• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,845 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,845

PreviousChapters Next
A Tad Bit Zealous

When Rainbow’s eyes stopped rolling back, she saw nothing but glittering shards. A stab of sunlight glistened between her and the multiple projectiles, and she instinctively curled her body into a ball. Only by doing so did she realize just how terribly her body ached. Several cuts and bruises had formed along her upper body and shoulders. She sucked her breath in, weathering the throbbing pain as she attempted to ascertain where gravity was taking her.

A metal platform answered her all too swiftly. With a thud, she collapsed hard and rolled towards the edge of an aluminum ledge. Glass settled in a splash around her, ultimately rattling over the edge and falling forever into a hazy brown vista below. She gasped, picking herself just inches away from plummeting into the lower troposphere beneath Gray Smoke.

She heard a startled cry from within the bowels of the floating city. With a gasp, she spun to face the window frame to the shattered glass. Three figures could be seen with the zebra in their grasp, throttling upwards towards the higher platforms in columns of steam.

Snarling, Rainbow spat blood loose, flexed her wings, and took off. She was barely a millisecond in her ascent when two bodies flew into her side.

“Ooof!” She found herself entangled in the two zealots, their leather-clad limbs seeking to overpower her.

“Stand down, harbinger!”

“Listen to the wisdom of Eljunbyro, harbinger!”

“Friggin’ let go of me, ya pigskinned salamanders!” her voice cracked as she wrestled with them in midair. No matter how many times she flapped her wings, their thrusts of steam compensated for the wind resistance and overpowered her. She found herself being torn further and further away from Pilate’s trajectory.

“You must complete the journey!” one of the two figures chanted.

“Grrrrrghhh…” Rainbow Dash seethed through her teeth. “You’ve got a trip of your own to make, pal!” Using her teeth, she clamped onto a hydraulic coil built into one of the ponies’ suits and pulled viciously. Mist spurted out in every direction as the equine’s suit lost its thrust. As the stallion scrambled to fix it, Rainbow Dash headbutted him, then gave him a savage buck with both rear legs.

“Yaaaaugh!” He fell back, twirled, and slammed so hard into the side of a floating platform that his armored body formed a loose crater. His dizzied body was cratered as two more ponies flew up to intercept the fight.

Rainbow Dash hooked her right wing out and twirled, spinning the weight of the other pony clinging to her. With a prolonged yell, she twirled three times and flung the leathery body into the two ascending figures. Both collided with the rattling of limbs. They fell for several hundred feet before regaining their instruments and performing a sharp ascent once more.

By that time, Rainbow Dash was already rocketing skyward, her eyes locked on Pilate and the three ponies who were holding him. They must have sensed her frenzied pursuit, for they bobbed and weaved around the lateral support struts and giant rotating fans that lined the edges of the massive platforms. Rainbow Dash’s agility came to good use; she was twirling over and around moving structures, blazing through smoldering smoke stacks and closing in on her targets at five meters per second.

“I’m not gonna ask you a third time!” Rainbow Dash yelled into the winds howling around Gray Smoke’s exterior. She raised two heavy forelimbs. “Give me back my--”

Khao’s body slammed into her like a missile.

Rainbow Dash veered off course, twirled like a loose comet, and grinded to a stop against a sloped ledge of metal plates. “--horseapples!” She rubbed her aching limbs, sitting up as Khao came to a steam powered hover in front of her.

Khao’s amber eyes calmly peered out from beneath her billowing hood. “We’ve had eons to prepare for this moment, Harbinger.” Four ponies touched down on the ledge between her and Rainbow Dash. They retracted their leather gliders and aimed dart guns. “Tell me, are you prepared to make the necessary sacrifice yourself?”

Rainbow hissed. “Go choke on a whale!”

“Hmmph…” Khao’s jaw tightened. “Then you do not deserve the Relic.” She backflipped, extended her glider wings, and rocketed skyward on a column of steam.

Rainbow Dash hissed. She jumped up on four hooves. Four darts landed within centimeters of where her limbs were. She froze in place, glaring at the quartet.

“Please, Austraeoh,” one of the thugs said. “Don’t make us do this. The Harbinger must make this decision on her own.”

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to say something. She heard a sharp whistling sound. Before she could so much as blink--

Smash! Roarke landed through the body of one pony. His limbs twitched with the sickening crackle of bones.

The other three spun, gasped, and fired their darts at the Searonese mare. With an innocuous splash of sparks, the needles merely bounced off the bounty hunter’s metal armor.

Roarke pivoted her helmet at them. “Cute.” With a clattering sound, six panels opened in her armor, each launching a missile straight back at them.

The thugs shrieked, bailing from the ledge for dear life. The metal plates exploded beneath them, tossing their singed bodies into the wild blue yonder.

Rainbow Dash coughed from the smoke and haze as she stood up on wobbly limbs. Roarke pulled her out of the path of the fumes with a metal hoof. “Seriously…” Roarke droned through the red flicker of her helmet. “When will you stop being so damn popular?”

“The Noble Jury…!” Rainbow hissed. “It’s under attack!”

Roarke locked gaze with Rainbow.

“They’re after the Relic!” Rainbow wheezed, rubbing her aching shoulder. “They think I’m sort of prophesied goddess pony thingy!”

“Then they truly are idiots.” Roarke’s thruster engines burned. “We have to head back--”

“No! Not yet!” Rainbow Dash was already taking off. “Pilate! He needs us!”

Roarke glanced up, eying the squadron of steam-powered equines taking off with the zebra. With a sigh, she rocketed up and joined Rainbow in vengeful formation. “Breeder lover…”


A dock worker trotted along the edge of the hangar platform, carrying a box of tools on his flank. He froze in place, his face scrunching up. Turning, he cast a look at the Noble Jury, gasping at all the cloaked bodies. “Whoah! What the hay?!” He dropped his tools and ran to the edge of the platform, frowning. “What is going on here--” A dart flew up and into his neck. “--grrkk!” His eyes rolled back, and he fell to the floor, twitching.

Meanwhile, Kera watched with wide, emerald eyes. A single figure held her in place, a forelimb pressed over her mouth, muffling the foal’s frantic attempts to shout as the other thugs rolled Floydien’s and Simon’s bodies into the cockpit. No less than fifteen cloaked ponies galloped across the top deck of the Noble Jury. With careful precision, the zealots fashioned together a metal cage in the center, each equine contributing with his or her personal pieces to the bizarre, engineering puzzle.

Once the object was successfully constructed, four of them gathered about, using metal-reinforced limbs to carry it down the stairwell along the stern of the ship.

They crawled down the steps until they were at the bottommost level.

“Careful with that!” one exclaimed. “Khao wants us to be swift, but we cannot damage the Relic!”

“Everypony remain calm,” another said as he fumbled with the door. “The Harbinger, at last, is here. This a moment of… nnngh… glory…”

“What is it?” another asked, craning his neck to look over the cage.

“The door to their engineering compartment,” he stammered. “It’s locked from the inside.” He fumbled some more with the controls. “It’s almost as if--”

The door suddenly swished open, and a triple-barrel rifle poked through. Thunder rolled, and the foremost pony flew back along with half of his brain matter.

The other three gasped, dropping the cage.

Josho stood, frowning, with the smoking weapon levitating in his grasp. “I cleaned my gun.”

The trio unsheathed their daggers at once. “For the Harbinger!” they yelled.

The obese stallion spat back. “For the Hell of it!” He aimed the gun straight into the charging fray. “Come onnnn!”

And the Engineering compartment erupted in sparks and manafire.

PreviousChapters Next