• Published 19th Aug 2013
  • 2,556 Views, 31 Comments

Children of the night. - RoyalUnicornJohn1994



Luna has returned to Equestria. She's not evil anymore. In fact, there's something she wants the more: someone to share a true love.

  • ...
8
 31
 2,556

Chapter eight. Striped drugs.

Chapter eight. Striped drugs.

Everypony was out on this day. In the town market, several dozens of ponies were busy, shopping, chatting or simply hanging around.

In a few words, it was full of ponies. So, just walking in seemed like a very bad idea.

John and Luna stood at the edge of the Everfree forest, eyeing the small town from far.
"Damn. We just can't go in without being noticed by everypony." John stated at the same time he sat in a branch. Luna was sitting in another branch next to John..
"Yes. You are right. I doubt that my sister hasn't sent anypony here to look for us."

John still looked at some part to just sneak in. But it was impossible for him.
"John, look. We can go to another part. I know many cities where we could pass unnoticed."
"No. We're here. We just have to find a way for you to enter without being noticed. Hard to say, due to the fact that nopony would ignore the Princess of the night." Suddenly, a low rumble was heard. "Also, you're hungry." He stated, looking at the now blushing Luna.

John got down from the branch, being followed by Luna. At the time Luna got down, a small metallic object fell from her necklace. John almost instantly recognized it.
"Hey, it's your mother's earring. Isn't it?"

Luna turned to him. He picked it from the ground just to show it to her. Eyeing it for a second, she just nodded. Suddenly, she had an idea.

She went and put it into John's ear. Almost instantly, he transformed into a pony. John eyed himself, noting that he was exactly the same pony than before. Just a little change on the mark at his side: he had a chess knight before, but now, he had a mark of a shield.
"Huh. It changed." John said confused.

Luna eyed it for a few seconds. She didn't understood why his cutie mark changed. It was supposed that nopony could change it. Obvious to say, he wasn't a true pony.

She turned to him, about to say her conclusion. However, he seemed to be thinking something at that moment.
"Something is wrong?" Luna asked.
"No... I was just thinking that it doesn't really matter that it has changed. Actually, it's very good. If I have a different mark, then I could pass unsuspected."

Luna nodded at that confirmation. It seemed logical.
"By the way. What is this mark? Does everypony have one?" John said at the time he observed Luna's mark, also remembering seeing many ponies in Canterlot with a mark, too.
"They are named cutie marks. Each pony has one because it shows its owner's special talent."
"Special talent? Like if they are good in making... I don't know... candies?"
"Yes. A cutie mark of a candy will appear in their sides."
"Huh." He said at the time he stood in there, thoughtful.

Suddenly, some hoofsteps were heard at a short distance. John immediately stood between Luna and the sound's direction. Suddenly, a cloaked figure showed up. Her forehooves a white color with black stripes on them.

The cloaked figure suddenly stopped to turn toward them. Her blue eyes showing up through the darkness in her cloak.
"The ones in there. Who are you and what are you doing in here?" The cloaked figures asked in a serious tone.
"We're not seeking problems." John said, still at Luna's side.

The cloaked one didn't moved from its place.
"My name is Black. I'm here as her protector." John said at the time he pointed to Luna. The cloaked figure instantly reacted.
"Princess Luna. It is you who I am seeing? My heart with joy is radiating."

Luna instantly recognized that voice. It was the same that narrated Nightmare Moon's legend every nightmare night.
"Zecora? Is that you?"

She instantly took out the hood of her cloak, revealing a zebra with a wide smile. However, John didn't moved from his place between Luna and Zecora. Zecora noted this.
"My, my. Princess Luna, who is this fine young colt at your side? You two look like if you were in a slide." She said while observing the black ponies disheveled hair.

John cocked an eyebrow. Who was this zebra and why did she spoke in rhymes?

Luna, by her part, started to walk toward Zecora.
"Zecora. This is my loyal guard. And we're here because something happened with my sister."
"What? Something happened to your sister? What do you know about this, mister?" Zecora said while she turned to John.

He backed up a little. Luna got in.
"No. It's nothing we did... well..." Luna suddenly went thoughtful.

Zecora turned between Luna and Black. Obviously, those two were hiding something.
"In my hut we shall enter. In there, you can tell me what you remember."

After an hour, they told Zecora all their story. Every single detail. However, when they finished, Zecora couldn't believe them. She just sit in there, trying to rationalize if this was true. That was until John stood and took out the earring. He instantly transformed back to his human form. Zecora was stunned.
"... The evidence seems clear. Looks like the end of the peace in these lands is near." She said at the time she brought two small cups with herbal tea on them. Luna took her time on drinking it. But John seemed suspicious about her.
"Fear not, young one. For this recipe is not a poisonous one." Zecora said at the time she saw the doubt in John eyes.

He took a sip at the tea, tasting it. After a few moments, he started to drink it more confidently.
"I am curious about you, brave one." Zecora said at the time she turned toward John. "Why are you protecting her, with such a harsh tone?"
"... Excuse me?"
"Why are you protecting dear Luna over here? With your abilities, you could be hanging for yourself out there."
"... I'm only helping her in order for her to find somewhere where she can live happy and out of reach of her sister."

