• Published 28th Sep 2013
  • 1,793 Views, 18 Comments

Hydrophobia - The Lunar Samurai



Rainbow dash fears nothing, well almost nothing. So what happens when Twilight gets an interesting letter in the mail that will make Rainbow face her fears.

  • ...
4
 18
 1,793

The Colorful Letter

“Hey rainbow,” Twilight shouted from her hot air balloon. “Wanna go to the lake with us?”

Rainbow quickly trotted to her porch and flew over to Twilight. “The lake?” She asked quizzically. “What’s the occasion?”

“I got this letter in the mail that said I am entitled to one free boat ride!”

“Well… I… I think that might be a false advertisement.” Rainbow said as she quickly scanned over the colorful piece of cardstock.

“I’m sure it’s genuine.” Twilight said as she took the paper from rainbow and pointed to the ‘Harbor Master’s Seal of Approval’. “See? The harbor master even approved it.”

Rainbow put her hoof on her forehead. “Anypony can put words on a page, Twilight.”

“I know that, but Walton’s Wharfside Warehouse wouldn’t lie like that.”

“If you say so, but I’m still skeptical,” Rainbow said as she turned around, preparing to get back to her nap.

“Wait!” Twilight shouted. “Don’t you want to come with us?”

Rainbow bit her lip. I guess I can stick it out for my friends. It’s not really that big of an issue. She looked back at her friend who sat in eager anticipation of an affirmative response. “Of course I’ll go,” Rainbow shouted from her porch. “Just let me grab my stuff.”

“Perfect! Meet me and the rest of the group at the wharf in an hour.” Twilight shouted as she let the balloon descend through the clouds. “Ohhh, this is so exciting!” Rainbow could hear Twilight squee from beneath the layer of suspended vapor.

“Yea, exciting,” Rainbow mumbled as she walked back into her home. “What have I gotten myself into?”


“Didn’t ya say rainbow was coming too?” Applejack asked Twilight as the group waited impatiently at the wharf.

“Yeah, where is she?” Pinkie asked as she lifted up rarity to check beneath her hooves for her cerulean blue friend.

“Put me down!” Rarity commanded.

“But what if you were standing on her?”

“I wasn’t,” Rarity said indignantly as she dusted off her coat. “You should at least ask before you do something like that.”

A rough voice sounded from behind the group, making Pinkie jump. “Didn’t you say there were six of you?” The weathered stallion asked as he counted the group again.

“Oh, there are. The last one is on her way,” Twilight said as she looked back over her shoulder. “I hope.”

“Well don’t keep me waiting,” he grumbled as he walked back toward the tiny boat that barely remained afloat on the water. “I have a very busy schedule.”

Twilight looked to the rest of the group. “Should we just go without her?”

“Nah,” Applejack said. “If she said she was coming, she’ll come.”

“There she is,” Fluttershy said, too quietly for anypony to know she had said anything.

“I just really wish she would show up already.” Rarity complained. “I’m getting hot and all of this sun is starting to bleach my coat.”

“I didn’t know you could get any whiter.” Applejack snickered. “Why you already look like a ghost.”

“Girls, stop fighting. Look, there’s Rainbow.” Twilight said as she pointed to the road to the wharf.

“That’s what I was trying to say.” Fluttershy whispered, but yet again, nopony heard her.

“What is that tacky outfit she’s wearing?” Rarity asked as she squinted and shielded the sun from her eyes. “That orange is outrageously obnoxious.”

“Hey guys,” Rainbow said as she came within earshot of her friends. “I just thought I’d bring along some safety gear,” she said with a nervous laugh.

“Safety gear? Since when have you ever been worried about safety?” Applejack asked as she scratched her head.

“Oh, well I was… um… just kidding.” Rainbow said as she squeezed out of her life jacket and tossed it to the ground. She snickered as she confidently strode onto the dock. “You guys are so gullible.”

The group exchanged a series of curious glances.

“Alright, its now or never, ladies,” the stallion shouted from the rickety boat. “You’ll all have to squeeze through.”

“We-were going in that?” Rainbow asked nervously. “But I thought we were going in a boat ride.”

“This is a boat,” the captain shouted, slightly offended at Rainbow’s comment. “Now climb on in, we don’t have all day.”

It took the captain a good while to get everypony situated and comfortable in the small disheveled boat. Twilight and pinkie took to the bow of the boat, wanting to get every possible ounce of enjoyment from the short cruise. Applejack and Rarity sat on the only two chairs in the boat that overlooked the stern. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy sat in the very center of the boat, clutching each other for dear life.

“Hey Rainbow! Do ya wanna come sit with Rarity and me?” Applejack asked to her frightened friend.

“I-I-I-I’m busy at the moment.” Rainbow replied with a shaky voice. “I’m he-helping fluttershy. Sh-sh-she’s afraid of the water.”

“Suit yourself. Rarity and I just wanted to know when you wanted to get in the water.

“Never!” Rainbow shouted. Immediately the quiet chatter that had filled the air ceased. Rainbow chewed her lip as she realized all eyes were on her. “I mean, I will never leave Fluttershy without a friend.”

“Thanks Rainbow,” fluttershy said as she fearfully looked over the water. “I’ll be fine, you can go swim.”

“Yeah! Come on rainbow, I’ll bet I can swim faster than you can!” Applejack exclaimed as she dove into the water.

“Yeah… Sure. I’ll be right in.” Rainbow said as she shakily to her hooves. Okay Rainbow, stay cool, you can do this. It’s just a little water. What can it hurt? She looked over the side of the boat to the mangled and contorted reflection of her staring back. The water was an ominous dark brown color.

“Well Rainbow?” Applejack asked as she resurfaced. “You gettin’ in or what?”

“Yeah… I’m just-”

“There’s no time like the present!” Pinkie shouted as she jumped into the water, pulling Rainbow Dash with her.
Time crawled to a stop as Rainbow watched the ominous water come toward her. When she hit its amorphous surface her muscles locked up in fear. The only thing she could hear was the sound of the bubbles rising through the water and muffled voices of her friends. She tried to scream for help, but only more bubbles rose in front of her eyes. As she breached the water she tried to take in a deep breath of air, but only succeeded in taking on water.

“Rainbow? You okay?” was the only thing she heard before she dropped back below the surface. She tried to expel the water from her lungs, but her coughs and gags did nothing but worsen the situation. As she struggled to fight against the water her eyes slowly closed.


“Is she going to be okay?” Rainbow could hear Pinkie ask through the haze of reality as she slowly came to. “I didn’t mean to drown her, honest. I thought she could swim.”

“Well you thought wrong.” Rainbow muttered half dazed.

“Rainbow!” Pinkie shouted as she hugged her friend. “We thought you were dead!”

“She thought you were dead,” Twilight corrected as she tore Pinkie from Rainbow. “How do you feel?”

“Weak,” Rainbow moaned as she rubbed her head.

“Why didn’t you tell us that you couldn’t swim?” Twilight asked. The room grew silent in eager anticipation of the answer.

“Well… I…” Rainbow stuttered as she tried to think of some other reason than fear. “I… I… I was embarrassed.”

“Now look here sugarcube,” Applejack started. “So is Rarity.”

“I am not!” Rarity protested. “It dirties up my coat, that’s all.” She cast an angry look at Applejack who was unsuccessfully holding in a snicker.

“It’s okay to have fears Rainbow, but next time could you please tell me about them. This whole mess could have been avoided if you had just told me you couldn’t swim,” Twilight said. “Honesty is the best policy after all.”

“Yeah, I suppose you’re right. I’m sorry about making you guys cut your cruise short.”

“It was less than glamourous.” Rarity said as she tried to wipe a black smudge off of her coat. “That was less like a cruise and more like a fishing trip anyway.”

“I think we have all learned an important lesson here today.” Twilight said. The moment the words came out of her mouth, spike withdrew his paper and quill.

“Dear princess Celestia, today I learned that you should always admit your fears to your friends, especially when those fears could threaten the rest of the ponies involved. I also learned that those colorful letters you get in the mail are almost always full of horrible deception and lies, even if they say they are official. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.”

Comments ( 18 )

Omfg. That picture. Perf. :heart::rainbowkiss::rainbowlaugh:

3271511
Found it in 10 seconds flat by googling "drowning rainbow dash." It was licensed under creative commons so I happily obliged.

Man! who knew Rainbow was afraid of drowning:rainbowlaugh: you hurt my guts!:raritydespair:

What is with BLUE SPEEDER WITH THE FEAR OF WATER

3271631
Were you the downvoter? If so, I would love an explanation.

3271634 did even understand what i just say,

I just saying

what is up with that

3271637
Nothing, I think I understood your comment. My gathering is that you have disdain for choice of topic as it is cliche and overused. Quite frankly I had never come across this before (not to imply that it did not exist before this story was published. Its quiet obvious that it did if I was able to find a vector of it so quickly.)

So, Rainbow's afraid of drowning... I wonder what else the mare fears...

images.sodahead.com/polls/003400853/38fa4b3fc76064a7bb85b49e9d9d108b_xlarge.png

Well that's one thing me and Dash fear...

This was amusing.
On a related note: It's my head canon that Pegasi are the best swimmers of the three sub-species. They should put their wings to good use underwater. Realistically this shouldn't work too well, but since Pegasi wings are apparently so flexible (one might say they're made of rubber) that it might as well should. Floating above water should work though.

3273035

MY HEAD CANNON IS BETTOR :flutterrage:
Actually I agree. I have always thought that a manta ray would make a super efficient high range, altitude plane (as well as many other underwater species to aircraft.) There are a lot of similarities between aerodynamics and hydrodynamics. It fascinates me, but al-
I'll shut up now. I'm doing that Twilight thing again. :twilightblush:

Edit: yes, I have a cannon on my head that fires out pony head canons. Deal with it.

3273059 I actually like long winded speeches. Especially interesting stuff like that.

so rainbow dash is sonic now (I have not read)

3275364 only because you asked nicely. :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment