, but you need to control your anger or else you'll go off on others."

"Why are you really doing this?” Derpy wondered as she looked up to me with tear filled eyes.

I hesitated for a moment before looking at Fluttershy and Applejack who were just watching at this point, taking a moment to sigh I began to explain my reason, "...When I was little I was picked on a lot for no reason. I had no friends and nopony wanted to be my friend. That’s why I'm helping you. Because I don't want the same thing that happened to another pony."

Derpy’s eyes widened in disbelief, “Really? Why would anyone pick on you?”

I only shrugged my shoulders and put on a smile for her, "Don't worry it's all in the past now. You’re not alone on this, remember that."

Derpy began to smile, "Thanks."

"No problem."

We all hugged out next before settling down on our seats, “Wait...Did anypony see Pinkie at all this whole time?” wondered Applejack.

We all exchanged unsure looks to each other before I took it upon myself to go look for her but just as I made my exit I, ironically, ran into a pink mare.

"Oww...My head!" complained the mare before realizing who she ran into, “Oh my gosh Cerulean it’s so good to see you!” said the mare as she embraced me as tightly as possibly.

"Ugh...Hello...Pinkie...Pie.” I muttered as I had the life squeezed out of me, “Can you...Please...PUT ME DOWN!”

“Oh, haha sure thing.” chuckled Pinkie as she literally dropped me to the floor, “What brings you here?” she wondered.

“I came looking for you but luckily and painfully you’re here.”

"I am here!” cheered Pinkie excitedly, “What did you need? Did you want to bake some treats or do you want to throw another party OR-"

"No Pinkie we need to talk." I said abruptly as I cut her off.

Pinkie nodded her head and we went inside so me and the others can finally tell her what going on and see if she can help us. I was confident that Pinkie would help us but if Derpy’s problem is this bad then we’ll need a lot more help. My only fear right now was losing my well being and going on a rampage on other ponies who would dare harm Derpy and my friends. If only I had known the truth behind all this, then maybe, things would've turned out differently.

Author's Note:

Sorry that this possibly took longer than the other but it was only because I was studying for finals at school but i'm finally out and all that's left is graduation. It's a little scary honestly but I hope you enjoyed this part. I had to do a lot of cutting and editing cause there so much unneeded things added and drama and such so yeah. Anyway, hope you like this, let me know what you thought of this if you want and see you in the next part ^_^