• Published 12th Oct 2013
  • 597 Views, 6 Comments

Memorial Representation - TheExhaustedBrony



Celestia recalls how her life was saved by a loyal guard.

  • ...
1
 6
 597

Guard White

Celestia walked out to the balcony of her bedroom, not bothering to push the curtains out of the way with her magic, instead just pushing through them with her body. It was nearing night, so she spread her wings and dove down for one of her special visits to someone dear to her.

As she neared the ground, she flapped her wings and let her legs fall, slowly descending to the ground. She landed softly and took a look around the darkening city, the lights on the streets turning on.

She turned her attention to the statue garden, looking for a specific memory. She walked over to the entrance, gathering her location and looking at each statue, until she found just the one she was looking for.

Her eyes glanced over the stone surface carefully. The statue was an exact representation of the day he was immortalized in stone. The way he was reared back on his hind legs was exactly the way she remembered it.

Celestia closed her eyes and soon found herself in a different time. The sun was high in the sky and not a single cloud could be seen for miles. She was standing at a balcony overlooking Canterlot. Below, she could see a crowd of thousands of ponies, all anxiously awaiting her speech.

Celestia looked to her left and saw two guards. Guard White was the only one that caught her attention. Their eyes met and he smiled, causing her face to blush just a little.

She cleared her throat and prepared to give her speech,

“Mares and Gentlecolts of Canterlot, I’ve summoned you all here today to bring to your attention, about the rumors that have recently reached my ears. I want to tell you all that--”

A soft voice forcefully dragged Celestia out of her mind and back into reality. She looked around for the source to find Princess Luna standing beside her,

“Sister, are you still reliving that same memory?”

Celestia nodded, “I owe him everything.”

“It’s been quite some time since that event. His death is something that cannot be changed. Is time not moving swiftly enough for you?”

“As long as he’s never forgotten, he’ll never truly be dead.”

Luna looked carefully into Celestia’s saddened eyes. “Try not to live too long in the past, the present may have surprises for you.”

Celestia looked down to the base of the statue, where the name was engraved. She reached out her hoof to trace the letters. “He was brave. He deserves his spot in time.”

Luna draped one wing over Celestia’s back, moving to embrace her. “I must go to raise the moon, sister. You should get some sleep. Busy as always tomorrow, remember?” Luna smiled and moved away so she could lift herself skyward.

“How long has it been since that day? The day your life ended?” Celestia stared at the statue, bringing herself to her memories once more.

***

“Mares and Gentlecolts of canterlot, I’ve summoned you all here today to bring to your attention, about the rumours that have recently reached my ears. I want to tell you all that the rumours of royalty being responsible for the disappearances is nothing but a falsehood.” Celestia took another glance over the crowd, “This matter now involves me just as much as it involves you. I am putting armed guards on every street to ensure your safety and if the one responsible for these crimes has the courage to show themselves, we’ll be ready to stop them.” Celestia was immediately rewarded with cheering from her subjects below. She smiled, knowing that she brought peace to the minds of many.

“Wonderful speech, your highness.”

Celestia turned to her right to see Guard White staring out into the crowd with a grimace, followed by a chuckle.

“What’s so funny?”

“I just find it amazing that they trust you so much that all you had to do was tell the ponies that you’re not the bad guy, and they love you again instantly, setting aside all their doubts.” White said, regaining his composure.

“Well, it’s my love for them that makes them so accepting of me.”

“I’m aware.” White says, rolling his eyes slightly.

“What’s that for?” Celestia asks, smile growing.

“Don’t know what you’re talking about.” White said, looking away, a glint of light catching his eye.

“Princess!” White shouted, turning his attention to Celestia, rushing towards her. Before she could ask what he was doing, he pushed her out of the way before he looked away from her and bolted upright onto his hind legs.

Celestia was shocked when she saw a spear force it’s way into his shoulder faster than anything she’d previously seen. The spear was thrown with Magic, detailing the precision of where it would have landed otherwise.. in her heart.

“NO!” A mare in the shadows a fair distance away launched herself forward and cast her magic once more on the spear. As the other guards rushed to stop the assassin, the spear dug itself deeper into White’s body, cutting through internal organs, causing him to scream and lift himself higher onto his hind legs. The mare pushed the spear all the way back through White’s body, exiting out below his rib-cage on the other side of his body.

The mare was stopped before the spear could pass through the guard’s body completely and pass to Celestia, but White was completely impaled. He fell to the ground, and Celestia could only watch in shock as one of her guards just sacrificed himself to save her.

Gathering up her resolve, she stumbled her way over to the dying guard. “Wh-White…” She turned his head to face her, and blood was trickling from his mouth as his breathing was shaky, his body quaking in pain.

“H-hey.. prin-princess.” White smiled as he coughed up more blood. “Glad y-you’re.. okay… Princess…”

“Do not speak! Save your energy! You’re going to be alright!” Celestia looked straight into her savior’s eyes. Tears began welling in hers.

“Y-you’re… w-welcome…” His eyes fluttered closed and his head fell to the side, the smile fading from his face as his body lost breath and life.

Celestia couldn't hold back her tears when she rose him up to her chest. She looked up to the assassin, now pinned on the ground, blades at her neck. “Take her away. Now.” The guards nod and take her through the castle to the dungeon.

Celestia closed her eyes and found herself, once again, back in the Canterlot sculpture garden. She scanned the statue once more and softly whispered,

“Thank you.”

Comments ( 6 )

Snarky guard fulfilled his oath.

Damn. Very nicely done.

Nice. A bit rushed in pacing, but this is One-Shotober, so that's to be expected. And I can't think of any changes that wouldn't just bog the story down, either.

Thank you for reminding me all those guards are there for a reason. But, sacrifice is an investment, not a waste, and I would love to know what happened to the would-be assassin, where all this went.

Beautiful... :fluttercry:

dang. not bad, not bad at all.

Login or register to comment