• Published 8th Sep 2013
  • 5,348 Views, 151 Comments

Apocalypse: Worlds End or New Beginnings - Blue dragon 116



One child is cursed with a unholy power the power to change into anything and make youre fears a reality. When he is sent to equestria by mistake can he help against the impending evil or will he just quicking the ponies fall into oblivion

  • ...
22
 151
 5,348

the garden

I stumbled outside the hive still half asleep until a shadow crossed my path and then vanished as quickly as it came. I looked up to see nothing except the full moon, and was pondering returning to the hive and some well deserved sleep. When I saw many small shadows glide across the sky. I stared in the direction the figures disappeared in and was pondering following when the song started again.

come little children, ill take the away,

Into a land of enchantment, come little children,

the times come to play, here in my garden of shadows

As the music washed over me I was left with a feeling of serenity I've never felt before and left me hoping for more as it faded away into the distance. Almost without thinking I shifted and launched into the air following the shadows as they weaved to and fro across the night sky. Slowly I drew near enough I could make out details and was amazed by what I saw, ponies of all races and children at that in the sky. Just as at home in the air as they are on land and then the first figure appeared again. Rising over the clouds came Luna a few more children following her with her voice ringing out clear as the sky above.

follow sweet children, ill show thee the way,
through all the pain and the sorrows. weep not poor children,
for life is this way. murdering beauty and passion..

Luna and the children frolicked in the air above the clouds for what felt like hours by the moons soft light. All of them completely missing my hulking form hovering in the air not far from them even the sound of my wings beating the air seemed lost on them. Then as the moon was falling towards the horizon and the children all began to yawn and tire. Luna gathered them all around her and led them towards a mountain on the horizon with me following slowly. The mountain in the distance quickly drew near to reveal a huge valley nestled between its peaks most of it dominated by forests. Luna lead the children down to the ground and then through the trees. Only when they all disappeared beneath the trees did I land and follow my massive feet surprisingly making hardly a sound, my claws leaving no trace of my passing. Their came a point where I feared I had lost them until Luna's voice drifted to me between the trees. leading me to yet another clearing but this one had small homes within and a creek running through it looking like a piece of the night sky itself as it flowed noiselessly through. Then all the children sat at the base of a tree next to the creek facing Luna who had her back to me. And then more came from the little homes, not many maybe ten or fifteen but they were all led by a single unicorn mare. She had a tan mane and tail with a light brown coat. With a rich brown at the tips of her ears and the base of her hooves and the most beautiful emerald eyes. Quickly her and the children approached Luna and embraced her warmly, like family welcoming a long missed relative. Shortly their after the children settled in amongst those already their as the mare leaned against the tree and gave their full attention to Luna.

"Welcome dear children to my garden of shadows." She said warmly her voice so welcoming and caring. "Here you will be free from the worry's of life, you shall never grow old. you shall never fall ill, and may play till your hearts content." After she said this all the children let our a thunderous cheer, all save one who was sitting off to the side by himself. As the cheers died down Luna slowly approached the little colt and lay next to him no longer with her back to me and I could see her face, and what I saw made me smile. She had the softest maternal smile I had ever seen almost as if all the world wouldn't matter if the little one next to her wasn't happy.

"Tell me child why do you not cheer like your friends?" Luna asked quietly as she leaned down and nuzzled the colt warmly. I quickly moved closer to hear his reply though I stayed to the shadows of the trees to avoid being seen.

"I...I...I want to go home" he said shakily looking anywhere but at Luna. Their was silence as the child awaited Luna's reply and he recoiled when he heard her voice almost as if he feared she would strike him.

"What bothers you so little one?" Luna asked her concern filling her voice as she tried to lean closer to the colt but he quickly scrambled away putting a little distance between Luna and himself before replying.

"Y....yo...your Nightmare Moon" He stammered out visibly shaking in place. Luna recoiled just barely, had I not been watching her I would have missed it. Her smile faltered slightly but quickly came back as she slowly stood and approached the colt.

"You need not worry little one for you see I am no long the monster you think me to be." Luna said as she slowly stretched out her wing bringing the colt into a warm hug.

"That monster has long since passed from this land, but if you wish to return home I will not stop you. In fact I shall see you home myself when the time comes to leave." Just as she finished speaking I settled in to watch what happened when a branch snapped loudly under foot, causing every head to snap to my general direction. I knew Luna and the unicorn knew where I was since their eyes narrowed dangerously as they put themselves between me and the children saying.

"We know you are their come out at once and identify yourself." their tones left no room for argument so I chuckled loudly startling the two mare and the children behind them. deciding to have a little fun, I took a deep breath and exhaled through my nose blowing a think white smoke across the ground that crept closer to those gathered before me. I stepped forward slowly walking past the smoke as if I came from it and watched as the unicorns expression went from shock to dismay, meanwhile Luna's went from confusion to a warm smile.

