• Published 20th Oct 2013
  • 13,872 Views, 96 Comments

When They Found Common Ground - Craine



When Rarity's clothing designs go 'out of style', and her lively hood is jeopardized because of it, one mare steps up to the plate and answers her cry for help. Every. Single. Day. This can only mean one thing. --RariJack--

  • ...
16
 96
 13,872

Epilogue

Twilight Sparkle was ashamed of herself.

And she had every reason to be. Because of a few rumors, an overexcited earth pony, and a curiosity that couldn’t be denied, Twilight had played her hoof in destroying a perfect bond. She never thought this day would come, she never thought she’d be responsible, but it happened.

Applejack and Rarity were no longer friends.

It was terrible. Horrible. To see two peas in a pod go head-to-head like that. Twilight couldn’t hear what Rarity and Applejack were saying, but watching Rarity jump back, watching Applejack barge passed her and straight for the door, Twilight simply couldn’t watch anymore, and neither could Pinkie Pie.



They couldn’t watch their friendship crumble like ash. They couldn’t watch Applejack crash through that door screaming how she never wanted to see Rarity again. So Twilight and Pinkie ran. They ran, and ran until their legs buckled beneath them.



And that night, Twilight was sure she’d never seen Pinkie cry before, and was even more sure she never wanted to again.



And now, the morning after, Twilight skulked aimlessly throughout Ponyville, sifting through option after option of self-punishment. Even though Twilight was quite sure she’d never tie her wings down and throw herself off a cliff, go to Sweet Apple Acres during Applebuck Season and disguise herself as a tree, or swear off reading for a week, she still felt dirty.



A rat is what she felt like. A filthy vermin that unjustly escaped punishment.



Of course, the pink pony walking next to her, jabbering on and on about things Twilight was sure didn’t make sense, insisted on sharing the blame.



“To conclude,” Pinkie continued with a deep breath that thinned the air, “if we catch the next train to Hoofington in ten minutes, that’ll leave us plenty of time to find a home, and change our names.”



Twilight groaned. “Pinkie. We’re not going anywhere,” she said.



Pinkie stopped in her tracks and stared at Twilight like she declared ponies had fingers. She bounded forward and jumped in Twilight’s path.



“Twilight! Weren't you listening to me?!” Pinkie shouted. “We can’t stay here! Not after… We just can’t!”



Twilight groaned again. At first, if maybe under slight duress, Twilight had actually thought packing her things and jumping town would spare her the shame of seeing Applejack avoid Carousel Boutique at every turn, or Rarity looking at apples with a scrunched forehead.



Twilight walked passed her frazzled friend. “Pinkie, running away from this won’t change anything. It won’t bring Applejack and Rarity together again,” she said with a gripping pit in her stomach.



Pinkie jumped in her path again. “But it’s all my fault! If I wasn’t so set on playing ‘matchmaker’, they’d be at the Boutique right now working on dresses, and smirking, and pacing, and blushing, and being totally in love, and—oh, there I go again!” Pinkie’s face fell into her hooves.



Another pain in Twilight’s stomach accompanied the first, like two lumps of burning coal. She sat upon the dirt road and placed a hoof on Pinkie’s shoulder.



“Oh, Pinkie. I overreacted too.” That was true. So true that it hurt. “I got so caught up in the hype, I didn’t see how much I was hurting them. If I hadn’t followed Rarity to the spa that day...”



Pinkie lifted her head, and Twilight could feel something inside of her shrivel at those wet blue eyes. “But I dragged you into it! I saw things that weren’t there! I made Applejack change her attitude, bath after work, and stop smiling when she—” Pinkie gasped long and loud.



Twilight raised a concerned brow. “Pinkie? Are you okay?” she said.



Pinkie fell back on her haunches. “Twilight. I made Applejack stop smiling…”



Even Twilight felt that one. With a cringe and a suck of her teeth, Twilight desperately searched for the right thing to say, but found nothing of the sort.



“I made her unhappy. I ruined the one thing that could’ve brought that smile to her everyday. I took Rarity’s knight in shining armor away from her. They hate each other because of—” Pinkie leaned back, looking at the sky like it showed her a truth infinitely above mortal comprehension. “I’m… I’m a monster.”



If memory served, and it did quite well, Twilight knew Pinkie was quite far gone. “I’m sorry Pinkie…” Was all she could muster.



Pinkie shot to her hooves and continued the aimless trek. “That’s it! I’m through! Finished! I’m moving to Hoofington, and there’s nothing anypony can say to change that!” she shouted.



As the crowds thickened, Twilight realized they had entered the market area. Which was perfect. Maybe some delicious cantaloupe would ease the mind. Didn’t hold much hope for Pinkie, but…



“It’ll be hard saying goodbye to the Cakes! But I gotta do it, Twilight! I just gotta!”



The pair continued along isles and isles of food-stands that teemed with every type of fruit and vegetable in the equine diet. She smiled a grateful smile, the grumble in her stomach having dulled the pain in her heart.



“Ponyville doesn’t need a frown-down party-pooper-pants like me darkening its door! Well I’ll fix that! I’ll leave and I’ll never come back!” Pinkie continued.



They reached the fruit stand, and the misty tropical scent filled Twilight’s nostrils. Just as she licked her lips at the thought of that cantaloup, a clump of clashing colors near the apple-stand caught her eye.



“Oh, but I’d still write to you girls, of course! I could tell you all about my new life with friends that I totally DIDN’T drive apart! And you could tell me how Rarity and Applejack would be doing—no, don't do that! I don’t wanna know!”



Twilight broke left to a nearby bench to get a better look, with Pinkie miraculously aware enough to follow. Orange and white. Applejack and Rarity. Together. Smiling. Laughing. Standing very close to each other.



“And when I change my name, it’ll be something more happy! Something unbefitting of a heartless monster! Something like Alouiscious! Wait, that’s not even spelled right… Ooh! Bakers Dozen! No, too obvious… I know! Surprise! That’s perfect!”



Twilight watched the pair at the apple-stand, her eyes narrowing as her wings gave a slight twitch. Rarity levitated a fresh apple from the pile, and gave Applejack a look Twilight hadn’t seen before.



Applejack leaned forward and bit into the apple.



“It’ll be kinda weird signing letters with a different name. Probably more weird for you girls though. Oh, I know! I’d write that it’s actually ‘Pinkie Pie’ and nopony will be confused! But wait, if I did that and signed it ‘Surprise’, wouldn’t that be forging?”



As Applejack chewed, Rarity leaned forward and took a bite of her own. They stared at each other for a time, chewed slowly and deliberately, swallowed... then took a bite together. Twilight’s eyes widened as the apple got smaller and smaller.



“Is forging signatures a crime? Will that make police ponies unhappy?” Pinkie gasped again with hooves pressed to her temples. “What if ‘Surprise’ is another pony’s name?! What if I impersonate them?! What if that pony goes through same thing I did with that stupid Mirror Pool?!”



By now the apple was completely gone, but the feast continued. With every smack and lick.



“Oh just look at me!” Pinkie threw her forelegs to the air and collapsed on her chest. “I can’t even change my identity without ruining another pony’s life! I’m pathetic! I’m a criminal! A sad ruinous criminal! I should be condemned! I should be locked in a dungeon! Or banished! Or locked in a dungeon at the place I was banished to! I—”



Twilight pressed her hoof against Pinkie’s forehead and lifted it to the scene. Pinkie’s jaw fell to the ground. And the two little ponies watched as a bustling day at the Market turned into a loud cheering fest, complete with whistles and stomping hooves.



With shouts that sounded an awful lot like “Finally!” or “Took ‘em long enough!” or “Twenty bits says they take each other right here,” Applejack and Rarity proceeded to make out in the middle of that crowd without a care in the world. Pinkie put her jaw back where it belonged.



“Hey, Twilight?”



“Yes, Pinkie?”



“Called it.”

**********

Meanwhile, at an alternate world...

Because sometimes it's just. That. Simple.

FIN

Author's Note:

*Smiles into the sky with hands on hips*
...
...
...
Hehehe.

Comments ( 66 )

Oh god! that was just awesome!:raritystarry::rainbowkiss:
Really good story:ajsmug:

Why is this not in the featured box?! :raritydespair:

Story deserves more credit then it got right now. It's really good.

This is really good. A near perfect Rarijack origin story. Bravo!

:heart:... Ok that's was an AWESOME story!

God damn confuzzling emotions.

3372519 Why thank you! I tried. :twilightsmile:

3372615 Well, I did try to make it as engaging as possible. And you wanted to give Rarity a hug? What about the pony freaking out about changing her name for no good reason. She needs love too! :pinkiesad2:

3372761 Oh man, oh man. Surely we've talked about this before. Though, now that I'm really lookin' into it, it seems most of my followers aren't reading my work anymore. *sighs* Can't blame them, really; most of them liked that I could crank out stories weekly. Now that I can only manage few and far between?

Popularity suffers :pinkiesad2:

3372784 I thought that for the briefest of moments until I accepted defeat. Alas, I struggle on.

3373125 Score!

3373350 Thank you! I was a bit winded from 'there already in relationship' stories, so I cranked out this baby. Gotta say, despite the low ratings, I'm satisfied with it. Happy you are as well :pinkiehappy:

3373406 *Engage the Smug*

3373899 The best kind, my friend. The best kind.

3374425
Funny, I actually prefer romance stories that start in a relationship and then throw trouble at them.

This was awesome!

3374640 Don't get me wrong, I do to. But I swear to the Big Man upstairs, If I see a another fic begin with 'So-and-so was cuddling with her marefriend', someone's gonna get shot.

3374994 Yes! I have succeeded! To be honest, I thought the ending would put people off. Guess I was mostly wrong! :pinkiehappy: Thank you for your comment and fave!

3376080 All hail Applejack, Tamer of the untamable. Breaker of the unbreakable. Commander of the disobedient--F**K! Broke the pattern...

3376201 Well that certainly SOUNDS like RariJack... Thank you!

3376217 Must... FIX!

3377539 Ehhh... As with most of the stories I actually put effort into, this one will fall in the 'underrated' category. But that's okay! With as much work I put into it, and how detached I had to be while editing it, I think it turned out better than most of my fics. I'm grateful you think so highly of my descriptions! Indeed, they are my niche when it comes to writing, I just had to mesh it together with 'storytelling'. Very fancy...

3378670 Wait... What?? Who??? I don't even... ... ... :rainbowhuh: You did NOT just make a Naruto reference.

3379164 Here, here!

3380590 Tsundere is a Japanese character development process that describes a person who is initially cold and even hostile towards another person before gradually showing his or her warm side over time.

So more of a manga/anime reference than anything.

Why the heck doesn't this story have more likes? Seriously, it's almost criminal!

I'll post a longer review tomorrow after some sleep. For now, just know that you have written perhaps the greatest Rarijack ever.

this was totally awesome im surprised that it doesn't have more likes

Okay, so full comment here!

This story is simply one of the best Rarijack stories I have ever had the pleasure to read. The fact dialogue and descriptions of how each character was feeling were spot on. I never once felt like they were being stretched to fit the story.

The pacing was perfect for the story, especially when it came to the second chapter. The back-and-forth between Rarity and Applejack was both heartwrenching and touching. I also liked how Rarity ended up mirroring Pinkie's question, "Would it really be so bad?"

All in all, a stellar piece of writing. This should be showcased as an example of how to write shipping correctly. Thanks for the awesome read!

3381453 Ooooooooh. Now it makes sense. Strange. That wasn't really my intention for Rarity. The bitch just did her own thing with the situation I wrote, even as I wrote her. Or maybe that was just my subconscious viciously clinging to her character being a little bitchy. Eh. It worked out either way.

3382763 I'd have to say my first mistake was aiming for quality... That, or joining Fimfiction in 2013 :ajsleepy:

3383212 Yo... You have no IDEA how tempted I was to have her say that. Seriously... you don't.

3383341 I... Wow! There are a LOT of Rarijack romances on the site, and I didn't think mine would hold such an impact (as the low ratings would suggest). I'm actually overjoyed, and relieved, that you think so highly of it! :twilightblush:

I admit, the dialogue took a little effort to capture--at least for Pinkie and Twi. Capturing Rarity and Applejack was like reading an open book (no pun intended). Descriptions and reactions have always been a strength for me; helps to make things more impacting. But 'meaning' is what I worked for in this, and I'm glad I could deliver.

You can imagine my smile when I mirrored several things from the previous chapters. Just a little thing I need a little more practice in.

But enough driveling! I thank you for your kind and inspiring words. Thank you :twilightsmile:

Bravo, sah! Bra-vo. Simply smashing. You've captured the very essences of the characters, and shown them growing together in such an organic and, dare I say it, life-like way. Well, as life-like as you can get with pastel colored equines and drama-dies (Drama/Comedy) such as this. All in all, GOOD SHOW. 10/10, would read and like again.

Oh my sweet loving Christ, Craine.

