• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,844 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,844

PreviousChapters Next
Sleep and Count Grasshoppers

“Mmmmm…” Kera smiled, curling tighter against Belle’s backside as the mare carried her down the array of crew quarters on the Noble Jury’s second level. “And then they told me about high ball.”

“Oh?” Belle trotted forward as Pilate opened the door to Kera’s quarters. “What’s high ball?”

“It’s a game…” Kera paused to yawn. “... a game that the foals around here play.” She stretched, hanging her body off Belle’s flanks like a living towel. “They toss up a ball really high with unicorn telekinesis, and they all gotta run to a post and back to the place where they tossed it. Whoever’s closest to the center when the ball falls wins a point.”

“Hmmm… How interesting.” Belle shuffled into the cramped compartment and spread forth the blanket of a hanging cot. “Did you play with them?”

“It was… too dark for high ball…” Kera stirred slightly as Belle hoisted her off her back and onto the bed. “Mmmm… but… but they said I could play with them tomorrow.” Her eyes fluttered thinly open. “Are… are we going to be here tomorrow?”

Belle smiled gently in the lantern light of the room. “I know for a fact we will be, Kera. I’m guessing the kids’ parents wanted them to go to bed for the night. You should too.”

“Mmmm…” Kera grumbled, though her eyes fluttered shut. “Not… tired…”

Belle chuckled lightly as she drew the blanket over the filly’s tattooed figure. “Well, when you decide that you are, will you let me know?”

“Sure… sure…” Kera yawned again. She muttered. “...Belle?”

“Yes, Kera?”

“The ponies here aren’t so lame after all…” The filly turned over, wrapping herself tighter in the blanket. Another yawn, and then a squeaking breath. “They’re… actually k-kind of cool… in their own… quiet way…”

Belle nodded. “I… I-I know, Kera.”

Silence.

Belle raised an eyebrow.

Kera’s body was slowly rising and falling. Her breaths came out in quiet, tranquil wheezes.

Belle sighed. With a weak smile, she leaned in and nuzzled the filly’s green hair in her sleep. She lingered there for a few seconds, then drew back. Without wasting a breath, she turned the lantern off and backtrotted out of the room. She looked gently at Pilate.

Once she was still, the zebra remarked, “Fascinating how swiftly she lost her nervousness.”

“I’m… sure it’s still there, Pilate,” Belle murmured. “It’s just… briefly forgotten.”

“No doubt the young friends she made helped her relax a bit.”

“Or riled her up.” Belle smirked for a brief moment. “You know Kera, Pilate. She never backs out from a challenge. I’m actually a little bit concerned for the ponies she wants to be playing games with.”

“Maybe there’s nothing to be fearful about,” Pilate said with a shrug. “We’ve never… r-really seen her with other foals before.”

“I’m sure she’ll be okay tomorrow,” Belle said in a dull tone.

Pilate leaned in, nuzzling her. “Are you okay?” he asked quietly.

She bit her lip. Gulping, she nodded and nuzzled him close, resting a hoof over her shoulder.

“Tomorrow, I suggest we get up early and have a long talk with Golden Happenstance,” Pilate said. “I feel like I can gauge the feelings of a stallion of his calibre. I should be able to get plenty of information out of him.”

“You think he’s hiding something, Pilate?”

“No, beloved. Nothing of the sort.”

“Can… c-can you forgive me for being anxious?”

“Nothing to be sorry about. We just need all the facts, is all.”

“And so does Kera.”

“Right…” Pilate nodded. “R-right.”

Silence.

The two turned and shuffled slowly towards the ship’s stern, heading down the thin corridor towards where the deck opened up into the wide, brightly-lit mess hall.

“Did you see where Rainbow Dash went?” Pilate asked.

“I couldn’t help but notice. She was on the roofs most of the night.”

“Did she eat anything?”

“She had some of the rice, I think.”

“I appreciate a pony who sticks to her values.”

“Still, she did seem a bit… distant…”

“I think she’s more anxious than Kera is.”

“Yeah, why?” Belle asked, then looked forward. She jerked in place.

“Well, to be honest, she’s grown attached to everypony, and I don’t think she can easily handle--”

Belle nudged Pilate hard.

The Zebra winced, then froze, his ears twitching. He gave the mess hall a quick scan with O.A.S.I.S.

The entire crew sat, gazing silently at the couple, as if frozen in conversation. Rainbow Dash hovered over the table, forelimbs curled as her ruby eyes glistened wide in the lanternlight. Even Floydien and Roarke were there--the elk in the far corner and the metal mare beneath a starlit porthole.

Belle gulped and said, “We… we need time.” She winced slightly, then turned her head slightly towards the corridor from which they trotted. “Kera needs time. I know we want to get out of Xonan territory as swiftly as possible, what with the cease-fire and all, but--”

“No more spit,” Floydien grumbled, his eyebrow raised. “The little boomerette needs days? She will have it.”

“I could totally use the time to work on fixing the skystone overlay!” Props said with a nervous smile.

“I’m talking to the locals about storing loads of rice,” Ebon Mane said. “I’m bartering a few spices and fruit that they normally don’t get around here.”

“I’m scratching my butt a lot,” Josho muttered. “Does that count for something?”

Eagle Eye rolled his eyes.

Belle smiled. She took a deep breath and said, “Thank you, everypony. Really. This means a lot to us.”

“Uh huh…” Zaid shifted uncomfortably. “And…?”

“And what?” Pilate asked.

The room was dead silent.

Belle cleared her throat. “There’s… there’s nothing to say yet. Please… let’s not force her to make a decision either. This is about her and her livelihood… after all…”

Roarke’s eye lenses pistoned back. She turned and trotted quietly scuffled out of the room.

Rainbow turned to look at that. Roarke was gone by the time the pegasus’ ruby eyes swept over the kitchen doorframe.

“So… then…” Pilate took a deep breath. “Might I suggest a good night’s rest, everypony?” He smiled gently. “Tomorrow is hopefully a bright and sunny day…”

PreviousChapters Next