• Published 16th Oct 2013
  • 10,521 Views, 66 Comments

A Sisters Promise - GunsNRoses365



Scootaloo has lost both of her loving parents and is all alone. What will happen when her surrogate older sister finds out about her dilemma?

  • ...
10
 66
 10,521

Chapter 4

Arriving at the School, Rainbow stood in front of it and waited patiently for Scootaloo. It wasn't long before a pile of colt and fillies exited the School with Cheerilee standing at the doorway waving goodbye. After about a moment, Scootaloo came out of the School and saw Rainbow Dash waving to her. She ran up to the cyan mare and smiled.

"Hey there Scoots, how was School?" Rainbow asked with a smile on her face.

"Oh, um it was alright." Scootaloo replied.

Rainbow didn't say anything but she could tell something was bothering Scootaloo. She could tell that she was upset about something. However Rainbow decided to talk to her tonight about what was bothering her. Right now she wanted to give her the best afternoon she could give.

"Hey Scoots how about we head to Sugarcube Corner for some ice cream." Rainbow said with a smirk on her face.

Scootaloo smiled and said, "That sounds awesome, thanks Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow picked up Scootaloo and placed her on her back before taking off. When they arrived at the sweet shop, she flew inside and went up to Pinkie Pie who was was working the counter. The hyper pony saw the two headed her way and she put a huge smile on her face.

"Hey Rainbow, hey Scootaloo. What are you guys doing here?" She asked happily

"Hey there Pinkie," Rainbow replied, "We're here to get some ice cream."

"Ooh, that sounds delicious, what can I make you?" Pinkie asked

Rainbow smiled at the little filly on her back and said, "Go ahead Scoots, you can order any flavor you want."

After both Rainbow and Scootaloo ordered their choices, Rainbow paid pinkie the bits she owed her and took the ice cream. The two went over to a table and Rainbow let Scootaloo of her back before the two sat down. Scootaloo got rocky road and Rainbow got peanut butter supreme which was vanilla ice cream topper with peanut butter and chocolate syrup. The two talked happily while eating her ice cream. Scootaloo told Rainbow about how she missed Applebloom and Sweetie Belle. She also admitted that she almost got into a fight with Diamond Tiara after she pushed her and called her a blank flank. However she said that she did the right thing and told Cheerilee because she didn't want to get in trouble with either Cheerilee or Rainbow Dash. Hearing this made Rainbow proud that Scootaloo knew to be the bigger mare. After they finished their ice cream, they talked to each other about whatever came to their minds until the sun was beginning to set.

"Alright, Kiddo, let's head home." Rainbow said before putting the filly on her back. "See you tomorrow, Pinkie." She said to the pink pony behind the counter who was waving goodbye.

Rainbow took off towards her house. By the time she arrived at her home, the sun was completely set. She went inside and let the small filly off of her back before looking at her.

"Alright Scoots, go take a bath while a make us some dinner." Rainbow said calmly before heading into the kitchen.

She looked back and saw Scootaloo head upstairs. When she was out of sight, Rainbow began making dinner for the two of them. As she cooked she began to worry a little bit about the decision she had made concerning Scootaloo. Could she really handle taking care of a little filly, could she be the big sister that she wants to be? Rainbows worries soon melted away when she began to think about the promise she made to Scootaloo's parents. She promised them she would take care of their little filly and she would. As the dinner rainbow made cooled, she heard something fly up next to her and rub her cheek.

"Hey there, Tank!" Rainbow said while giggling.

Rainbow nuzzled her pet tortoise lovingly until her face went red with embarrassment as she saw Scootaloo standing at the doorway giggling.

"Uh, hey there Scoots, come on lets eat dinner." Rainbow said as her face continued to be red.

The two ate quietly as Rainbow noticed a sad look on Scootaloo's face. That one expression brought up Rainbows worries from earlier in the day as Scootaloo finished her dinner and left the kitchen with a small tear escaping her eye. Rainbow quickly finished her dinner and went into the living room only to hear a door close. She quietly went upstairs to the guest room and put her ear to the door. On the other side, she could hear Scootaloo crying.

Knocking on the door, Rainbow asked worryingly, "Scootaloo, can I come in?"

"Y-yes" Scootaloo replied from the other side.

Rainbow slowly opened the door and saw Scootaloo sitting on the bed. She slowly trotted up to her and saw that her face was stained with tears.

She put a gentle hoof on the little filly's shoulder and asked, "Scootaloo, whats the matter, why are you crying?"

Scootaloo shook her head not wanting to answer the question. Rainbow looked at her with a worried expression on her face.

"Come on, please tell me." She said as gently as possible hoping Scootaloo would open up.

Scootaloo once again shook her head in response. Rainbow felt a small tear escape her cheek, she never like seeing those she cared about cry. Wiping the tear away Rainbow sat on the bed beside the little filly and rubbed her shoulder and began speaking to her as gently and sweetly as possible.

"Scootaloo, you can tell me anything. I told you before that I'm your big sister, and I want to help you. So please sweetie, tell me whats wrong, let me help you."

