• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 2,557 Views, 17 Comments

Watch the Skies - take flight



Rainbow Dash leaves to care for her dying mother. Fluttershy is heartbroken, but never loses faith.

  • ...
0
 17
 2,557

Chapter 1

Watch the Skies
by take flight

###

“I won’t be long,” she had promised, pulling me into a tight hug. My muzzle was pressed into her rainbow mane, flooding my mind with a beautiful, floral scent. We stayed that way for a while, but she pulled away suddenly, giving me a bashful grin. “I won’t be long,” she repeated. “Really ‘Shy. Just a quick visit. I’m sure mom will be feeling better in no time. No need to worry, really. Just a quick flight, a few days on the road.” It sounded like she was reassuring herself, but I dared not bring it up.

To my embarrassment, I started crying that moment. Little, deceitful tears trailed down my face, and I tried to turn away. Shame burned in my cheeks. But she caught my head, turning toward me. When I first met Rainbow Dash, her eyes had always struck me as beautiful. A deep, emotional amethyst. But this time, her eyes were weary and sad.

“Aw, ‘Shy, please don’t.” Her voice broke- only slightly, crackling as she stumbled over the last few words. Another hug. The tears refused to stop. My heart screamed words and feelings my mind couldn’t process fast enough. Rain began to fall, the clouds drooping thick and heavy with moisture. Beside her on the ground lay a few saddlebags, meant to be strapped to her back as she flew. There were enough provisions for a week, basic equipment, a new book. I made sure of this, double and triple checking everything before she was set to leave.

I was aware of her hoof wrapped around my neck, comforting me with gentle pats. But none of us spoke. We simply held each other as the rain pattered from the sky. Beyond us lay Ponyville, slowly darkening as Celestia’s sun lowered beyond the horizon. Streetlamps began to illuminate the walkways that meandered through the small town.

I don’t remember how long we held each together, but night had long began when she let go. To my surprise, her face was matted with moisture, but with a forced half-smile she said it was just the rain. I replied with a gentle nod. I knew what I wanted to say, but my mouth refused to form the words.

“Please, at least wait until tomorrow. Not in this weather...” My voice sounded pained and weak. To Dash, it couldn’t have been above a whisper. The winds had began to pick up around us, rattling tree branches and whipping my long hair.

But I knew what her answer was before she even spoke. Duty called. A loyalty to her mother and the rest of her family that couldn’t be shaken. Time was of the essence, she reminded me. In an unexpected gesture, she stepped forward, nuzzling me tenderly across my neck and face. I was thankful for the cover of darkness, as I was sure my cheeks were a vibrant shade of red. My words caught in my word. Say something! I begged myself.

She stepped away, slinging her belongings over her shoulder. Her striking eyes were now downcast. Ever so slightly she opened her mouth, but her body turned away from me. “Good bye, ‘Shy. I’ll see you soon. Watch the skies for me.” With a beat of her wings, she took flight, becoming part of the stormy and dark sky. I watched as the cyan blur faded into darkness. I watched long after the color had disappeared, her words repeating endlessly in my mind.

Watch the skies for me.

Watch the skies.

###

Dash liked saying she was something else. Not pegasus, not pony, but a separate being entirely. We all laughed it off as part of her bravado and swagger, but somewhere within my mind, I knew her exaggerations to be true. Quick to laugh, easy to anger, swayed by the slightest, wildest impulse- she could be called energetic, crazy, and, at times, insane. Of course, they are apt descriptions, conclusions one with reach after spending any length of time with Dash. I used to lay awake at night hoping with every fiber of my being that Dash would crash through my window and whisk me off on an adventure. Mystery, adventure, and fun seemed to follow her in a glittering aura.

Early one moment, that fantasy came true. Unlike the scene I toyed with in my mind hundreds of times, reality involved more shock and embarrassment on my part. But she had changed something in me, whether she recognized it or not. The way her hooves wrapped around my tense body, gently guiding me. How we had flown together, bracing ourselves against the cool dawn air. I didn’t care where we were going, as long as we were together. The flight ended much too soon.

That night I settled in front of my fireplace, nursing a mug of warm cider and idly flipping through a book. I heard a knock on my door. It was Dash, wearing a sheepish expression and holding a crumpled flower.

“I, uh, I’m sorry for bursting in on you this morning.” Oh, how beautiful her eyes were in the moonlight- dark, expressive, emotional.

My mind found some words. “No problem. Come in?”

“I, uh, got you this. As a sorry gift. Sorry.” She handed me the flower. Its petals were crinkled and stem half broken. I vaguely remember seeing a similar patch on my walks from my house to the town center.

We settled on the couch. Stuffing was bursting from its broken seems and it only fit one pony, but we managed to squeeze onto the old thing. “It must be freezing outside. Cider?” I offered. I opened another bottle, pouring the amber liquid into a kettle that hung over my fireplace. Soon, it was bubbling merrily, a hot and delicious drink that would quickly lull me to sleep.

“You’re cooking it?” She made a face, scrunching her nose in a way that made my heart flutter. Her body was draped lazily over the couch, a sprawl of cyan limbs, wings, and colorful hues.

“You’ve never tried hot cider, Dash? I think you’re missing out.” I ladled the steaming liquid into mugs, handing one to my skeptical companion. The fire burned and danced merrily, and I nudged in another block of wood.

There was a slow, tentative sip, a long slurp, and finally a yowl of pain. “Thisf isf hot!” She stuck out her inflamed tongue, prodding it with a hoof. “Oof,” she moaned.

“Oh dear, I-I’ll be right back with something to care for the pain. Try not to touch it, please.” I scurried away to where I kept my first aid supplies. I kept my face low, for it was blushing far too intensely. Her tongue, pink and small and perfectly shaped, danced around in my mind, teasing me.

I hurried back, carrying between my teeth a small vial. “Now if you could please open...” my mouth fumbled awkwardly around the sentence.

Dash, the pain of the burn apparently forgotten, burst into a wide and cheeky grin. “Ahhh,” she panted, opening her mouth and jutting her tongue out.

I couldn’t explain the emotions that threatened to overtake me. I consider myself a fairly reserved- controlled, calm, quiet. But there was nothing in the world I wanted more to do than press my muzzle to hers and kiss her. I didn’t.

Eventually, we fell asleep in front of the fire, worn out by the hectic day and drowsy from the cider. I had an old quilt, and Dash pulled it over both of us, snuggling in closely and yawning adorably. Feeling her warm body pressed against mine, I slept better than I had in months.

Three words that became hard to say.

I. And love. And you.

###

“Fluttershy, it’s me, Twi! Don’t make me blast off your door!” came the voice from outside.

I sighed. I had been avoiding my friends, consumed by what could be described as a depression. But it stung more than that. It was not a single feeling, but rather the absence of emotion all together. There was coldness, emptiness, a deep melancholy that blanketed my body like snow in the winter. I said I was sick, because in truth, I was. I felt weak and sad, living the life of the meek, a coward.

We chatted about friendly things- Applejack’s harvest, Rarity’s new dress. Twilght was easy to talk to, a unicorn wise beyond her years. This came with its downfalls, as she was unusually perceptive and observant. I hung in the recesses of the conversation, hoping she would attribute my silence to the weakness that came with illness.

She sighed, stirring her tea idly. Finally she spoke, her voice gentle but concerned. “Is there something wrong? Anything you wish to discuss? You know I’m always here for you.”

A hundred things came to mind, each involving a rainbow-maned pegasus that was absent from my life. Instead I looked downward, shaking my head. “J-just feeling a bit under the weather, Twi.”

“Please, I know something is wrong. I want to help,” she offered kindly, giving me a brave and comforting smile. I looked through her, staring at a spot on the walls.

After a long pause, Twilight added, “Perhaps try flying? The weather is rather nice today, and exercise has been proven to boost your mood and health.” I toyed with the idea. I liked it- sitting in my cottage and moping was a pointless way to spend time. When Rainbow Dash came back, we’d have more in common if I could nail down a few maneuvers. They looked easy enough.

For the first time since Dash left, I smiled. “Great idea, Twi. I’ll head out now.”

What good is it to sing helplessness blues?

###

Stretching my wings felt painful and awkward. I winced as the canary-yellow appendages unfurled from my back. It felt strange, like my wings were foreign objects that were taped to my back. I took a deep breath and clenched my muscles, preparing myself to fall out of the air.

But I didn’t. I took it slow to begin with, giving my wings time to warm up. I flapped my wings lazily, gliding only a few inches off the forest carpet. How strange it felt. I had always lived a life of voluntary grounding, never finding much use for the gift I was bestowed.

Sun streams through the forest canopy, enveloping everything in a shining, lively glow. I flapped harder now, focusing on accelerating. My body streamlined into a natural flying position. My heart beat with ferocity, every cell in my body screaming in delight.

I started to weave through the branches, dodging the jutting appendages like I was a filly playing schoolhouse games. Faster, faster, I willed myself. This is what love feels like- the freedom, the escape, the pure joy of living, breathing, and flying.

Oh, the things to share to Dash when she came home. I planned to tell her how flying felt, what went racing through my mind when I tumbled and did weightless aerobatics. I pictured flying through the forest, the sun beating on our backs, treetops grazing our stomachs, nothing in the air but the sound of beating wings and whispered secrets.

###

A few days later, Derpy the mailmare visited. She must have been surprised when she saw me. Her voice was sweet and concerned as she inquired about my health. I must have looked like a mess. My mane was haggard and unkempt, pink tufts of hair jutting out in random spots. I haven’t been eating well.

Receiving mail felt strange. When all of your friends live in the same small town, there is little need to communicate by post. I couldn’t remember the last time I sent, or received, any sort of written message. I eyed the simple envelope apprehensively, tearing away the paper with my teeth.

It was a letter from Dash. The paper was torn and ragged, and her mouth-writing was near unreadable. I thought it was raining when she wrote it, because the paper was crinkled and smudged in places where droplets of water must have fell.

Fluttershy,

I hope you didn’t forget about me! The flight to Cloudston took longer than I expected, but nothing is too difficult for the great and amazing Dash. I was actually sidetracked for a few days from a bad storm, and holed up in this tiny cave. Thanks for packing me the next Daring Do book- I think I would have gone insane if I didn’t have it.

My mom is actually worse off than I thought, but I’m sure she’ll recover soon. Life and spirit is in the Dash family, you know. Don’t ever forget that. There isn’t much to do here besides fly around and take naps.

I miss you a lot Fluttershy. I don’t know when I’ll return, but I can tell you one thing- watch the skies.

Dash

After I finished, I realized, with a start, that it had not been droplets of rain. Dash had been crying.

I sat back in my chair, emotionally drained. There was so much I wanted to write. I wanted to comfort her, tell her we all missed her, that everything would be okay in the end. I wanted to start with ‘Dear Dash’ and end with ‘Love, Fluttershy.’

I wanted to say many things. But when I looked at the blank page sitting in front of me, no words came.

###

Little dewy droplets clung to the blades of grass. As I walked through the field, my hooves became cold and wet. Overhead, the sun’s rays attempted to poke their way through a deep, rolling cover of fog.

I don’t know why I came. Dash’s instructions were obviously figurative- a clean and imaginative way of reassuring me. But the words played over and over in my mind like a mantra. Watch the skies. Watch the skies.

Dash had written to each of us here in Ponyville, and we all sent our replies as soon as possible. I didn’t get much of a chance to see my friends this week. Twilight was preparing for a major experiment. Rarity had a new fashion line. Winter was fast approaching, which spelled long, tiring workdays for Applejack and her family.

To me, winter was a time of relaxation. Many animals slumbered gently beneath the snow and cold, and the few that didn’t flew toward Trottingham and warmer climates. The forest was silent and still, like I was living in a painting.

I settled myself on the crest of a large hill, the same spot where Dash had left weeks ago. From my vantage point, Ponyville was partially obscured by a dense fog- only the occasional rooftop or chimney was visible. It was cold, but not painfully so. I pulled my wings closer to my body, shivering a little.

If anything, I had picked a terrible day to watch the skies. Dark clouds blanketed the sky in lonely hues of grey, white, and black. No colors found on any rainbows. I curled my tail into my body, playing with the notion of going home and trying again on less monochromatic days.

But something rooted me to the spot. Although cold, I felt a deep, calming warmness in my body, as if my bones themselves were heating me. It was peaceful. It was like living in the middle of a cloud, surrounded on all sides. I felt safe.

Out of the corner of my vision, I saw a streak of color. I craned my neck- was it Rainbow? Had she returned? My heart leaped at the prospect, and several more minutes were spent inspecting the grey skies. Nothing.

I settled back down. Maybe next time, I told myself. Maybe next time.

###

Twilight came to talk to me again. This time, her face wore an expression of concern, betraying a gravity. Her eyes were worried.

“Did you get a reply from Dash?”

I shook my head.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure she must be busy there in Cloudton. She hasn’t visited her family in such a long time. It’s hard to blame her for being too busy to write.”

In my head, I knew Twilight’s words to be true. They usually were, a fact that inspired both admiration and loathing. She was so confident, self-assured in her ideas and beliefs. How would she think about me, an abomination, spending my days alternately moping and lusting for my friend. It was pitiful.

We made some small talk, simply discussion whatever matters came into our heads. She inquired about my health, and I gently deflected her questioning with vague responses and assurances that I feeling much better.

Although the conversation left me drained, I appreciated her efforts, even if I didn’t at the time. It’s easy to forget how to hold a conversation or what it feels like to be in the company of other ponies. As temperatures drop and snow falls, the path from my cottage to Ponvyille seems to grow in length. My visits to the town slowed.

###

Winter had begun in earnest, but I still woke up every morning to watch the skies. I started taking a blanket and some food with me, curling up in a warm nest as Celestia’s sun began its course above the sky. Sometimes I couldn’t see the sun rise, but I felt its presence. It warmed me.

There were more false alarms. They were tricks of the light, I told myself. Stop getting so emotional over them. But every time I saw the flashes of rainbow light, my heart sunk further into my chest.

###

She wrote again.

Fluttershy,

I hope your winter has been as good as mine! My mom has fully recovered and she moved out of the hospital today. I actually showed her one of the tricks you taught me and made everyone some hot cider. They all loved it.

The first week was lonely and boring, but Cloudton is actually filled with some pretty cool ponies. It’s actually one of the Wonderbolt training camps- can you believe that? I’ve been spending some time with Spitfire, one of the Wonderbolt captains. She’s really funny and awesome, and when I come back I hope she’ll visit Ponyville with me.
Don’t think I’ve stopped trying to return. While I’m happy here, I feel this twinge in my heart every time I thiknk of you, Pinkie, Applejack, Twi, or Rarity. There has been some blizzards here, although Spit told me they’ll clear up within the week.

I’m thinking of you. Remember, watch the skies. This Dash will be back before you know it.

Dash



Realization struck me hard. Dash had moved on. The name Spitfire brought up vague memories of the fiery, energetic Wonderbolt. She was strong, outgoing, energetic. Dash’s perfect fit. Why did I think I had a chance.

It took me two days to formulate a reply. It was short and clipped. I threw out the first draft when the tears made my writing unreadable. I threw out the second draft because I couldn’t write anymore.

The cottage was so quiet, every animal sleeping in their nests with their families and friends. From the window, I could see the fat, wet flakes of snow that fell from the sky, sitting heavily on tree branches. My friends haven’t visited in a while- each preoccupied by their own winter tasks.

When Derpy came to pick up my letter, she told me it would be her last deliveryfor a while. The weather Pegasi were warning of a massive winter storm to kick off the cold season. I nodded mutely and looked away.

###

Icy winds bit and tore at my skin. The cold drove into my body like knives, chilling my core. The sun painfully struggled to rise above the horizon, a few stray rays catching my eyes. I struggled through the storm, eyes clenched shut and wings firmly snapped at my sides. Step by step, I made my way to the hill.

This vantage point now offered no views. Ponyville was obscured by the sheets of flying snow. My hoofsteps had long been filled and covered. Everything was white.

I huddled against the base of a barren tree. Its leaves had long fallen, leaving a black silhouette. I was numb from tail to hoof. Every muscle screamed in pain and exhaustion. Painfully and slowly, I fell to the ground shivering.

My eyes were fixed on a point in the horizon. Maybe today. Even as my body froze, her words still rang in my head and in my heart.

Watch the skies for my return.

Watch the skies.

Comments ( 17 )

If it's a oneshot, you should mark it as 'Complete.'

No Fluttershy! Nooooooo!

I has a sad now D:

265119
Please write a sequel to this. It was amazing, so please continue with it.
Please.

:fluttercry: Depression has set in. Must... Watch... Hearts and Hooves... to... Laugh... Again...

Ohhh wow.

Mmmm I've faith rainbow will come back... le sigh.

Wow, that was a good read. Very good job!

That's the end? Fluttershy possibly dies because she was so eager for Dash's return she sat out in freezing cold?

I very much liked the story - it was well written (minus a few of typos, though the only one I remember is 'think' in Dash's last letter), unique and interesting - but that ending just seems completely abrupt and odd to me. Unless I'm missing something, which wouldn't surprise me.

267551

Since the story is in first-person past tense, it's implied that Fluttershy wrote it after the events. I agree it might not have been clear though.

thanks for commenting! :twilightsmile:

267584
Not clear to me, as it seems that Fluttershy died at the end there.

You must write another story. That is a great ending, but I really want to know what happens. Please.

Oh please oh please write a sequel! I need it!!!!:fluttercry::fluttercry:

277648 I am, with take flight's permission, writing a sequel. Will upload as soon as I get an editor to go over it with a fine-tooth comb.

278636 After I get some feedback, I am uploading a sequel to this. Just need an editor...

Avett Brothers reference? Nicely played.

As far as the story, I thought it was a nice little one-shot. First-person worked well for this story. But I thought the ending was an abrupt change in the way the story was told. Everything felt far more rushed and unclear than before. Other than, that, though, you have yourself a solid one-shot here.

Good, but with no apparent closure. A second chapter would/might be needed to properly end this wonderful little fic. Very good, ending aside.
~Wywint

Login or register to comment