• Published 26th Sep 2013
  • 6,788 Views, 106 Comments

A Magical Discovery - GunsNRoses365



Twilight finds a baby unicorn on her doorstep one night. Can she be the one to show him the love and care of a mother?

  • ...
7
 106
 6,788

Chapter 2

Princess Celestia's sun began to rise in the horizon as Spike began to wake. He did a few small stretches and let out a loud yawn. Getting out of his basket, he went downstairs to see how Twilight was doing since last night. When he arrived, he saw her sitting by the fireplace. She was cradling the baby unicorn colt she had found last night and his head was resting in the crook of her foreleg. She was busy feeding him a warm bottle of milk from a baby bottle that she has kept since she first started taking of Spike. As the baby continued to drink the milk, Twilight looked up and saw her number one assistant smiling at her.

"Good Morning, Spike." She said gently

"Hey, Twilight," Spike replied happily "Did you sleep alright last night."

Twilight nodded her head. After she had rocked the baby to sleep last night he didn't wake up until a few minutes after her. After a minute, the baby was halfway done with milk. Twilight put the bottle down and quickly burped him. Spike walked over to the infant and stroked his mane gently. The baby started trying to grab Spike's hand but then quickly turned his attention to the bangs on Twilight's mane. he started playing with them while babbling happily. Twilight gave the child a gentle smile before turning her attention to Spike.

"Do you want me to send the letter to, Princess Celestia?" Spike asked her curiously.

Twilight nodded her head and said, "Yes, Spike, hopefully she can help me figure out what to do."

Spike nodded his head before going over to the table where the scroll he had written last night laid unmoved. He took a deep breath and used his magical fire to send the scroll. Looking back at Twilight, he saw her trying to get the baby to settle down.

He walked up to her and said, "You know, your doing a pretty good job taking care of him, Twilight."

Twilight blushed and gave Spike a small smile before saying, "Thanks, Spike, but I don't know what to do. Whoever left that note wanted me to take care of this baby colt. I just don't know if I'm really capable of being a mother yet. I just hope the princess knows what to do."

Twilight then looked down at the baby who looking around curiously before trying to reach out to the bottle of milk. He started to whimper and whine as he reached for the bottle. Twilight settled him back into the crook of her foreleg before feeding him the rest of the milk. The baby began drinking happily as Twilight softly smiled at him. She then began to think about her friends.

"Spike, I'm sorry to ask but can you go find our friends and tell them to come here." Twilight asked gently

Spike saluted and said, "Don't feel sorry, Twilight, you just take care of the little guy and I'll be back before you know it."

With nothing left to be said spike went out the door, leaving Twilight and the baby colt alone. Twilight looked back down at the infant and gently nuzzled him as he drank the milk. After a few minutes, he finished of the milk and Twilight burped him once more. The baby then saw Twilight's horn and started trying to grab it. Twilight softly smiled as she held the infant and watched him try to grab her horn. he really was an adorable little colt and he was starting to rub off on her. Twilight then heard her stomach growl and she remembered she had not eaten breakfast yet. The baby let a soft yawn and Twilight gently kissed him on the forehead while giving him the gentlest of smiles.

"It looks like someone's ready for a nap." She said to the baby sweetly.

She then got up and went over to the basket she found him in last night. She placed him inside and covered him up. However the baby wouldn't fall asleep. He held out his little forelegs to Twilight and began whimpering and whining once more. Twilight sat down and stroked his mane

"No, no, no," Twilight said as she tried to get the child to settle down. "It's time to take a nap, little one."

She then began to hum to him the same lullaby she hummed last night. The baby heard Twilight's melodious voice and yawned once again before falling asleep. Twilight gently kissed him on the forehead before getting up. With the baby asleep, she went into the kitchen to make herself some breakfast.

About an hour passed and Twilight was able to finish breakfast and take a bath before her friends had arrived. When she returned downstairs to check on the baby, she heard a knock on her door. Twilight guessed it was her friends and when she opened the door she saw that she was correct. Standing in front of her were all of her best friends as well as spike. Before she let them in she put a hoof to her mouth telling them to be quiet. Spike and the rest of the main six nodded their heads and Twilight stepped aside to let them inside.

When they entered she took the baby colt out of the basket and went to sit in a chair by the fireplace. She motioned for her friends to come over. When they arrived, they awwe'd when they finally saw the sleeping infant cradled in twilight's forelegs. They all gently smiled at him as he snuggled his head into Twilight's soft chest fur and began sucking his hoof.

"Oh he's such an adorable little darling." Rarity said sweetly and happily

"You're right about that Rar," Applejack said gently but quietly. "But if you don't mind me askin' Twi, where did the little feller come from?"

Twilight let out a sigh and she began to explain to her friends the events that had happened last night. She told them about how she found the baby on her doorstep and about the note that asked her to take of him. She also told them about the feeling of strong magic inside of him. Everyone listened intently. Pinkie was listening as well but she was also getting closer and closer to the baby. She was always excited to meet new ponies now matter how old they were.

"What's his name..um if you don't me asking?" Fluttershy asked shyly.

Twilight shook her head and said, "I don't know, there was no name on the note."

Pinkie pie was now to close to the baby for comfort. This worried Twilight a little bit but before she could say anything, the colt opened his eyes and he was staring into the large blue eyes of the hyper pink party pony. The colt began to whimper and make and make faces of fear.

"Ooh the cutie's making funny faces." Pinkie said excitedly before making funny faces of her own.

The colt now began to cry and scream in fear of the hyper pink pony.

"Pinkie, your scaring him!" Twilight snapped sternly before Applejack pulled the pink pony away from the baby and back to the group.

"Oh hehe...sorry. I got carried away" Pinkie said sheepishly while rubbing the back of her neck.

Twilight rolled her eyes and began to softly hush the crying infant in her forelegs.

"Shh...It's okay, sweetheart, I'm here." she cooed sweetly.

The baby's cries quieted down a little bit, but he continued to cry as Twilight softly hushed and rocked him until he fell asleep. After he was once again asleep, Twilight let out a sigh of relief and brushed away the tears from his face.

Spike then came up to Twilight and showed her a scroll before saying, "I forgot to tell you that the princess replied to your letter after I left. I was going to come back and tell you, but I decided to wait until I found the others."

Twilight nodded her head and looked at Fluttershy.

"Fluttershy, could you hold him for a few minutes?" She asked her.

The butter coated Pegasus nodded in response and Twilight carefully handed the sleeping infant to her. Fluttershy cradled the baby close to her gently rocked him as Twilight read the letter aloud.

"My dearest Twilight,

I thank you for letting me know about the events that have happened. I ask that you come to Canterlot later this evening with the child so I may see him for myself.

Princess Celestia"

Twilight let out a long sigh. She had hoped the princess could help her a bit more. However it was probably best to let her see the baby for herself.

"So, what are you going to do, Twilight?" Rainbow asked curiously

Twilight shook her head and said, "I don't know, Rainbow, I guess I'll have to wait until this evening to find out. I know the letter asked me to take care of him, but I just don't know if I can be a good mother for him."

"Well don't worry," Rainbow said with a smile on her face in a confident tone of voice. "I'm sure the princess will point you in the right direction."

Everyone nodded in agreement as the baby colt began to wake. Fluttershy gently kissed him on the muzzle and he began to play with her long pink mane while giggling and babbling happily. He eventually caught Fluttershy's mane and he put some of it in his mouth and started sucking on it. Fluttershy giggled at the sight of this and everyone else did as well. Fluttershy then saw on the clock on the wall and gasped when she saw the time.

"Oh goodness, I need to get home. I haven't yet fed my animal friends." She said quietly before handing the baby in her forelegs back to Twilight.

"I hate to be rude but I must leave as well," Rarity said before flicking her mane. "Let me know what the princess says, Twilight, darling."

"Same goes for the rest of us, Twi. I'll see ya later" Applejack said happily before heading out the door to return home.

Pinkie waved goodbye to Twilight and Spike before bouncing out the door. Rainbow quickly asked if she could check out a Daring Do book and twilight nodded her head. The cyan Pegasus mare grabbed a book and checked it out before saying goodbye.

When she left Twilight looked down at the infant in her forelegs and smiled at him. She figured it would be best to feed him once again before the evening came. The bottle she fed him this morning wasn't very much. But before she did she saw Spike come out of the kitchen with a gem in his hand.

"Hey Spike, How about you take the day off today. I'm gonna go ahead and close the library for the day." She said to him

Spike smiled and asked, "Really, are you sure?"

"Nopony ever comes in today anyway." Twilight said as the baby began playing with her bangs again.

Spike quickly nodded his head in agreement.

"Alright then, I'm gonna go take a nap." he said as the baby began to pound on Twilight.

She held his little hooves before replying, "Alright, I'm gonna feed the baby again and let him take another nap. He's starting to get a little fussy."

Spike chuckled and said, "Good Luck, Twilight."

He then ran upstairs as Twilight giggled. The baby continued to pound on Twilight when she heard his stomach grumble.

"Okay little one, Let's give you some more milk." She said to the baby sweetly before going into the kitchen.

She levitated the bottle with her magic and the baby tried to grab the bottle. Twilight giggled at the child as she put the bottle on the table and used her magic to fill it halfway with milk. She didn't want to upset his stomach. After putting a top on the bottle she used a heating spell she learned to warm the milk until it was the perfect temperature. The baby began pound on Twilight's chest again while babbling.

Twilight giggled and said, "Alright, alright, settle down."

She then sat back in her chair and put the baby's head back into the crook of her foreleg. She then put the bottle in his mouth and held it while he drank the milk happily until it was finished. With the bottle empty the baby began to cough a bit violently when he was finished he started crying. Twilight gently hushed him and nuzzled him. The baby continued to cry until Twilight started to sing to him another soft melody that her mother had sang to her when she was a baby. The crying colt once again heard her beautiful voice and fell asleep almost instantly. Twilight gave him a soft and motherly smile and decided to hold him for a few more minutes before tucking him in.

She gave him a gentle kiss on the forehead before saying, "You really are adorable."