• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 1,361 Views, 3 Comments

Night Eternal - WeirdDreamer



What if Nightmare Moon had beaten Celestia?

  • ...
1
 3
 1,361

Bad Moon Rising

Night Eternal: Bad Moon Rising



Nitrogen sloshed under her hooves as Twilight Sparkle made her way through the streets of Ponyville. She bowed as she passed the statue of Nightmare Moon at the city center, then felt something impact her head. It didn't really hurt, but even her leathery skin appreciated caresses more than blunt trauma. A roof tile rolled off her head and fell down next to her.

"Sorry!" The ethereal voice came from above. Twilight lifted her gaze and saw a familiar semi-transparent gray figure above her. "I just don't know what went wrong!"

"That's okay, Derpy." She couldn't really blame the ghostly pegasus. Even Nightmare Moon herself had been forced to admit she had no idea how the bubble-butted ghost could crash into things despite being intangible. Every possible test the academics and the god-queen could think of had never been able to catch even a tiniest hint. Finally the Lady had given up and muttered something about "lineage", which was an entirely unsatisfactory answer, yet Twilight herself had fared no better despite her ongoing efforts.

"Are you okay, Twilight Sparkle?" asked the ghost as she landed next to the lich. When Twilight nodded, Derpy picked something from a bag she was carrying. It was a letter addressed to her. Twilight's horn flared softly, and the letter turned tangible as soon as it left Derpy's hooves under telekinesis.

"Thanks, Derpy." Twilight said, and the postmare saluted and drifted away through the nearest wall, this time time succesfully. She quickly scanned the letter. It was a request from Cheerilee. With Scootaloo's recent transformation, she thought it would be a good time to cover related ancient history. And since Twilight was a High Priest of Nightmare Moon, and in fact knew Her Majesty personally...

Twilight thought about it. It was true that schools tended to cover subjects with less practical applications in a somewhat shallow manner. There was plenty of time to learn ancient Equestrian history - all eternity, in fact - but of course most ponies never bothered. And Twilight had the duty to her Mistress to ensure ponies knew just how much she had done for them.

Decision made, Twilight headed towards the school.

*****

"It all began when the Beast of Chaos ruled Equestria. Nightmare Moon rose against him, aided by her lesser sister Celestia, and brought low the monster. But in the last battle, as he knew he had lost, the old and wise Beast saw the treachery in the heart of the Celestia, and the glory of Nightmare Moon, and before he was sealed away gave her the Manuals."

Twilight was in her element, lecturing a roomful of captive audience. But perhaps those wistful glances some warm ones gave to the empty desks of Scootaloo and her friends meant that she should change tactics? The Book of the Night might be holy, but it was also somewhat... Twilight would not agree with anyone who committed the sacrilege of calling it "pretentious", of course, but maybe a less formal approach would be better for such young foals?

***

Nightmare Moon stood above the petrified remains of the Beast. The battle had been long and hard, but in the end the Queen of Night was triumphant and Equestria freed from chaos.

"Sister? Did we win?"

Nightmare Moon looked behind her at the source of the timid voice. Her sister Celestia stood there, uncertainty written all over her pose. Generous in victory, Nighmare decided to not question who the "we" she was referring to were, and answered her sister in a gentle voice: "Yes, Celly. It's safe now." She looked at the ruined city and continued: "Why don't you go and help these ponies rebuild their homes while I rest a bit?"

Grateful of the grace her greater sister had shown her, Celestia trotted down the street while Nightmare took flight and flew back towards the castle where they had chased the Beast from. She would rest, and then she would see what the Beast had thought so important to pass on to her even as he was being turned to stone.

*

Nightmare Moon walked through the streets of the capitol. Already they were nearly deserted, despite the night having barely begun to fall. What few ponies remained didn't pay their saviour attention besides getting out of her way.

It wasn't really their fault. Nightmare should had known that Celestia would succumb to the temptation. It was only natural for the lesser sibling to bask in the adoration of ponies while the greater was busy. With every open space holding a statue, every corner a banner, and every street a patrol of the "Royal Guards" of Celestia, how was the average pony supposed to know the truth?

The two would need to talk about this later, but for now, Nightmare looked forward to spending a night with friends who also appreciated it. She passed the petrified remains of the Beast, set on display at the palace garden, and entered her home.

