• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 3,926 Views, 24 Comments

To Light a Fire - Peppy Greyskull



Trixie travels into the Everfree to retrieve an ingredient needed by Twilight.

  • ...
25
 24
 3,926

To Light a Fire

To Light a Fire

The sun shone down on the town of Ponyville, its comforting rays warming all that they graced. Twilight smiled, leaning towards the window of the library in an attempt to fight off the chill of her current project. She glanced back to the bubbling cauldron, frowning at the frosty fog roiling over the sides. This just isn't working how I want it to! She sighed heavily and moved closer. “Trixie, could you fetch me the copy of ‘Magical Brews and Powerful Concoctions’? I just can’t figure out why it won’t stop trying to freeze.” She kept her eyes focused on her project, but motioned to where the book was supposed to be.

“Trixie does not see why you cannot get the book yourself, Twilight.” The azure unicorn lit her horn and extracted the tome without averting her gaze from the lavender mare. “Why do you not keep the thing out if you are using it so often? Trixie has had to remove and replace this book thirty-eight times in the past hour and she is quite tired of it.” She opened the book to the page Twilight had asked her to find numerous times, once again without removing her eyes from Twilight’s form.

Twilight nodded absentmindedly. “I’m sorry, Trixie, but I just have to figure this out. I’ve been trying to get this potion finished for weeks now.” The icy-maned unicorn sighed in frustration at Twilight’s dismissal of her complaints. “Now let’s see...-. ‘In order to create Heatless Fire, you first need to prepare a cauldron filled with salamander oil.’ Okay, already did that. ‘Heat the cauldron over an open flame for approximately thirty minutes. After the oil has reached its optimal temperature of seven-hundred fifty degrees, add five ounces of....’ This isn’t helping me at all! I’ve done all of this countless times and the same thing keeps happening!”

She sighed and glared angrily at the offending object. “Trixie thinks that perhaps you are missing something. You have been working nearly nonstop and are probably just overlooking a step. Let Trixie have a look.” She pulled the book away from Twilight and skimmed the page. She smiled deviously as she came to a note below a scene depicting the lavender unicorn’s current predicament. “As always, The Great and Powerful Trixie has proven herself the greater unicorn. You’ve been ignoring the footnotes on the illustrations.”

Twilight cast a harsh glance towards Trixie, but the mare didn’t take any heed of the action. “What do you mean?! I’ve read everything on that page hundreds of times!”

Trixie laughed haughtily before shoving the text in Twilight’s face. “See? Trixie is always right. It says that you need to add-.”

“DARKMOSS!?” Twilight’s outburst startled the azure unicorn causing her to drop her magical hold on the book.

“What!? What was that for!?” Trixie calmed her breathing and glared sternly at Twilight who ignored her. “Trixie is not amused, Twilight. It is impolite to ignore a pony. What is wrong?”

“I don’t have any darkmoss.”

“Why is that a problem? We can just go and retrieve some.” Trixie grinned. “For a unicorn as intelligent as you are, Trixie cannot understand how you can be so dense.”

“I’m not dense! And we can’t go get darkmoss.” Twilight frowned, her motivation to complete the mixture broken.

Trixie watched her worriedly. Ohh, I cannot stand to see Twilight like this. I didn’t mean to offend her. “Trixie is sorry, Twilight. I... didn’t mean to upset you.” She looked at her hooves, embarrassed.

Twilight blinked, confused. She never apologizes. “It’s fine, Trixie, but we can’t get the darkmoss. It can only be found on trees in the darkest depths of the Everfree Forest.”

“Trixie still does not see why that is a problem.” She waved a hoof in Twilight’s direction and turned towards the door. “If you won’t go, then the Great and Powerful Trixie will. Trixie will show you who the superior pony is.”

“Trixie, wait! You can’t-!”

“Silence, Twilight. Trixie is going and you cannot stop me. If you need the moss and will not get it yourself, then Trixie shall go in your place.” She smirked and trotted out the door, heedless of Twilight’s trepidation.

Twilight opened her mouth to protest the mare’s actions, but she had already closed the door behind her. But Trixie.... It’s dangerous....


