• Published 26th Sep 2013
  • 6,788 Views, 106 Comments

A Magical Discovery - GunsNRoses365



Twilight finds a baby unicorn on her doorstep one night. Can she be the one to show him the love and care of a mother?

  • ...
7
 106
 6,788

Chapter 6

"Come on, Shadow Light, you can do it!" Twilight cheered as her son's horn began to glow.

Shadow Light used every bit of strength he had to try and lift the book in front of him with his magic. The book began to glow for about a second before the glowing red aura around it faded away. The book landed on the ground with a thud and Shadow Light stamped his hoof on the ground in frustration.

"It's no use Momma, I'll never be able to do magic like you!" he said sadly as he sat down in sadness with his back turned towards his mother.

Twilight sighed and gave her son a sad smile even though he wasn't looking at her.

It's been six years since Twilight adopted Shadow Light. During that time Shadow has become a very sweet colt but he can also be a little bit stubborn, but Twilight still loves him all the same. Shadow can also be a little bit timid around new ponies. His big brother Spike has tried to help him be a little less shy but has not been very successful.

Slowly trotting up to look Shadow in the eyes, she saw small tears rolling down them. Twilight grabbed her son and gently pulled him into her loving embrace.

"Oh, Shadow Light, don't say that you just need some more practice." she said sweetly as rubbed his side with her hoof. She hated hearing him talk like that when he couldn't do a spell.

Over time Shadow's magic grew as weak as Twilight's magic when she was a filly. Even though he strives to be just as good with magic as his mother he can't seem to do some of the basic spells. Twilight tries to encourage her son that he will do better, but anytime Shadow fails he judges himself far to harshly.

However, Shadow Light's magic wasn't always weak. There are several times where his magic will sometimes act up when he gets angry or scared, and he will do uncontrollable blasts of powerful magic. These outbursts have caused him several problems in the past. When Shadow was old enough to go to school he was bullied by several other colts and fillies because of his outbursts of magic. The bullying became so bad that Twilight pulled him out of school and began to home school him. During the weekdays Twilight would teach him the basic things like math and history in the mornings. In the afternoons as business in the Library began to settle she would teach him magic.

Looking up at his mother, Shadow Light gave her a small smile and broke the hug. He was about to try again until Twilight put her hoof on his shoulder and gave him an expected look.

"Shadow, What did I tell you about not taking a break from using magic?" She asked in a soft but firm tone.

Shadow let out a sigh and replied "That If I don't take a break I could hurt myself from trying to hard."

"That's right," Twilight replied "We'll try again tomorrow, why don't you go out and play for a while."

Shadow smiled and said, "Alright, Momma, I'll be back later."

Twilight leaned down and kissed him on the forehead before saying, "Alright, sweetheart, just be sure to be back before dark."

With that said, Shadow Light kissed his mother on the cheek and ran went out the door with Twilight watching him leave.

Strolling through the town, Shadow Light looked around at the goods ponies were selling as well as other ponies who gave him a happy smile and waved hello to him. Even though he was smiling Shadow was actually very sad on the inside. Everyone in Ponyville was nice to him but Shadow didn't have any actual friends. Spike was the only one who ever played with him but he was at Rarity's right now. Shadow Light has tried in the past to make some friends but because of his random bursts of magic he was made a social outcast by all the colts and fillies at school.

As Shadow walked past the town fountain he felt a sharp pain on the back of his head.

"Ow!" He whined as he rubbed the back of his head with his hoof.

Turning around, he saw a small stone on the ground as well as laughter.

"What's the matter Shadow Light!?" A cruel voice said

looking towards the source of the voice Shadow began to shake a little bit. Coming his way were a group of ponies led by a filly with a pearl white coat with a dark blue mane and tail and on her flank was a sparkling diamond.

"H-Hi St-Star" Shadow said nervously

Star was the daughter of one the rich ponies in town and was one of Shadow Light's bullies. She constantly teased him for his magic problems and being Twilight's son but she mainly teased him for not having a cutie mark.

"Aww...you hear that everypony the wittle Momma's boy know my name." She teased in baby talk as all the colts and fillies behind her laughed

Shadow began to shake even harder as Star began circling him.

"So why are you out here blank flank, did your Mommy not give any homework or did you set your house on fire with your stupid magic?" she teased cruelly as she flicked his nose with her tail.

Stars friends howled with laughter as Shadow rubbed his nose.

"W-What do you want S-Star?"

Star giggled and said, "I was just wondering why you bothered to show your ugly face out here. I mean how can you possibly think anyone in Ponyville likes a freaky unicorn who can't control his magic?"

the group behind star laughed like maniacs as some of them were rolling on the floor laughing. Shadow couldn't say anything as tears rolled down his face and as Star glared at him.

"I'm also here to make you pay after you turned me into an icky bug with your weird magic at School. I ought to have my Daddy sue your Eggghead mother and throw you in the Everfree forest."

the crying shadow Light covered his head with his hooves and silently wished that Star and her friends would go away and leave him alone.

"You really are pathetic Shadow Light, I mean you actually believe your mother who's a bigger nerd than you actually loves you?" Star said cruelly

As that comment left Star's mouth, the fountain turned and as if by some miracle the water began to spray out of control and sprayed Star who screamed in as she looked at her fur.

"AAAAH! MY BEAUTIFUL COAT!" She yelled at the top of her lungs before looking at Shadow with rage filled eyes. She thought he was the one causing the water spray her. "YOUR GOING TO PAY FOR THAT YOU LITTLE FREAK!"