"All right girls you caught me what now." I said smiling like a fool as I awaited their reply. Their was a long drawn out silence as all gathered their simply stared at me, the children full of wonder and a little fear, the unicorn mare with concern and Luna with nothing more than a friendly smile.

"Everypony this is Thomas a friend of mine." Luna said as she walked over to me and craned her head back to look at me. Chuckling I lowered my head to her level and smiled at her earning a few gasps from the children behind her. I shot a glance at the children seeing in that instant most of them were calming down all save the single colt and a few others. Luna must have noticed my look because she sighed sadly and turned to face the colt as he trembled where he stood.

"Come little one lets get you home" Luna said sadly her horn lighting up same as the colt who began to float just off the ground. Luna had just spread her wings to fly when a shadow enveloped her and the colt and gave her pause. Startled they both looked up to see one of my leathery wings above them and a unreadable expression on my face.

"Before you leave little one I would like a word with you" I said my voice matching my expression giving nothing away. Confused the colt looked to Luna who shot me a quizzical look but nodded yes none the less, and when she did I retracted my wing letting it return to my side. The colt began to approach me slowly as I lay down before him and waited for him to get closer. Even laying down the child had to bend his head back to a almost unnatural angle, so to save him trouble I shifted to a dull grey pegasus and beckoned him forward with a wing. He stood their wide eyed and mouth agape much like the rest of the children and the unicorn mare as well earning another chuckle from me. Which seemed to snap the boy from his stupor as he lay down across from me just out of reach with his back to Luna.

"What are you" he said his voice full of both wonder and fear as he stared at me his eyes the size of saucers.

"Im a friend" I said trying not to laugh at his expression. "Now tell me little one how do you know the legend of Nightmare Moon?" At the mention of her past Luna flinched yet again but less so than before as we all waited to hear the child's reply.

"My mother told me...... before she died." He said his voice breaking on the verge of tears but he continued. "She told me Nightmare Moon was a monster who wanted to hurt innocent ponies. And she said that Nightmare Moon would take naughty children from their beds at night to never be seen again."

Their was another long silence as I thought over what was said as the colt shifted back and forth uncomfortably.

"So then tell me little one have you been naughty?" The little colt shook his head no. "Ok has LUNA hurt you or any other pony?" again he shook his head no but quickly said.

"But I know she is Nightmare Moon I've seen pictures of her in books that I've read and that is her."

"Is that so?" I said giving the colt a "ohh really' look earning a furious nod yes. Without a word I shifted and stood facing the boy as he cowered in fear, their now being two "Nightmare Moons".

"You cant judge a book by its cover child" I said turning back to a pegasus and laying down.

"Now I want you to look at Luna and I mean look and tell me what you see." The colt gave me a confused look only to have me motion to Luna with a nod of my head. Still confused the boy slowly turned and faced Luna who had a sad, dejected look on her face while she smiled sadly at the colt. Slowly the boy visibly began to relax and then he slowly trotted over to Luna. For a long drawn out minute the two simply stared at one another before the colt bolted forward and hugged Luna tightly around her neck. Luna stood their eyes wide in shock simply staring ahead blankly before she finally returned the hug. When the two separated the little colt had the beginning's of tears in his eyes which Luna quickly wiped away with a brush of her wing.

"Im so sorry princess I didn't....."

"Worry not little one no harm done" Luna said smiling down at him warmly. "Why don't you go play with the other children ok?" The colt nodded yes eagerly and shot me a grateful smile before running to join a game of tag that had started. I laughed to myself as the boy ran away to join the other children and Luna came to stand by me.

"What did you do?" Luna asked staring at me with confused eyes. I chuckled in return and stretched returning to my dragon form as I did so and relaxed.

"I didn't do anything my dear" I said as I eyed Luna from my spot on the ground as she shot me a skeptical glare. " Truly I did nothing it was all the boy I simply asked him to look not at your appearance but your expression, and how you acted. You see children have a innate ability to be a excellent judge of character when they arnt weighed down by the misconceptions we adults are. If you want to know a person or ponies true character have them interact with children." Luna sat and thought over what was said glancing at the children and then back at me.

"Either way you are very good with children... are you a father?" She said her question catching me off guard and causing me to double take and then look at Luna as If she was crazy.

"No Luna I am not a father." I said chuckling before my expression turned dark and my eyes sort of misted over. Luna noticed this and was about to ask about it when I said.

"The argument could be made im still a child on the inside, granted a highly mature and skeptical child but a child none the less." Luna looked at me confused and continued to do so until I let out a tired sigh and shifted so I was facing her better.