Trixie beamed as she traversed the streets of Ponyville, her hooves clopping against the ground with each step. I can finally do something to help Twilight. Her grin widened. I’ve been living there for a few months now and I haven’t been able to do anything in return for her kindness other than help her with experiments and chores. Well, not anymore! I may not have left on good terms, but I will certainly make it up to her by finding that moss! She quickly passed by the rows of houses and shops that filled Ponyville Square, the main hub of the town, and strode down the street that led towards the Everfree Forest. I do not see why she doesn’t just go and get it herself. She obviously has far more potential than me, however much I am loathe to admit it. So why didn’t she?

Trixie sighed and looked around. Ponies milled about her, basking in the warmth of Celestia’s sun, a common sight in the early spring. It wasn’t uncommon for the ponies to greet her after all this time, but Trixie was still nervous while walking about the town. After all, it was only a few months ago that she had returned from her previous embarrassing flight from Ponyville and she certainly hadn’t left on the best of terms. She recalled when she first came back to town, the sneers and harsh whispering of the ponies almost made her leave immediately. Until she came across Twilight Sparkle. She smiled as the memories flooded back to her.


“Oh, hello Trixie!”

I turned towards the sound of my name being called, wary of their intentions. My eyes scanned the small area and fell on the lavender mare standing outside a tree. I recognized her, and for good reason. “You’re the one that made Trixie look like a foal. What do you want?” I was not pleased to have my first conversation in Ponyville with the pony that had humiliated me, but the look on her face from my words nearly made me regret even thinking them.

“Oh.... I’m sorry.... I didn’t.... I’ll just go inside....”

I watched her turn around and begin to enter the door behind her, but my guilt kept me from letting her continue. “Wait! Trixie is.... What did you wish to say?” I watched her turn around and smile faintly.

“I was just going to ask how you were. It’s been a few weeks since you left and I can’t imagine-.” Much to my dismay, my stomach chose that moment to utter its grievances. With a deep rumble, my hunger interrupted the mare. I blushed heavily, embarrassed at having my current state announced as such. I feared that she would laugh at me, but, instead, she looked on in worry. “You look awful, Trixie! How long has it been since you’ve eaten?”

I flinched, not expecting the concern especially after my rude retort only moments ago. “Trixie hasn’t eaten in... almost four days.... It has been difficult....” I was almost on the verge of tears after confessing to her. I never thought that something like the past month could happen to me and it’s left me exhausted.

She gasped in surprise, the worry being etched into her features. “Oh, Trixie.... Come inside. I’ll let you use my shower and fix you some food while you’re in there.” She smiled warmly, holding the door to her house open with her magic. I started crying. “Wh-what’s wrong? Are you okay? Was it something I said? I’m so sorry.”

“No.... No it’s just....” I wiped my face with a hoof in an attempt to clear away my tears, but they continued to flow. “No.... Nopony has ever been... so nice to me....”

She frowned and watched me cry for a few moments before pulling me into a much welcomed embrace. “That’s horrible.... You may have made mistakes before, but I doubt you’re a bad pony at heart. Come on, let’s get you inside so you can eat and get some rest. I’m sure you’re exhausted.”

I nodded, wiping my face again as she began walking towards the entrance once more. I frowned, realizing I couldn’t remember her name. “Wait!” She looked at me, curiosity playing across her face. “Trixie.... I want to know your name.”

She smiled again. “Oh, I’m Twilight Sparkle.”


Trixie snapped out of her thoughts, glancing around herself to take in her surroundings. It would seem that I zoned out. I’m already at the forest. She laughed before gazing up at the vast expanse of trees before her. I wonder how far I have to go to get the moss. Twilight said it was in the darkest depths of the forest. It shouldn’t be to difficult for The Great and Powerful Trixie to find some moss and get home. The azure mare flicked her mane out of her face and marched forward, trotting into the dense forest with her head held high.

She moved swiftly, ignoring the growing shadows that rose about her, focused on the task at hand. Her eyes stayed on the path that drove further into dense forest, her thoughts set on obtaining the moss. Hah! This is a joke! I don’t see why Twilight was so adamant about not coming. I haven’t seen anything other than trees and bushes. Trixie looked around, taking in the details of the trees in the waning light. The shadows played across the trunks and bushes creating rippling phantasms, drawing her attention and making her hair stand on end. It’s nothing, Trixie. Ignore it. Just shadows.