So I finally got around to reading this (I favorited and upvoted it as soon as you published it because I just knew >_>) and I am just blown away.

Everything about this story is perfect. It was funny, it was touching, that moment with the god forsaken grandfather clock, auuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

This is the perfect Rarijack story. Unbelievably, undeniably perfect. I need to go put a third favorites box on my page now so I can fit it in. YOU SEE WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO ME!?

Side note though... There's a fair amount of typos. <_< If you ever want an editor, I would be honored beyond words to be said editor.

3387054 Oh, thank GOD! I was a bit worried I'd rushed the romantic payoff. Of course, I was worried about a LOT of things with that scene. So. Many. Things. *shudders* Thank you so much for your praise.

3389142 To be honest, I think the perfect Rarijack story is Home Grown by Absolutely Anonymous. I think that blows this one away, but I'm positively STAGGERED by your words, Lion! I knew it'd be a step above my previous pieces, but DAMN! All this praise has been inspiring, to say the least! Now, if only I didn't lose that stupid bet. God dammit...

Edit: I may take you up on that offer.

I only have one thing to ask. did any pony take that bet of 20bits? :pinkiecrazy: other then that loose end great read and im really happy for them

And HOW did I miss you posting THIS one! I got a lot of reading to do in the morning I guess.

Ok that. was. epic. I mean, just pure awesome! I loved it! Epic win at the end there. Just Epicness. You get a happy pinkie pie as a prize :D :pinkiehappy:

Whee! <sing song voice> I enjoyed this!
3383212 Oh...I HAVE to use that line now. Somehow...

3481239 No! If you flood me with to many Pinkie-smiles, I'll... I'll *face twitches into permanent smile* WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!

But seriously, thanks for the praise. I was actually surprised you read it all in one day :twilightblush:. Didn't think it was that gripping.

3481420 Excellent! That's what I was aiming for. And yes, I did step up my game for this one. I wanted a rival for 'The Turntablist', and I succeeded beautifully. If this makes it EqD (doubtful), it will shove 'The Turntablist' to the ground and laugh. And, God, that Abridged line was GOING to be used at the end of the epilogue, but I decided against it.

Not sure if regret...:trixieshiftleft:

Craine...

3482591 That's the power of the Pinkie, bro.

Quite a good lil RariJack story. Although it did kinda have a ton of them being passive aggressive to each other and I can't really see them doing the apple thing in the middle of town. Seems like Twilight and Pinkie would be more likely to see them doing it on a hill outside town or something.

That was great. Seriously, it wasn't forced or rushed like some other stories. Also the making out in public. Beautiful. I condone rarijack now.

The funniest thing? I was getting more feels about how bad Twilight and Pinkie felt than what AJ and Rarity were going through :pinkiesad2::pinkiehappy:

Even when I knew it went well, it's just heartbreaking to know you've ruined friends' lives.:fluttercry:

Very good story, good reversal, good Rarijack! :twilightsmile::pinkiehappy:

They saved it, right at the end. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh.

static.fjcdn.com/comments/I+_af77fbcbd341fa2d0b27d9fe5fe034e9.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of shipping, but godamn this was beautifully written. I love it!

You cruel person you, taking me for a ride that is three chapters worth and leaving me with an ending scene that SCREAMS to be written. What do you have to say for yourself? :rainbowkiss:
Because what I have to say for myself is that I love it and that you are a bad person and you should feel ashamed for making me love your work. :rainbowkiss:

More please~:pinkiehappy:

3381453 What you're describing is actually a Kuudere. Tsundere is alternating between anger and attraction, not coldness and attraction (that might be what you meant, but using "cold" as a description is a little misleading). But that's just a technicality.

Surprise? Pinkie? Naaaaaaah... :scootangel::pinkiecrazy:

I am flabbergasted by how awesome this story is, especially in the deftness and skill with which you handled the end of the second act and the epilogue. Instant favourite, absolutely no question! :pinkiehappy:

To be honest, I wasn't going to finish this story since I have some others I need to read. I'm so glad I didn't. This was incredible and would so read again and was so worth my time. I can't wait to see what you're going to write next.

3695820 ... I should have put the source. That was a copy and pasted definition of Tsundere.

3483059 Why thank you! I intended their passive aggressiveness to build up the inevitable argument. Awesome plot-device is awesome. Also, my original intention was to have Pinkie and Twilight spot them making our at Carousel Boutique, but dismissed that for three reasons. First, I got tired of writing 'Carousel Boutique'. Second, I wanted to revisit the 'talk of the town' device. Thirdly, Writing PDA is just one of my favorite things :scootangel:

3490139 Heh! I hoped it would. Honestly, that was a line reused, reworked and revamped from many different pieces of the past. I truly NEVER thought I'd be using them ten years later. Glad you liked it!

3498086 whalethen.com/files/tumblr_mfw1pigB9f1romzzto2_500.gif

3556222 That maybe true, but c'mon! Watching from the sidelines, screaming how stupid someone is because we know what's going on and they don't is the BEST!

3574881 They certainly did!

3644232 Why thank you!

3652470 Forgive me! Here, I'll give you something horrible to read to cushion the blow.

3695860 :pinkiegasp: Hmm...

3696036 Ehhhhh... Thanks, but I needn't reiterate how unbelievably tiresome it was to pull off... God dammit.

3697001 If anything I've written can make someone keep reading despite wanting to finish other stories, then I've done my job! SCORE!

Craine...

3699509 Indeed, I do like that kind of thing as well (happens so very often when watching movies or reading stories after all). You just managed to write how very depressed they were that I felt the same momentarily (a good job on it).:twilightsmile:

Gotta say, I've actually been re-reading this multiple times just because it is really well done and one of my top favorites now. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

3699509

Well, for what it's worth, the effort you put into it really shows and it certainly paid off. :twilightsmile:

I'm really bothered by the fact that this wasn't featured on the site, but at least it got a feature on EQD.

This story. Who ever you are...how dare you! How dare you write such a beautiful Rarity and Applejack fanfiction. How dare you give me extreme OTP feels. Such feelings, wow. But HOW DARE YOU

k you earned a follower :raritystarry::ajsmug:

You know, everyone else is going on about the Rarijack, and it's nice, it's true, but I thumbs-up'd this story because you did an amazing job with Pinkie Pie. You have a Pinkie that's not mad-cap random, breaking the fourth wall every three lines and blurring the lines of insanity, but instead one full of witty banter and over-enthusiasm/emotionalism for things that the other ponies haven't noticed (yet). The story's short, true, but it has one of the better Pinkie Pie's I've read.

Your Twilight is really good too. :pinkiesmile:

3699531 My god... I'm just flabbergasted at this having ACTUAL re-read value. I... need to go for a walk.


3700217 WELL! I should certainly hope so. Damn writers block had be chipping away at that wall for two weeks. Two weeks! You have NO idea how happy it makes me knowing someone thinks highly of it. A thousand times, thank you.


3703315 Legend has it that if you read it enough times, the location of a top secret government facility will-- (redacted) 110001001010101010110100100101001001010.


3706900 Wha-PFFT! Dammit! I can't believe I didn't THINK of that! LMAO!


3708130 Strangely enough, I was bothered by it too, even though I've tried to do that SO MANY times in the past, I don't even care anymore. So you can imagine my shock when I got the approval letter from EqD. Though not wholly intended, this story has somehow become an OTP enhancer. Really, all I thought while typing this was, 'How can I f**k s**t up?' Clearly that had the best consequences. Thank you so much for your follow and praise! :pinkiehappy:


3709542 That's the weirdest thing! Not only was Pinkie's change in attitude my intention, but for some unknowable reason, my EqD pre reader didn't like it. At all. Well, mostly it was Pinkie's role in the story that he didn't like, but I had to do something different with her. It just felt... right. But now that I've read your review, I only JUST realized that I didn't have Pinkie do one random thing through this whole story!

F**K!

This is all I can say::yay:

“Twenty bits says they take each other right here,”

Cloud Kicker cameo in a single sentence? Bravo, sir!

The thing I said about Pinkie being off?
It's still true for the first two chapters, but she's golden here :D
Yep, I liked this story. I wasn't sure at the beginning, but I really liked this story.

3719917 Oh yeah? Well I bet you can say: :yay: backwards!
...
...
... Wait.

3722212 I... Huh. I never actually considered that. Wow... Imma have to use that one day.


3724752 Hah! My EqD pre reader said the same thing. But what it really boils down to, is expansion. I haven't really used Pinkie in many of my fics, and if I DID use her, her role had to be important. I suppose that constituted a bit of OOC from her, but I d hope it wasn't too bad.

Happy you enjoyed it! :pinkiehappy:

I CAN'T SEE THE IMAGE :raritycry:

Login or register to comment