• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,845 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,845

PreviousChapters Next
The Balance of Power

The light of day came in a great burst. Rainbow Dash shoved Nightshade into it. The tips of both ponies’ ears burned with rushing blood as she rocketed the pair onto the edge of a cave indented into the lower edge of the floating mountain that was the Sacred Hold. Two miniature manacraft hovered, docked along a metal platform. Far beyond, sharp ridges loomed at an angle. The entire body of the Hold was starting to drop, to plummet. Chunks of rock fell constantly from its upper surfaces, blotting out rays of the dying day as the mountain ran its doomed course slowly towards the earth.

Rainbow flew to the end of the platform, and she came to a stop several feet off the precipice. She held her hoof out until Nigthshade dangled in the crook of the pegasus’ drift.

“You disgusting piece of crap!” Rainbow Dash snarled. “I’ve tolerated keeping your miserable self around all this time only because I had no choice. But now--”

“Now what--Snkkkt?!” Nightshade hissed through gritted teeth as she struggled with Rainbow’s grip. Her legs dangled anxiously in the high winds. “It’s easy to hold malice deep in your heart, but to suddenly be able to make it manifestttt--hrkkkt…” Nightshade sputtered and wheezed. “P-power is envied by far too many ponies, and all of th-them fools!”

“Stop preaching to me, lady…” Rainbow snarled. “You’ve done nothing but murder ponies--”

“And you haven’t?!” Nightshade’s eyes rolled back as she struggled to hiss. “All those soldiers. All those poor, noble creatures--defenders of the Queen and penitent victims of Lasairfion alike. Just because you’ve dr-dropped equines like flies doesn’t make them any less worthwhile in the eyes of the Sp-Spark!” Nightshade grabbed onto Rainbow’s limbs for support, wheezed, and glared at her as she slurred, “You think I’m blind to what enrages you. I’m n-not! For you too must look into the dark pools of your heart and reach for slippery excuses to put your mind at ease each night: the pursuit of harmony, the cost of loyalty to your friends?! Friends are merely fragments thrown loose from the overall picture, my dear. Do you think you’re actually any b-better than I am?! Listen to me, Rainbow Dash. I’ve languished in the dungeons of evil. I’ve stared into the face of Prime Enforcer Shell himself, and I know how little a soul carries weight in the vacuum of that stallion’s being. There’s no denying that he kills ponies without mercy and he burns forests without qualms, but he only… chases… monsters, Rainbow D-Dash!” She spat, “He hunts you and only you! I didn’t have the capacity to believe it at first, but now I see that you are the most dangerous wildcard, the most destructive catalyst this continent has ever seen! And somehow your stasis as a fargone fossil of harmony excuses you for every wound you have inflicted upon this landscape?!”

“You did not have to kill that stallion back there…” Rainbow seethed, pointing at her glowing pendant with her other hoof. “He could have been saved.” Her ruby eyes flared. “I could have saved him!

And I could have saved you!” Nightshade howled back, her neck turning raw and red as she nearly slipped in Rainbow’s grip. “You and Doctor Bellesmith and the ch-child! And I still can!” Her eyes darted to the pendant. “You are whole again! The book is in our possession! Let us take it to the machine fissure, return it to its rightful place before Lasairfion can get there first! Th-then we can finally be done with the entire holocaust!”

“You miserable little turd…” Rainbow sneered. “You think I’m still gonna keep you along for the ride?!”

“If you want to know where the flame goes, yes, because only I can take you there,” Nightshade whispered, her cheeks and brow turning blue. “But, then again, you knew that all along, as soon as it occurred to you what Lasairfion wanted, despite her insanity.”

Rainbow Dash said nothing. She hovered limply in place, sweat running down her leg till it condensed in icy pools around Nightshade’s neck.

Behind her, loud hoofsteps scuffed to a stop. Basso stood, panting, with Kera dismounting off the stallion’s back.

“Rainbow Dash!” Kera stammered, her eyes widening at the sight of Nightshade. “What… wh-what are you doing?”

“The true art of power is not gaining it…” Nightshade stammered, at the end of her breath. “...but knowing what to do with it. I… snkkkt… suspect you’re not a pony who’s used to being the fulcrum of a machine far bigger than you can see.” Her eyes grew thin, the lids heavy. “Sacrifice… is hardly as noble as poetry would make it seem. Hckkt… For… in the end, the greatest heroes simply can’t afford to be g-good, Rainbow Dash.” She limply swiveled her head from left to right. “Not… if they want to g-get true business done.”

Rainbow Dash frowned at that, but a part of her blue coat paled over in the wind. She clenched her eyes shut as her upper body shook.

Basso bit his lip.

Kera’s mouth quivered. “Rainbow…?”

“Grggggg--Mmmmf!” Rainbow tossed Nightshade.

Kera gasped--

“Ooof!” Nightshade landed roughly on the platform. She hunched over and grasped her neck, coughing and wheezing for breath. Basso rushed over to examine her, but stopped as soon as Rainbow’s shadow hovered over him.

“The only reason you’re not rock paste on the side of a mountain is because I need you,” Rainbow Dash said. A second or two passed, and her face winced as she reluctantly said, “And also because you’re right. I’m not a pony who’s used to having the power to change the fate of a continent.” She then hovered lower, tilting her head down to glare at Nightshade face-to-face. “And if that makes me a horrible hero in your dirty eyes, then so be it. But that doesn’t change the fact that I’m going to save you.”

Nightshade twitched at that. She looked up with confused, glossy eyes.

“I’m going to save you… save the Noble Jury… and save every Celestia-forsaken pony on this miserable continent.” She took a deep breath. “And if your narrow mind finds that too friggin’ hard to believe, then that’s a pitiful way to live. After all, I once found myself in a place where I couldn’t even save myself, and even still I made it.” She flapped her wings and hovered higher. “Miracles are miracles; I don’t care how much they smell of crap. I think you’ve been too busy for too long trying to make awesome things happen that you’ve forgotten what it means like to be them. So you wanna help out? Watch. Learn. And live.”

Rainbow shot a glance at the stallion.

“Basso. Take Kera, the book, and this slimy little thing on one of the zeppelins. Meet up with Zetta’s team and get as far as you friggin’ can from this falling piece of garbage.”

“Okay…” Basso nodded.

“And whatever you do!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she flew her way back into the dark cavern from which she came. “Do not let that lady drive! Heck! Don’t even let her speak! She doesn’t need a tongue to help guide us to the flame pedestal inside the machine world!”

Nightshade instinctually covered her muzzle upon hearing that.

Kera flashed a look from her to Rainbow Dash. “What about you?! Where are you going?!”

“To find and save a bounty hunter who’s probably gonna refuse my help!” And the pegasus was gone in a prismatic blur.

Basso gulped. He glanced at Kera’s capped horn, then at Nightshade’s collapsed figure. “You know… you could have lifted that thing off your head at any time just then.”

“I know.” Kera nodded, smiling faintly.

PreviousChapters Next