Before she could do anything the out of control fountain sprayed her her again as well as Shadow Light but Shadow didn't care. Star continued screaming as the water began spraying her and her friends as well. They eventually all ran off to get away from the fountain and Shadow Light.

Some Ponies eventually turned off the water and Shadow laid on the ground and started to cry. Stars cruel words continued to ring in his head.

"W-why did sh-she say that?" he sobbed as he tried to calm himself down but was unsuccessful.

Shadow continued to cry until he heard laughter he looked to see two identical earth pony colts laughing. They each had light amber fur and dark brown manes as well blue eyes.

"Hahaha! I can't believe that worked!" one of them said as the other got closer to the fountain. He climbed up to the top of it and pulled out something, it was a plug.

"The old fountain plug prank, what a classic!" The one at the top of the fountain shouted.

"Bonus points for splashing, Star!" the first one said before laughing happily as the other jumped down from the fountain and laughed with joy.

The two colts continued laughing until they saw Shadow Light. They smiled and started trotting up to him. Shadow shook in fear as the colts stood in front of him.

"Hey, you okay?" the one on the left said cheerfully

"Yeah, you look a little wet!" the one on the right finished at the two laughed at their joke.

Shadow Light however thought they were teasing him just like Star was and ran off crying. The two colts looked at the fleeing colt in shock before chasing after him.

"Hey, wait!" one of them said.

The two colts thought they lost Shadow Light until they saw him underneath a tree in the park crying. The two carefully approached him hoping that he didn't run off again. Shadow saw them and backed himself up against the tree while whimpering in fear.

"Hey," one of the colts said hoping not scare Shadow Light.

"We didn't mean to upset you back there." the other one said

"Yeah," the first one quickly said. "We were just trying to get a laugh out of you. But I guess that wasn't our best idea."

Shadow began to calm down because he now knew the colts weren't trying to be mean to him. He looked at the two colts with tears rolling down his cheeks

"S-so you g-guys made the fountain s-spray Star?" he asked curiously.

The two colts smiled and said at the same time "Yep!"

"Allow us to introduce ourselves," the colt on the left began "I'm Zip and this is my twin brother Zap!"

Zap smiled and said, "We just love having fun, pulling pranks, and making ponies laugh. What happened at the fountain was our best idea yet!"

Zip high hoofed his brother before saying, "Now that you know who we are, we want to know who you are."

The twins sat in front of Shadow who said nervously, "M-my names, Shadow Light."

Zip and Zap just smile at Shadow before reaching out a hoof. Shadow each of their hooves and shook them.

"Well, Shadow Light," Zap began "Why would you be crying on such a glorious day?"

Shadow looked down in sadness as he remembered Stars cruel words about him. Zip saw Shadow's sadness and put the pieces from earlier together.

"Let me guess, Star?" he said while cringing at the mention of the spoiled filly's name.

Shadow just nodded his head before speaking.

"She was making fun of me because I have problems controlling my magic sometimes and also because I don't have a cutie mark yet. All the other colts and fillies like to bully me and don't want me around."

Zip and Zap feel bad for trying to make a joke to Shadow Light earlier, but they were happy they were able to stop Star's tormenting. The twins looked at each other for a moment and smiled sadly when they realized that they had something in common with Shadow Light.

"We know how you feel, Shadow" Zip said

"Nopony wants us around either," Zap finished "All the colts and fillies make fun of us sometimes because we do everything together and we like to pull pranks on them sometimes."

Shadow had now stopped crying and gave the twins a sad smile.

"I'm sorry." he said sadly

"Hey, don't be," Zap quickly replied, "We don't let ponies like Star get to us, we may be brothers but we're also friends."

Zip put a foreleg around his brother and Shadow smiled at them happily before looking back down in Sadness.

"I don't have any friends." he said as a few tears formed in his eyes.

Zip and Zap smiled and helped Shadow Light to his hooves before each of the put a foreleg around Shadow's shoulders

"Well you do now!" they said together.

Shadow gasped and a huge smile began to form on his face.

"R-Really?" He stuttered happily.

Zip nodded as Zap said, "We like you Shadow Light, and everyone needs a friend."

Shadow was at a lost for words he couldn't believe he finally had friends. He couldn't be happier than he was at that moment, but that happy moment was interrupted by the chime of the Ponyville Clock Tower and the setting of the sun.

"Oh No! I need to get home!" Shadow said as he realized how late it was getting.

"Where do you live?" Zip asked

"The Golden Oak Library!" Shadow replied

The twins smiled as Zap said, "That's not to far from here, come on, we'll race you home!"

With that said the three colts took off to the Shadow's home with smiles on their faces. When they arrived Shadow said goodbye and ran into the Library."

"Momma, Momma!" Shadow yelled throughout the Library as Twilight came down the stairs.

"There you are Shadow Light!" She said happily as Shadow jumped into her.

She was just able to catch Shadow and hold him as he happily said, "Momma, I finally made some friends!"

Twilight gasped and said, "That's wonderful sweetheart! You'll have to tell me all about them!"

Shadow Light smiled as he hugged his mothers neck and began telling her everything that had happened today.

Author's Note:

I hope you all enjoyed reading chapter 6! I apologize for taking so long to make it. I had quite a bit of trouble making this chapter because I wasn't sure how to make the first chapter after the time skip, I hope this was an enjoyable chapter. I want to thank you all for the love and support of this story. It seems that Shadow Light has made some very colorful new friends! However there is one more friend that Shadow will meet. I'll see you all next chapter :twilightsmile: