• Published 3rd Jul 2013
  • 726 Views, 54 Comments

Life's Last Breath - jtc09999



Equestria is coming to an end as an infection sweeps the land. Who will survive?

  • ...
5
 54
 726

Chapter 4: On The Run

Rainbow had never ran faster in her life. With Sweetie Bell on her back, and multiple hoofers hot in pursuit, she knew that if she even slowed a little, they would both die.

“Keep running!” Sweetie Bell screamed on Rainbow’s back.

“What do you think I’m doing?!” She harshly replied. Since the foal was on her back, Rainbow couldn’t fly. A few months before, she was in a fight with a group of bandits. At the end, a horde of hoofers came and killed the bandits. One, before he died, fired a stray shot which hit Rainbow’s left wing. Twilight was able to remove the bullet, but now her wing was so weak she couldn't support more than her own weight while flying.

Rainbow made a sharp turn and continued her full on sprint. She could no longer hear the hoof steps on the infected, but didn’t take the chance of death if she stopped. They made their way back to town, and took refuge in a building.

“I…. think we lost… them.” Rainbow said as she breathed heavily. She set Sweetie Bell down, and took out her radio that she always carried.

“This is Paradise to Believer, are you there?” She spoke into the radio.

Silence.

“Are you there, Believer?”

There was a crackling sound, and then a voice.

“This is Believer, I hear you Paradise.” Twilight’s voice said over radio. “What’s up?”

“The training went south; I need you to send somepony to my cords.” Rainbow said as she pressed a button on the radio. It began emitting the sound of a radar.

“I see you. What happened out there?” Twilight spoke with a tone of worry in her voice.

“I’ll tell you once we get back. Over and Out.” Rainbow switched the radio off, and placed it in her rucksack.

“What do we do now?” Sweetie Bell asked her.

“We stay put until-“ She was interrupted by an unrealistically loud scream that forced her and Sweetie to cover their ears. She crawled over to the window, and saw a horde beginning to form. In the middle was a plain infected, but it soon proved to be otherwise. It looked down, and Rainbow saw its head split apart, revealing the creatures brain and jaw. Many tentacle-like muscles came out of its mouth, and it looked up into the sky and screamed. The two ponies covered their ears again, and the Pegasus saw a large group of infected run towards the creature.

“What is that?!?!” Sweetie asked frantically.

“It’s a screamer.” Rainbow replied, emotionless. She looked around the shop, and found an earth pony’s corpse leaning up against the wall. Its head had appeared to have exploded due to the screamer’s scream. She spotted a small bag next to the pony, and snatched it up. It had a single grenade in it, along with a note.

If you don’t kill it, it will kill you with its scream.

Rainbow knew she had to kill that thing before they ended up like the pony. She pulled the pin on the grenade with her teeth, and quickly adjust the grenade into her mouth. As she ran towards the window, the screamer prepared another scream. Just as it was about to let it out, Rainbow threw the grenade. It Flew through the air, and landed right inside the Screamer’s mouth.

“GET DOWN!” Rainbow shouted as she pulled Sweetie to the ground with her. They both covered their heads with their hooves as the grenade exploded. Shouts from the infected were heard, and an object flew in from the window right in front of Sweetie. She looked in horror at the head of the screamer. Its forehead was cracked, exposing the brain, and it was missing and eye, on eye hanging out of the socket. She turned and vomited on the ground.

“LET’S GO!” Rainbow bellowed as she snatched Sweetie and out her on her back. She out her pistol in the grappler, and jumped out the window. A hoofer stumbled toward her, and she put a bullet in its head. Rainbow made her way through the remaining horde, Sweetie on back, knife in mouth, and gun in grappler.


-BACK AT CAMP-


“Twi, where is Rainbow?” Applejack asked Twilight, clearly worried.

“She just came in over the radio, she needs help.” She replied, loading a revolver. “I need you to go out and see if you can help.”

“Ok. What will ah’ be using?” AJ questioned. Twilight laid a grappler, combat knife, and revolver along with ammunition on the table.

“We’re short on weapons, so this is all can be spared. Spike would be searching for more weapons, but not since he…” Twilight trailed off as a tear rolled down her eye. “Not since he…. he…” She was now covering her eyes with a hoof, crying softly.

Applejack came to her side and put a hoof on her shoulder. “It’s ok, Twi. He’s in a MUCH better place than Equestria. It’s like Tartarus has come here in Equestria. The two ponies embraced in a hug.

“T-thanks AJ.” Twilight said softly as she broke the hug.

“No problem, Twi. Ah know it’s hard losing one whom you love. Ah' am also worried about App-“

“GIRLS!” Rarity screamed as she burst through the tent. “GIRLS! IT’S TERRIBLE! THIS IS THE WORST. POSSIBLE. THING TO HAPPEN!”

“Calm down, Rarity. What happened?” Twilight asked, head cocked.

“She’s probably out of shampoo again.” Applejack whispered in Twilight’s ear.

“It’s Fluttershy! She’s turned!”

Author's Note:

It's been awhile since i've uploaded, so i decided to take a break from MLD and write for this since it's my more popular fiction :)