A soft rustling to her right caught her ear and she snapped her head to the source. She stared deep into the brush, trying to discern what had caused the noise, but was met with only silence. Must have been the wind.... She shuddered and quickened her pace, transitioning into a canter. She kept her eyes peeled, watching everything that passed, alert for anything else. The path flew past under her hooves, the branches seeming to reach out and grab her, pulling at her mane and lacing her body with small scratches. Her breathing was frantic as she struggled to keep up her pace. It’s just the wind. It’s just the wind....

More rustling, this time on her left. Trixie glanced to her left and almost jumped out of her skin. A massive wolf seemingly made of chunks of trees was matching her speed, drool trailing from its mouth. Trixie screamed and kicked into a gallop, running full speed through the closing path of trees, making sure to keep to the road. Her breathing grew ragged as she attempted to outrun the slavering beast, but no matter how hard she pushed, it continued to keep pace beside her, its gleaming yellow eyes piercing the darkness as they remained focused on her.

She cried out in despair, pushing herself as hard as she could in one final attempt to escape the fearsome predator. She sucked in as much air as she could with each breath, the burning in her legs and lungs intensifying until, finally, she could no longer run. Her hooves hurt from the constant pounding against the hard earth and, after nearly stumbling over her own legs, she slowed to a soft walk, panting. She heard a low growl as the timber wolf carefully moved closer. Her eyes watered, fear and exhaustion causing her whole body to fall into tremors.

The timber wolf drew nearer, baring its ivory teeth. Trixie huddled into a tight ball, terror overwhelming her, until a final thought of the lavender unicorn pierced through her fogged mind. I can’t stop now.... Twilight is depending on me. I am the Great and Powerful Trixie! No wolf is going to stop me!

She glared fiercely at the beast and her horn ignited in a soft pink glow. “The Great and Powerful Trixie kindly asks that you leave her be! Trixie is in a hurry and you are impeding my progress.” Her confidence was wavering, but she was determined to not fail Twilight.

The wolf eyed her warily, the unexpected defiance momentarily stunning it. It shook its head and growled crouching into an attack stance, its ravenous gaze causing the azure unicorn to flinch. It curled its mouth into something resembling a wicked smile and pounced. Trixie screamed in pain as the wolf’s jaws bit down onto her leg. Her horn’s glow died, but, just as quickly as it had left, then burst back to life as she fired off an instinctual spell. Fire flared from the wolf’s back causing it to howl in agony. It ran in circles, its focus on Trixie lost, in an attempt to shake off the searing flames. Its wooden skin crackled, quickly becoming engulfed entirely, before it fell to the ground, dead.

Trixie sighed in relief, ignoring her bleeding fore leg, before glancing back towards the path home. Her eyes widened , all hope destroyed. The fire is blocking the path....

--------------------------------------------

Twilight paced around the lobby of her library worriedly, her mind occupied by fears of any possible harm Trixie could come to. Ohh, why did I let her go? I should have tried to keep her from leaving. She glanced out the window towards the tops of trees denoting the Everfree Forest in the distance. She doesn’t know how dangerous the Everfree is. She danced on her hooves, anxiety gnawing away at her thoughts. I have to go help her! I don’t want her to get hurt just to prove a point even if it was to help me!

The unicorn’s brow furrowed into a glare of determination. “I’ll come get you Trixie, don’t worry!” She closed her eyes and focused. Her magic flared to life about her horn, illuminating the room in its magenta glow. She pictured the path just outside of the Everfree Forest, its dark earthen road flanked by soft grass under the cool shade of the looming trees. She imagined herself standing there, under the arching boughs, breathing in the alluring scent of the leaves as they swayed in the afternoon breeze.

Her horn flashed, enveloping her in a sparkle of white, and she disappeared. She felt her body simultaneously expand and contract as she instantaneously travelled the distance between her library home and the opening of the sinister forest. Her hooves touched to hard ground and she breathed in the hot choking air as smoke floated above her head. Wait.... Smoke? She looked into the sky and almost choked on rising sadness. “Oh no! Trixie!” Her fear flew freely into her mind and, without a moment’s hesitation, she galloped into the terrible forest in search of the azure showpony.

--------------------------------------------

Trixie coughed, staggering through the blinding smoke as she pulled herself along on three throbbing legs. Her forth was pulled up close to her body, bleeding onto the foliage littered ground. She blinked back tears as anguish filled her heart. I’m going to die in here. In this wretched forest. I can’t even do one simple task for the mare I-…. For Twilight. She moved faster, sweat trickling down her face as the flames around her inched nearer. Trixie had been moving constantly since the blaze began, limply further and deeper into the forest, but making sure to keep to the path. I so, desperately wish somepony.... anypony.... Twilight... would come and save me.

Her throat burned from all of the smoke she had inhaled. She knew not to breathe too deeply, trying to filter the air through her magic in an attempt to prevent a choking death, but her abilities had been fading as exhaustion continued to weather her stamina. She stumbled, tripping over a stray branch that had fallen onto the path after snapping away from the raging inferno, and slammed into the dirt, her face scraping against the rough ground. She let out a choking sob, her body racked with pain, and cried into the dirt and clutter. I’m so sorry, Twilight. I should have listened to you.... Please don’t let me die here....

She closed her eyes, feeling the unbearable heat closing in on her, cringing as the flames drew nearer to her stationary body. She braced herself for the excruciating pain of death by fire, a fate she had doomed the timber wolf and possible several other creatures to due to her distress. Her teeth clenched as the first licks of the fire danced across her fur, singing it as if tasting the unicorn before ravenously devouring her. She cried out in pain, and crawled further away, attempting, once more, to flee despite knowing her fate was decided. Then, a familiar pop sounded over the murderous cackle of the flames.


Twilight stopped at the edge of the growing inferno, a shimmering shield of magic encompassing her to stave off the burning effects of the fire. She glared at it spitefully as it stood in her way like a sentinel intent on keeping her from a castle’s hidden treasures. I won’t be able to walk through this fast enough to reach Trixie in time if the amount of smoke is any clue to how far it’s spread. I’ll have to teleport....

She concentrated once more, this time on the visible path before her, just at the edge of her vision, and popped over to that spot, her shield cooling the ground she appeared on. Another flash and she was even further, another splotch of dirt cooled by the effects of her magic. Dizziness pervaded her concentration, but she fought it and pressed on, the strain of magic growing with every sequential transition. She stopped after her fifteenth spell, her sight reeling as waves of nausea passed over her. She nearly lost control of her shield spell until the sight of a crawling blue form caught her eye, wavering with her vision.

The blue form looked back at her, a worn and exhausted face staring hopefully through the wall of flame. Twilight steeled her senses, forcing the disorientation away, and moved as swiftly as her tiring body would allow her towards the prone pony. Her shield momentarily pushed the flames closer to the unicorn, whose face twisted in pain as the fire lapped at her hooves, until covering her in its cool embrace. Twilight stood above Trixie, her eyes watering as tears began to flow freely from her tear ducts.

“Oh, Trixie.... I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have let you come out here....”

Trixie smiled weakly and raised herself onto her haunches. She gazed mournfully at the ground before raising her eyes to stare into Twilight’s. “Trixie is sorry as well. Trixie.... I should have listened to you, Twilight. I wasn’t expecting anything like this to happen. I just wanted to... make you happy....” She grimaced as the magical field faltered, allowing some of the heat to penetrate its defenses. “Do you...? Can you get us out?”

Twilight moved to nod, but almost fell to her hooves at the sudden movement. Her display answered for her. “No.... I used too much magic coming to find you. I can barely hold this shield right now. I won’t be able to sustain it much longer. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry....” She cried openly, her tears streaking her fur in dark lines. The shield wavered once more, the heat now steadily rising.

Trixie gazed at the lavender mare, her eyes soft and kind compared to their usual haughty state. She reached her hooves out and pulled Twilight into an embrace, nuzzling against her neck. “No, this is Trixie’s fault.... Trixie just.... I just wish we had more time.” She smiled weakly, her eyes closed as she spoke. “Do you remember the past few months, Twilight?”

The purple unicorn snickered despite the situation. “Of course I do, Trixie. I never forget anything. I still remember the first time I tried to cook for you. When you first came back to Ponyville. That was such a disaster.”

Trixie nodded, keeping her face against the soft velvet of Twilight’s neck. “It’s a good thing Trixie was around to help or else you’d have burned the tree down.” A sigh escaped Twilight’s muzzle as she relived the memory in her heard. Trixie continued. “Do you remember all the stuff we’ve done together? All the fun we’ve had and all the times we’ve argued?” Twilight nodded once more, this time remaining silent as she let the cerulean showpony speak her mind. “Trixie has... always wanted to tell you... how grateful she is for your kindness. I know I’m not always the most... likable pony, but you’ve never told me to leave even after a heated disagreement. It means a lot to me and, so do you, Twilight.”

Twilight’s breath caught in her throat. The heat was still rising, reaching almost unbearable levels, but her mind was focused entirely on her companion’s words. I mean a lot to her? Does that mean what I think it does? “I.... Do you mean that?” She pulled away from the hug, sweat coating her body, and stared into the purple pools of Trixie’s eyes. The mare nodded, as if answering both questions that danced in Twilight’s mind. “I.... You mean a lot to me as well, Trixie. I’ve always... kind of liked you. You were so bold and proud, even if a bit haughty at times.” She ignored the unicorn’s shocked glare. “You always helped me with my chores and with experiments even if you were obviously uncomfortable doing some of them. I never asked for anything in return for helping you, but you always returned my favors. And you’re quite beautiful....” She flushed slightly, casting her gaze to the roaring blaze.

Trixie smiled, her heart warmed, not from the heat, but from the repressed emotions stirring in her chest. She took a hoof and lifted the blushing mare’s chin, gently positioning it level with her own. They stared into each other’s eyes, enraptured by the shimmering beauty, before Trixie parted her lips, her mouth moving as five words flowed like a heavenly song. “I love you, Twilight Sparkle.”

Trixie pressed her lips to Twilight’s, their hearts connecting simultaneously with this one display of passion. It wasn’t a kiss of desperation or lust. It wasn’t a kiss started to spend their last moments together with somepony rather than dying alone. It was a single act of unbridled love. Their passion filled the small bubble around them, heating up the world alongside the sinister flames mere feet away. The shield faltered again, the scalding heat rising exponentially. They whimpered into each other’s mouths, their muzzles still locked together as they deepened the kiss, breathing through their noses so as not to break the moment.

Their bodies pressed closer together in order to stay as far from the fire as possible, but they both knew their time was running short. They pulled away, saliva linking their mouths like a bond of fate. Twilight smiled affectionately, her eyes glazed with passion. “I love you too, Trixie.” Their mouths met once more, this time with Twilight being the initiator. Their tongues danced against each other as they pressed their faces as tightly as they comfortably could. They moaned in delight until it all ended.

The shield fell.

Their horns touched.

Their emotions and distress manifested inside their horns and, after the contact, coalesced into a radiant light. The shield was renewed with a powerful burst of magic, the swirling orb of pink and magenta forcing the flames away and instantly cooled the air around them. They opened their eyes in surprise, having fully expected to die a horrible and excruciating death, but were forced to squeeze them shut again to block out the magnificent radiance of their horns. Electricity crackled in the air as their combined spell continued to take form, the powerful dual shield expanding in volume as hidden reserves of both of their magic poured into it. They braced themselves for whatever inevitable event that could occur, both of them wishing they were safely tucked away in the comfort of the library, cuddling together in each other’s embrace.

The world around them flashed in an intense white light, a momentary brightness that could easily rival the sun in its highest glory. They could no longer hear the roaring of the blaze, their ears now ringing with the after effects of extremely powerful magic. The pair dared to open their eyes, first catching the other’s gaze, before realizing they were not longer surrounded by the burning flames. They blinked and looked around, the walls of books around them bringing a familiar comfort to the unicorns.

Twilight smiled, relief flooding her sense and pushing the horrible experience out of her mind. Until she looked across Trixie’s body, noticing the blood coating her leg and stomach. “You’re hurt!” She squealed, shooting to her hooves and rushing to the lavatory for medical supplies. She returned moments later and carefully cleaned and dressed the wounded leg. She gazed at it forlornly, the events of the past hour playing over in her head. She looked out the glass door of her library, its balcony looking out towards the raging inferno engulfing the Everfree Forest. There were already teams of pegasi pushing rainclouds over the trees and dousing it with built up water.

“It’s going to take a while for them to stop this.” She stared at the massive expanse of flaming trees, her heart panged with sorrow for the unfortunate creatures that resided in the now uninhabitable section of forest.

Trixie nodded solemnly, and nudged Twilight with her hip. “Do you.... Do you know what happened? What was that magic? I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Twilight looked over at her, smiling wearily, the events showing their toll across the mare’s features. “That was the magic of love.” She didn’t know exactly what it was, but she could feel that her answer was correct. She giggled, remembering how reluctant she had been to accept Pinkie Pie’s ‘Pinkie Sense’ and at how easily she was accepting this. She leaned into the azure showpony’s side, Trixie doing the same, and used her as a support. “I just wish we could help the weather team.... I feel horrible for leaving them to take care of this on their own.”

Trixie kissed Twilight’s head, her smug smile returned. “Trixie does not see what Twilight could possibly hope to do in her current state.” Twilight sighed and Trixie nuzzled her softly, shifting uncomfortably off of her injured leg. “Trixie would not be able to assist them either. We shall find a way to make it up to them later, but, for now, we need to rest.”

Twilight nodded, accepting another kiss from her beloved showpony, before walking alongside her, their tails entwined in a mix of purple, icy blue, and pink, as they slowly made their way to the bed. A final kiss was shared between the mares as they curled around each other, each using the other for warmth against the chill wind conjured by the weather pegasi as they tried to fight the raging inferno that was the Everfree. “I love you, Trixie.”

“I love you too, Twilight....”

Comments ( 24 )

twixie <3

248636 Ikr? I was going to write a Twixie story as my first, but then ATFN popped up and I was like OMFG FUCK TWIXIE ITS MOONLIGHT TIME. But this has sated that hunger for now.

295668 For now? Well I hope you might do a sequel to this someday ^_^

Great story Peppy, I liked it.

I have the goofiest grin right now :twilightsmile:

Awesomesauce:pinkiegasp:

So much D'awwww :rainbowkiss:

295668And as a result you created Moonbeam
ALL HAIL THE ADORABLE OVERLORD MOONIE

450965 Heil Moon Beam! Heil den Fuhrer!

I like how this fic is suddenly relevant to the season finale :trollestia:

Late fav is late, but still warranted.

511904 The whole "magic of love" thing. Eerily similar, don't ya think?

511911 OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. That makes sense. lol. I didn't even notice that.

This is certainly one of my favorite ships. Keep up the good work Peppy :rainbowkiss:

Now why in th' name o' all that's revered and consecrated can't ya' make mo' astoundmentations like this 'ere one? By virtue of th' aught aggregation property o' arithmetic; factoring horse sex fer th' variable, Ah can conclude that this subjectively is one of yer' most relishable anecdotes.

1935585 It was also written in a few hours right before the deadline for the contest :rainbowlaugh:

Ah could only wish th't ya' could will ya'self to autha' more works o' th' literary persuasion sans the inducement of creativity fed by equine copulation or belletristic tournementation. Unrealatedly, in the hypothetical that my aesthetic muse happens to raise itself from the ethereal, and thus gift you with a piece of art, what would you wish said image to be composed of in a non horse sex persuasion?

1935624 Uhhh.... I could hardly understand that, cause sleepy, but I'm assuming you mean 'what would I like if you decided to draw some fanart'? If so, I do so feel there isn't enough adorable Twilight and Nightmare Moon 'mance pictures. I've seen, like, two.

2748453

Then I shall follow you...after these messages.

Realy good story. I love it. :twilightsmile:

Beautiful. Thank you :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment