• Published 19th Aug 2013
  • 2,556 Views, 31 Comments

Children of the night. - RoyalUnicornJohn1994



Luna has returned to Equestria. She's not evil anymore. In fact, there's something she wants the more: someone to share a true love.

  • ...
8
 31
 2,556

Chapter four. Night Mare Moon.

Chapter four. Night Mare Moon.

"... Hah! What about this one? Check!" Luna shouted while moving a bishop to a position where John's King was in check.
"... Hm. Good one. However, I... think... you missed one thing." John said while moving his Queen between Luna's Bishop and his King. "Check Mate."

Luna stood in awe while inspecting the board: He was right.
"... Ten movements... Huh. This time you lasted longer than before." John said to her.

Luna stood in front of him while wearing a frustrated expression.
"I WANT ANOTHER DUEL!" She shouted to him.
"<yawwn> You know, one would expect that, after nineteen defeats, you would be more than tired of it."
"... It has been nineteen battles?" Luna asked confused.
"Yep. And, you know... I'm kinda sleepy right now."

Luna suddenly remembered that, even when he were a pony right then, he still was an injured human. He needed to rest.

Suddenly, a deep feeling of guilt overwhelmed her.
"Hey. You okay?" John asked.
"...Hm? Oh, yes. We are fine."

Luna moved from her place in front of him.
"If thou art in need to rest, then... Thou shalt be Our host."
"...Alright, so... what?" John asked, confused.

Luna got annoyed by the fact that, sometimes, ponies couldn't understand her royal language.
"I meant that I shall give you a room to stay."
"Here? In the castle?"
"Yes. We shalt let thou stay in the East tower."
"Oh. Well... thanks."
"Thou art welcome."

Luna lead him to one of the towers in the castle. Once in there, he got comfortable in the large bed in the middle of the room.
"Art thou well with this?"
"... Princess... may I ask you something?"

Luna got surprised by that. John seemed concerned by something.
"... Please, ask to us."
"... I know that you didn't wanted your sister, or anypony else... at least, not with my human form... I assume that humans are not well received in this land..."

Luna only nodded to the facts that John was describing to her.
"Then again... I have been thinking seriously through the night and... if humans are not welcomed... why did you saved me?"

Luna literally was taken back by this question.

He was right: If he wasn't received by the others, then... why did she even hide him from her sister, who was the wisest creature in this world?
"... I... I don't know... I think that I couldn't let you die in there... I'm not anything like that..." Luna said while turning to the huge window, where her moon was in the sky.
"... Thanks..."

Luna turned to him.
"Thanks... I mean, for everything you're doing for me... you're giving me a bed... medical services... seriously, thanks a lot."

Luna's face blushed by the comment of him. Nopony ever said those things to her.
"... Thou art welcomed... we shall see you in the night."

With that, Luna got out of the room, still thinking why she felt so happy with him saying those things.

The sun was arising in the horizon, and it shined all over the glorious city of Canterlot. Soon, the streets started to live with all the ponies walking here and there, each one of them with their own worries and business.

In the tower of Canterlot, John (still as Black Knight) lied in his bed. He was sleeping deeply, even snorting.

His unknown dream was interrupted when the warm (and somewhat annoying) light of the sun entered his room. He opened his eyes. However, he wasn't prepared to see a pony in there.

A white mare was in there, cleaning the room. She seemed like if she hadn't realized that he was there.
"Hey there. Good morning." John said to the mare, still beneath his covers.

The mare turned to him. She didn't seemed surprised, to say at least.
"Good morning, mister Black." She greeted him back.
"Huh? How do you know my name?
"Princess Luna asked me to see if you were fine in the morning."

He smirked while making a mental list of how many favors he debt to the princess.
"So, mister Black. What would you want for breakfast?"
"Umm... I suppose something simple would be fine."
"... By simple you mean...?"
"... I don't know... some cereal?"
"Right away, mister."

The maid got out of the room. John got out of his comfy bed and gave a look around.

The room where he was had a comfortable environment. The light of the sun made everything more comforter.

However, he turned his sight toward a nearby mirror in the wall. He just caught a glimpse of his pony form. Now, with the light of the sun, it was easier to see himself.

He was a fully grown stallion. His fur was of a strong black color and his mane was of two kind of browns, some parts of a light brown and the others were darker.

More surprising to him was that he had some kind of mark in his sides. It was a chess Knight.
"Here is your cereal, mister Black."
"Huh? Oh, yeah... thank you... ?" He asked her with her hoof.
"Mary. Mary Maid."
"... Thank you very much, Mary."

After having his breakfast, John asked Mary to give him a trip around of the town.

He had curiosity for this place, seemingly full of talking ponies. It was easier for him. Now that he was a pony, he was able to understand easier the conversation between the other ponies.

At the first half of the day, they had seen most of the town.
"Hey, Mary."
"Yes, mister Black?"
"... I was wondering... is there a library in here?"
"Why, of course there is, mister."
"Could you take me there?"
"It'll be a pleasure."

They arrived to the library a few hours later. In there, Mary finally let him move freely.
"You are free to look around. I'll be waiting for you outside."
"Thank you very much, Mary."

John got inside of the library and looked around.

It was a huge hall, filled with tons of books good arranged in shelves as big as a house.
"Good afternoon."

John turned to see the librarian, a young mare who was stamping some books.
"Oh, good afternoon."
"What are you looking for?"
"Um... Equestrian history... for academical reasons, you know." He answered, trying to hide a small grin.
"... Hmm... Equestrian history... ninth row. It's a full section."
"Alright... thanks..."
"And be quiet!"


John started to wander around in the library, searching for the section labeled "History".

However, as he passed through another section, something caught his attention.

This section was labeled "Princess Luna".

He got instantly curious about his savior. After all, he wanted to thank her for everything she did for him. He walked toward that section and saw many books. There would be at least a whole house of books in there.

Some of them showed part of her biography. Some others talked about how she got her ability to control the moon.

The more he read about her, the more she seemed like a goddess... more difficult for him to give her something worth his own life.

However, before leaving, he saw one last book.

Nightmare Moon. The secret of princess Luna.

Curiosity got his best, for he went and pick the book.

Once he started to read it, he started to know better this Luna.

She was just somepony who wanted to be important to others, to share happiness with others... to be loved. However, as nopony gave her what she wanted, she got out of control and she transformed into something the book called "monster".

John somehow could understand her. He wasn't a pony, but... something deep in his mind made him realize that she was the same than he.

Later, he finally found the History section. Wandering around, he found the book he was searching:

Equestria. The beginnings of the pony race.

In the instant he opened it, he saw an scene in the book that seemed pretty familiar.

In the scene, a male alicorn was standing with the flag of the pony army in a hill. Some human corpses could be seen in the end of the hill. Some ponies were standing in the hill, holding some swords and spears and giving a war roar.

The title of the chapter was How we won our freedom.


Luna was sleeping deeply when she felt the sun in the horizon, signal that her sister's guard was finishing and hers would be starting soon.

She got up from her bed and stretched her wings, preparing for the task at hoof.


John finished reading the chapter, and found out why Luna didn't wanted her sister to see him in his human form.

He exited the library, with his head looking to the ground.

He was saved by a pony that was like him: a lonely soul. Still, if he was caught in his human form, she would be blamed in the instant they found out that she was the one who saved him.
...

He wouldn't let that happen.
...

All of sudden, a scream took him again to reality. Turning around, he didn't saw Mary anywhere.

He turned to an alley and saw that Mary was being molested by five colts.
"Oh, c'mon sweetie. You wouldn't want to spend the night alone." One of the colts said.
"Yeah. Furthermore, I know of some ways you could... service us." Another one said and the others started to laugh.
"Please, I beg you... let me go." Mary pleaded to them.
"Sorry, Sweetie. Can't let you go away."

As they started to get closer, John made his move.
"Hey!"

All of them turned to the pony who dared to talk tot them.
"Nothing of your business, dude. Get out of here."
"I'm sorry, but i couldn't help but notice that you cowards are doing something to my partner."
"Yeah, so?"
"I'm not of the kind of pony who just stand and don't do a thing."

One of the ponies turned to the others and made a sign with his head. Instantly, the other four ponies started to walk toward John.
"Four against one. Pretty fair."

One of the ponies started to sprint against him. Just a few feet from him, he jumped and tried to punch him in the face.

John's mind started to work. He could see random memories of fighting tactics, as well as other movements. In the instant the hoof was one inch from his face, John acted.

He seemed like a statue before the enemy pony almost reached his face. In that instant, he could be compared to a sonic rain-plosion, for his speed was no comparison to anything.

John moved to the point that he grabbed the enemy hoof and threw him to another enemy.

Another pony pick up a large stick and tried to hit him with it. Instead of that, John grabbed the stick and turned the attack against his enemy.

The fourth one moved and tried to crack his neck, only for John to get out of his grip and launching him toward the wall.

Looking back at the gang's leader, he started to sweat. Sweat like if he were in the middle of the dessert.
"Hey, dude. I-I don't wanna hurt you. Just... stay away!" The amount of nervousness on his voice growing up.
"You should have thought about it before trying to abuse my friend." John said as he made his way to the end of the ally, where the desperate unicorn started to aim with his horn.

Mary was afraid, too. She had never seen such amount of anger in a look.

The unicorn started to shudder, just for the look the pony in front of him gave him.

His horn started to shine and in a flash of light, he was gone.
"... coward." John said at the time he went toward Mary.
"You okay?"
"Yes, mister Black. I'm okay."
"CĀ“mon. Let's get out of here."