"Lets just say I didn't have much of childhood after I was old enough to communicate efficiently." I said visibly cringing from some of the memory's this conversation were dredging up, especially the one of her.... Their was a long silence as I stared off unseeingly lost in my memory's and Luna pondered how to continue. I was dragged back to reality by the sound of someone clearing their throat. I looked over to see Luna had laid down next to me a sad look on her face as she looked up at me her moon reflected in her eyes.

"Im here to listen if you should care to speak of it" Luna said before she rubbed against my side comfortingly never breaking eye contact. I smiled warmly at her grateful for her comfort, but I doubted she would want to hear this tale and I told her as much.

"I doubt this is a tale you wish to hear Luna it isn't pleasant." I said earning a annoyed glare from Luna who said.

"I would not have made the offer had I not wanted to help you Thomas." I chuckled knowing I should have seen that one coming at me, but at least I did try and dissuade her.

"All right Luna I shall tell you but this tale would be much easier shown." I said earning a confused look from Luna who just looked to damn cute as she looked at me. "lean forward and touch your horn to my forehead and you shall understand" I said barely holding back laughing at her expression. Slowly she leant forward as did I and then her horn made contact and our eyes closed. When next they opened no longer were we in Luna's garden but the familiar forest of my nightmares. Luna looked around confused and was just about to ask something when the nightmare began again. Silently we watched and followed as it played out and then watched as it faded to reveal a long white corridor. Luna turned and faced me her eyes misted over and on the verge of tears, her mouth opened to speak but she was stopped by I single look and we continued on. We went down the corridor opening doors that led to memoires I felt were important and passing the others. And all to quickly we came to one of the last doors, it was a ordinary wooden door the only thing marking it as different from the others in the corridor was the plague that read " monster" in gold letters half way up the door. Luna shot me a quizzical glance as she fought down tears from all she has seen and I couldn't help but think to myself. If she is on the verge of tears now she will surely cry after this without a word the door opened and I stepped through followed shortly their after by Luna. The room we entered wasn't unlike the corridor we just left all four walls were a dull white same for the floor and ceiling. The only differences were the small bed and the child who lay upon it.

Their before us was another me maybe seven or eight years old absentmindedly twiddling his thumbs as he stared off in to space. Then the door behind us opened and a all to familiar figure came through the door his hood up blocking his face as always but the difference was he had a small dog in his hands. The younger me perked up when he saw the animal and I flinched already knowing what was to come. Slowly the man approached my doppelganger and held out the puppy to him a dark smile just barely visible beneath the shadow of his hood. Slowly the hooded figure sat the puppy on the bed across from the younger me and let it roam around for a while. A couple hours passed with the hooded figure just standing in the corner of the room watching the dog and I get to know each other. Then as the puppy was on my younger versions chest liking his face the figure came forward and in one fluid motion snapped the dogs neck. My younger self sat their stunned for a long drawn out moment staring at the now still and lifeless puppy laying on his chest. Until he began to cry and scream first patting the dogs head for a second before throwing the body across the room screaming. Another evil grin could be seen on the mans face before he disappeared back out the door. And as he did the whole scene faded out again leaving nothing but me and Luna and she was sobbing loudly. Luna just turned to look at me to say something comforting no doubt but I held up a claw to stop her and said.

"Its not over yet little one" When I said that Luna looked at me like I was insane through tear filled eyes and the area around us changed again. It was the same room but a different age me and the same thing happened the man brought in a random animal let me get used to it and then killed it. This scene seemed to play on repeat as more time passed and more animals would be brought in and then killed on me until I lost count of the animals killed and it didn't even faze me anymore. Then once again the scene changed to show a version of me three years in the past curled up in a ball my clothes stained red and nothing but rags. Again the door opened but this time someone different came through instead of a man their stood a women tall, petite, and beautiful something completely out of place here. Slowly she approached the younger me and sat on my bed whispering soothingly to me. Before she leaned over and pulled me into a warm hug. Then the scene began to fade away with the younger me finely breaking down and crying on the women's shoulder. Then just as the scene was about to fade completely everything was engulfed in flames, their was the sound of a women's scream, and then when everything was flames a dragons head erupted from the flames and came at me and Luna. And just before it hit Luna screamed horribly and then we were back in her garden all the children were still playing games. Their was a long silence since neither of us said anything

"Good night Luna im sorry this has disturbed you." I said slowly turned away and made my back to the first glade. I had just opened my wings and was preparing to leave when I heard something behind me. I turned and saw Luna trotting towards me her eyes full of tears she didn't say a word just looked me in the eye. Then she jumped into the air and flew up to my face and hovered their for a long moment before she hugged my face warmly earning a smile from me.

"Thank you Luna im sorry I made you upset" I said when she released my face. "Until next time princess" I said before launching into the sky and heading back to the hive and await the beginning of the new day.