*

Nightmare Moon rushed forward, struck her opponent, and jumped back before the creature had a chance to counter-attack. Her teammate, a cream-colored Earth pony, charged forward and finished the weakened monster with a mighty blow.

"Nice work!" said the green unicorn who sat behind a cardboard shield. "That's the last of them."

"I wonder why the Beast gave you this game?" asked the gray pegasus on her right. "Even for him, it was pretty random."

"Who can tell what such a creature thinks?" answered Nightmare Moon. "But whatever his reasons were, it is an excellent way to hone our tactical skills, at least."

"Yeah, and why worry?" asked the third player, a pink Earth pony. "He's gone and soon enough we'll be too. Life's too short to waste!"

The Queen of Night looked at the book beside her. Its cover was adorned with a creature the likes of which Equestria had never seen: immortal, unneeding of sleep nor food nor even air. A creature which saw the beauty of the night and could live under it forever. A creature which a normal pony might perhaps, with proper magics, be transformed into.

"Maybe..."

*

"And that is what I propose: no death, no old age nor its troubles, no hunger nor thirst, but eternal life under my beautiful night!"

The courtyard erupted in noise as the ponies discussed Nightmare Moons pronouncement. There was only one who didn't seem to share in the general excitement: Celestia, who stood in the shadow of her greater sibling. In fact she looked positively terrified of the prospect. Nightmare didn't blame her, for of course having her entire talent made unnecessary would be a hard blow to any pony, but she would find a new purpose. She had whole night long to do so, and the night would last forever.

And besides, the good of the many outweighted the pride of any one pony, even royalty.

*

She should had seen it coming. The way Celestia had focused on elevating her image amongst their subjects. The way she had reacted to the prospect of losing her day. It was obvious the lesser sister was deeply jealous, but never would Nightmare Moon had thought that she would set her own selfishness before the life of every pony.

The attack had been a surprise. Celestia had come to her, demanded that she stop her plans, then turned their most powerful magical weapons on Nightmare. Had she not spent years honing her tactical skills on the game the Beast had left her it might have worked. As it was, Nightmare had evaded the initial attack with a combination of flight and teleportation, then moved from cover to cover until she could get a clear shot at Celestia.

Now beaten, Celestia covered before Nightmare, desperately looking for a way out. She who would have condemned every pony to die to satisfy her pride was now begging for her own life.

"Sister... please..."

Nightmare pitied her sister, but she had chosen her own fate. Yet the Queen of Night was merciful, and decided on a lesser punishment. Her horn flashed, and a flood of magic struck Celestia and carried her with it to the Sun, where she would be imprisoned and unable to harm anypony again.

***

"And that," said Pinkie Pie, "is how Equestria was made."

Twilight whirled around. Where had the poltergeist come from? What was she doing here, in the classroom?

"Hi Twilight!" the swirling, vaguely pony-shaped mass of telekinetic energy exclaimed. "You weren't home and then Derpy said you got a letter from Cheerilee - hi Cheerilee! - and then I heard you telling the story to the class so I..."

"Pinkie!" Twilight interrupted. "I'm trying to teach here!"

"Oh. But aren't you at the end?"

"Well, yes..."

"Good! Rainbow asked me to throw a party to Scootaloo since she and Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle are coming back soon and since you're all their classmates I'm inviting you all!"

The class erupted in cheers and Twilight facehoofed. "Sorry about this, Cheerilee."

"That's okay", the teacher said. "It was nice of you to come. Especially since we're making our class pilgrimage later this moon. We were just waiting for Scootaloo and her friends to return."

Twilight perked up at the news. "Oh, that's nice. Will you visit the Everfree Castle or the statue of the Beast first?"

Cheerilee thought for a moment. "I think it would be better if we did it in a chronological order, so the Beast."

As she bid goodbye to Cheerilee and headed home, Twilight could had sworn that she heard mad laughter in the distance, and concluded that somehow Derpy must have given her a concussion despite her theoretical immunity to such things. She would have to get to the bottom of that mares secrets. Good thing she had all eternity to do so.

Comments ( 1 )

Oh that derpy not even death can stop her clumsiness:derpyderp1:

Login or register to comment