• Published 26th Sep 2013
  • 6,788 Views, 106 Comments

A Magical Discovery - GunsNRoses365



Twilight finds a baby unicorn on her doorstep one night. Can she be the one to show him the love and care of a mother?

  • ...
7
 106
 6,788

Chapter 3

The sun began to set and as she was requested, Twilight was getting ready to head to Canterlot with the baby unicorn. She very carefully wrapped him in a blanket so he could be warm. The princess had written set one more letter saying that she would be sending a carriage to personally escort Twilight and the child to the castle. Going upstairs, Twilight saw that spike was once again asleep and she didn't want to wake him. She wrote a quick note that said where she went and left it on the table. When she finished, The carriage arrived outside the library with the sleeping infant being gently levitated with her magic.

Once she was inside the carriage she levitated the colt into her forelegs and cradled him close to her. The baby snuggled snuggled into Twilight's chest fur and let out a soft yawn. A smile formed on twilight's face and a small tear escaped from her eye but she quickly brushed it with her hoof. She could only hope that the princess would point her in the right direction. The moon began to rise when the carriage finally arrived at the castle. The baby opened his eyes and looked into the loving violet eyes of the mare that held him. He began giggling and babbling happily and reached out for her. Twilight nuzzled his stomach and gave him a kiss on his muzzle. She put the child on her back and made sure he was calm and still before going anywhere. She then made her way into the castle and into the the throne room.

When she arrived at the throne room there was guard there that blocked her path. However, before Twilight could say anything, the guard began to speak.

"Welcome, Twilight, the princess has been expecting you. She request that you meet her in her royal chambers." he said to the young unicorn

Twilight nodded her head and made her way to Celestia's bedroom. When she arrived, she knocked on the large golden door and it was soon answered by the princess herself. The teacher and student hugged each other for a moment before Celestia allowed Twilight inside. Once she was in the room the princess offered her some tea while the baby on her back looked around his new environment with curiosity. Twilight accepted the tea and used her magic to sip the tea. The baby started trying to grab the cup making both Twilight and Celestia giggle.

Princess Celestia gently smiled at the young infant before saying, "The curiosity of a newborn is a wonderful thing."

Twilight smiled at the baby and took him into her forelegs. She gently stroked his mane as the princess finished her tea.

Celestia let out a long sigh and began to speak once more.

"Twilight, you wrote in your letter that you could feel strong magic coursing through the baby's body. Can you try to explain what you mean?"

Twilight let out a sigh and nodded her head before speaking.

"It's not dangerous magic It's just very strong magic. It's not as strong as my magic or yours but it still feels oddly powerful even for a newborn baby. I know baby unicorn magic is very strong and chaotic, but this little one's magic feels different like it's more powerful than regular unicorn magic."

The princess listened to Twilight's every word. She then found an answer.

"Well, Twilight," she began "Some unicorns have more powerful magic inside them. It's nothing to be worried about, it just means that this young child has great potential when it comes to magic. He would no doubt be able to master the basic spells quickly with proper guidance and direction."

Twilight nodded her had in understanding. She then gently smiled at the young child in her forelegs. He began to yawn and whimper, letting twilight know he was tired. Twilight giggled and gently rocked him until he fell asleep. She gently kissed him on his muzzle before looking at the princess. Now there was only one question left to answer.

"Princess," Twilight began "What should I do with this little one."

Celestia looked at Twilight curiously

"What do you mean, my dear?" she asked

"I'm confused," Twilight replied. "I don't know what to do with him. The note that I read when I found him asked me to take care of him. I don't know if I have what takes to be a mother. I just don't know what to do."

A few small tears escaped from Twilight's eyes. She brushed them away before they fell onto the baby. Celestia levitated a tissue over to Twilight and Twilight quickly wiped her tears away and blew her nose.

"Twilight, do you really want my advice?" The Princess asked curiously

Twilight nodded her head and Celestia gave her a gentle smile.

"I think you should do nothing." she said

Twilight looked at her in confusion before asking, "what do you mean?"

Celestia giggled and said, "I mean you should not worry about doing anything with the child. You should become his mother and raise him as your own."

Twilight continued to stare at the princess in confusion before saying, "But I still don't think I can, Princess."

Celestia softly hushed twilight before laying a wing over her. She then spoke to Twilight in the softest and gentlest of voices.

"Twilight, listen to me. you can take care of him, your just afraid. Remember you are the one who has raised Spike since he was a newborn. I was there to guide you in the beginning, but you were the one who cared for him the most. If I recall when you first started taking care of him on your own you were worried that you wouldn't be able to. But you were able to take care of him on your own, and you have been able to do the same with this child. You have shown him the loving care of a great mother. He needs you, Twilight."

Twilight listened to the princess every word.

"But what about his magic?" She asked

The princess giggled and said, "What better unicorn to teach him magic than my most faithful student, who is the most magically gifted unicorn in all of Equestria."

Twilight blushed a little bit before looking on that sleeping infant in her forelegs. She gave him a gentle smile and kissed him on the forehead. She then began to realize how much she has come to care for him. Everything she had done to take care of him came to her naturally. She had held him, fed him, and rocked him to sleep, just as her own mother had done for her, and just like she had done for spike when he was a newborn. A small smile began to form on her face. Maybe she could take care of him."

"Do you really think I can do this?" Twilight asked the princess

Celestia gave Twilight a warm motherly smile and said, "Listen to you heart, Twilight. If anypony can take care of him, it's you."

Twilight let out a sigh and looked at the baby once again. He snuggled into Twilight's chest fur and began sucking his hoof. A small tear escaped from Twilight's eye a she gently kissed him on the forehead. The princess was right, he needed her.

With new found confidence Twilight let out a sigh of relief before saying to the princess, "Alright, I'll become his mother. You're right Princess, I can take care of him."

The princess let out a sigh of relief before saying, "I'm glad you now realize that Twilight. I will send you the adoptions papers tomorrow. I suggest you head back to Ponyville. I wish you a good night and a congratulations on becoming the little one's mother."

Twilight smiled and bowed her head in respect to the princess before thanking her. She then put the sleeping child on her back made her way to the exit. She was ready to head back to Ponyville but she needed to do one more thing before she left Canterlot. She was just about to open the door when the princess spoke up.

"Oh I forgot to ask?" She began, "What is the little one's name going to be?"

Twilight thought for a second. She had forgotten that the baby didn't have a name yet. She thought long and hard before coming up with the perfect name. She looked at the child sleeping peacefully on her back and gave him a gentle kiss before telling the princess her new son's name.

"His name is, Shadow Light."

Author's Note:

Here is chapter 3. I hope you enjoyed. I apologize for It not being a very long chapter. Next chapter is not going to be very long either. Hopefully you'll will still enjoy it though. I want to thank everyone for their love and support. I'll see you all next chapter.