Scootaloo began to weep even more as Dash's voice rang through her ears. Her normal tough and cocky voice instead sounded sweet and motherly. It was a voice Scootaloo longed to hear as her sobs turned into outright crying.

"I-I m-miss them R-Rainbow Dash, I m-miss my mom and d-dad!" Scootaloo wailed as she buried her head into the blankets on the bed and pounded the mattress. "I n-never g-got to s-say I l-loved them o-one more t-time! I n-never got to s-say g-goodbye!"

Rainbow felt absolutely horrible for the little filly after hearing the words she just heard. Rainbow began to remember Twilight's words from earlier in the day. Only Rainbow Dash could be there to comfort Scootaloo and help her get through this painful time in her life. Without saying anything, Rainbow gently picked up Scootaloo and placed her on her lap before pulling her into a gentle and loving hug. She gently rocked the crying filly back in forth as she softly hushed her.

"Shhh....It's going to be alright, Scootaloo. Just let it all out...Shhh."

Scootaloo laid her head against Rainbows soft chest fur and cried while screaming for her parents, even though she knew they would never come. Rainbow continued to rock her while softly whispering in her ear that everything would be alright. Rainbow let the little filly cry as she thought about how she was acting right now. she wasn't acting like the tough Pegasus that Scootaloo idolized. She was showing her softer caring side that she had begun to show ever since she took Scootaloo in. Even though she was the Scootaloo's big sister she was showing the loving motherly side she never knew she had.

Scootaloo cried for about fifteen more minutes until she couldn't cry anymore. Rainbow gently brushed away her tears with her hoof as Scootaloo began to relax in her big sisters embrace. Her fur was warm and her heartbeat was calm and gentle just like her own mothers heart when she fell asleep in her lap and rested her head against her chest.

"Do you feel better, kiddo?" Rainbow asked sweetly with a soft smile on her face.

Scootaloo nodded her head head before looking down in sadness while saying, "I'm sorry you had to see me cry."

Rainbow frowned before saying, "Scootaloo, don't ever apologize for crying again. You miss your parents and your crying because you miss them. It's okay to cry and let it all out. It's not good for you to keep your emotions inside. I know you miss your parents, I miss them too."

Scootaloo looked at Rainbow in confusion.

"You knew my parents?"

Rainbow let out a long sigh before nodding her head and talking to Scootaloo.

"Yes I did, I knew them ever since I was a little filly. Before you were born, your parents were my foalsitters. They were the nicest people I had ever met. After you told me they died I was heartbroken. After I tucked you in last night, I went to my room and cried all night." Small tears began to escape Rainbows magenta eyes. "I never got to say goodbye to them either."
Rainbow brushed her tears away before speaking again. "But, I did promise them something, and it involves you Scootaloo."

"Me?" Scootaloo asked curiously while pointing a hoof at herself.

"Yes," Rainbow replied, "The last time I saw you parents, I made a promise to them. I promised that if anything happened to them, I would take care of their baby as if they were my own little brother or sister. I promised your parents I would take care of you Scootaloo, which is why I'm wanna tell you something awesome."

Scootaloo's mind began putting the pieces together as tears formed in her eyes once again and a small began to grow larger and larger on her face.

"Scootaloo, I'm gonna become your new guardian and become your real big sister." Rainbow said happily

Scootaloo said nothing and buried her head in Rainbow's chest fur once more while crying not tears of sadness, but tears of joy. She cried thank you over and over again as Rainbow wrapped her forelegs around her while wearing a huge smile on her face. The two stayed that way for about five minutes until Scootaloo let out a tired yawn.

Rainbow kissed her on the forehead before saying, "Alright, it's time for bed, little sis."

Rainbow gently tucked Scootaloo in and kissed her on the forehead before making her way out of the room.

"Rainbow wait!" Scootaloo quickly said with a scared look on her face.

"Whats the matter?" Rainbow asked curiously.

"Um..I'm scared of the dark." Scootaloo said sadly "I wanted to tell you last night, but I fell asleep before you left."

Rainbow gave her a soft smile and trotted back to her.

"Don't worry kiddo, I'm gonna tell you something. I was scared of the dark when I was a little filly. I would cry a lot when I had to go to sleep because I was scared. But I remember my mom used to sing me a lullaby that helped me get to sleep. Do you want me to sing it to you?"

Scootaloo nodded her head as Rainbow cleared her thought and began to sing a familiar lullaby.

"Hush now, quiet now"

"It's time to lay your sleepy head"

"Hush now, quiet now"

"It's time to go to bed"

Rainbow was about to continued singing until she Scootaloo fast asleep. Giggling a little, she gently kissed the little filly on the forehead.

"Sweet dreams, little sis." Rainbow said sweetly before leaving the room.

Scootaloo slept peacefully through the night with a happy smile on her face as Princess Luna's moon shined down upon her in a warm comforting glow.

Author's Note:

I hope you all enjoyed reading chapter 4. I apologize for taking so long to make it. The final chapter will be the epilogue of the story with one last sad yet sweet and tender moment as the story draws to a close. I will see you all next chapter.