As Mary passed by the knocked out ponies, she wondered just how did he do that. He seemed everything but athletic, but still... she never saw such a speed like that before.


Luna had finished her labor of lifting the moon. Now, she was preparing for her hopefully not so boring night shift.

She was even prepared for Black's return. A small chess laying in a small table next to the throne.

This time, she wouldn't loss to him.

The door of the great hall opened, revealing a pair of ponies just entering. Mary was in a close distance from Black, who was eagerly looking after her.

Luna saw him and smiled before talking to him.
"We trust thy journey through Canterlot hast been joyful." Luna said from the throne.
"Huh? Oh... <ahem> It was ggeally joyful, your highness. Cantelot is just a so beautiful city. Oh, and Madame Maggy in hege cared to show me the sight of all Equestria. Such a wonderful sight!" He said at the time he acted like a true high-class pony.

Luna smirked at his obvious act. She made a sign to the guards to leave them.
"Mister Black. Could thou wait for us in the outside?"

After that, she turned toward Marie with a serious expression on her face.
"Thou shalt tell us..." She said at the time she started to walk toward her. "... how is he like?" Luna asked at the time her face went from a serious and somewhat intimidating one to the one of a teen filly.
"I beg you pardon, milady?" Mary asked, seemingly confused.
"Yes, tell us. How is he like?" Luna really seemed like a teenager filly, trying to find out how was somepony.
"Oh... well... he's kind. He always took care of me while we were out..."
"How is that?"
"Well... I was being molested by some colts in an alley, near of the library. But..."
"But... what?"
"Well... He came to rescue me. He knocked out four colts within a few seconds!"
"He knocked them out?"


John stood outside of the library for a while, waiting for Luna to speak with her maid.

Suddenly, the door opened, revealing a serious Luna.
"Thou shalt come with us."

That was all she said before leading him toward her room.

As usual, when John entered he could see a small chess board in the middle of the room. However, Luna didn't sat in her place. She just stood in there, watching him.

John, by his part, stood in the middle of the room.
"How comes that you defeat four ponies in less than a minute?" Luna asked to him.
"As usual, I think you know the answer to that, milady."

Luna rolled her eyes in annoyance. It always came the same way when she asked him something about his past.

John only saw as she started to wander through her room, looking at everything, still at nothing. Obviously, she was thinking something.

It was then that he remembered about the book he read earlier. He wanted to give her something. But, still... he didn't have nothing to give her. And he didn't have the money for that.

All he caused to her since the moment he came in here was a series of worryings and other things. Therefore, he only made a conclusion.
"I'm leaving tonight, princess."

Luna suddenly froze up in place. She turned to look at him with a face that showed nothing but surprise. She turned quickly toward him.
"What did you say?"
"I said that I'm leaving tonight."

Luna could feel like if she were losing something important.
"... Why do you say that?"
"Well... You've been seeing pretty stressed lately. I don't know if you were like this before, but..."
"But... What?"
"But... Well... I'll be honest with you. Earlier, I went to the library. I wanted to know something about the story of this land. However, I found a whole section about you. I picked up a book which talked about some "Nightmare Moon"."

Luna's eyes shrank with the only mention of that name.
"Are you... are you... afraid of...?"
"No. I'm not afraid of you... But, I understand you, now."
"W-What do you mean?"
"I mean... That I understand you. You only want to be loved."

Luna could only turn to the floor to hide her embarrassment.
"And you can't if I'm here."
"What do you mean by that?"
"Just think about it. What will the other ponies think of you when they know what I am?"

Before Luna could answer, a voice came from behind them.
"And what exactly are you?"

Luna's expression became one of terror.And John started to get creeps. Almost instantly, he recognized that voice. He turned around to see the very same Celestia standing behind him.
"Oh, Pincess, I thought you wege asleep."
"Oh, no. I just spent this day investigating about you."

John was really afraid at that moment.
"I investigated and, you know what? I didn't found any pony with the same name as yours. Your name is invented."

As Celestia started to approach to him, John started to get back.
"As far as I know, you don't exist. Oh! Another curious thing that I learned is that your brain is far more advanced than the ponies. Therefore, I'm totally sure that you're not a pony."

John hit the wall, getting him cornered between the wall and Celestia.
"So, I will only ask you this one time. What are you?"
"Umm... That's... confidential..." John said while starting to sweat.

Celestia eyed him. Turning toward her sister, she saw that she was trembling, too.
"Luna. What do you know about this being?"

Suddenly, while Celestia turned again to John, she saw a small earring. She immediately recognized it.
"What are you doing with our Mother's earring?!"

Using her magic, she removed the earring from John's ear, turning him to his former self.

Author's Note:

Wow. With much, the largest chapter 'till now.
Sorry for the wait.
Comments and critics are welcomed.