Zecora only hummed in response. She then turned to Luna and saw her thinking, too.
"Say, young man, can you do me a favor? I need a fruit which only grows in the upper part of this tree, but wonderful is its flavor."

John eyed her for a second or two. He then got up and got out. Before he got out, he turned around.
"If you wanted to speak with her in private, you just had to say it." John said before turning and exiting the room, leaving the zebra with a quiet laughter.
"He seems like a good fellow. Too bad that in his face is too much hollow."
"What do you mean, Zecora?"
"Dear Luna: This human seems too grim. Maybe he plans to throw you into a rim?"
"I don't think so, Zecora. He has saved me in many other times. As we told you, he protected me from Celestia's spell. And a few hours ago, he even got injured while protecting me from a few timberwolves."

Zecora only stood in there, trying to rationalize the reason of why he was so strong. He had survived to a fall of 30 feet, and with seemingly no harm. He defeated dozens of royal guards. Also, he had literally ripped through four timberwolves all by himself. she started to search for something between her things.
"What are you doing?" Zecora turned to the door, in which, John stood with a lot of fruits in his hands.
"Searching for something, my dear friend. With that, I will be able to if he is a fiend."

Zecora took a small bottle and returned to the table. Once in there, she poured its content in John's cup. Almost instantly, she returned to her calm position.

Just in that moment, John came back.
"Hey there. You didn't said how many you wanted... so... I brought plenty." John said at the time he entered with hands and his arms covered with an strange fruit.
"I thank you, young man. Now, I will only have to fan." Zecora said at the time she started to fan herself with her hoof.

John found it curious. After all, they were in a forest. Fresh by nature. He sat and started to drink from his tea while thinking about it. What was different in here? Luna was sitting as usual. Zecora lay in another wooden chair, there was this small bottle in the table, those masks were arranged in a... A bottle?

John's eyes instantly drifted toward the small bottle next to him. He instantly remembered that his cup was empty when he got out. He remained calm and quiet while trying to rationalize the situation.

It didn't was poison. He should be having some kind of reaction to it by that moment. But, then again... what was it?
"...Did you... drug me?" He asked at the time he turned to Zecora.
"Why. A smart one, indeed. But don't worry. It is not lethal, I ensured." Zecora said with a soft tone. "But now, tell me young one. Why are you with this one?" Zecora asked while turning toward Luna.
"I've already told you. I just want to find her a place where she can live happy because it was my fault that she were throw out of her home, that her sister became such a bitch and- did I said bitch?" John expression suddenly changed from a serious one to a concerned one. Suddenly, he turned toward his cup. Now, he already knew what Zecora had given to him. "You game a Truth potion?"

Zecora only nodded. Suddenly, her tone changed from a serious one to a playful one.
"Now that I've assured that you are telling truth." Suddenly, she got closer to him and whispered into his ear. "What do you think of Luna, human youth?"
"... What do you mean by that?" John asked before standing and walk around. "For the time I have been with her, I saw a kind soul. She's gentle, smart. Never quits on what she wants. She's cute. She's power- did I say cute?" John frowned once again, as well as Luna.

Luna was blushing. While she never was called "cute", it sounded strange on him. Specially for someone so harsh as him. Luna could only give him a reassuring smile while he stood shocked by his own language.

Meanwhile, Zecora never have been more surprised in her life. The hollow in his face seemed to fade away while it was replaced with an embarrassed one. She could see a kind one. One who would sacrifice his own life for others. She then, made her decision. She turned around and picked another bottle. She then turned to him and offered it.

John, still unsure about her, reached nervously at the bottle.
"What's in here?"
"A potion that will allow you to control your strength.Still in your pony form, you can throw somepony a great length."
"So... this will help to pretend that I'm a pony."

Zecora only nodded. She then took a pair of saddlebags and put the fruits inside of them. She then put it in front of John. He only looked at her with a puzzled expression.
"If you are taking her with you, make sure that she is well taken care." She then started to whisper to him. "And be sure to watch over her intently or dead you are." She said while she went back to her usual demeanor.

Once in the outside, Zecora wished them good luck and waved them good-bye. Both of them started their journey back to Ponyville. Zecora had recommended them to talk with Twilight Sparkle and her friends.

John, once again transformed in pony, carried the saddlebags that Zecora lend them. Luna followed him from behind. Both stayed silent for a while. That was until Luna came up with a fun idea.
"So..." She said at the time she trotted at his side, catching John's attention. "... You think I'm cute?"
"Oh, please. Don't get me started on how beautiful you look with the moon behind you, how you mane swirls so magically, so- DAMN! This potion is acting overly good on me."

Luna, though blushing, found this ratter fun.
"... How my mane swirls so magically?" She whispered to him, gaining another groan from John, which she saw fun.
"ugh... This is gonna be a long journey."

Author's Note:

Finally. Time to get back to work on this one. Though, I have other projects to keep on, I was really hoping to get back. And here it is!
Comments and critics are welcome, as usual.

Comments ( 2 )

he he he nice one whit the truth potion, well done chapter:rainbowlaugh:

well i must admit, this chapter might leave me in a laughing fit

Login or register to comment